Dreamcasting # 9 - The New Avengers

Hawkeye: Josh Holloway I don't know, I couldn't think of anyone else for this but I think he could pull off the attitude and the look perfectly. I wanted Jason Statham but I realized that this was 616 Hawkeye and Statham looked and acted nothing like him.

josh-holloway.jpg

Scarlet Witch: Catherine Zeta Jones She's the first person that came to mind when I thought of Wanda and I think she has the acting chops and the emotional ability to bring the Scarlet Witch to the screen.
zeta_jones_1.jpg

Iron Fist: Bradley Cooper Danny is an arrogant socialite who fights for revenge in his career. Cooper has the look of Iron Fist and can be a huge *** like in Wedding Crashers. He also showed a gentler side in the movie Failure to Launch with Matthew McConahay.

bradley-cooper.jpg

Jarvis: Michael Gambon His unique wit and sarcasm in the Harry Potter films makes me think he could be a fantastic mentor to the Avengers.

bgambon0457270_150x200.jpg

Bass is away at HeroesCon (when does he get back?), compound mentioned something about if he wins this round he might not be available for the next, and Shade is on at random times.

This is going to be difficult.

Shade is on here a lot more than he posts. And I'm working on making him a post crazy monster creature...

Just pointing out that It took me two years to break 1000 posts... Doesn't mean I wasn't on here most every day...

So let's see what we can do...

Bass says he'll be home on the 21st. That's Thursday... So I'll extend this round through the weekend, or when Bass or Compound get around to posting, they can just turn the round over to Shade if they'd rather not do it themselves, or the three of them can decide on Dreamcasting #10 together.

Until then, my Tie-Breaker still stands.

You have until Wednesday to cast Four More New Avengers characters (and I checked, none of these were cast in your individual casts):

Hawkeye - Now going by the name Ronin, though who knows how long that will last.

Scarlet Witch - She disassembled the Avengers, then decided there should be no more mutants but then through a deus ex... I mean CHAOS MAGIC... there were still some left over. Coincidentally, the ones we cared about the most.

Iron Fist - Former Hero For Hire, and current Avenger.

Jarvis - Everyone's favorite Butler (aside from Alfred, and Ultimate Jarvis)
Here's my logic -- this is the Avengers' b-team. All potentially interesting characters on their own (especially Iron Fist), but when they're part of NA, they're second fiddle to the obvious "big guns". And so my casting reflects this -- I picked able supporting players (from ensemble TV shows mostly), to complement my slightly-more-famous main cast.

Having said that...

hawkeye.jpg

Michael Vartan as Hawkeye. So far, Vartan is is usually remembered as Agent Vaughn, a key supporting player (and principal romantic interest) on the long-running "spy-fi" drama Alias. He's got a natural ordinary-Joe charm but can do "ethically gray" convincingly enough to play a well-meaning guy who has been on either side of the law, at various points in his career.

scarletwitch.jpg

Morena Baccarin as Scarlet Witch. Scarlet Witch is, honestly, a bit of a mess, as a character. She's been portrayed as maternal, sexual, and mentally unstable, depending on who is pulling which of her strings. Baccarin, who played the main "Companion" (read: geisha or courtesan) in the cult sci-fi/Western Firefly, is well-placed for the role of a character who seemingly embodies so many contradictions, but manages to remain a whole person, in spite of it.

ironfist.jpg

Nicky Katt as Iron Fist. Let me say categorically that I'm against the use of Fist in any NA movie. He's a perfectly interesting character, on his own, or playing off Luke Cage alone. But as part of NA, he's kinda superfluous -- rich guy using his fortune for superheroics? That's Iron Man. Street-level vigilante with personal code of ethics? That's Hawkeye. There's not much room for Danny Rand to stand out, especially while Hawkeye is doing the "resident ninja" gimmick. In spite of my misgivings, I casted Nicky Katt, anyway. Katt has played mostly rough-edged patent bastards in indie films; he seems to be a pet actor of director Richard Linklater, with various supporting roles in SubUrbia, Waking Life, and Dazed and Confused (all helmed by Linklater). But he's also played diamond-in-the-rough type characters, most notably badass teacher Harry Senate on classroom drama Boston Public.

jarvis.jpg

Jim Broadbent as Jarvis. Veteran British actor Jim Broadbent actually has the range needed to be my choice as both the 616 AND Ultimate versions of Jarvis, no matter how disparate. He's just THAT talented. Obviously, in this version, he needs to be more on the cuddly, paternal side he displayed in the Bridget Jones movies (as the protagonist's dad), rather than the calculating ring-master he played in, say, Moulin Rouge. But I trust he'll fit the role, one way or another.

But I figure this is the fairest way to end a Tie-Breaker (because If I tossed my vote in, Shade would win, and I would be accused of favoritism)
Wait a second -- is there going to be a second round of voting? Like, a run-off? Or are you deciding the winner, on the strength of our combined, expanded cast?

Here's my logic -- this is the Avengers' b-team. All potentially interesting characters on their own (especially Iron Fist), but when they're part of NA, they're second fiddle to the obvious "big guns". And so my casting reflects this -- I picked able supporting players (from ensemble TV shows mostly), to complement my slightly-more-famous main cast.

Having said that...

hawkeye.jpg

Michael Vartan as Hawkeye. So far, Vartan is is usually remembered as Agent Vaughn, a key supporting player (and principal romantic interest) on the long-running "spy-fi" drama Alias. He's got a natural ordinary-Joe charm but can do "ethically gray" convincingly enough to play a well-meaning guy who has been on either side of the law, at various points in his career.

scarletwitch.jpg

Morena Baccarin as Scarlet Witch. Scarlet Witch is, honestly, a bit of a mess, as a character. She's been portrayed as maternal, sexual, and mentally unstable, depending on who is pulling which of her strings. Baccarin, who played the main "Companion" (read: geisha or courtesan) in the cult sci-fi/Western Firefly, is well-placed for the role of a character who seemingly embodies so many contradictions, but manages to remain a whole person, in spite of it.

ironfist.jpg

Nicky Katt as Iron Fist. Let me say categorically that I'm against the use of Fist in any NA movie. He's a perfectly interesting character, on his own, or playing off Luke Cage alone. But as part of NA, he's kinda superfluous -- rich guy using his fortune for superheroics? That's Iron Man. Street-level vigilante with personal code of ethics? That's Hawkeye. There's not much room for Danny Rand to stand out, especially while Hawkeye is doing the "resident ninja" gimmick. In spite of my misgivings, I casted Nicky Katt, anyway. Katt has played mostly rough-edged patent bastards in indie films; he seems to be a pet actor of director Richard Linklater, with various supporting roles in SubUrbia, Waking Life, and Dazed and Confused (all helmed by Linklater). But he's also played diamond-in-the-rough type characters, most notably badass teacher Harry Senate on classroom drama Boston Public.

jarvis.jpg

Jim Broadbent as Jarvis. Veteran British actor Jim Broadbent actually has the range needed to be my choice as both the 616 AND Ultimate versions of Jarvis, no matter how disparate. He's just THAT talented. Obviously, in this version, he needs to be more on the cuddly, paternal side he displayed in the Bridget Jones movies (as the protagonist's dad), rather than the calculating ring-master he played in, say, Moulin Rouge. But I trust he'll fit the role, one way or another.

Wait a second -- is there going to be a second round of voting? Like, a run-off? Or are you deciding the winner, on the strength of our combined, expanded cast?

O MY SWEET SCIENCE!

Can we please just name Compound the winner and get to the next round. It's so painfully obvious that he has this round perectly cast.

Another Round of Voting at the end of the weekend.

Also: Compound, great choices for both Scarlet Witch (if I had a cast this round, she would have been who'd i would've cast) and Hawkeye... Not sold on your Jarvis... and I need to think a little about your Iron Fist

Last edited:
alright

hawkeye: matt damon
Matt_Damon%20-%201%20-%20The_Departed.jpg

scarlet witch: monica bellucci
225px-Monica_Bellucci_2003.jpg

iron fist: christian bale
CB.png

jarvis: ian holm
250712~Ian-Holm-Posters.jpg

i'll do explanations later, sorry.

Last edited:
Is compound just using that program where you put in pictures of people and it gives you celebs who look the most like them?

But seriously, good work compound, those are great choices. Unless you have been using that program. :)

shades is awesome. woulda gone with compund but that was a bad choice for wanda. like catherine zeta jones the best. her voice is perfect.

See, Hibiki thinks I should be in it.

you had some good ones. i would have changed luke cage for cheeseburger eddie guy from longest yard. The buff black guy from Friday 3. Kate beckinsale is spot on imo. Gerard butler could really nail the voice for wolvie and he has the natural rugged look. Brad pitt can play anyone imo. Phoenix would be an awesome IM and Matt Damon seriously has the cap from ww2 look down... him and eckhart. Either of them would be a good choice for cap. If you did natasha, I think mila jovovich would be an excellent choice.

Matt Damon seriously has the cap from ww2 look down... him and eckhart. Either of them would be a good choice for cap.
I'm a total Captain America casting snob to the point that I can't reasonably figure out who to cast as him.

The thing of it is that I believe whoever plays Captain America has to not only be a good actor, but ALSO have classical good looks, and by classical good looks I mean the kind of handsome that is very specific to the forties. Watch all the actors from that era and if you look past the hairstyle and the clothes, you'll notice that the combination of facial features they have seem to have ceased to exist, almost as if they bred themselves out of existence.

And because of this line of thinking, I may never be able to cast Cap to my own satisfaction.

I'm a total Captain America casting snob to the point that I can't reasonably figure out who to cast as him.

The thing of it is that I believe whoever plays Captain America has to not only be a good actor, but ALSO have classical good looks, and by classical good looks I mean the kind of handsome that is very specific to the forties. Watch all the actors from that era and if you look past the hairstyle and the clothes, you'll notice that the combination of facial features they have seem to have ceased to exist, almost as if they bred themselves out of existence.

And because of this line of thinking, I may never be able to cast Cap to my own satisfaction.

So would you approve Eckhart or Damon in a Cap role?

So would you approve Eckhart or Damon in a Cap role?
Neither.

But not for lack of talent from either actor. They are both excellent actors who --- given an ideal situation --- would probably try to do they best they could with both characters.

Also, I think based on performances from The Core and Thank You For Smoking, Eckhart it's a waste to not use him to play chattier self-absorbed characters.

Neither.

But not for lack of talent from either actor. They are both excellent actors who --- given an ideal situation --- would probably try to do they best they could with both characters.

Also, I think based on performances from The Core and Thank You For Smoking, Eckhart it's a waste to not use him to play chattier self-absorbed characters.

Eckhart = Pym?

Neither.

To be honest---while I've cast Eckhart as Cap before in the other 27 Avengers Dreamcasting rounds...I agree with Ourchair.

His is a role that's too difficult to cast with current actors. There are actors out there now who would look good in the costume....but there are practically none that embody the character in the era he originated, since he's WWII era. The mold of man was a little more different then.

Anyhoo....I've been playing around with the notion of casting either James Marsden as Cap or even lesser-known Josh Duhamel. Anything beyond that really and you're looking at unknown casting calls similar to Superman.

The character is just too iconic and nigh impossible to cast (by casting snobs anyways :winkk: ).

I agree about cap, he's damn hard to cast...

If he was a few years younger though, maybe Peter Krause from Sports Night and Six Feet Under... But he's probably too obscure...

Ugh. Bass, come home now and just toss us some people, I want voting to be over so I can cast something again...

Latest posts

Back