Dreamcasting # 9 - The New Avengers

To be honest---while I've cast Eckhart as Cap before in the other 27 Avengers Dreamcasting rounds...I agree with Ourchair.

His is a role that's too difficult to cast with current actors. There are actors out there now who would look good in the costume....but there are practically none that embody the character in the era he originated, since he's WWII era. The mold of man was a little more different then.

Anyhoo....I've been playing around with the notion of casting either James Marsden as Cap or even lesser-known Josh Duhamel. Anything beyond that really and you're looking at unknown casting calls similar to Superman.

The character is just too iconic and nigh impossible to cast (by casting snobs anyways :winkk: ).
It's not really a matter of 'iconicness' as it is the fact that I WANT someone whose physical features are 40sesque. It's a very pure and shallow lookist thing that I don't succumb to very often.

Hibiki said:
Eckhart = Pym?
Already did it.

http://ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=274905&postcount=77

I still say Eric Johnson woulf be a great cap

If he was a few years younger though, maybe Peter Krause from Sports Night and Six Feet Under... But he's probably too obscure...
That's a GREAT choice. I. totally. approve.

And I don't think he's too obscure. Remember that Eric Bana and Thomas Jane were pretty much the most nobody of nobodies among actors to play a Marvel hero and producers seemed to be comfortable getting them.

ugh, i am so bored I have just done a COMPLETE casting for two different properties... well maybe i'm still thinking about one or two... but seriously... I want somebody to win so I can participate in a round and win it again. Heh.

I'm not saying which properties, because I'm secretly hoping the winner chooses one of them.

But one of them has been optioned for a movie recently, and one of them probably will never be optioned for a movie.

Hmm... Maybe I'll start looking at a few Vertigo titles... I have SOME ideas for Sandman.

Last edited:
Just declare me winner and get it over with. I have a fantastic choice for the next round. (I'm not kidding, it'll rock your socks off.)

Sorry bluebeast, but were I to declare a winner, I think if i didn't go with one of the frontrunners, some people might get upset... heh.

But now I'm upset. :cry:

BTW I meant everyone to vote for me. It wasn't technichally specified that you couldn't vote for me or VVD.

Last edited:
No... Im pretty sure that I said that come this weekend, you can only vote for Compound, Shade, or Bass (should he contribute an entry)

Sorry Kiddo. There's always next time.

Last edited:
I know, I'm just desperate to use my idea before someone else does. I knew I couldn't win.

The only way I'd accept Brad Pitt as Captain America in an Avengers/Ultimates movie was if Ed Norton was Bruce Banner.

The only way I'd accept Brad Pitt as Captain America in an Avengers/Ultimates movie was if Ed Norton was Bruce Banner.
Captain America: I want you to hit me... as hard as ---

Hulk: SMASH! HAHAHAHA STUPID FLAG-MAN ASKED HULK TO SMASH HIM!

Tony Stark, singing while clearly drunk off his ***: "With your feet in the air and your head on the ground... Try this trick and spin it, yeah!"

Last edited:
Brad Pitt as Thor and/or Loki = priceless.

If Bass hasn't posted here, even just to say that he's GOING to post a list later, voting starts at Midnight Tonight.

Shade vs. Compound.

What am I supposed to be doing? :?

Eight Votes were cast (counting Hibiki's, though she never sent me that PM) over the past 24 hours, less than I hoped, but not a small Number by any means...

One vote for bluebeast
One vote for VVD

And then Two for Compound, Bass, and Shade.

So here's what we're going to do...

You have until Wednesday to cast Four More New Avengers characters (and I checked, none of these were cast in your individual casts):

Hawkeye - Now going by the name Ronin, though who knows how long that will last.

Scarlet Witch - She disassembled the Avengers, then decided there should be no more mutants but then through a deus ex... I mean CHAOS MAGIC... there were still some left over. Coincidentally, the ones we cared about the most.

Iron Fist - Former Hero For Hire, and current Avenger.

Jarvis - Everyone's favorite Butler (aside from Alfred, and Ultimate Jarvis)

If you guys don't think you can manage to post a list by then, just let me know, and maybe we'll extend it a bit...

But I figure this is the fairest way to end a Tie-Breaker (because If I tossed my vote in, Shade would win, and I would be accused of favoritism)

So you can decide that you want to toss your hat in the ring, or leave the voting between Shade and Compound

Here is Shade's List:
alright

hawkeye: matt damon
Matt_Damon%20-%201%20-%20The_Departed.jpg

scarlet witch: monica bellucci
225px-Monica_Bellucci_2003.jpg

iron fist: christian bale
CB.png

jarvis: ian holm
250712~Ian-Holm-Posters.jpg

i'll do explanations later, sorry.

And here is Compound's:

Here's my logic -- this is the Avengers' b-team. All potentially interesting characters on their own (especially Iron Fist), but when they're part of NA, they're second fiddle to the obvious "big guns". And so my casting reflects this -- I picked able supporting players (from ensemble TV shows mostly), to complement my slightly-more-famous main cast.

Having said that...

hawkeye.jpg

Michael Vartan as Hawkeye. So far, Vartan is is usually remembered as Agent Vaughn, a key supporting player (and principal romantic interest) on the long-running "spy-fi" drama Alias. He's got a natural ordinary-Joe charm but can do "ethically gray" convincingly enough to play a well-meaning guy who has been on either side of the law, at various points in his career.

scarletwitch.jpg

Morena Baccarin as Scarlet Witch. Scarlet Witch is, honestly, a bit of a mess, as a character. She's been portrayed as maternal, sexual, and mentally unstable, depending on who is pulling which of her strings. Baccarin, who played the main "Companion" (read: geisha or courtesan) in the cult sci-fi/Western Firefly, is well-placed for the role of a character who seemingly embodies so many contradictions, but manages to remain a whole person, in spite of it.

ironfist.jpg

Nicky Katt as Iron Fist. Let me say categorically that I'm against the use of Fist in any NA movie. He's a perfectly interesting character, on his own, or playing off Luke Cage alone. But as part of NA, he's kinda superfluous -- rich guy using his fortune for superheroics? That's Iron Man. Street-level vigilante with personal code of ethics? That's Hawkeye. There's not much room for Danny Rand to stand out, especially while Hawkeye is doing the "resident ninja" gimmick. In spite of my misgivings, I casted Nicky Katt, anyway. Katt has played mostly rough-edged patent bastards in indie films; he seems to be a pet actor of director Richard Linklater, with various supporting roles in SubUrbia, Waking Life, and Dazed and Confused (all helmed by Linklater). But he's also played diamond-in-the-rough type characters, most notably badass teacher Harry Senate on classroom drama Boston Public.

jarvis.jpg

Jim Broadbent as Jarvis. Veteran British actor Jim Broadbent actually has the range needed to be my choice as both the 616 AND Ultimate versions of Jarvis, no matter how disparate. He's just THAT talented. Obviously, in this version, he needs to be more on the cuddly, paternal side he displayed in the Bridget Jones movies (as the protagonist's dad), rather than the calculating ring-master he played in, say, Moulin Rouge. But I trust he'll fit the role, one way or another.

If you decide to toss one in, I'll give you another day to figure out who you'd choose, and then everyone would vote starting midnight tomorrow

If not, then voting starts at midnight tonight.

Latest posts

Back