Doomsday

thee great one

Master of TOG-fu.
Well I downloaded some Doomsday issues to decided if I should get the Superman-Doomsday Onimbus. Wow. Just wow. Doomsday is a cool villain but wtf were they doing with him.

First, the Hunter Prey mini. I never read something so awesome and horrible at the same time. I mean it was awesome to watch and see Doomsday slaughter people and cause mass destruction on Darkseid's planet. Even pwn Darkseid, who blasted the living **** out of with his omega beams and still stood, but everything else was horrid. The art, the story, the dialogue. I was skipping parts to see Doomsday.

Then I read the Doomsday Annual. He meets with the Darkseid for the first time again and they fight, I skipped most of it. Then he runs into a Green Lantern hundred of years ago. Kills it and uses it's ring to go to Oa. Doomsday. Using a green lantern ring. And that's not even the dumbest thing.

Then the Doomsday wars. It starts with Superman in a cheesy battle with Brainiac. Who had a cheesy orange goatee.:? He beats him. He finds out that Lana and Pete had a premature baby due to a car accident. So he starts flying the baby is a special container (which I find weird that they are in Smallville and the baby won't make it though the night cause they don't have the right equipment but they have high tech stuff to let Superman carry him) .

Meanwhile Doomsday shows up and whoops Morrison's version of the JL. Turns out he can talk now. He accidentally runs into Superman while he is on his way to the hospital. Turns out that Brainiac took over Doomsday which made no sense what so ever. He steals the baby to grow and new body. And then somewhere down the line he gets telepathic powers out of nowhere.
I didn't even finish it.

I like Doomsday. I need to see him do something cool. Not like Austin's Action Comics following Superman's influence in the future fighting Gog or whatever.

The whole point of this was to say I'm not buying the trade.

Last edited:
I like Doomsday, but I don't know why. The only thing I've seen him in that I thought was good was the Justice League cartoon. But I was already loving Doomsday long before. I think I like his origin and how he first appeared. I'm not sure.

ultimatedjf said:
I know not much about DC, but isn't ALL STAR sort of like an Ultimate line?

Kinda, but not really. It just gives the best creators in comics a chance to create stories about characters withut continuity affecting them.

As much as I hate to admit it, I have a soft spot in my heart for Doomsday and the whole Death/Return of Superman storyline.

That said, I have NO idea what happened to Doomsday after Fake Cyborg Superman hurled him into space. Someone spoil me.

I haven't heard of this Doomsday Omnibus - I'm going to look it up, but in the meantime if someone could post some info about it I'd appreciate it.

ultimatedjf said:
I know not much about DC, but isn't ALL STAR sort of like an Ultimate line?

Sooooort of.

All-Star is more like extended Elseworlds runs, than the Ultimate line.

It's like the Ultimate line in that it is independent from the 'official' continuity, however, it is unlike the Ultimate line in that the All-Star line isn't a universe (All-Star Batman and All-Star Superman don't co-exist in so far as we know), nor is it an ongoing thing. All-Star Superman is a 12-issue maxi-series, not an ongoing. Also, All-Star Batman reimagines Batman from the get-go much like the Ultimate line does, but All-Star Superman is just Superman. There's no reimagining.

So really, it's just more like extended Elseworlds runs, not the Ultimate line.

Bass said:
(All-Star Batman and All-Star Superman don't co-exist in so far as we know)

Superman and Lois Lane were talking about Batman and Robin in All-Star Superman #2. Whether or not it is specifically "All-Star Batman" they are talking about - I dunno (not sure if that's what you were saying).

I remember an old episode of the Superman cartoon where he fought Doomsday. I don't really remember it, but I remember it was an awesome fight.

E said:
Superman and Lois Lane were talking about Batman and Robin in All-Star Superman #2. Whether or not it is specifically "All-Star Batman" they are talking about - I dunno (not sure if that's what you were saying).

That's pretty much it.

Ice said:
I remember an old episode of the Superman cartoon where he fought Doomsday. I don't really remember it, but I remember it was an awesome fight.

He fights Doomsday in the Justice League Unlimited episode, "The Doomsday Sanction" which is a rocking episode.

Bass said:
That's pretty much it.

He fights Doomsday in the Justice League Unlimited episode, "The Doomsday Sanction" which is a rocking episode.
Yeah the Timmverse is the only series that were out after the whole death of superman thing, so Im not sure were you saw this

E said:
As much as I hate to admit it, I have a soft spot in my heart for Doomsday and the whole Death/Return of Superman storyline.

That said, I have NO idea what happened to Doomsday after Fake Cyborg Superman hurled him into space. Someone spoil me.

I haven't heard of this Doomsday Omnibus - I'm going to look it up, but in the meantime if someone could post some info about it I'd appreciate it.

Did you even read my post. I told you all about it. The issues I named are in there.

Some space savages find him and he still alive. They are headed to Apokolips. Doomsday slaughters them all and ends up there and slaughters everyone. And it turns out that the Cyborg Superman is with him and is following him.

Darkseid trys to fight him and gets whooped.

Meanwhile Superman has nightmares about him and wants to find his body. He finds out about Apokolips and goes there. He fights with Cyborg and Doomsday with help from Darkseid. Waverider shows up and explains his origin which I skipped most of cause it was boring and lame, but I've read other places that he was created on Krypton and then other places, so I'm confused. Well at the end Waverider traps him at the end of the timestream.

That was Hunter-Prey.

The Doomsday annual is a bunch of short stories with him in his past adventures. Like meeting Darkseid and fighting him. And killing a Green Latern and using his ring and fighting a guardian. It sucked

Then the Doomsday War which I explained up top. That Doomsday was freed from the end of time because of the events of Zero Hour.

Then I guess somewhere he was given to Darksied. First in Loeb's Superman/Batman comic, Darkseid kidnaps Supergirl but uses a army of cloned weaker Doomsday to fight Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and the Amazons. That rocked.

Then in Chuck Austin's Action Comics, some Darkseid lackeys show up in the city. Superman fights them and finds out that he was given intellgence and escaped. Over the next few issues Superman fights and gets whooped by a man named Gog (who has something to do with Kingdom Come). Meanwhile Doomsday staying hidin and learning stuff. Helps a kid get a cat out of a tree. And then kills him and feeling sad.

Superman gets poisoned by Gog and starts becoming old and weaker and also fights Presus who had the same powers as him.

Then it is heard that Doomsday is heading to Metropolis. The JLA show up and get attacked by an army of Gog's while Doomsday watches. Gog is a time traveller who is using different verisons of himself in time. He's about to kill the old Superman when Doomsday shows up and saves him. Gog tells him that he is at his house right now and will kill his family. He can save them but he has to leave Metropolis to them. He won't go and Gog defeats him. Then God takes over. Heros all over started the Legion of Supermen and when they were strong enough came for him. The battle lasted one hundred years. Doomsday led the legion becoming inspired by Superman. Turns out that he didn't kill Superman and still has him alive. Who is a frail old man. Gog keeps asking that he will change this if Superman took one life. He refuses. So then Doomsday breaks in and Superman dies. Gog as a change of heart.

Then back to the present all of the army of Gog expect one and the poison in Superman vanishes. Superman punches Gog and flies to his family, where he finds a dead Gog who was killed by the future Gog and Doomsday who warns them of a coming crisis.

That wasn't as bad as you think. I enjoyed the Action Comics. The rest is crap. Trust me. It's crap.

I loved Doomsday in Justice League. When he first showed up and whooped the Justice Lords. Awesome.

"I came to this planet to fight the best. I'm not impressed"

Last edited:
Cool - thanks TUG.

Just $19.99 for this omnibus - I'll be picking it up.

E said:
Cool - thanks TUG.

Just $19.99 for this omnibus - I'll be picking it up.

I hope your kidding. I was. It sucks. Bad.

The Action Comics aren't in it.

They are in the two trades "In The Name Of Gog" and "Wrath Of Gog"

I can send you the issues.

thee great one said:

I hope your kidding. I was. It sucks. Bad.

I already said I have a soft spot for Doomsday. I couldn't explain it if I tried, so don't ask.

The only time Doomsday was cool was in JLU:

doomsday1ox.jpg

Latest posts

Back