Dreamcasting: Adaptations #10 - GI JOE

I'm going to critique Bass' cast some here.

I don't agree with who you put Fillon on here. Fillon's humor lies more with the sarcastic remarks, and subtle hints of a joke laid out here and there, Shipwreck is more of a in your face comedic personality. Fillon would be suited to more of a Flint character, someone who is funny, but only if you catch it, while Shipwreck woul dbe better played by an over the top person, like Campbell.

Famke as Baroness is not all that inspired. You try to put her in every cast you do. While she would be fine, I have a better actress in mind for that character

Avery Brooks is a great actor, but I don't see him as Destro, hell, I don't see Destro as a big black man myself, but that's just me. Destro is big, yes, but if your simply going by the voice, who says only big black men have deep enough voices to be Destro?

I don't like your Mindbender cjoice at all, it irks me for some reason. The actor doesn't seem to fit the character at all.

That is a great cast but-

Action Force? ACTION FORCE?!

I don't care who you are or where you're from it's ****ing G.I. Joe.

Full Force? Weak

YO JOE!

First off, I'm posting no pictures, just links to the actors IMDB page because pictures really don't tell you everything. I also tried to keep my actors relatively unknown, as a movie with this many roles would need to do, and for the most part, I managed that.

The plot of my movie is we begin at a used car dealership, where the actor portraying Cobra commander is making a sale. He fails, and is perturbed. Walking into his office, we see a bunch of pictures which show our anti-hero with his brother, Dan, who is a war hero for the US. Then, mail is delivered, and in it is a letter from the US army stating that Dan has died. The actor looks into the screen, and we see him snap visually.

Then flash forward ten years. Shipwreck is seen joining the Joes for the first time. He meets with Duke, Scarlet and Roadblock then their first mission comes in. COBRA is attacking all over the world.

The plot will be like a James Bond movie, except lots more action. At some point, the ninjas Storm Shadow and Snake eyes join their respective sides, and Major Bludd tries to kill Destro. I may even throw in a new twist, have Shipwreck reveal himself to be a COBRA agent, but at the end, prove himself to be a GI JOE. The ending will be COBRA Commander facing off with Duke, and when it ends, you think both of them are dead. Duke is pulled out by his comrades and lives, while COBRA commander gets himself out of the wreckage, and rejoins COBRA.

Here's my cast.

GI Joe

I only casted the main four, and one bonus actor. I went for quality over quantity here.

Colin Ferguson as Duke. Ferguson is an all American looking actor, tall, blond, muscular, and he has the ability to play a well liked strong character.

Julianne Moore as Scarlet. Hardest one for me to choose, and I was trying to think of a strong woman actress. I went with Moore because of her portrayal as a strong women in Children of Men, where she led the rebels, yet was passionate enough to convey sexyiness beneath all that grime. Something Scarlet should always be able to do.

Dwayne Johnson as Road Block. Massive, fun loving, and adorable even while holding his own with a oversized gantlet gun. The Rock can do all this, and then even raise his eyebrow at the hordes of COBRA.

Tony Jaa as Snake Eyes. Snake Eyes is in your face. Snakes Eyes is all up in your ****. Snake Eyes is one bad mofo. For anyone who has seen Ong Bak, you know that Tony Jaa can kick ***. He can do that here, without wires, as well as do it without speaking one word.

James Rodey as Shipwreck. I wanted Shipwreck to be the newbie in this cast, so I went with a relatively unknown actor. James Rodey can play a prankster as seen in his USA show Pysch.

COBRA Forces

Gary Oldman as COBRA Commander. Gary Oldman can play crazies. And please, let's not forget that at his core, COBRA Commander is one crazy man. It takes that to be a car salesman, then become a world terrorist for the simply fact that the army was the cause of your brother's death.

Jason Statham as Destro. I wanted someone big, white, and looks like he give a beating. I imagine a huge fight between him, Major Bludd, Snakes eyes and Storm Shadow in the ruins of a building. Lots of flips, action, and punches being thrown, and four action flick awesomness. I just hope that Jason could keep the serious side of Destro down.

Sophie Marceau as Baroness. She's sexy, beautiful, and has stabbed numerous people in the back. Sophie has the french accent down as well, considering she is French, and she oozes the sexyness that the Baroness should ooze, without it being campy.

Russell Crowe as Major Bludd. He's a badass talking Aussie whose out to shoot people in the back. I'm talking about both Bludd and Crowe here.

Stephen Chow as Storm Shadow. Let's face it, Storm Shadow is a talker, to Snakes Eyes no words. Storm Shadow will be portrayed by Chow, whose brand of funnyness will contrast Tony Jaa's brand of seriousness, further emulating the fact that these two are two sides of the same coin.

Jeffrey Donovan as Zartan. In his show Burn Notice, Jeffrey is forced to act in several different roles, and disguise himself as several different people, and he does it flawlessly, switching between them with ease. His normal look is normal enough that people won't remember him, something a master of disguise would need.

Last edited:
I'm going to critique Bass' cast some here.

I don't agree with who you put Fillon on here. Fillon's humor lies more with the sarcastic remarks, and subtle hints of a joke laid out here and there, Shipwreck is more of a in your face comedic personality. Fillon would be suited to more of a Flint character, someone who is funny, but only if you catch it, while Shipwreck woul dbe better played by an over the top person, like Campbell.

Well *I* disagree with *you* stinky. I seem to remember a lot of Mal's humour in FIREFLY being that he bumbles around. The pilot episode - he shoots down a fighter - that then crashes into the turret he shot it down from. He says hardcore things like, "You want to run this ship?" only to have the challenge met with, "Yes!". His retort? "Well... you can't."

Mal, throughout the episode is continually doing smart things, only to find out he's actually not that smart or practical - always coming up short of the cool action hero he thinks he is.

That's Shipwreck.

Famke as Baroness is not all that inspired. You try to put her in every cast you do. While she would be fine, I have a better actress in mind for that character

Number of times Bass has competed in Dreamcasting: 6
Number of times Bass has used Famke Janssen for any role: 0

Avery Brooks is a great actor, but I don't see him as Destro, hell, I don't see Destro as a big black man myself, but that's just me. Destro is big, yes, but if your simply going by the voice, who says only big black men have deep enough voices to be Destro?

Yeah, see - all I did was, when I was a kid watching Action Force, I just liked Destro. The one day someone showed me Destro's real face or something and I was shocked because it didn't look like what I imagined Destro to look like, because in my head, Destro was always black. I imagined him as the African warlord arms dealer guy. That's why I cast Avery Brooks. Because in my head, Destro is African.

Not because he's got a deep voice.

I don't like your Mindbender cjoice at all, it irks me for some reason. The actor doesn't seem to fit the character at all.

My whole cast is just made up of actors who make me smile when I see 'em. (I couldn't fit Johnny Depp in there. Maybe he'd have been a good Flint.) William Sadler makes me smile. And he has done a quasi-germanic accent in BILL & TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY. He's a top actor and I felt sticking him next to Willem DaFoe's Major Bludd would be a really cool villainous tagteam.

As for your cast list - I've not seen Colin Ferguson in anything but he ****ing looks a lot like Duke. Julianne Moore as Scarlett doesn't interest me, but then I'm indifferent towards her. I almost went for The Rock as Road Block too, but the thing for me was, The Rock actually doesn't look like Roadblock and Roadblock was iconic Forcer. So I went for Terry Crews. But Rock as Roadblock I still think is a good choice.

I haven't seen James Rodey or Jeffrey Donovan in anything so I can't comment.

For Snake Eyes, I did some youtube looking on martial artists, and Tony Jaa came up. Something about him I didn't like for Snake Eyes. He - I dunno, maybe he was too over-the-top. Dunno.

Gary Oldman as COBRA Commander was on my short list too. I think we agree - with Chris Latta dead, Cobra Commander has to be British. :p

Jason Statham as Destro is a really good choice.

Sophie Marceau as Baroness - I gotta say, Baroness was campy and I'm surprised to hear her accent was supposed to be French. I'm still convinced Famke Janssen's the best choice here, but that's just me.

Russell Crowe as Major Bludd - I don't get this one. I don't see Crowe playing fourth fiddle to CC, Destro, and Baroness.

Stephen Chow as Storm Shadow is quite clever. I wanted Storm Shadow to be a badass mofo, but Stephen Chow could make him funny. That's intriguing.

ProjectX2 said:
I'm sick of people saying this every damn round.

Number of times Bass has won Dreamcasting: 1.

Yeah, see - all I did was, when I was a kid watching Action Force, I just liked Destro. The one day someone showed me Destro's real face or something and I was shocked because it didn't look like what I imagined Destro to look like, because in my head, Destro was always black. I imagined him as the African warlord arms dealer guy. That's why I cast Avery Brooks. Because in my head, Destro is African.

Same thing with me

Well *I* disagree with *you* stinky. I seem to remember a lot of Mal's humour in FIREFLY being that he bumbles around. The pilot episode - he shoots down a fighter - that then crashes into the turret he shot it down from. He says hardcore things like, "You want to run this ship?" only to have the challenge met with, "Yes!". His retort? "Well... you can't."

Mal, throughout the episode is continually doing smart things, only to find out he's actually not that smart or practical - always coming up short of the cool action hero he thinks he is.

That's Shipwreck.

See, I see that as Mal, not as Shipwreck. But we, evidently, view the character as different.

Number of times Bass has used Famke Janssen for any role: 0

Touche.

He's from Scotland, not Africa, though there is Scottish Blacks. But he walks around without a T-shirt on, and his coat always open showing off his chest, which is white. All I'm saying.

My whole cast is just made up of actors who make me smile when I see 'em. (I couldn't fit Johnny Depp in there. Maybe he'd have been a good Flint.) William Sadler makes me smile. And he has done a quasi-germanic accent in BILL & TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY. He's a top actor and I felt sticking him next to Willem DaFoe's Major Bludd would be a really cool villainous tagteam.

See, we took two different approaches to this movie, each to support our cast. You took the campy side of Joe, and ran with it, using actors that would make the audience laugh there way through it. I chose the serious side of Joe, and my cast supports that.

As for your cast list - I've not seen Colin Ferguson in anything but he ****ing looks a lot like Duke.

When I did Excaliber Dreamcast, I had him down for Captain Britian, but took him off simply because of age. He's a good actor from the show I've seen him in, Eureka. And I picked him cause yes, he looks exactly like Duke.

Julianne Moore as Scarlett doesn't interest me, but then I'm indifferent towards her.

Fair Enough

I almost went for The Rock as Road Block too, but the thing for me was, The Rock actually doesn't look like Roadblock and Roadblock was iconic Forcer. So I went for Terry Crews. But Rock as Roadblock I still think is a good choice.

You took my first choice for Roadblock. Crews was an inspired choice. I also think Terry Tates good be a good choice as well.

I haven't seen James Rodey or Jeffrey Donovan in anything so I can't comment.

They re new actors, recently gaining some fanbase. Watch Pysch and Burn Notice. I enjoy the shows. You'd like Pysch especially because you enjoy Columbo so much,

For Snake Eyes, I did some youtube looking on martial artists, and Tony Jaa came up. Something about him I didn't like for Snake Eyes. He - I dunno, maybe he was too over-the-top. Dunno.

Stephen Chow as Storm Shadow is quite clever. I wanted Storm Shadow to be a badass mofo, but Stephen Chow could make him funny. That's intriguing.

I view Snake Eyes as over the top myself. But I needed him to balance out the funny Stephen Chow.

Gary Oldman as COBRA Commander was on my short list too. I think we agree - with Chris Latta dead, Cobra Commander has to be British. :p

Sometimes, we think alike. Does that mean sometimes I'm in tuned with the Nexus? Do you watch me?

Jason Statham as Destro is a really good choice.

I like it.

Sophie Marceau as Baroness - I gotta say, Baroness was campy and I'm surprised to hear her accent was supposed to be French. I'm still convinced Famke Janssen's the best choice here, but that's just me.

I always viewed her as French. Maybe it was just the voice actor being campy about it. But in my movie, which would be the serious side, I would like her to be a sexy French Lady

Russell Crowe as Major Bludd - I don't get this one. I don't see Crowe playing fourth fiddle to CC, Destro, and Baroness.

I really couldn't find a good person for Bludd, and I will admit, this is not the best choice. But Bludd is an Aussie, and likes to beat people up, something that Crowe likes to do as well.

See, I see that as Mal, not as Shipwreck. But we, evidently, view the character as different.

But - you just said that Mal is funny by being sarcastic, whereas Shipwreck is more funny in a bumbling slapstick way. I then point out that Mal was also funny in a bumbling slapstick way, and you now say that's not Shipwreck? :?

That said, Shipwreck can't be a bumbling oaf in your movie anyway since it's the more serious

He's from Scotland, not Africa, though there is Scottish Blacks. But he walks around without a T-shirt on, and his coat always open showing off his chest, which is white. All I'm saying.

Oh yeah! How weird. :oops:

I obviously didn't pay as much attention to his sweaty pectorals growing up as you did.

Sometimes, we think alike. Does that mean sometimes I'm in tuned with the Nexus? Do you watch me?

Only when you're thinking about Destro's man-bosom.

That is a great cast but-

Action Force? ACTION FORCE?!

I don't care who you are or where you're from it's ****ing G.I. Joe.

Full Force? Weak

YO JOE!

frfrdsesaaaatj5.jpg

Same thing with me

Don't try and get on my good side, loser.

But - you just said that Mal is funny by being sarcastic, whereas Shipwreck is more funny in a bumbling slapstick way. I then point out that Mal was also funny in a bumbling slapstick way, and you now say that's not Shipwreck? :?

That said, Shipwreck can't be a bumbling oaf in your movie anyway since it's the more serious

You never seen the guy I picked, he could make it work.

Oh yeah! How weird. :oops:

I obviously didn't pay as much attention to his sweaty pectorals growing up as you did.

Only when you're thinking about Destro's man-bosom.

I knew being a closet homo would help me out sometime.

Don't try and get on my good side, loser.

Don't worry Random

I still love you

So - I'm watching my old ACTION FORCE videos.

They ****ing rock. I say CAPTIVES OF COBRA which is a brilliant episode. Cobra create a brand new explosive that's a growing crystal in a base near a US mountain town. The lab explodes, leaving the crystals growing in the desert, and causes an avalanche that almost destroys the mountain town. Action Force has to safely dispose of the crystals to stop Cobra getting involved and protect the town. They discover the crystals completely destroy themselves when they explode, so the idea is to move the crystals some place safe and blow them up. Except it's a bumpy ride and a slight jolt could make them explode. They get in ATV (which is an awesome toy) and begin driving.

Cobra need the crystals. And Baroness comes up with a plan: Kidnap the families of the Action Force team guarding the crystals, brainwash 'em, give them guns and have them shoot at Action Force.

It's a great episode with lots of emotion. I ****ing loved it.

BUT! What really surprised me when watching these old episodes was this: First! How did I miss all the GI Joe insignias? On every vehicle, all the comm devices - it says it. I must've just dismissed it.

Second! Destro's jacket is completely unbuttoned down to his grown. You can see the man's stomach. He is clearly Caucasian. Tanned, sure, but white. How the hell did I think he was black?!

Third! Cobra Commander is the best villain ever. He's like Zim.

Baroness (trying to explain her plan for sending the Action Force families at them): "Who, in all the world, would never hurt?"
Cobra Commander: "ME!"

Best. Villain. Ever.

Latest posts

Back