Dreamcasting #30 - Marvel Knights

bluebeast

THE RULES------------------------

1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the round, and thus gets to choose the property or story in question to be adapted. Winner may also declare whether this property is an animated film, or a live-action one. He must also name the core characters to be cast, which should be at least 4, but no more than 9.

2) You may not use actors who have played the role before in the same medium before. Voice talents may not reprise their role, nor can film ones.

3) After ten days, the round is declared closed. People will vote via PM and send it to the moderator, who will count the votes and declare winner. Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself.

4) The winner declared gets to choose the property in the next round.

MARVEL KNIGHTS​

You Must Cast:

Matt Murdock, Daredevil

Natasha Romanoff, The Black Widow

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire

Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu

Marc Spector, Moon Knight

Frank Castle, The Punisher

Wilson Fisk, The Kingpin of Crime

Zebediah Killgrave, The Purple Man

Billy Russo, Jigsaw

Your Optional Choices:

Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD

Bullseye

Danny Rand, Iron Fist

Jessica Jones

Mr. Hyde

Last edited:
Marvel Knights

Matt Murdock, Daredevil – Jason Behr – The reasoning behind this is, He seems right for a dark role like daredevil but also could bring a purely to Matt Murdock when he is in court. Not really sure if everyone will like this choice but I think it's a good one. Every time I read daredevil in a comic I picture Jason Behr

Natasha Romanoff, The Black Widow – Lena Headey – Different ethnic background I know but I don't care for this as I think besides race she's perfect. Watching her play Sarah Connor in tv series the role of Black Widow seems to fit.

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire – Terry Crews – Luke cage from what I've seen is intimidating and seems to look like he can hurt you. Terry Crews is both of those and so he's my Luke.

Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu – Jet Li – This choice I'm not sure on at all. I have no idea who Shang-Chi is but reading up on him and the phrase Master of Kung Fu made me straight away look for someone who was a damn good Martial artist.

Marc Spector, Moon Knight - James Franco– Not sure on moon knight either but from reading he reminds very much of Harry in Spider-man when he was darker and more mature than 1 and 2.

Frank Castle, The Punisher – Christian Bale – The punisher seems to me to be very much like batman he played only a little more violent. So I picked Christian Bale as I think he would be a great Punisher.

Wilson Fisk, The Kingpin of Crime – James Gandolfini – He can have his public life but his crime life who better to play him than James Gandolfini? I wanted James Gandolfini as he was a crime boss in Sopranos, But also he looks fat enough to buy it. After all as much muscles as kingpin has he is still fat looking, that's why spider-man has made fat jokes at him.

Bullseye – Eric Bana – The reason is 1 I have no idea who purple man is so I swaped him for bullseye from optional list. 2 I see bullseye as been more like a lone wolf. Maybe darker than film or comics but I see him as a guy who will kill you with out a second thought if you go near him and enjoys the kill. So Eric bana seemed right for how I saw him.

Billy Russo, Jigsaw – Hugo Weaving – This was because the right hideous make up on him but the coldness of Agent Smith and you have a great Jigsaw. One that will be a great villain all round and be memorable which is important as a great villain makes greater heroes.

Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD – Daniel Craig – I want Nick Fury played how he plays James Bond but a bit tougher. I think it could work really well and having him play Nick Fury after been James Bond makes Fury's secret agent type setup more believable.

Hmmm.....I don't know if I wanna do this one.

I could do casts for the respective properties of each character---but nothing that would see these people working together as an ensemble.

Hmmm.....

Hmmm.....I don't know if I wanna do this one.

I could do casts for the respective properties of each character---but nothing that would see these people working together as an ensemble.

Hmmm.....

You see I was going to do this as a set of stories of seemingly unrelated events a la Heroes or Sin City. Then have all of the story lines connect at the end. I was thinking a huge gang war in the middle of New York or something like that. That's the main reason I had Kingpin, Purple Man and Jigsaw as your villain choices.

Hmmm. I see.

Well in that case I might do something. In about 20 minutes I had 90% of my initial choices done. I just have to narrow it down and do some recasting.

Marvel Knights

Matt Murdock, Daredevil – Jason Behr – The reasoning behind this is, He seems right for a dark role like daredevil but also could bring a purely to Matt Murdock when he is in court. Not really sure if everyone will like this choice but I think it's a good one. Every time I read daredevil in a comic I picture Jason Behr

Natasha Romanoff, The Black Widow – Lena Headey – Different ethnic background I know but I don't care for this as I think besides race she's perfect. Watching her play Sarah Connor in tv series the role of Black Widow seems to fit.

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire – Terry Crews – Luke cage from what I've seen is intimidating and seems to look like he can hurt you. Terry Crews is both of those and so he's my Luke.

Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu – Jet Li – This choice I'm not sure on at all. I have no idea who Shang-Chi is but reading up on him and the phrase Master of Kung Fu made me straight away look for someone who was a damn good Martial artist.

Marc Spector, Moon Knight - James Franco– Not sure on moon knight either but from reading he reminds very much of Harry in Spider-man when he was darker and more mature than 1 and 2.

Frank Castle, The Punisher – Christian Bale – The punisher seems to me to be very much like batman he played only a little more violent. So I picked Christian Bale as I think he would be a great Punisher.

Wilson Fisk, The Kingpin of Crime – James Gandolfini – He can have his public life but his crime life who better to play him than James Gandolfini? I wanted James Gandolfini as he was a crime boss in Sopranos, But also he looks fat enough to buy it. After all as much muscles as kingpin has he is still fat looking, that's why spider-man has made fat jokes at him.

Bullseye – Eric Bana – The reason is 1 I have no idea who purple man is so I swaped him for bullseye from optional list. 2 I see bullseye as been more like a lone wolf. Maybe darker than film or comics but I see him as a guy who will kill you with out a second thought if you go near him and enjoys the kill. So Eric bana seemed right for how I saw him.

Billy Russo, Jigsaw – Hugo Weaving – This was because the right hideous make up on him but the coldness of Agent Smith and you have a great Jigsaw. One that will be a great villain all round and be memorable which is important as a great villain makes greater heroes.

Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD – Daniel Craig – I want Nick Fury played how he plays James Bond but a bit tougher. I think it could work really well and having him play Nick Fury after been James Bond makes Fury's secret agent type setup more believable.
I like Mole's cast.

I can't say yet whether I'd vote him, but baby you've come a long way from your earlier efforts at Dreamcasting. You da man.

I like Mole's cast.

I can't say yet whether I'd vote him, but baby you've come a long way from your earlier efforts at Dreamcasting. You da man.

Thanks. I doubt I'll win though as people on here who know the charracters better should smoke my list

I could have sworn that we've done this before. Way before the Immortal Iron Fist casting. I remember, because Gale Harold was cast as Daredevil.

MARVEL KNIGHTS

Matt Murdock/Daredevil - Gale Harold
Gale.jpg

Natasha Romanova/Black Widow - Peta Wilson
petawilson.jpg

Luke Cage/Power Man - Idris Elba
idriselba.jpg

Shang-Chi - Steven Chow
kung_fu_hustle_a.jpg

The Master of Kung Fu Hustle as the Master of Kung Fu.

Frank Castle/The Punisher - Mickey Rourke
MickeyRourke.jpg

I wanted to cast Rourke as Billy "the Beaut" Jigsaw, but let's face it, there's no way he could pass off the nickname "Beaut." Imagine this as Garth Ennis' MAX Punisher, a grizzled Vietnam vet who takes no prisoners.

Marc Spector/Moon Knight - Kevin Corrigan
grounded.jpg

Wilson Fisk - Vincent Pastore
VincentPastoreDana.jpg

Also known as "Big *****" from the Sopranos.

Zebediah Killgrave/Purple Man - Goran Visnjic
eac32cf2.jpg

I chose Visnjic to play Purple Man because he's actually Croatian.

Billy Russo/Jigsaw - Steven Van Zandt
18193__steven_l.jpg

Van Zandt is an Italian-American and starred as Silvio Dante in the Sopranos.

Matt Murdock, Daredevil - Matthew Fox
lostmatthewfoxwideweb43wx8.jpg

Natasha Romanoff, The Black Widow - Milla Jovovich
6ykq3ntnm7.jpg

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire - Morris Chestnut
holidaymovie52thumbft2.jpg

Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu - Rick Yune
rickyuneje7.jpg

Marc Spector, Moon Knight - Guy Pearce
guypearce6iv1.jpg

Frank Castle, The Punisher - Josh Brolin
crashpreanw9.jpg

Wilson Fisk, The Kingpin of Crime - Ray Winstone
prein4.jpg

Zebediah Killgrave, The Purple Man - Andrew Divoff
zdivoffip3.jpg

Billy Russo, Jigsaw - Benicio Del Toro
benicio21rc8.jpg

Matt Murdock, Daredevil - Matthew Fox
lostmatthewfoxwideweb43wx8.jpg

6ykq3ntnm7.jpg

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire - Morris Chestnut
holidaymovie52thumbft2.jpg

Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu - Rick Yune
rickyuneje7.jpg

guypearce6iv1.jpg

crashpreanw9.jpg

prein4.jpg

Zebediah Killgrave, The Purple Man - Andrew Divoff
zdivoffip3.jpg

benicio21rc8.jpg

:shock: I want this movie now! And I had Del Toro as Jigsaw in mine as well. Good show.

Marvel Knights

Here is a cast that I threw together. I might add explanations later, but then again I might not. Make of this what you will.

Daredivil: Ryan Reynolds
amd_ryan_reynolds.jpg

Black Widow: Shannyn Sossamon
shannyn_sossamon_moonlight5.jpg

Luke Cage: Chiwetel Ejiofor
230149210_d726e4b163.jpg

Shang-Chi: Shin Koyamada
220px-ShinKoyamada.JPG

Moon Knight: Goran Visnjic
x63140286134185973.jpg

Punisher: Billy Crudup
billy_crudup_5053676.jpg

Purple Man: Dominic West
west.jpg

Jigsaw: Rufus Sewell
main1.jpg

Nick Fury:Jeffrey Dean Morgan
JeffreyDea_Count_11713826_400.jpg

Bullseye: Ben Foster
alphadogprempic8.jpg

6ykq3ntnm7.jpg

guypearce6iv1.jpg

crashpreanw9.jpg

prein4.jpg

benicio21rc8.jpg

Probably the most solid cast I've seen so far in this round.

Milla as Black Widow feels a bit cliched, but it's still a pretty solid fit. Pearce as Moon Knight and Brolin as Punisher are truly inspired choices. I even thought of using Winstone as my Kingpin as well, but ultimately went another route. And Benico as Jigsaw is the best thing I've seen this round.

Marvel Knights

Here is a cast that I threw together. I might add explanations later, but then again I might not. Make of this what you will.

Daredivil: Ryan Reynolds
amd_ryan_reynolds.jpg

Punisher: Billy Crudup
billy_crudup_5053676.jpg

Purple Man: Dominic West
west.jpg

Jigsaw: Rufus Sewell
main1.jpg

Bullseye: Ben Foster
alphadogprempic8.jpg

DK, you actually have a lot of great actors in your cast, but personally I think they're watsed in some of their respective roles.

Myself, I would cast Reynolds as Purple Man and allow his natural suave personality to take lead and let his snide sarcasm shine.

Cruddup is just wrong for Castle. Not that he's not an accomplished actor, but I just can't see him as the one-man crime machine.

I even used Sewell as Jigsaw as well.

And Ben Foster as the killing crazed hitman Bullseye is crazy awesome!

Overall there are some decent casts here, but I think there's a lot more misses than there are hits. But just keep in mind this isn't a shot on anyone in specific. Unfortunately, the nature of this beast is that it's all subjective and driven by personal tastes.

No prob. I get what you are saying. Daredevil and Punisher were the last two I had, and I'm not even that crazy about them. My knowledge on some of these characters is very limited.

Disorder's cast is pretty hard to beat, in my opinon, but i'll give it a shot...

Marvel Knights

This would be structured a bit like Pulp Fiction, with several inter-connected stories, unfolding in a non-linear kind of way.

THE HEROES

daredevilxh0.jpg

Matt Murdock/Daredevil
I picked Jon Hamm (best known for his role as another "D.D.", protagonist Don Draper on HBO's Mad Men) to play the principled lawyer with a rough childhood, who leads a double life as a bad-*** vigilante. On Mad Men, Hamm proved he has the nuance and complexity to play a character wrought with conscious ethical dilemmas, always having to decide between personal choices and the system he's immersed in, which easily qualifies him for the role of Daredevil.

blackwidowtj7.jpg

Natasha Romanoff/The Black Widow
Asia Argento already proved that she can play a tough, duplicitous Russian spy in XXX. Taking on the role of Natasha ought to be a walk in the park for this quirky Italian screen beauty.

lukecagewm3.jpg

Luke Cage
Lennie James all the way! I'm surprised nobody picked this guy before. He's got a solid background playing characters involved with both crime (Snatch) and espionage (Jericho), who just want to settle down and raise a family in peace (whether by choice or circumstance). In my opinion, this makes him an instant shooin for a version of Luke Cage that's ready to be hired for "one last mission", before putting away the gun and sunglasses, to settle down with his beleaguered, pregnant wife.

punisherpy0.jpg

Frank Castle/The Punisher
My definitive choice: Javier Bardem. Close your eyes, and recall Bardem's sadistic, desperate character from No Country For Old Men. Now imagine he's one of the "good guys". The audience will be thanking their lucky stars that he's on "our side".

Marc Spector/Moon Knight
I realize that Rainn Wilson (best known as perennially miserable Dwight, from the US version of The Office) seems like a fairly unlikely choice to play the mentally unhinged Marc Spector. But hear me out -- I want Spector to be a modern day Travis Bickle. Basically, I see Moon Knight as being more akin to The Question (rather than Batman, as he's usually portrayed). He still believes himself to be an avatar of Konshu, and has a fetish for Egyptian iconography, but these are characterized more as lunatic affectations, rather than a vigilante alter-ego. He doesn't ever put on the trademark white constume, diguising himself only with hoods and cowls, leaving Daredevil firmly as the only protagonist with enough at stake to wear a full-blown "pervert suit", while doing his vigilante business. This keeps things firmly away from traditional spandex do-gooder territory, and gives the under-used Wilson a chance to shine.

shangchidl5.jpg

Shang Chi
Not knowing much about Shang Chi, I decided to forgo the martial arts qualifications, in favor of acting chops (no pun intended), awarding the role to Benedict Wong, who turned in strong supporting performances in genre fare like Sunshine, and gritty social realist movies like Dirty Pretty Things.

THE VILLAINS

kingpinrw4.jpg

Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin
My idea for this version of the Kingpin is for him to be an unwitting pawn of Killgrave, who is the real Big Bad. So I needed somebody who had a commanding, authoritative presence, but could still meet his comeuppance, once the story calls for it. So why not pick somebody who's familiar with that kind of role? Ciarán Hinds played ousted Emperor Caesar in Season 1 of HBO's Rome.

purplemanyq9.jpg

Zebediah Killgrave/The Purple Man
The real villain of the piece. I chose Gaspard Ulliel (Hannibal Rising) on the basis of his creepy but calm demeanor.

jigsawik7.jpg

Billy Russo/Jigsaw
This part easily goes to Shoot 'Em Up's Paul Giamatti, who is more than capable of being simultaneously psychotic and entertaining.

bullseyeuy1.jpg

Bullseye

Need a tragic assassin with a touch of pathos? Look no further than Timothy Olyphant of Deadwood and Hitman fame.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back