Dreamcasting # 8: The Legion of Superheroes of the 31st Century!

ourchair

I didn't expect to win, but I've had this in mind for a while.

I want to broaden the appeal of Dreamcasting.

The challenge is something new.

This challenge demands younger actors, preferably people in their late 20s or younger who still pass off as teenagers.

It uses DC characters, because I want bigger participation from DC fans like Gothamite.

It also challenges Marvelites to think about casting characters they may not be completely fanatically familiar with.

It also goes back to superheroes, and away from Vertigo/Wildstorm-itude.

So, here it is:

The Legion of Superheroes in the 31st Century

You must cast:

Garth Ranzz of Winath, Lightning Lad - Fierce explorer who controls electricity.

Imra Ardeen of Titan, Saturn Girl - Introverted mute with the power of telepathy.

Querl Dox of Celu, Braniac 5 - Arrogant supergenius with a 12th level intellect

Luornu Durgo of Cargg, Triplicate Girl - Troubled schizophrenic with the power to divide into three.

Reep Daggle of Durla, Chameleon - Androgynous detective with shapeshifting abilities.

Chuck Taine of Earth, Bouncing Boy - Quick-thinking engineer/pilot and inflates into an injury resistant bouncing ball.

Jan Arrah of Trom, Element Lad - Transmuter of elements with an ambiguous sexuality.

Tinya Wazzo of Bgztl, Phantom Girl - Political scion with the power of intangibility.

Voting begins May 29, 2007, 4AM.

For people unfamiliar with the Legion, go thank Wikipedia. It's where I got MY info for this cast. :p

GO!

Last edited:
Goddamnit. I was hoping you'd do Planetary.

Goddamnit. I was hoping you'd do Planetary.
From now on, I'm leaving the 'new cool' stuff in favor of the mainstream broad appeal. For the sake of the game and all that.

Though I'd very much like to take a shot at Planetary myself. :D

I know I won't win but hey I figured I would give it a try mainly beacuse ourchair said he picked a mainstream comic so it was easier for people like me which I requested last time So Thank you for that dude.

That been said Here is My Legion of Superheroes cast. (Note I have taken certain Liberties to make it better. e.g made some cast members older ect..)

Lightning Lad – James Van Der Beek ( Dawson from Dawson's creek) – I think He can be serious actor , He can also play comedy scenes well as well. So I would be curious to see what he would do in a superhero role.

After reading up on the character I figured he maybe a bit too old for the part now but I personally think he is perfect and I don't think age should stop us getting the person who is right for the role.

Saturn Girl – Sarah Carter (Alicia from Smallville) – The character of Saturn Girl is mute and I think Sarah Carter can do what I would call "facial acting" By that I mean her expressions can express feelings well which would be important to a character who is mute.

Triplicate Girl - Christina Ricci – This choice was simple. I believe she can act very well so could play someone with Schizophrenia very well. As that I believe her name has a bit of star power like most superhero films need (a couple of choices are influenced by this) to get attention of casual movie goers/ fans of actor/actress who may not of seen comic series

Chameleon - I would do him cgi (except for when he shape shifts) BUT I would add the voice of Patrick Stewart. The reason for that choice is he has a great voice and I think it would add an element to the character to have this creature but yet this charming , powerful voice. It would help people take the cgi character more serious

Bouncing Boy – Zachary Knighton (Jim from The Hitcher) – A fairly unknown actor (which Is what I was going for with a lot of the cast) Who could play Bouncing Boy well. He may not be the best actor around but I think he can play Bouncing Boy's "something to prove" Attitude and do it well

Element Lad – Chris Jericho (WWE) Now before you think "Oh god a wrestler" Think about Chris Jericho as an actor for a second. He did a fairly good job in Android Apocalypse. And the character of Element Lad reminds me of Chris Jericho's personality in WWE and so the two do go together well and great choice in my opinion.

Phantom Girl -Emilie de Ravin (Roswell , Lost) – I like her as an actress and believe that she could play this part. Seeing her in Roswell the character Tess and from what saw of her in lost as Claire I can see elements of Phantom Girl's personality and if you put different parts together you have a great Phantom Girl.

Braniac 5 -Adam Busch (warren on Buffy) – Let's face it Warren was an Arrogant genius on Buffy and was actually believable as such . That mainly is the reason I decided to have this actor as we have seen him do a character similar and again is fairly unknown which again is an important part to a superhero film

Superboy – Hayden Christensen (Star wars episodes II + III) I decided to add him as from what I read he was an important part in making Legion of Super-Heroes appeal to new fans and would be a same to miss that IMO key element.

That been said Hayden Christensen is 28 but still looks young and would be believable as a young clark. A good actor who I think could play up the part of Superboy that would need to get use to the fact everyone he cared about was dead in the future.

Also the guy played Anakin/vader so I think the audience would buy him as a superboy or what I was going for was not really a superboy but more of an early superman just before he is superman.

I know I won't win but hey I figured I would give it a try mainly beacuse ourchair said he picked a mainstream comic so it was easier for people like me which I requested last time So Thank you for that dude.
I hereby swear to devote any round I am moderator for to properties with broader appeal.

SSJmole said:
Chameleon - I would do him cgi (except for when he shape shifts) BUT I would add the voice of Patrick Stewart. The reason for that choice is he has a great voice and I think it would add an element to the character to have this creature but yet this charming , powerful voice. It would help people take the cgi character more serious
That's a really cool idea. I would probably choose a voice other than Stewart, only because he has a much more elderly quality now than he did fifteen years ago.

SSJmole said:
Superboy – Hayden Christensen (Star wars episodes II + III) I decided to add him as from what I read he was an important part in making Legion of Super-Heroes appeal to new fans and would be a same to miss that IMO key element.
I deliberately left out Superboy and Supergirl because I didn't want to include characters who are already brand presences all their own outside of Legion. I don't fault the idea, though. Just that the Legion themselves should be more important to the movie than Superboy or Supergirl.

PREMISE

I'm going with a relatively simplified plot, assembled from bit of the various Legion continuities.

3007. The galaxy is controlled by the Orwellian rule of the United Planets, who make their home-base in the seemingly utopian city of New Metropolis (whose society resembles Fritz Lang's Metropolis or maybe Demolition Man, more than, say, the London of V for Vendetta or Children of Men).

Undermining this veneer of well-regulated social order is a bustling resistance movement known as the Legion, a ragtag network of young rebels opposed to the tyrannical control enforced by the United Planets Inner Council.

The 'core group' of the Legion lives aboard a spaceship and have an inter-personal dynamic governed by their roles in the crew -- think That 70s Show crossed with Star Trek.

The movie itself revolves around what's described as a possible 'suicide mission' to rescue the young Superman from the 21st century (the Legion's spiritiual model), and use him to lead a daring raid against the United Planets Inner Council, who have been brainwashing captured Legion members. However, things go astray when they inadvertantly abduct Clark Kent, immediately prior to his decision to become a costumed superhero.

The first part of the movie -- 45 mins. or so -- deals with Clark's acclimatization to the 31st Century, and convinving the Legion of his worthiness as an ally. The last two-thirds cover the assault on the Inner Council.

The primary antagonists are the so-called 'Fatal Five', the corrupt leaders of the Inner Council's "secret police" -- a kind of Department of HomeWorld Security, if you please.

The movie ends, Civil War-style, with the fragile truce between the Legion and the Inner Council, in the face of the revelation of a bigger threat: a Sun-Eater. Can you say 'sequel'? I know you can...

MARKETING

The familiar Legion logo will be the main symbol of the movie. I envision the poster depicting the main cast flying through space in group formation, assisted by their 'flight rings', with the tagline:

This summer, let freedom ring.

CASTING

culkin.jpg

Clark Kent/Kal-El of Krypton, Superboy - This is the post-Smallville, pre-Lois & Clark version of Superboy. Not yet a dedicated costumed superhero, but already somewhat adept at using his powers, and well-versed about his purpose on Earth. For just the right balance of innocence and experience, I pick the under-rated Kieran Culkin (Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys, Igby Goes Down), in a possible star-making performance.

dohring.jpg

Garth Ranzz of Winath, Lightning Lad - I see him as a capable -- if somewhat cocky -- field leader. He's the Reggie Mantle to Superboy's Archie Andrews. This seems like an ideal breakthrough role for Vernonica Mars' Jason Dohring, whose character Logan is just as a$sholic, but not without the kind of resourcefulness and foresight that would make him a competent field leader, under radically different circumstances.

hinson.jpg

Imra Ardeen of Titan, Saturn Girl - I'm sticking with the cold, introspective -- almost brooding -- version from the Waid/Kitson run. I'd prefer to see her in a more hands-off, non-combatative role. She's the one handling communications and logistical stuff; the one doing the coordination. Honestly, this doesn't seem like a terribly complex or difficult role, so i'm giving it to someboy who happens to be a recent fave: Jordan Hinson, who plays Zoe Carter -- thrill-seeking teen caught in a situation more un-normal than she could ever hope for -- on cult TV hit Eureka.

bright.jpg

Querl Dox of Celu, Braniac 5 - I think his brand of arrogance is different from Lightning Lad. Whereas LL is a show-boating glory-hound, Braniac 5 is more of a cerebral intellectual snob; likely to see himself as superior to his team-mates, even if he secretly envies their humanity. This seems like a good chance for Cameron Bright (Ultraviolet, X-Men 3). As the kid of a tobacco industry lobbyist in Thank You For Smoking, he displayed a talent for behave in ways that are shockingly wise for somebody his age. Brainiac 5 seems like a role that would let this aspect of his ability shine.

zehetner.jpg

Luornu Durgo of Cargg, Triplicate Girl - I'd want to just forgo the whole 'troubled schizo' angle altogether. I want her to embrace her multiplicity -- not view it as a problem. She just has fun with it, and uses it to work through any conflicted feelings she might have. I will aggresively continue to push for greater celebrity for the adorable Nora Zehetner (50 Pills, Brick, Eden from Heroes), and my interpretation of Triplicate Girl seems like an ideal way for her to show off her manic range.

bettany.jpg

Reep Daggle of Durla, Chameleon - I'd make him a free agent; a bounty hunter or mercenary type with a street-level attitude. He's tasked to locate the Legion by R.J. Brande -- a rich ally of the UP Inner Council, who is secretly working to bring them down from inside. He wants to bankroll the Legion's operations, as a coordinated opposition group. His loyalties are as questionable as his sexuality, incorporating the ambiguous gender aspect of Element Lad's character. I would make him slightly older than most of the Legion characters -- just the right age to be portrayed by Paul Bettany (the albino henchman from The DaVinci Code).

cassidy.jpg

Chuck Taine of Earth, Bouncing Boy - He's meant to be the likeable every-man, and occasional comic relief. I choose Michael Cassidy, who had a recurring part as affable comic geek Zach Stevens on Season 2 of The O.C., and is now starring in also-ran teen drama Hidden Palms. (No stranger to big-screen superheroics, Cassidy also starred in forgettable Tim Allen vehicle, Zoom -- but let's just forget about that, shall we?)

dziena.jpg

Tinya Wazzo of Bgztl, Phantom Girl - I like the way she's characterized in the animate universe, better than the more distant Waid/Kitson version. Phantom Girl is the one with something to prove; a go-getter and brown-noser who is all too eager to get out of the shadow of her influential family. Her membership in the Legion is suspect, to begin with, given her lineage. She uses irony and quick come-backs to deal with her insecurity about her status. She's a little bit Summer (The O.C.) and a little bit Jackie (from That 70s Show), so I decided to cast somebody who reminds me of both Rachel Bilson and Mila Kunis: Alexis Dziena (the sherrif's daughter from the short-lived Invasion, as well as the daughter of Sharon Stone's character in the under-rated Broken Flowers)

I deliberately chose to leave out Jan Arrah of Trom, Element Lad, because I couldn't figure out a reasonable way to shoehorn him into my storyline.

Last edited:
I hereby swear to devote any round I am moderator for to properties with broader appeal.

Thank you

That's a really cool idea. I would probably choose a voice other than Stewart, only because he has a much more elderly quality now than he did fifteen years ago.

That is true. I just heard him in american dad and turtles as just a voice and since then I've kinda been "yeah I knew he had a cool voice but wow his voice makes any character better"

I deliberately left out Superboy and Supergirl because I didn't want to include characters who are already brand presences all their own outside of Legion. I don't fault the idea, though. Just that the Legion themselves should be more important to the movie than Superboy or Supergirl.

Again also true. My logic was they could do what they did in the comics. Get the audience to want to see first one for superboy then sequal time phase him out till 3rd film = no superboy

I never got a chance to vote in the last you.

I need bloody reminders during the voting, not hours before...grrrr.

I'm not doing this one as to I know very little about the legion.

Alright, I finally have a book I can work with.

Lightning Lad: Shawn Ashmore (X-Men). To play the brash and confident leader of the Legion, I picked Shawn Ashmore from X-Men. His performance in the X-Men trilogy was one of the strongest and he could continue his superhero career in the Legion. He had a cocky attitude in X2 and X3 and showd he can play the person that has to step it up.

Saturn Girl: Alison Mack (Smallville). I was going for someone that could play intellegent and attractive at the same time. Mack can get the credit that she deserves from Smallville and turn it into a great roel for Saturn Girl.

Braniac 5: Haley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense). Braniac 5 is essentially a robot. From his chilling roles in the Sixth Sense and AI, Osment can play the arrogant android of the Legion. He'll be able to channel Braniac's intellegence and give the robot heart.

Triplicate Girl: Amanda Bynes (What a Girl Wants). Triplicate Girl has an odd power. With the ability to split into three different people with three different personalities it would take someone who can display many emotions. Amanda Bynes is someone who can take a zany power and embrace its oddness. Though she's been thought of as having childish roles in the past she can show a range of emotion. More than enough for three characters.

Chameleon: Doug Jones (Pan's Labyrinth). Seeing as Chameleon is the least humanoid of the Legion and can change his shape with ease, the 40-something Jones can play the part without being out of place. He has perhaps one of the best body languages of most actors as is apparant in Hellboy, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer and Pan's Labyrinth. He is a genuinly good actor and deserves a speaking role in a movie.

Bouncing Boy: Josh Peck (Drake and Josh). If you've ever seen the Nickelodian show Drake and Josh, it can look as if he is overacting the whole time. Peck would play the oversized member of the Legion to the tee on accounts of looks and personality. He was also critically acclaimed for the independent film Mean Creek, so he can show acting chops.

Element Lad: Michael Angarano (Sky High). In his role in Sky High, Angarano developed intense powers and it all went to his head. In a story of power corrupts, Element Lad would turn from the spiritual Legionaire, to the god-like element transmuter that the Legion has to take down. His roles in 24 and future upcoming roles in potentially great films make him a break out star that a movie like the Legion would put on top.

Phantom Girl: Mila Kunis (That 70's Show). Phantom Girl is a spoiled princess who joins the Legion because of her mother. Kunis plays a spoiled little girl better than anyone else in Hollywood, which is essential to the Phantom Girl character. Because her teammates feel that she walked onto the team, she would try and proove to them her worth. Kunis did play some strong scenes in That 70's Show and would be able to portray the conflicted princess.

The newly formed Legion would earn the United Planets trust by fighting off an invasion by the alien Dominators. They would later have to unite and fight the insane Element Lad, who now has the power of a god and is being controlled by the lead Dominator. The sequel would have Ferro Lad and Cosmic Boy and would show Ferro Lad's sacrifice while destroying a Sun-Eater.

Last edited:
My big rule here was to try to cast people in their twenties (though I bend that rule twice, for Saturn Girl and Chameleon)

Cosmic Boy - Joseph Gordon-Levitt - Not sure why Cosmic Boy wasn't on your list, but I'll forgive you and give you JGL... But we should catch him quick before he becomes one of the top stars in Hollywood... He's a fantastic actor though, and I'd love to see what he could add as the leader of the Legion of Super-Heroes

Lightning Lad - Gregory Smith - The most unlucky member of the Legion deserves a good actor who knows how to play tragedy... Gregory Smith is best known for Everwood, and would do well in the jump to the big screen.

Saturn Girl - Sarah Chalke - An Ironic choice for a mute, since her character on Scrubs talks a mile a minute, but she has fantastic expressions that get more across when she's not talking than when she is.

Braniac 5 - James Franco - An odd choice, I know, but I think that what sealed the deal for me was that he has a charm and an arrogance that would easily carry over with his Green Skin.

Triplicate Girl - Zooey Deschanel - One of the most versatile young actress currently on film or TV, Zooey would manage to stay interesting on screen in multiples.

Chameleon - Tom Lenk - Best known for his role as Andrew Wells in Buffy: The Vampire Slayer... Lenk's strong suit is being funny and offbeat, and I think that putting him in the body of an androgynous morphing alien would be ripe for humor. I imagine they'd keep the face, and CGI in his antennae.

Bouncing Boy - Jason Ritter - He looks the part, plus a bit of charm and boyishness goes a long way. He hasn't been on much other than Joan of Arcadia and the old MTV show Undressed, but he's big and handsome and I think would be a great Bouncing Boy.

Element Lad - Chris Evans - This is mostly based on the Threeboot Legion's Element Lad who seems to be more of a laid back youngster than his predecessor, and Chris Evans just seems to be a great fit because he can do humor as well as serious

Phantom Girl - Lacey Chabert - Known for playing Gretchen Weiners in Mean Girls and Eliza Thornberry on the Wild Thornberrys... I'm not really sure what made me think of her, but I think she fits well.

One of them photostrip doodads tomorrow

Saturn Girl: Alison Mack (Smallville). I was going for someone that could play intellegent and attractive at the same time. Mack can get the credit that she deserves from Smallville and turn it into a great roel for Saturn Girl.

You find Alison Mack attractive?

Dr.Strangefate said:
Saturn Girl - Sarah Chalke - An Ironic choice for a mute, since her character on Scrubs talks a mile a minute, but she has fantastic expressions that get more across when she's not talking than when she is.

But THAT is an awesome idea.

I'd hit it, if she offered. Then I'd pretend she's Kristen Bell :wink:

Either that, or I'd call her "Chloe" while we were doing it, just to annoy her.
I'd call her "Veronica" and ask her, "Is this what getting your show shafted feels like?"

Braniac 5: Haley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense). Braniac 5 is essentially a robot. From his chilling roles in the Sixth Sense and AI, Osment can play the arrogant android of the Legion. He'll be able to channel Braniac's intellegence and give the robot heart.

Interesting choice -- you and I made similar casting decisions. We both picked child actors who haven't had a breakthrough role as pre-teens yet. But (naturally?) I went for the one with the more 'indie' track record.

Cosmic Boy - Joseph Gordon-Levitt - Not sure why Cosmic Boy wasn't on your list, but I'll forgive you and give you JGL... But we should catch him quick before he becomes one of the top stars in Hollywood... He's a fantastic actor though, and I'd love to see what he could add as the leader of the Legion of Super-Heroes
Thing is, he excels so much within the smaller, artsier film milieum, I'm almost convinced that it plays to his strengths better than an effects-laden blockbuster type movie, which Legion would be, in spite of its "genre" pedigree. But you're right -- he's an awesome, under-rated actor. And I wouldn't mind seeing him an Superboy role, either. But my original choice for that role stands.

Braniac 5 - James Franco - An odd choice, I know, but I think that what sealed the deal for me was that he has a charm and an arrogance that would easily carry over with his Green Skin.
Hmmmm... The version of Brainiac 5 i'm most familiar with is from the cartoon -- admittedly, i'm not a Legion fan, by any definiton. So I understood the character primarily as basically a kid with a adult-level intellect, who overcompensates for his age by attempting to act more "grown up" than he actually is. Sort of a Kid Spock. So what is it about the character that made you go with Franco? I'd love to know.

Triplicate Girl - Zooey Deschanel - One of the most versatile young actress currently on film or TV, Zooey would manage to stay interesting on screen in multiples.
Zooey's been getting a lot of play in this game. And deservedly so! I could definitely see her working in this role, particularly in relation to your other choices.

I'd call her "Veronica" and ask her, "Is this what getting your show shafted feels like?"
BURN :twisted:

I mean...

:(

I don't know whether to empathize with your assholic behavior towards Mack, or weep about Veronica Mars' premature end.

Last edited:
I'm feeling slightly lazy this round so no pics to go with the faces.

Lightning Lad – Jason Dohring - As the bad boy with a heart of gold, Logan Echols of Veronica Mars.....Dohring has the acting chops to portray our founding member with just the right bit of ferocity and open-eyed wonderment a young man who just wants to help make the world....hell universe...a better place.

Saturn Girl – Brittany Snow - She did great work on NBC's short-lived "American Dreams". I've seen her in other work but it escapes me now. Anyways....she works on so many different levels.

Brainiac 5 – Shia Lebouf - I wanted an air of arrogance but with a touch of isolation. Lebouf, despite the friendly persona he may seem to emtit, seems like he could channel the arogance comes from being an accomplished young actor as well as the bit of loneliness that comes from a young man who spent most of his youth acting and not being able to experience a true childhood because filming starts at 4:30am---sharp. Plus...can't you picture him being kind of a dick by walking around Hollywood repeating "HOLES *****!" or "EVER SEE TRANSFORMERS DOUCHEPOUCH? YEAH!!! SHIA!!!" over and over at valets?

Triplicate Girl – Rachel Bilson - Normally I'd say ugh at just the thought of casting anyone from "The OC" that isn't Peter Galagher or Adam Brody. But despite my ill feelings towards the show and her role on "Last Kiss"....she herself was good. I'd like to cast her in this and see what kinda range she can really pull.

Chameleon – Brendan Fehr - The shapeshifting detective. I don't know why but I feel he should be older than the rest of the cast. Not too much so as to isolate him from the group...but just enough so that he can relate yet still have more experience. Fehr really hasn't done anything since "Roswell"....but I dug him on that and I can just see his brow coming into play as his detective brain clicks away at analyzing clues.

Bouncing Boy – John Patrick Amedori - I'm really not sure why I cast him. I see being used as mostly comic relief.

Element Lad – Chris Lowell - Aside from Lightning Lad....this has to be my favorite role that I've cast. I'm most proud of this selection. As Piz on Veronica Mars....he's impressed me. He hasn't done anything too impressive....but I can just feel he'll come into his own soon. Plus....the boy is so pretty that he could just as well be an athletic chick.

Phantom Girl - Michelle Trachtenberg - ................ I honestly just gave up on this one. Whoever picked Mila Kunis had this one down pack.

Not my strongest round. I'm making it official right now.....if Supergirl was in this round it would've been filled by Kristen Bell. And anyone who would choose othewise is wrong and no longer my internet friend.

Element Lad – Chris Lowell - Aside from Lightning Lad....this has to be my favorite role that I've cast. I'm most proud of this selection. As Piz on Veronica Mars....he's impressed me. He hasn't done anything too impressive....but I can just feel he'll come into his own soon. Plus....the boy is so pretty that he could just as well be an athletic chick.
Holy crap! You're even more gay for him than I am. (Okay, that sounded totally wrong.)

But in my head, there's only one comic book role that Lowell is totally BORN to play...

Chase mother****ing Stein from Runaways. Unfortunately, that's not the property we're casting this round. But in case that's ever our dreamcasting topic, and you're thinking about filching my idea (because, frankly, nobody would fit the role better) just remember where you read it first.

Holy crap! You're even more gay for him than I am. (Okay, that sounded totally wrong.)

But in my head, there's only one comic book role that Lowell is totally BORN to play...

Chase mother****ing Stein from Runaways. Unfortunately, that's not the property we're casting this round. But in case that's ever our dreamcasting topic, and you're thinking about filching my idea (because, frankly, nobody would fit the role better) just remember where you read it first.

I'm pretty much gay for the entire Veronica Mars cast. And if you think I wouldn't cast Percy Daggs as Alex...you're wrong. In fact I'd cast everyone from VM to Runaways. Tina Majorino as Gert! Chris Lowell for Chase! Percy Daggs as Alex! Kristen Bell with a black dye job for Nico! I'm pretty sure if I concentrate hard enough and threaten him enough I could get Beaver to play Molly.

Latest posts

Back