Doctor Who

"The Lodger" is one of my favourite episodes this season. Really funny. Matt Smith is amazing.

The finale looks epic.

I just saw THE LODGER and it really pissed me off.

It's just too good dammit. I bloody love Doctor Who now. Now I've another show to add to my "to-watch" list. Stupid Doctor Who teaching me how to love again. :(

I just saw THE LODGER and it really pissed me off.

It's just too good dammit. I bloody love Doctor Who now. Now I've another show to add to my "to-watch" list. Stupid Doctor Who teaching me how to love again. :(

Is that the only episode you've seen this series?

He's totally mine too.

He's such a kook one second, and then an immortal force of nature the next.

Last edited:
He's totally mine too.

He's such a kook one second, and then an immortal force of nature the next.

That was Two's shtick first. Four embodied a similar persona, as well.

Matt Smith's good, but is so far more an amalgamation of traits that characterized his predecessors. He's done very little to differentiate himself. Sometimes, I actually wonder if he's purposefully trying to imitate David Tennant's diction.

Last edited:
Epic.

I have no idea what is going to happen next. Exciting.

I presume the person piloting the TARDIS was the same person who built one in the previous episode. And that person sounded a lot like Davros.

Last edited:
It will be 45 minutes of black screen. What else could it be?
Everything is dead. Even the universe.
And people thought THE SOPRANOS was bold and artsy. :noway:

I thought this was okay. The first parts of finales (and two-part episodes in general) tend to be pretty formulaic. Rory being an Auton (and "killing" Amy) was stupid, too. Eleven got to have another great "I am the Doctor and I am so clever and you should all run away screaming" moment, which I tend to enjoy. It's starting to feel a bit like hollow boasting at this point, though.

Hopefully the conclusion will be satisfactory, rather than attempting at an anticlimactic cliffhanger in the way that the RTD finales tended to. I sort of doubt it, though.

TWO THINGS OF INCREDIBLE DOUBLE-COOL:

Firstly, the finale airs in the UK on 26/06/2010. :rockon:

Secondly, do you remember in FLESH AND STONE when the Doctor leaves Amy with the four soldiers in the hydroponics forest, going off with River Song and the Bishop? And do you remember that he then just comes back and tells her to trust him, that she has to remember what he told her when she was 7, says it's very important and then tenderly kisses her on the forehead and leaves?

Do you remember that the scene made no gorram sense?

Do you remember that he had no jacket on because he wriggled out of it in order to escape the Weeping Angels and left it in their stone hands?

Yeah, go back and watch that scene again. He leaves Amy, then returns wearing his jacket with his sleeves rolled up. And he's telling her to remember and that it's very important. And then straight again he's back to his jacketless self.

And guess what, in the pilot, there is a shadow in Amy's house as the Doctor leaves her, and the shadow is in the kitchen, not the room, and it is clearly wearing a jacket and looks nothing like Prisoner Zero.

The theory I've heard is that The Doctor will go back into his own past to somehow prevent him from being forgotten in the cracks or something and while the reason for doing this is up in the air it is awesome if true because it means Moffat is bloody brilliant at foreshadowing. It reminds me of Morrison's ANIMAL MAN. I am so jazzed for the finale. :rockon:

(I will be so disappointed if it's a continuity error because that moment between them now makes sense. He's trying to get her to remember him. Maybe that's why there's no ducks in the duck pond... I can't wait.)

Last edited:
It's not a continuity error. Everyone has thought the same thing you have. We can't all be wrong.

I've read theories similar to the one that Bass posted, all of varying detail and validity. In terms of Who speculation, Bass' hypothetical foreshadowing/time displacement is pretty solid, not to mention likely, given Moffat's penchant for leaving little clues in all of his stories.

I'm really looking forward to the conclusion of this, though, I'm sort of worried that the payoff will be less interesting than the speculation (as it tends to be).

It's not a continuity error. Everyone has thought the same thing you have. We can't all be wrong.

After 20+ years of reading superhero comics, I've learnt never to underestimate the ability for a writer to completely fubar his own ending for no reason.

I've read theories similar to the one that Bass posted, all of varying detail and validity. In terms of Who speculation, Bass' hypothetical foreshadowing/time displacement is pretty solid, not to mention likely, given Moffat's penchant for leaving little clues in all of his stories.

I'm really looking forward to the conclusion of this, though, I'm sort of worried that the payoff will be less interesting than the speculation (as it tends to be).

I'd ask you to hold me because I'm so scared but I don't want you to touch me with your cold, black-hearted Doctor Who hating flesh.

After 20+ years of reading superhero comics, I've learnt never to underestimate the ability for a writer to completely fubar his own ending for no reason.

I'd ask you to hold me because I'm so scared but I don't want you to touch me with your cold, black-hearted Doctor Who hating flesh.

Heh. I've loved Who for as long as I can remember being alive; that said, I'm completely aware of the series' widely varying quality levels. Contrary to popular belief, I've actually loved this season, as the ratio of "embarrassing campiness" to "unbelievable coolness" has been surprisingly balanced. I'd say it's comparable to season 3 of the new series; an inconsistent companion, but nicely constructed myth arc (the Cracks in Time vs. The chameleon watch and "You Are Not Alone"), with quite a few standout episodes. A few mediocre ones too, to be sure, but given the consistency of the myth-arc, I can live with it. Hopefully "The Big Bang" will be more satisfactory than "The Last of The Time Lords", which was one of the most disappointing conclusions to an otherwise-strong narrative I've ever encountered.

I'm slightly more critical of Matt Smith than most of my contemporaries, that's for sure. On the other hand, I also like him more than most of his detractors. New Doctors tend to be so divisive in fandom, and this definite, polarizing "Love it or hate it" attitude seems really silly to me. Eleven hasn't had enough time to establish himself amongst the greats, but he's also never really faltered in his performance. Right now, I'm sort of squarely in the middle, mostly because Eleven is so much fun to watch; Nine and Ten were so humanized. It made them sympathetic and relatable, but the heroic qualities that The Doctor often does (and definitely should) embody suffered as a result. They felt like the protagonists of a Greek Tragedy, not a sci fi adventure show. Eleven has definitely elevated The Doctor back up to the culturally iconic heroism that he's famous for, and I really appreciate that, even if he's sort of harping on Tom Baker's whole routine.

Interestingly enough, I read a theory by Mark Waid (of all people), where he pointed out the inconsistencies of the same sequences as Bass did. He thought that he saw a vortex manipulator watch on The Doctor's wrist, but upon closer inspection, it's obviously just Eleven's normal watch. I guess the only logical conclusion is that Bass is smarter than Mark Waid. Who knew.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back