Dreamcasting # 11 - Justice Society Of America

I read an issue of this today , It was pretty cool. After reading I have to say I love your list DSF

Bass has a cast with some good choices, but I'm not following him on the big three, aside from Stallone... Morgan Freeman, I don't know, it just doesn't really work for me... And being a huge Flash fan, I don't really follow the reasoning behind the connection between him and little black sambo. And I'm all for race-swapping when it fits, Michael Clarke Duncan was and is the perfect choice for Wilson Fisk. Robert Redford isn't clicking either, but not for any good reason.

Ah, forgot those were Bass' choice for GL and the Flash. Yeah... I totally agree with you. Those were other ones I recast in my mini-dreamcast there.

I won't lie....I have no interest in this book so I can't do a proper cast.

The only person I care about casting is Mr.Terrific......and that role would be played by none other than Jamie Foxx.

Sorry folks.

I won't lie....I have no interest in this book so I can't do a proper cast.

The only person I care about casting is Mr.Terrific......and that role would be played by none other than Jamie Foxx.

Sorry folks.

You gave Mighty Avengers #1 5 stars but don't like JSA or Transformers? :shifty: :shock: DOOM is behind the Ultimate Conspiracy!

Bass doesn't win at all. Some of his picks are good, but so are many of the other entrants. I need some big amalgamation of them all.

Obviously a big amalgamation would be the best thing, but so far Bass' is the list who I have the least gripes with.

Hopefully Bluebeast will continue what I hope will be a tradition within the dreamcasting - the creator of the round ends the round with a cast they choose, but only from the previous entries of other posters.

And I think I say for everyone - this has been one of the best Dreamcasting rounds yet. Every single entry is just filled with superb choices. Among my favourites are Malcolm McDowell or Jeremy Irons as Dr Fate and Rip Torn as Vandal Savage.

Great round so far, well done Bluebeast!

Bass still wins by a longshot.

More people need to participate in the Blade Runner thread.

Thanks! I do plan on doing Blade Runner.

Bass has a cast with some good choices, but I'm not following him on the big three, aside from Stallone... Morgan Freeman, I don't know, it just doesn't really work for me... And being a huge Flash fan, I don't really follow the reasoning behind the connection between him and little black sambo. And I'm all for race-swapping when it fits, Michael Clarke Duncan was and is the perfect choice for Wilson Fisk. Robert Redford isn't clicking either, but not for any good reason.

Well, y'see, I thought about this and I picked Freeman for two major reasons - first was the Little Black Sambo element. When Freeman was growing up, all 7 decades ago, racism was very prevalent, and one major element of the perception of negroes at that time involved them running (because they were a primitive people who were hunted down and enslaved by white men). "Eenie meenie miney moe, catch a nigger by his toe..." and so on. There's a lot of references to that a hundred years ago - especially around the time when Freeman and Jay Garrick would be growing up. Also in the 30s, a black man won the track events in front of the Nazi party during the Olympics - black men running fast became a huge cultural icon that empowered the black people in the first world. I thought casting Morgan Freeman in that role would be a rather poignant tribute to that time. (As would making him a boxer, but that would either overlap with Wildcat, or mean a black man would play Wildcat, and I don't think you can do a better Wildcat than Stallone. Maybe Eastwood.)

The second reason was this - I dislike castings where the major characters are of the same stock. I like variety. One of my problems with Compound's trio is that Arkin, Hopkins, and Kietel, are all short, balding, white men. Whilst each is a superb and accomplished actor, and actually a wonderful choice, I feel together, they become a little less so. Part of the reason to take such a distinctive actor like Freeman and place him next to Redford and Stallone is that all three will allow the other two to become more prominent - Redford with his Californian looks, Stallone with his 'bruiser' complexion and dark hair, and Freeman, a black man with grey hair. Visually, I think they compliment. (As for Redford, if you look at the picture Bluebeast posted of the Green Lantern on the first page - damn if they don't look the same.)

One thing I would say is that I don't actually know the JSA characters that well, and in that regard, I may have miscast, I dunno. But I think visually, and in terms of stage presence, those three would work really well together, especially opposite Brad Pitt.

I am, however, totally behind Christopher Lloyd as Dr. Fate and Bruce Campbell as Hawkman (I want somebody to photoshop that picture into a Hawkman pic). And Leonard Nimoy is simply the perfect choice for The Spectre.

Thanks!

I say again - I really think the quality in everyone's entries - EVERYONE'S - is really, really, astronomically, high. Big pat on the back for all of us, I think.

Last edited:
I intend to make the dream cast from previous choices.

Same here! Even though that's kind of cheating, but I don't see what's wrong with using other people's ideas as your own....Otherwise, how are we supposed to form new ideas....

I don't read JSA....

>Morgan Freeman, Alan Arkin .... Jay Garrick/The Flash
>Robert Redford, Paul Newman* .... Alan Scott/Green Lantern
>Mickey Rourke .... Ted Grant/Wildcat
>???? .... Rick Tyler/Hourman
>Richard Brooks, Don Cheadle .... Mister Terrific
>Katee Sackhoff, Maria Bello .... Kara Zor-L/Power Girl
>Keifer Sutherland, Adam Baldwin .... Sanderson Hawkins/Sandman
>Olivia Wilde .... Courtney Whitmore/Stargirl
>Malcolm McDowell, Christopher Lloyd, James Cromwell .... Kent Nelson/Dr. Fate
>Henry Ian Cusick .... Carter Hall/Hawkman
>Ian McShane .... Dr. Mid-Nite
>Percy Daggs III .... Jakeem Thunder
>Leonard Nimoy .... Spectre
>Al Pacino .... Vandal Savage
>Gabriel Byrne, Terrence Stamp .... Mordru

*I thought Newman was dead, isn't he retired anyway?

Last edited:
Same here! Even though that's kind of cheating, but I don't see what's wrong with using other people's ideas as your own....Otherwise, how are we supposed to form new ideas....

I don't read JSA....

>Morgan Freeman, Alan Arkin .... Jay Garrick/The Flash
>Robert Redford, Paul Newman* .... Alan Scott/Green Lantern
>Mickey Rourke .... Ted Grant/Wildcat
>???? .... Rick Tyler/Hourman
>Richard Brooks, Don Cheadle .... Mister Terrific
>Katee Sackhoff, Maria Bello .... Kara Zor-L/Power Girl
>Keifer Sutherland, Adam Baldwin .... Sanderson Hawkins/Sandman
>Olivia Wilde .... Courtney Whitmore/Stargirl
>Malcolm McDowell, Christopher Lloyd, James Cromwell .... Kent Nelson/Dr. Fate
>Henry Ian Cusick .... Carter Hall/Hawkman
>Ian McShane .... Dr. Mid-Nite
>Percy Daggs III .... Jakeem Thunder
>Leonard Nimoy .... Spectre
>Al Pacino .... Vandal Savage
>Gabriel Byrne, Terrence Stamp .... Mordru

*I thought Newman was dead, isn't he retired anyway?

Well I was going to do this because I created the round and mine doesn't count. You can do it to just know it won't get voted for.

Oh....yeah, I didn't mean for it to count, I was just saying who I liked from other casts.

I want to keep the theme of the film of lineage, that is what the JSA is all about. The older JSA will realize that they aren't needed as much anymore as the younger team comes to the forefront as the promenant heroes on Earth. Basically Bass' synopsis would be best.

Flash: Martin Sheen
Martin%20Sheen-748718.jpg

Jay Garrick has to be the father figure to these young heroes, Martin Sheen is the nice polite grandpa who nocks out a supervillain in less than a second and then gives the younger members an ethics lesson. Bass' Morgan Freeman idea was brilliant, but Sheen matches it the most for me.

Green Lantern: Robert Redford
Robert_Redford.jpg

I had this one picked before I even started the round. Redford looks like Scott, and he's got the acting chops to play the leader of the old guard. Scott has to be the most responsible person on the team, Redford can handle that nicely.

Wildcat: Sylvester Stallone
264137~Sylvester-Stallone-Posters.jpg

This one's a no brainer. I would think Sly might get tired of the boxing role, but he has the attitude of Wildcat. Scott and Garrick want to get to know the younger generation, Wildcat wants to teach them how to fight.

Hourman: Jason Statham
__visit%20015.jpg

Hourman is the action star of the team. He's the one that runs out into battle without thinking because he's 'invinsible'. His teammates would find out his addiction to Miraclo and his longing to be a bigger star than his father was. Statham is the quintessential action star, it just makes sense.

Mr. Terrific: Don Cheadle
17don1.jpg

I wasn't to sure on who to pick for Terrific because he's probably the hardest person to cast. He's essentially the perfect man, a genius, star athlete, all around nice guy. Cheadle is a great actor and is likable in all of his roles, I think he's the right Mr. Terrific.

Power Girl: Katee Sackhoff
108646231_315b4fca4a.jpg

She is Power Girl, looks, attitude, she's perfect for it. 'Nuff said.

Sandman: Cillian Murphy
1136912375_cillian-murphy-01-758160.jpg

Sanderson Hawkins is a troubled soul. He has these fantastic abilities and was raised by his greatest hero, but he was robbed of decades of his life. He almost never talks and is basically the detective of the team. Cillian has the look and feel down. All you really need is his voice because he has Wesley Dodd's old mask on most of the time.

Stargirl: Emma Roberts
emma_roberts.jpg

While an unknown would be good, Roberts would be good as well. All she really needs to do is be the young girl in utter awe of her elder teammates, especially Power Girl.

Dr. Fate: Christopher Lloyd
w490425-view.jpg

I like the Dr. Fate is thought of as a crackpot theory. Just imagine Lloyd walking around talking to himself (really Nabu) as his teammates watch on. It would be brilliant to see him come in at the end as the savior of his team and to see everyone else go "oh ****, we were wrong."

Vandal Savage: Brad Pitt
039_44145~Brad-Pitt-Posters.jpg

Brad Pitt would be great as Vandal Savage. The elder JSA would try and prove that he was the great enemy of the team. It would be a complete shock to every one at the end that they were right. Plus it helps that Pitt's a great actor.

Second part continued.

Last edited:
I just realized how this makes that second chunk of casting quite Buffy-centric... but I think everyone can handle that...

My New Power Girl:

eliza.jpg

Power Girl – Eliza Dushku : Probably the hardest person to cast. I've always seen PG as a more severe version of Supergirl… Someone who wouldn't think twice of kicking the *** of some obnoxious idiot. Trying to outline the basic idea of what sort of character I wanted PG to be, the biggest thing to come to mind was Dushku's performance as Faith Lehane in the Buffy series. Obviously she'd need to dye her hair or get a wig, but when it comes down to it, the character potential outweighs the basic look. This version of PG will be reckless and unappreciative of the old guys pushing her around, eventually leaving the team, only to come back for the final battle. Her relationship with Dr. Mid-Nite will be what keeps her in line while she's with the team.

Hey guys, how about John Corbett as Hawkman? I've never seen him act, I cast him from his picture.

I'm against casting Jason Statham, because he plays the same role in every movie. Bald British badass with a deep voice. Because he is a bald British badass with a deep voice. But that doesn't make him a good actor.

Last edited:
Hey guys, how about John Corbett as Hawkman? I've never seen him act, I cast him from his picture.

I'm against casting Jason Statham, because he plays the same role in every movie. Bald British badass with a deep voice. Because he is a bald British badass with a deep voice. But that doesn't make him a good actor.

Hourman's american so Statham would have to use an accent.

I want to keep the theme of the film of lineage, that is what the JSA is all about. The older JSA will realize that they aren't needed as much anymore as the younger team comes to the forefront as the promenant heroes on Earth. Basically Bass' synopsis would be best.

Flash: Martin Sheen
Martin%20Sheen-748718.jpg

Jay Garrick has to be the father figure to these young heroes, Martin Sheen is the nice polite grandpa who nocks out a supervillain in less than a second and then gives the younger members an ethics lesson. Bass' Morgan Freeman idea was brilliant, but Sheen matches it the most for me.

Green Lantern: Robert Redford
Robert_Redford.jpg

I had this one picked before I even started the round. Redford looks like Scott, and he's got the acting chops to play the leader of the old guard. Scott has to be the most responsible person on the team, Redford can handle that nicely.

Wildcat: Sylvester Stallone
264137~Sylvester-Stallone-Posters.jpg

This one's a no brainer. I would think Sly might get tired of the boxing role, but he has the attitude of Wildcat. Scott and Garrick want to get to know the younger generation, Wildcat wants to teach them how to fight.

Hourman: Jason Statham
__visit%20015.jpg

Hourman is the action star of the team. He's the one that runs out into battle without thinking because he's 'invinsible'. His teammates would find out his addiction to Miraclo and his longing to be a bigger star than his father was. Statham is the quintessential action star, it just makes sense.

Mr. Terrific: Don Cheadle
17don1.jpg

I wasn't to sure on who to pick for Terrific because he's probably the hardest person to cast. He's essentially the perfect man, a genius, star athlete, all around nice guy. Cheadle is a great actor and is likable in all of his roles, I think he's the right Mr. Terrific.

Power Girl: Katee Sackhoff
108646231_315b4fca4a.jpg

She is Power Girl, looks, attitude, she's perfect for it. 'Nuff said.

Sandman: Cillian Murphy
1136912375_cillian-murphy-01-758160.jpg

Sanderson Hawkins is a troubled soul. He has these fantastic abilities and was raised by his greatest hero, but he was robbed of decades of his life. He almost never talks and is basically the detective of the team. Cillian has the look and feel down. All you really need is his voice because he has Wesley Dodd's old mask on most of the time.

Stargirl: Emma Roberts
emma_roberts.jpg

While an unknown would be good, Roberts would be good as well. All she really needs to do is be the young girl in utter awe of her elder teammates, especially Power Girl.

Dr. Fate: Christopher Lloyd
w490425-view.jpg

I like the Dr. Fate is thought of as a crackpot theory. Just imagine Lloyd walking around talking to himself (really Nabu) as his teammates watch on. It would be brilliant to see him come in at the end as the savior of his team and to see everyone else go "oh ****, we were wrong."

Vandal Savage: Brad Pitt
039_44145~Brad-Pitt-Posters.jpg

Brad Pitt would be great as Vandal Savage. The elder JSA would try and prove that he was the great enemy of the team. It would be a complete shock to every one at the end that they were right. Plus it helps that Pitt's a great actor.

Second part continued.

HELLZ YES! ^____________^

Hourman's american so Statham would have to use an accent.

So far, he hasn't proved he has the acting ability to do so. As for the Dr. Fate crackpot theory, man, every time somewhat pitches someone with a crackpot theory these days, it sounds too much like Ultimate Thor. Nothing against you or anything.

So far, he hasn't proved he has the acting ability to do so. As for the Dr. Fate crackpot theory, man, every time somewhat pitches someone with a crackpot theory these days, it sounds too much like Ultimate Thor. Nothing against you or anything.

I wasn't meaning it to be anything like Thor. The other people know that Dr. Fate is the sorceror supreme, they just think his brain's fried from old age or something.

I like his Morgan Freeman as Flash, though the story he was referring to, Little Black Sambo, was the subject of much controversy when it was released in 1899 because the boy on the cover was depicted as a black kid with an afro and big lips, and apparently "sambo" is a racial slur for black people. I did some research (Wikipedia).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back