Dreamcasting # 12 - The Flash

they do in comparison to say

might just be a tan but skin is darker so I thought black

Didn't say you did insult them , It's cool dude I prefer it when someone says "Wait that wouldn't work because ..." as you did , so if there is another flash one I can learn from it

What does the box have to do with anything?

look at the skin

compared with two , the one on the left looks black

Yes compare two different series with one being a still from the show and the other being extra box art. And yes they are different series that are sevferal year apart. not good for comparing

And Captain Cold is wearing a hood, which creates an effect known as shadow.

THE FLASH

So this took me ages because I couldn't think of how to do it. Then, I decided on this - the film opens with Flash (Barry Allen) doing Flash things against his arch-nemesis, Zoom. It's the high-octane pre-credits opening, with lots of fun fast-paced action like a typical Bond flick.

And at the end, Barry Allen is killed.

Or paralysed or something. Basically, he's not Flash anymore. That's how it opens.

Afterwards, we get the Flash "origin" story, however, unlike most superhero films, this film is actually more like SIN CITY in that it's an anthology. The Barry Allen story is the first, afterwards we get a bunch of short incidental stories, each focusing on a different villain (think each one as a single comic issue). This culminates in the villains drinking their woes away because the Flash keeps stopping them. They then plan to team up and defeat the Flash, and when they make their move, Flash promptly defeats them - he's just too fast.

That's when Zoom shows up and gives them a way to make as much money as they want. The idea is that they each commit a crime at the exact same time. Flash is fast - but even he'll tire from running a gauntlet. Each one committing a different crime in the corners of Salt Lake City gives Flash a hard time. They work as a team, and the whole point - to make a killing (i.e. get loads of money) - is about to work, when Zoom's ture motives are revealed; he's trying to make a killing; he's trying to murder Flash, and he's used the villains to do it. It's this murderous impulse that splits the group of villains, and allows Flash to turn the tables and save the day.

Or something. I found this hard because I had no idea what to do with the Flash. That's as good as I can do for now, I think.

The cast...

The Flash - Alan Tudyk
I'm going for an ensemble cast to allow for the anthology-feel of the film, so there's no major stars, but a lot of lovable faces. I was originally going for Ewan McGregor but he was stolen from me. Considering I then went for a lighter approach to the film and a more farcical one, a comedy actor like Tudyk is probably more appropriate. My thinking is this guy, as shown in SERENITY, can help a film go from the light-adventure fun to the disturbingly dark which is what'll happen in the film when Zoom's revealed.
Tudyk_TD270248_150x200.jpg

The Flash (Barry Allen) - Bruce Campbell
I almost when for Bruce Willis, but I think Bruce Campbell works in this film with this cast better. I also think, because he's so lovable in a Silver Age kind of way, that his death at the beginning of the film will really, really, work. No one wants Bruce Campbell to lose, ever, and I think casting him for that would work really well. My thinking is the opening sequence with Barry Allen should be so much fun you'd want a whole film of just him - and Bruce Campbell is a guy who can sell that.
Bruce_Campbell.jpg

Linda Park - Linda Park
And I had this picked out before anything else. It's just a no-brainer.
Linda-Park-01.jpg

Pied Piper - Ethan Suplee
I really like the idea of Pied Piper getting whatever he wants through a hypnotic flute. I think that on the surface he's a partier and loves being a criminal, but is actually incredibly morose and lethargic - anything he wants he gets. And the flute has spoiled him. When Flash beats him (Flash is faster than sound and thus, immune to the Pied Piper), Pied Piper initially is morose and gives up, only to get energised, realising how much he's missed having to work to get what he wants. At the end, he's one of the villains who won't let Zoom kill Flash. I picked Ethan Suplee because he's funny, he's an accomplished actor, and because I think if you've got guy who uses a flute to woo women (or men), it has a certain poignancy if he's heavy-set. Plus, a heavy-set villain in a cast of lithe sprint-runners is going to be visually compelling. Also, the kids then can make the joke about the "pied" piper. (Ugh.)
0,,5452417,00.jpg

Captain Cold - Tim Curry
Again, going for more comedic actors to help lighten the film, and because when the film becomes more serious towards the end, as Joss Whedon says, "Comedy is hard. If a comedy actor can do the hard stuff, then they can do drama." Or something. Basically, comedy actors are actors, fullstop, according to Whedon, and I agree. Also, each of these villains has to hold their own against Tudyk for 20 minutes and be memorable for the finale. So I pick Tim Curry. Captain Cold is a callous, ruthless son of a *****, and so he'd definately be with Zoom on the 'killing Flash' bit. In CLUE, Tim Curry goes from comedic butler to disturbingly evil with just a smile. Perfect for Cold.
C_1317221.jpg

Mirror Master - David Tennant
The Doctor is in! Mirror Master is Scottish, as is Tennant, so he'll have a ball of a time. The Tenth Doctor is a zany abberant, and that'll work well for the arrogant illusionist hitman that is Mirror Master. Especially hidden behind that mask, Tennant has a great acting mouth. He does all his acting with his mouth. I also think Mirror Master will help kill Flash, but only if he gets a bigger cut. A character with such fickle morals, and I think Tennant can do that well. Also, Mirror Master is a proper professional criminal, and not a thrill-seeker. As such, his arrogance will be in his professionalism when met with villains like "Pied Piper" and "Captain Boomerang", as will his disdain.
1123049577.img_0.jpg

Captain Boomerang - Johnny Knoxville
For me, Captain Boomerang is the Danny Ocean of the group - the media love him, he's insanely cool - the criminal people love to see get away with it. He's into extreme sports and his robberies are more like stunts than crimes. He's a complete adrenaline junkie. And he pisses off Mirror Master (who's the professional with flashy tricks) and Captain Cold (who's actually a real captain, dammit!). He's sexier than Pied Piper - basically, he pisses all the villains off. BUT, he's really, really good at what he does. And when the Flash beats him, he becomes something of a brother-in-arms for the big finale. I think one of his big rules is that "no one gets hurt" (his tolerance for pain means his definition of 'hurt' isn't the same as everyone else's) and basically he'd not be one for killing Flash - or anybody for that matter. I think the 'life is a game' element makes him more exhilerating - considering he's an unbelievably racist Australian stereotype; I think this makes him a little crazy, and a little more fun.
mtv2.jpg

Zoom - John C McGinley
Another comedy actor, though McGinley is extremely intense. Unbelievable so. I think that quality makes him capable of going along with the silver age Barry Allen fun, and suddenly just killing him mercilessly. He's an evil Flash, and I have little to say because I think he does this so well, I don't need much explanation. McGinley can easily be the most intense villain of this group, and as such, gel the film's plot around his character without dominating the scenes he's in.
po.86027.jpg

Nice Job bass , I don't know much about most of the charracters but I love that you have clear idea of what style you want and how to archive that , even giving a mini synopsis at the start.

Bruce Campbell as Barry Allen is perfect dude for the reason you said. He is "lovable in a Silver Age kind of way" and that so works. So far you have my vote and I honestly don't see anyone beating this.

Thanks, Mole! :D

No problem.

Also loved bluebeasts idea off adding Bonus: Jay Garrick, The Flash I. I was so going to steal that and have him be John Wesley Shipp (Barry Allen from tv show) as a nice heads up but thought technically he played "the flash" so that might get me disqualified :lol:

I opted o leave out Barry Allen and instead cast Jay Garrick and Bart Allen instead.

Anyways, my film is pure popcorn action. There's nothing deep to it. It's like Charlie's Angels or Transformers. Stuff go fast. Then go boom.

flashsu1.jpg

Jay Garrick – Geoffrey Pierson – The original super speedster is an older man now. He still does what he can, but he's not a major player anymore and he knows that. This sums up minor actor, , perfectly. Aside from looking like Ross' Flash painting----XXXX has the ability to add the right amount of distinction to the role without taking away from the younger main cast, much like he did as President in Season 4 of "24". Specializing in mostly comedic roles, he can bring that light hearted feel while dispensing the sage advice that makes Garrick still relevant to the Speed Force clan.

Wally West – Josh Duhamel – Duhamel is my choice because we're going for good looking family man who still is young enough to make the wisecracks. Did he or did he not play this role in Transformers? And you loved it then…you'll love it now. Plus Duhamel, like another member of my cast has been typecasted as one of the pretty boys but he's got some range. Not Deniro range…but just enough to play a comic book character.

Bart Allen – Adam Brody – I opted to not cast Barry, based on small aspect of Bass' idea. Going for a lighthearted legacy feel…we have the past, present and future of speedy heroes. Adam has the vibe all down. I'm sure that his charm and acting skills can capture the young man who just shortly ago was a kid thrust into a world he wasn't ready for but knew he couldn't stand by. Due to the events of IC, Bart was forced to grow up fast. Literally. Who better to play that role than a former OCer who's life consisted of nothing but fun, and now that that world is done…he must become a man and stand on his own feet……..while cracking a charming smile while at it.

Linda Park – Michaela Conlin – I thank Ourchair for reminding me of Conlin. I hate casting Asian women. Mostly because the casting pool is so limited. What ends up happening is that everyone keeps casting the same people over and over. How many Asian comic characters is Lucy Liu, Maggie Q, and Kelly Hu gonna have to play? But a couple months ago, Ourchair reminded me of Conlin's fun loving brilliant role on Bones. Swap out the scientist for a mic and a cameraman and boo ya.

Capt Cold – Bruce Campbell – Here's the thing…I see almost all of Flash's villains as weekend warriors. Just guys selling auto insurance Mon-Fri, and planning a bank heist or some wacky villain escaped on their coffee and lunch breaks. How great would it be to see Campbell playing a wisecracking rogue who spouts cheesy "cold" jokes…only to be foiled and then beg Flash not to send him to jail because his wife will kill him? I'm sold.

Mirror Master – Justin Theroux – I want that weird "just hanging out in your mirror"-stalkerish aspect to Mirror Master. I can just picture Theroux just standing there in a mirror watching you sleep, with those piercing scary eyes. Plus I'd cast him just to hear him do that accent he did in Charlie's Angels. "I'm gonna teech yew and yur frayends aboot payne!" Indeed.

Capt Boomerang – Hugh Jackman – I wish people would get off Jackman's nuts about casting him in tough guy roles. We get it…he impressed us all as Wolverine. Now can we please pay attention to his other acting roles? The guy's good looking and charming. Make him be a suave dick like he was in "Someone Like You" and tell him to be a bad guy and you've got my Capt Boomerang. Plus this is a chance for the Aussie actor to not have to drop his accent for a role.

Zoom – Timothy Olyphant – We all know he's talented. He's played good guys…he's played bad guys…he's played dicks. I'm looking for a smug, psychopathic counter to Duhamel's classic good guy demeanor. I picture Olyphant fighting Duhamel, and Duhamel is getting his *** beat, while Olyphant zips around at super speed punishing Duhamel while screaming "YOU CAN'T BEAT ME! I'm SMARTER! I'M FASTER! I'M BETTER!" only to be foiled in the end of course. But not after putting a proper *** whooping on Flash.

Flash-1.jpg

Wally West, The Flash III - Chris Evans

I think it might be a little weird after also playing the Human Torch, but I think he could bring the same flair to the Flash.

Linda.jpg

Linda Park - Kristin Kreuk

While see is sometimes horrible in Smallville. I think it is mainly from ****ty writing. She just needs something like this and she can be the strong female that Linda is.

Piper.jpg

Pied Piper - Jake Gyllenhaal

This one was hard. But I think he could play the reformed or tragic villain that Piper is played to be.

Cold.jpg

Len Snart, Captain Cold - Hugo Weaving

Do I even have to explain this one. Weaving could pull of the class and the ruthless that Cold has.

MirrorMaster.jpg

Evan McCulluch, Mirror Master - Alan Cumming

I cause I pulled lots of people from other comic projects. The actor that paid Nightcrawler can play the obnoxious jerk.

boomrang.jpg

Digger Harkness, Captain Boomerang - David Wenham

He has lots of small roles in a huge number of movies. I think he could give levels to Boomrang than ever before.

Zoom.jpg

Hunter Zolomon, Zoom - Wentworth Miller

He would make a perfect contrast to Evans' Flash. Darker and more sinister.

I feel it would be kinda of off to include another Flash. The average movie fan might not get it. It would feel out of place.

I didn't notice that I chose actors almost entirely from comic projects. X-men, F4, 300, Smallville, V For Vendetta.

Hmmm. I didn't look at any others before this. So I hope it works.

Last edited:
Everyone has some great choices...

Tim Curry as Cold is ****in brilliant. And I didn't even know there was an actress named Linda Park that looks like Linda Park. That's almost a nobrainer.

I like Campbell can play everyone to you guys. I don't see him as Flash.

And Crispin as Murmur. That would rock. And I like your choice of Owen as the Mirror Master. I didn't see it until your comment about him in the mirror. I could so see that.

Last edited:
I like your villains but not Chris Evans.

Latest posts

Back