Doctor Who

River Song did have a vortex manipulator...
and there is lots of concept art from the next episode, including the Pandorica in different time periods and The Doctor next to the vortex manipulator!

Last edited:
Heh. I've loved Who for as long as I can remember being alive; that said, I'm completely aware of the series' widely varying quality levels. Contrary to popular belief, I've actually loved this season, as the ratio of "embarrassing campiness" to "unbelievable coolness" has been surprisingly balanced. I'd say it's comparable to season 3 of the new series; an inconsistent companion, but nicely constructed myth arc (the Cracks in Time vs. The chameleon watch and "You Are Not Alone"), with quite a few standout episodes. A few mediocre ones too, to be sure, but given the consistency of the myth-arc, I can live with it. Hopefully "The Big Bang" will be more satisfactory than "The Last of The Time Lords", which was one of the most disappointing conclusions to an otherwise-strong narrative I've ever encountered.

I was so excited to see John Simm as the Master and it was so awesome and that finale was just such a nonsense. But then, all of the Davies finales were rubbish. Every. Single. One. And then, what maddens me more and more, is that after he does the crappy ending and resolves it all, he puts an excellent tag scene on the end of it. The Doctor begging the Master to travel in time with him; the Doctor's tirade at Wilfred for getting locked in the rad chamber... brilliant. So why all the crappy reset button technobabble before, dammit?!?!?!

Also, for me, the current season stacks up like this; it's worst episodes are better than the worst episodes of the previous seasons. And it's best episodes are better (with the exception of Moffat's BLINK). The whole show, for me, has just done a giant leap forward in quality in every respect. Before, DOCTOR WHO, as you say, had a ratio between embarrassing and unbelievable, and I think this season is just a ratio between "pretty nice" and "holy hell, that was the bestest thing evar".

I'm slightly more critical of Matt Smith than most of my contemporaries, that's for sure. On the other hand, I also like him more than most of his detractors. New Doctors tend to be so divisive in fandom, and this definite, polarizing "Love it or hate it" attitude seems really silly to me. Eleven hasn't had enough time to establish himself amongst the greats, but he's also never really faltered in his performance. Right now, I'm sort of squarely in the middle, mostly because Eleven is so much fun to watch; Nine and Ten were so humanized. It made them sympathetic and relatable, but the heroic qualities that The Doctor often does (and definitely should) embody suffered as a result. They felt like the protagonists of a Greek Tragedy, not a sci fi adventure show. Eleven has definitely elevated The Doctor back up to the culturally iconic heroism that he's famous for, and I really appreciate that, even if he's sort of harping on Tom Baker's whole routine.

You hate everything, unlike me who never complains ever.

Also, Doctor Who is a crappy Bill & Ted.

We were all thinking it, now you don't have to live the lie.

Interestingly enough, I read a theory by Mark Waid (of all people), where he pointed out the inconsistencies of the same sequences as Bass did. He thought that he saw a vortex manipulator watch on The Doctor's wrist, but upon closer inspection, it's obviously just Eleven's normal watch. I guess the only logical conclusion is that Bass is smarter than Mark Waid. Who knew.

ME ME ME I KNEW!!!! :p

Last edited:
GERONIMO!

Also; I wear a fez now. Fezzes are cool.

Awesome finale. That is how you hit a reset button.

:D

Also, I find Daleks to be very cute and not even remotely threatening.

I kinda want to hug them. In my head, they have the texture of plushies.

Now that is how you do a finale. I thought it was fantastic and I'm actually glad not everything was wrapped up because now I'm excited for the next season. I'm also happy that Rory is back to being a companion.

Eeeek best series of Doctor Who I've ever seen.

And now the wait for the Christmas special begins. Murder on the Orient Express!

I also like the idea that this was all an escape plan for Omega.

Last edited:
I doubt Omega has anything to do with this. Moffat invented River Song, Cap'n Jack, the Weeping Angels, and the Pandorica. In an interview, he said (in a way that puts Marvel and DC to shame) that it would make no difference if he couldn't use any past characters at all in the show, and that the show shouldn't be about old characters because it's unfair to the new audience. So while we get Daleks and Cybermen, I'd be surprised if the big bad behind the Silence turns out to be an old character. DOCTOR WHO speculation is filled with every new threat being something pre-existing, since that's what Davies set as precedent in his four seasons, but I think Moffat is all about the new.

Also, I'm excited to find out who River Song is. Originally, she annoyed me, but I've very quickly fallen in love with her.

Last edited:
Really Great episode - one of the best finales of anything - still leaving some questions for me:

Is rory still auton or is it all reset? does he regain the memories he had before he got sucked into the crack? so he doesn't remember the 2000 years as centurion?

I figure if hes really Amy's memory given flesh there's the possiblilty that they both get re-created. Or that the one created is an amalgamation.....i was so hoping that his hand would crack open and that would trigger amy's memory of the doctor but the old/new/borrow/blue tardis thing was awsome too, thought i didn't quite follow the empty book. other than the front cover looked like a tardis...

Last edited:
The empty book was River Song's diary and it should be filled with notes on the Doctor but it's empty, and seeing it jump started Amy's memory, priming her for the "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue."

It's also possible that Steven Moffat is being doubly-sneaky and the wedding saying also applies to River Song's diary.

It's old; River's had it for years, but it's new as it hasn't been written yet.

Could it be 'borrowed'? It's possible it's not River's diary at all. She might have killed someone and took it from them and pretended that it's hers every time she met the Doctor. That's why she has to carry it around and consult it every time they meet; because she didn't experience those things, she read about them in a book.

And it is, of course, blue.

Holy Crap... Moffat jut delivered the finest finale of all the modern-day Doctor Who series... Like wow, holy crap, I'm still reeling quite a bit from the viewing experience. I'm interested in seeing how well this series comes together as a whole, but watching it as I have been, I think I might be won over by the eleventh doctor... now I love nine and ten dearly, but Eleven is a marvelous creature, and I hope to god he sticks around for a good long time.

I'm also interested to see how quickly River Song gets "introduced" in the upcoming series... It really would be something if there was almost a team element to the series... I know that the Doctor has had a group of companions in the past, but I'm interested to see how it works.

Each season has three two-parters, so I'm going to assume that episodes 4+5 or 8+9 will be the "Who is River Song?" episodes and the finale of 12+13 will be a River Song and Silence will Fall culmination.

Also: Geronimo. I've watch the finale several times already. It's ridiculous how much I have fallen in love with Moffat and Smith's 11th Doctor.

thumbnail.php

So I have seen both of Doctor Ten's episodes of Sarah Jane Adventures, and both of Doctor Eleven's episodes on Sarah Jane Adventures, and they were fun.

The kid Clyde looks alot like Mickey.

[video=youtube;mPJrluC0FXE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPJrluC0FXE&feature=player_embedded[/video]
Rory is in his Roman armor & Amy in her cop message gram costume. Hmmm....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back