Dreamcasting Adaptations #20: Down the rabbit hole....

i suppose a lot of it would have to be animatronic, or CG. e.g. cheshire cat- I'd use the actor's face as a guideline for the cg animation. mostly it would be in live action, but for the parts that call for it...

story wise im going more with the disney animated version, as there are fewer parts to cast... that said, i'm keeping some key/interesting characters (like the duchess)

Alice
The seven-year-old protagonist of the story. Alice believes that the world is orderly and stable, and she has an insatiable curiosity about her surroundings. Wonderland challenges and frustrates her perceptions of the world.

We're making her a little older.
Saoirse Ronan
img_5.jpg

The White Rabbit
The frantic, harried Wonderland creature that originally leads Alice to Wonderland. The White Rabbit is figure of some importance, but he is manic, timid, and occasionally aggressive.
Michael Palin
michael-palin1.jpg

He's my favorite member of Monty Python, and I think he'd fit the role well.

The Queen of Hearts
The ruler of Wonderland. The Queen is severe and domineering, continually screaming for her subjects to be beheaded.
Monica Belluci
061010MonicaBellucci_PH_27.jpg

yeah.

The Cheshire Cat
A perpetually grinning cat who appears and disappears at will. The Cheshire Cat displays a detached, clearheaded logic and explains Wonderland's madness to Alice.
Jack Nicholson
jacknicholson_2_.jpg

he's got catty features... and all we'd need are those features for the CGI

The Duchess
The Queen's uncommonly ugly cousin. The Duchess behaves rudely to Alice at first, but later treats her so affectionately that her advances feel threatening.
Pam Ferris
TB1.jpg

You may remember her as Trunchbull in Matilda, or in Children of Men as the pregnant girl's caretaker

The Caterpillar
A Wonderland creature. The Caterpillar sits on a mushroom, smokes a hookah, and treats Alice with contempt. He directs Alice to the magic mushroom that allows her to shrink and grow.
CG again, but for voice and facial features...
Jeffrey Tambor
2551749.jpg

The Mad Hatter
A small, impolite hatter who lives in perpetual tea-time. The Mad Hatter enjoys frustrating Alice.
Martin Short
short_02.jpg

I know he played the character before, and if that DQ's me, ok, but he's SO perfect for the role. He was born for it.

The March Hare
The Mad Hatter's tea-time companion. The March Hare takes great pleasure in frustrating Alice.
Mark Hamill
mark%20hamill.jpg

he'd be great.

Optional:

The Mock Turtle
A turtle with the head of a calf. The Mock Turtle is friendly to Alice but is exceedingly sentimental and self-absorbed.
Harland Williams
1023992_356x237.jpg

guy always reminded me of a turtle

Bill
A lizard who first appears as a servant of the White Rabbit and later as a juror at the trial. Bill is stupid and ineffectual.
Bill Nighy (ha Bill playing Bill)
Bill-Nighy.jpg

just look at that lizardy chimbley-sweep!!!

Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum
Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill
I ran out of pics per post, so here's the links:
http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/06/dupree.jpg
http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/u/O/P/knockeduppic19.jpg

Last edited:
If Langsta officially declares this round extended, then i'll post a cast. But i'll need another few hours to do it.

What's the deal? Is there a revised deadline?

If Langsta officially declares this round extended, then i'll post a cast. But i'll need another few hours to do it.

What's the deal? Is there a revised deadline?

Yes, I'll extend it. I've had limited computer use lately.

I envision a magical realist version of the story, unfolding in present day London, when the illusory promise of Tony Blair's "Cool Brittania" has faded; the sense of wonder and possibility replaced by the everyday drudgery of post 9/11 Blighty.

The protagonist is intelligent 17-year-old Alice, who lives in a council estate with her divorced alcoholic father. Despite her tomboyish posturing and Cockney/chav-ish street knowledge, she wants nothing more than to be able to afford a university education, and frequently uses trips to the library to read up on physics and mathematics (precise disciplines that make the big, bad world around her easier to measure, understand, and control). One night, while fleeing a pair of muggers, she follows a mysterious creature down a sewer manhole, and into "Underland", a magical version of London that exists just beneath the city. It runs on clockwork and imagination, unnoticed by most humans, in a fragile co-existence with the "ordinary" world. (And why exactly does it seem so strangely familiar to her?)

alice.jpg

My contemporary Alice will be played by Emma Watson, best known for her role as Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter films. Here, she retains the book-smarts associated with her 'signature' character, but mixes that with a patina of outward toughness that allows her to survive, once she enters the dangerous, trippy world of Underland.

Among the strange figures she meets in this place are:

rabbit.jpg

The White Rabbit, played by Vinnie Jones
A dour working stiff, The White Rabbit is a manual laborer, operating a section of the "imaginary clockwork" that powers Underland. He is perpetually harassed, impatient, and usually in a hurry to punch his time-card in and out, during breaks in his shift. He's 400 lbs of fur, sweat, and muscle, played by perennial hard man Vinnie Jones (of X3 and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels fame).

queen.jpg

The Queen of Hearts, played by Eddie Izzard
Izzard is best known to American audiences as the charming, roguish patriarch/conman in The Riches, but he's also an accomplished comedian known for his arch characterizations and drag queen persona. For me, this makes him a shoo in for the part of Underland's domineering ruler.

king.jpg

The King of Hearts, played by Steve Coogan
Coogan, best remembered for his role in 24 Hour Party People, has just the right kind of "likable sad sack" performance style to give life to the good-natured but ineffectual King of Underland. If you've seen him in Around the World in 80 Days, you'll know what I mean.

cheshirecat.jpg

The Cheshire Cat, played by Simon Pegg
Likeable, friendly, but frustratingly inconsistent, the Cheshire Cat is portrayed by Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead, Spaced). He helps Alice make sense of the strange new world she's stumbled into.

duchess.jpg

The Duchess, played by Dawn French
Dawn French (of Absolutely Fabulous) is more than capable of realizing this ungainly royal with an imposing presence. And she looks like she could be related to Izzard, too, so that helps.

caterpillar.jpg

The Caterpillar, played by Dylan Moran
And i'm not talking about foppish Shaun of the Dead Dylan Moran. I mean the condescending, cantankerous curmudgeon that he plays during his stand-up comedy routines, as well as the criminally under-rated Black Books.

hatter.jpg

The Mad Hatter, played by Martin Freeman
I forsee a breakthrough performance by Martin Freeman, from the UK version of The Office. In a movie full of actors who tend to chew the scenery, he ought to provide a more understated (but no less memorable) job as the rude hatter, whose perpetual "teatime" is more like a never-ending pub crawl during happy hour.

marchhare.jpg

The March Hare, played by Robert Carlyle
The Mad Hatter's more disagreeable drinking buddy -- played by Begbie, from Trainspotting. Nuff said.

The soundtrack will consist of a lively, youthful mix of contemporary Brit performers. I'm thinking M.I.A., Lily Allen, Dizzee Rascal, The Rakes, Bloc Party, Hadouken!, The Streets, Lady Sovereign, etc.

Last edited:
Well, I'd say this round is just about done. You guys can vote now if you want (I've been grounded from the computer for a while).

I envision a magical realist version of the story, unfolding in present day London, when the illusory promise of Tony Blair's "Cool Brittania" has faded; the sense of wonder and possibility replaced by the everyday drudgery of post 9/11 Blighty.

wow i really like that whole cast, save for the characterization and casting of the white rabbit.

aside from that one, GREAT cast and pitch!

Latest posts

Back