Dreamcasting: Adaptations #9 - The Wizard of Oz

My adaption would be a bit darker, and therefore older... so I'm thinking early 20's.

Zooey Deschanel is portraying a character similar to Dorothy on Television.

I cast her as Dorothy in a Film Adaptation, and unaware of her being in "Tin Man".

Different Mediums. And even if you want to further try to disqualify it, She isn't playing dorothy, she's playing "DG". The adaptation is so radically different, that you really can't count it... Read the description for pete's sake.

I stand by my choice.

I thought it was any medium, I seem to remember somebody not being able to cast a Timmverse voice as a member of the JLA back in one of the first rounds. Ah well, I don't really care. "Dithkwalified" was just begging to be typed.:p

In other news, I have just fit in my choice for the Lion. My full list is now complete. Still might swtich Dorothys, though.

After much mumbling and grumbling and a little research, I have finally come up with my own dreamcast for The Wizard of Oz. Reluctantly. And I still resent this round on general principle. GI Joe would've been so much cooler on so many levels. I feel like a little girl casting this film. My 10-year-old daughter just played a munchkin in a stage version of Oz last month, though, so I figured why the hell not?

Moving right along...

I don't submit this cast with any sort of big makeover or revamp in mind. Nor am I sticking to the book version versus the 1939 musical film version. I believe that most people enjoy the latter, so I see no reason to pull a "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" here (I liked the Gene Wilder Wonka better) and Burtonize it or del Toro it (as I've said, I loathe seeing fat goth kids flocking to Hot Topic and running this crap into the ground like they have with anything Burton's done since the early 90's.) I am picking this cast with the spirit of the 1939 film version in mind, plain and simple.

As such, a few of the actors/actresses I've chosen may seem a bit unconventional. That is because I wanted at least a few of them to have some broadway/stage/musical experience. Yes, people can learn to sing with the help of vocal coaches and the like, but you don't want to have to train a whole cast. So, without any further ado...

THE WIZARD OF OZ

Anneliese van der Pol as Dorothy Gale
Anneliese06.jpg

Ms. van der Pol has experience on stage that spans back to her childhood. She is probably most well known as Chelsea from "That's So Raven". She is close to the same age as Judy Garland when the original Wizard was made. Her stage credits include Eva Peron in Evita, Laurey in Oklahoma! and she is the last actress to perform as Belle in the final Broadway production of Beauty and the Beast. I think she is one of a select few actresses who could truly do this role justice.

Louise Fletcher as Aunt Em
LouiseFletcher.jpg

You may remember Ms. Fletcher as Nurce Ratched from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. However, she's got a long, long list of roles in film and television under her belt. I consider her a natural as Aunt Em, given her age and looks and early experience in westerns (some of her first credits include appearances/roles on Bat Masterson and Wagon Train. Aunt Em is a small yet important and catalytical role in this story, and Fletcher could do a great job with it.

Ned Beatty as Uncle Henry/Emerald City Gatekeeper
nedbeatty.jpg

This is a good role for one of the hardest working men in the film industry and one of it's better, consistent character actors. Though not as "big" of a dual role as the farmhands', it is still important as it is Dorothy's lament over Aunt Em that touches the Emerald City gatekeeper enough to allow her and her friends in to see the Wizard. At his age, he looks well enough like an Uncle Henry, so for all of these reasons I choose him.

Jason Lee as Hunk/Scarecrow
jasonlee_earl.jpg

Jason Lee is one of my favorite comedic actors, and apparently a lot of other people's as well. As the lead character on My Name is Earl, he's shown that he can play quite the idiot, and well, Scarecrow is lacking in the brains department. As for the physical requirements to play a Scarecrow, I don't find that to be a HUGE issue but before he was an actor, Lee was a pro skater. Most pro skaters can do the flop and go limp almost involuntarily, so I don't think there would be a problem with the more physical aspects of the character.

Mandy Patinkin as Hickory/The Tin Woodsman
mandy.jpg

Mandy Patinkin is absolutely one of the best and most well-rounded entertainers in all of showbusiness. He's got credits on film, stage and as a musician. Based on that undeniable fact, I feel there is no better choice to play the Tin Man. Patinkin can play the man with no heart and in the blink of an eye, he can play a man so full of emotion that he's bursting at the seams. He is P-E-R-F-E-C-T for this, no question.

John Goodman as Zeke/the Cowardly Lion
goodman.jpg

John Goodman is one of my personal favorites, just check the avatar. If he was playing the conventional lion in makeup and a fur suit, he's perfect. For a real lion/CGI, his voice just fits. He can mumble and grumble with the best of them (just watch Big Lebowski or O Brother Where Art Thou) and be as silent as a church mouse. Nobody can deny his comedic skills, and he can sing quite well to boot. I chose this particular picture because I think he looks kind of timid and cowardly in it, so it kind of sends the message across. Oh, to be king.

Julie Andrews OR Katherine Heigl as Glinda the Good Witch
juliekatie.jpg

If we're going with Glinda as she was in the '39 film, then Julie Andrews is at the right age and she is qualified above and beyond pretty much any other actress you could name. Once again, she is someone with credits on film and on stage with a voice that is instantly recognizable and she brings a sense of dignity and wholesomeness to every role she plays (with the exclusion her role in the film SOB, though as I understand a lot of men were waiting for that one.) If a younger Glinda is on the menu, however, look no further than Katherine Heigl. She's hands down one of the most beautiful women anywhere and she has a soothing, down-to-earth presence. At least I think so.

Julia Roberts as Miss Gulch/The Wicked Witch of the West
juliaroberts.jpg

This role would be an incredible career move for Roberts, who doesn't have to play any particular role or type of role to validate her career. She's ranked as one of the most powerful women in the world. Why not have her play one of the most (if not THE most) powerful woman in Oz. Besides, she's never really had the chance to play a total ***** and honestly, I think that's a sad thing. With the right amount of prosthetics and makeup, I can hear her screaming "I'LL GET YOU DOROTHY GALE... AND YOUR LITTLE DOG, TOO!". I had originally chosen Tilda Swinton to play this role for various reasons, but the sheer star power of Julia Roberts combined with the high profile role of the Wicked Witch just sweetened the deal... and I'm by no means a big Julia Roberts fan.

Christopher Lloyd as Professor Marvel/The Wizard of Oz
c-lloyd.jpg

I was going to go with Bill Murray first, then Michael McKean, but when I started thinking about all of the Wizard's eccentricities, it all came down to Lloyd. Great Scott! He'd be right at home playing the man behind the curtain.

As much as I hate Julia Roberts as the Witch, your other choices are more than enough to get my vote so far(because I can't vote for my own:D). In terms of a faithful remaker, this would be great, and Patinkin as the Tin Man is a stroke of genius.

Last edited:
I thought Julia Roberts was an excellent choice.

Dorothy - Hayden Panettiere
hayden-panettiere-heroes.jpg

I don't know why, but I can just see Claire skipping down the yellow brick road...

Scarecrow - Ryan Reynolds.
ryan_reynolds_smokin_aces.jpg

Scarecrow has to be funny, and Ryan's got that one down. I think he's got the right body type for him as well.

Tin Man - Samuel L Jackson
jackson-samuel-l-photo-xl-samuel-l-.jpg

Because He will find a way into any cast I do. Just because.

OR Adrian Pasdar could do it as well, he can pull off cold really well while still having a heart under it all
Nathanpetrelli.jpg

Cowardly Lion - CGI with voice from Nathan Fillon
firefly.jpg

Come on, Nathan rocks. You don't think he could pull this off?

Glinda - Morena Baccarin
250px-Inara_Serra1.jpg

She just fits. Blonde her up if you must, but Inara as a good witch seems perfect.

Wicked Witch of the West - Juliet Landau
DRUSILLA.GIF.jpg

I didn't want to follow suit and go for the older crone type, or even too MILFish, but I think to play a darkly beautiful twisted *****, think no further than Drusilla.

The Wizard - John Cleese as the man
239576John-Cleese-Posters.jpg

The big floaty head though I know its been used but Patrick Stewart
stewart.jpg

Christopher Lloyd as Professor Marvel/The Wizard of Oz
c-lloyd.jpg

I was going to go with Bill Murray first, then Michael McKean, but when I started thinking about all of the Wizard's eccentricities, it all came down to Lloyd. Great Scott! He'd be right at home playing the man behind the curtain.

Now this is a choice I absolutely love

willverine wins so hardcore for his cast... Particularly Mandy Patinkin.

Last edited:
Dr. Strangefate has the best cast IMO, but I'll give it a spin.

Guillermo Del Toro's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Dorothy Gale - Ellen Page
Alright, I know she doesn't really fit Dorothy, but there aren't really a lot of experienced young actors/actresses out there, and Ellen Page happens to be one of the few. She looks about the right age also. I'd probably go with an unknown if Page wasn't there. Dorothy'll have a contemporary look .... keep the ruby slippers, but dress her like a modern teenager....

Scarecrow - Doug Jones
I can think of no one better to pull this off. He doesn't even need to put on make-up - he already looks like a ****ing Scarecrow (in a good way), tall and extremely thin .... His face reminds me of the original Oz Scarecrow. I think he could pull of the movements of the Scarecrow with ease .... Just get the prosthetics people from Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth.

Tin Man - Doug Jones?

Cowardly Lion - Stephen Root
Honestly, I don't really know who else to cast....everyone good has been taken.

Glinda - James McAvoy
Muahahahahahahahahahahaha

Wicked Witch of the West - Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Muahahahahahahahahahahaha

The Wizard - Judi Dench!
Muahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back