Dreamcasting #31: The Endless (Sandman)

compound

THE RULES

1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the round, and thus gets to choose the property or story in question to be adapted. Winner may also declare whether this property is an animated film, or a live-action one. He must also name the core characters to be cast, which should be at least 4, but no more than 9.

2) You may not use actors who have played the role before in the same medium before. Voice talents may not reprise their role, nor can film ones.

3) After ten days, the round is declared closed. People will vote via PM and send it to the moderator, who will count the votes and declare winner. Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself.

4) The winner declared gets to choose the property in the next round.

Without further ado, I challenge you to cast either a movie or TV series based on:

The Endless
(from Neil Gaiman's Sandman)

YOU MUST CAST:

Destiny, dispassionate, sagely elder of the Endless

Death, charming, level-headed Goth girl who begins and ends the lives of men

Dream (Morpheus), proto-emo shaper of reality and fantasy

Destruction, prodigal bringer of humanity's ruin

Desire, androgynous master/mistress of passionate needs and needy passions

Despair, the naked embodiment of human misery

Delirium, flighty, off-kilter girl representing perpetual confusion

OPTIONAL CHOICES INCLUDE:

The Corinthian, creepy, eyeless serial-killing nightmare

Lucifer Morningstar, suavely manipulative proprietor of Hell

Lyta Hall, vengeful fury

Rose Walker, unknowing "vortex of dreams"

Thessaly, bookish, ruthless survivor of a millennia-old colony of witches

This round ends on Sunday, May 3, at 11:59PM Eastern time.

Also, I'm very tempted to make an extra rule banning the use of Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter for this round (because, admit it, you were just thinking about it, right?) But if you absolutely *must* cast either of them, I expect a reasonable justification for your decision.

Last edited:
Ten bucks says people will go whole hog and just cast as much as they want and can, so I don't even know why we bother mentioning 'optional choices'.

David Bowie
David_Bowie.jpg

Christina Ricci
christina_ricci.jpg

Dream (Morpheus), proto-emo shaper of reality and fantasy
Benicio Del Toro
benicio_del_toro_narrowweb__300x457,0.jpg

Gerard Butler
gerard_butler.jpg

Desire, androgynous master/mistress of passionate needs and needy passions
Lizzy Caplan
lizzy_caplan.jpg

Despair, the naked embodiment of human misery
Camryn Manheim
camryn-manheim-babel-los-angeles-premiere-red-carpet-0NeZlX.jpg

Ellen Page
36_ellen_page.jpg

I might give explanations later.

THE ENDLESS

260px-Malcolm_McDowell-1jpg.jpg

Destiny - Malcolm McDowell
I'm not entirely happy with this choice, but I feel that I can justify it easily enough. Destiny is indescriptly older than his other siblings, and he needs a voice that can really pack a punch. He's very powerful, but in a sombre sort of way, and I think McDowell would pull that off admirably.

039_16030~Natalie-Portman-Posters.jpg

Death - Natalie Portman
This has been my choice for Death for as long as I've been thinking about a potential dreamcasting. Death is fun, she is rambunctious and at the end of your life, you love her more than you have loved any being you've ever loved in your life. Death is beautiful, and I think there is a universality to Portman's beauty that makes her ideal for this part.

ewan_mcgregor13.jpg

Dream (Morpheus) - Ewan McGregor
Its the magnetism and the sheer passion he can put into every role. This wouldn't be the optimistic McGregor, but the sad angsty McGregor we see from time to time, like in the more depressing bits of Moulin Rouge. He's a brilliant actor who I think could absolutely pull this off.

ray-stevenson.jpg

Destruction - Ray Stevenson
As Titus Pullo in Rome, Stevenson brilliantly portrays a man who's for the most part born to be a soldier, and that's what I'd want him to bring into this role. Destruction is the force of destruction, even when he tries to be artistic, he's never quite good at it. The only thing he is good at is destroying, but he has chosen to leave that behind and try virtually anything else. I also think he would be perfect as this guy who sucks at painting and art who sits and talks to his dog all day.

george_clooney2.jpg

Desire - Tilda Swinton
I needed to claim her before someone else did. Swinton is the single most androgynous actor in hollywood, on top of being simply amazing. You need a powerhouse in the role of Desire, someone who can really work against Dream as one of the main antagonists of the series. (and just LOOK how tiny George Clooney is!)

helena-bonham-carter03ajanlo.jpg

Despair - Helena Bonham Carter
What I came to realize, while figuring this casting out all afternoon, is that what is important about the character is the fact that she is the embodiment of human despair. She doesn't have to be short and fat, but she does need to play off of Desire, seeing as they are twins. What immediately came to mind was Carter's role in Fight Club. So far gone that she's hardly even there. The more I think about it, the more this works.

Michelle_Trachtenberg.jpg

Delirium - Michelle Trachtenberg
Delirium needs to be pitiable, a little pathetic, but totally lovable, and I think Trachtenberg would be perfect, especially when played off of her other siblings.

Last edited:
george_clooney2.jpg

Desire - Tilda Swinton
I needed to claim her before someone else did. Swinton is the single most androgynous actor in hollywood, on top of being simply amazing. You need a powerhouse in the role of Desire, someone who can really work against Dream as one of the main antagonists of the series. (and just LOOK how tiny George Clooney is!)

I knew this one was coming. Especially ever since Constantine.

Delirium needs to be pitiable, a little pathetic, but totally lovable, and I think Trachtenberg would be perfect, especially when played off of her other siblings.

Oh sweet, merciful Jayzus! By the power of Greyskull, that's an awesome choice. Probably the most inpsired we'll see the entire round.

Last edited:
Not read it or familiar with the characters but no harm in trying right?

The Endless​

Destiny – Keith Szarabajka
– My understanding with this guy is we need a elderly guy , A bit dark and gritty. But when I read up on him and saw he reads from a large book a lot I figured we needed someone with a great voice too. Keith Szarabajka had all the qualities I was looking for. Plus is voice is raspy and kind of mysterious that when he is in robe and hidden it would still be powerful.

Death – Emilie de Ravin
– at first I thought I would go for actresses who had the goth type look but then I thought no. Make-up ect.. Can deal with that I need to look for someone who can play the "pleasant, down-to-earth, and perky" side. Emilie de Ravin is a good actress who could meet that challenge. Also from her time on Roswell when she was informing the others of their past she had the nurturing part down which is needed for Dream.

Dream – Ryan Phillippe – Dream is a romantic and arrogant. But also is a bit dark and kind of deep. Like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders. At least that is my understanding from reading about him. So I picked Ryan Phillippe as he seemed perfect to me for this role.

Destruction – Brian Blessed – "Gaiman has mentioned that he would like Blessed to play Destruction in the event of a Sandman movie" Who am I to argue. Sure it's the easy pick but seems best like Samuel L. Jackson as Ultimate fury.

Desire – Elizabeth Hurley and Brad Pitt – Two actors since it can be booth male and female. Who ever I picked needs to be "strikingly beautiful" but also cruel and devious. Both of these actors fit the bill perfectly and I think the idea of these two as one character is great.

Despair – Renée Zellweger – If she puts weight back and gets her Bridget Jones look back, I think this would work and really well.

Delirium – Miranda Cosgrove – I like this actress and for the part I think she's a good fit.

Not sure how good this cast is.

I'll get pictures later.

As for Director I'd get Terry Gilliam

As for cast;

Destiny - Jude Law or Clive Owen

Death - Christina Ricci, period.

Destruction - Brad Pitt or Brian Blessed

Delirium - Stephanie Leonidas or Ellen Page

Despair - Eddie Izzard in a fat suit

Dream - I would have jumped at Heath ledger, so without him. Jude Law or Ewan McGregor

Desire - Jaime Lee Curtis, or myself. (for more than obvious reasons, since Desire is hermaphroditic)

Corinthian - Doug Jones or Carey Elwes

Lucifer - Tilda Swinton or David Bowie

Lyta Hall - Helena Bonham Carter

Rose - Nicole Kidman

Thessaly - Ellen Page or Emma Watson

for ****s n giggles, I'd cast

Tim Hunter - Daniel Radcliffe

Last edited:
Desire – Elizabeth Hurley and Brad Pitt – Two actors since it can be booth male and female. Who ever I picked needs to be "strikingly beautiful" but also cruel and devious. Both of these actors fit the bill perfectly and I think the idea of these two as one character is great.

OMG! That's not a bad idea, cause they do look kinda similar but not but yeah but I dunno! INSPIRED!

skotti-chan said:
I'll get pictures later.

As for Director I'd get Terry Gilliam
First, the movie will go over budget.

But then Gilliam will manage to secure the interest of a name star that will help him secure additional funding.

Then the star will die, in a flood that destroys most of the sets.

Fortunately, his back up crew films everything.

Then the footage is lost.

Doc casts rules so much.

I need to do this.

This is bad as I have not finished the series! I don't know anything about Destruction.

Last edited:
I'm *so* pleased to be hosting this round. You've all given me so much to respond to...

David Bowie
David_Bowie.jpg
As others have mentioned, Bowie would probably make a better Desire, but I do recognize the logic in this choice. Because Destiny needs to be an elder statesman, of sorts, among the Endless. But that doesn't mean he needs to be an overly patriarchal figure, so Bowie kind of strikes that balance nicely.

Christina Ricci
christina_ricci.jpg
Death - Christina Ricci, period.
*sigh* A bit obvious, but the casting makes a lot of sense. I have no doubt that Ricci is a lot of people's choice to play Death, and I won't argue that she could play the part effectively. At this point, I guess I'd just rather see her do something different, rather than type cast her into a role we already know she can play, in her sleep. It's a bit like casting SLJ as Bad *** Black Authority Figure; it always works, but only because it's been done a million times before.

Gerard Butler
gerard_butler.jpg
This is inspired, simply because it feels so unlikely. I could easily picture Butler playing against type, making Destruction into an appropriately likeable tragicomic figure; proficient at laying waste to civilization and nothing else, try as he might to pursue other interests. I'm not sure this is exactly what you had in mind, but I think it works.

Ellen Page
36_ellen_page.jpg
Delirium - Stephanie Leonidas or Ellen Page
Thing is, Page is so good at playing characters (like Juno) who *appear* inexperienced (good, for Del) but also wise beyond their years (which helps sell the trauma of her transformation from Delight). However, I also associate her with a kind of brash confidence about laying down her own set of rules, something that doesn't make me immediately convinced that she ought to play such a flaky character. She's got the acting chops to pull it off, without question. But I suspect there may be better choices out there.

Despair - Eddie Izzard in a fat suit
Izzard's character in The Riches has precisely the kind of manic desperation needed to play Despair. She's a less "fabulous" character than he's used to playing in his drag persona, but that doesn't mean he can't pull this off. I think it's a daring, and interesting choice. And proof that more Dreamcasting rounds would benefit from Skotti's participation.

Desire - Jaime Lee Curtis, or myself. (for more than obvious reasons, since Desire is hermaphroditic)
Yay for narcissism! We need to have more people casting themselves in these games. It *is* Dreamcasting, after all.

Corinthian - Doug Jones or Carey Elwes
Elwes for the win! He's convincingly sinister, but also ineffectual, which makes sense considering how quickly Morpheus dispatches of him, during the "Cereal" convention. Dreamcasting needs more regular doses of Elwes, because he can do multiple variations of the certain stock characters.

Lyta Hall - Helena Bonham Carter
Meh. It could work, but I don't think it would necessarily be very interesting.

Rose - Nicole Kidman
My preference, as well. And obviously works alongside MacGregor as Dream.

Thessaly - Ellen Page or Emma Watson
Both are arguably too young to play Thessaly, I feel. Give Page about 5 more years, and she'll be the perfect choice, because it totally fits her acting style. But (like Babs Gordon/Oracle), I think she needs to be played by somebody with a look that can also suggest worldy experience, a quality that baby faced Page lacks, for the time being.

Tim Hunter - Daniel Radcliffe
I approve. Crazy as it sounds, this might actually help people realize just how *different* Hunter really is from You Know Who.

Not read it or familiar with the characters but no harm in trying right?
Sorry, man -- it shows. But your effort is appreciated, just the same.

Death – Emilie de Ravin
– at first I thought I would go for actresses who had the goth type look but then I thought no. Make-up ect.. Can deal with that I need to look for someone who can play the "pleasant, down-to-earth, and perky" side. Emilie de Ravin is a good actress who could meet that challenge.
This actually makes sense, and I can't really argue with it, other than the fact that I've never particularly enjoyed any of De Ravin's performances, to date.

Dream – Ryan Phillippe – Dream is a romantic and arrogant. But also is a bit dark and kind of deep. Like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders. At least that is my understanding from reading about him. So I picked Ryan Phillippe as he seemed perfect to me for this role.
I'm honestly a bit apprehensive about casting such a D-lister in what is essentially the main role of the franchise. But once again, your reasoning is good, on paper. And I could easily visualize him being made over to look the part, quite decisively. It reminds me a bit of Tom Cruise being cast as Lestat, in that sense.

I'm giving this pick my endorsement, in and of itself. But in order to work, it would need a cast that could match their kind of screen presence (which I don't think the rest of your choices have). Interesting decision, though.

Despair – Renée Zellweger – If she puts weight back and gets her Bridget Jones look back, I think this would work and really well.
Ouch. Man, that's harsh! I see what your going for here, and it's logically sound, given the actors who you've chosen as her conceptual "twin". But I don't agree with the idea that being able to play a middle class English woman with dashed expectations for her career and romantic life *necessarily* qualifies Zellweger to play the personification of misery.

I'm gonna deal with the Good Doctor's cast seperately beacuse it's just so singularly awesome.

039_16030~Natalie-Portman-Posters.jpg

Death - Natalie Portman
This has been my choice for Death for as long as I've been thinking about a potential dreamcasting. Death is fun, she is rambunctious and at the end of your life, you love her more than you have loved any being you've ever loved in your life. Death is beautiful, and I think there is a universality to Portman's beauty that makes her ideal for this part.
Portman has been my long-standing choice for Death, as well, for most of the same reasons Doc mentioned.

I haven't liked every single role that Portman has done, but there's only one other actress who could possibly fir the role of Death better than Portman. (I'll hold off until i've closed the round before I reveal who that is. Who knows? Somebody else here just might bring her up first.)

ewan_mcgregor13.jpg

Dream (Morpheus) - Ewan McGregor
Definitely not who I had in mind for the role, but McGregor would easily fit the sibling dynamic with Portman quite comfortably, based on their history together in the Star Wars prequels.

george_clooney2.jpg

Desire - Tilda Swinton
Winner! It's been so long since I last thought about an Endless Dreamcasting that I'd failed to consider Swinton. I think you've got the decisive pick here. Totally inspired.

helena-bonham-carter03ajanlo.jpg

Despair - Helena Bonham Carter
What I came to realize, while figuring this casting out all afternoon, is that what is important about the character is the fact that she is the embodiment of human despair. She doesn't have to be short and fat, but she does need to play off of Desire, seeing as they are twins. What immediately came to mind was Carter's role in Fight Club. So far gone that she's hardly even there. The more I think about it, the more this works.
Wow. Just... Wow.

Happily, you've made me regret my proposed ban on using HBC during this round. I hadn't considered the possibility of using her this way, and your reasoning makes perfect sense, as a casting decision. It will probably make a handful of more purist Gaiman fans scoff, but I'd like to think even the Man in Black himself would agree with this pick.

I generally find Trachtenberg rather annoying (but a lot of that had to do with how Dawn was written, to be fair), and I don't like her cheesy, FHM/Maxim-friendly celeb persona. But I *did* enjoy her brief guest appearance on Six Feet Under, and she certainly has the right kind of look to play Del. I'm cautiously enthusiastic about this, only because she works so well with the rest of the cast you've proposed.

Doc casts rules so much.
Can't disagree with that.

This is bad as I have not finished the series! I don't know anything about Destruction.
Up to what point have you read, so far?

Last edited:
Sorry, man -- it shows. But your effort is appreciated, just the same.

This actually makes sense, and I can't really argue with it, other than the fact that I've never particularly enjoyed any of De Ravin's performances, to date.

I'm honestly a bit apprehensive about casting such a D-lister in what is essentially the main role of the franchise. But once again, your reasoning is good, on paper. And I could easily visualize him being made over to look the part, quite decisively. It reminds me a bit of Tom Cruise being cast as Lestat, in that sense.

I'm giving this pick my endorsement, in and of itself. But in order to work, it would need a cast that could match their kind of screen presence (which I don't think the rest of your choices have). Interesting decision, though.

Thanks dude wasnt sure how good my cast was.

Ouch. Man, that's harsh! I see what your going for here, and it's logically sound, given the actors who you've chosen as her conceptual "twin". But I don't agree with the idea that being able to play a middle class English woman with dashed expectations for her career and romantic life *necessarily* qualifies Zellweger to play the personification of misery.

I think you misunderstood me. When I mentioned Bridget Jones it was just the look when she put on weight and used less make up. She was very plain and average. Didn't stand out as ugly or attractive. The actress herself though has been in many things and is a good actress who could handle the role.

Hope that makes sense

I'm considering ending this during midweek, since the game's been inactive for a several days, and we already have four sets of entries (bluebeast, Dr.Strangefate, Mole, and Skotti), which is already enough for a healthy competition.

TGO, do you still plan to join?

If nobody else expresses interest in entering within 24 hours, then I believe we can declare this over on Wednesday, April 30, at 11:59PM Eastern time. Any objections?

I'm considering ending this during midweek, since the game's been inactive for a several days, and we already have four sets of entries (bluebeast, Dr.Strangefate, Mole, and Skotti), which is already enough for a healthy competition.

TGO, do you still plan to join?

If nobody else expresses interest in entering within 24 hours, then I believe we can declare this over on Wednesday, April 30, at 11:59PM Eastern time. Any objections?

I'm working on a massive cast for this. I've got almost all the key players (Thessaly is a ***** to cast) and a large number of supporting cast members that aren't listed. I'll try to get it up tomorrow after work.

I'm working on a massive cast for this. I've got almost all the key players (Thessaly is a ***** to cast) and a large number of supporting cast members that aren't listed. I'll try to get it up tomorrow after work.
No rush, buddy. If you've got a full work week, then we can keep the round going until Sunday, as originally planned.

Incidentally, I have a definite choice in mind for Thessaly, but i'm keeping mum about who it is, until the round is finished.

Latest posts

Back