Dreamcasting: Adaptations #9 - The Wizard of Oz

You Cannot Vote For This Cast!

The premise is simple---classic tale…sans singing…add a bit o Brit.

Oz.jpg

Dorothy Emma Watson – Going for the younger, slightly cynical approach to Dorothy as opposed to the bright-eyed, naïve character we're all familiar with. Who better to embody that level of disbelief than the over-achieving Hermoine Granger from a world entrenched in magic? The irony is not lost on me.

Scarecrow Johnny Depp – The King of Quirk. Who better to play the straw-filled ragman than always-loose former Edward Scissorhands? Scarecrow is just looking for a brain----so have Johnny channel some of that "every which way but loose" level of inebriated acting of Jack Sparrow. Physical comedy a plenty. You know you love it.

Tinman Jude Law – Harkening back to his role of the detached sex-bot from "AI"…Law would be perfect to the play the charming man of steel who despite his best efforts and well meanings, doesn't really care because he doesn't have a heart.

Cowardly Lion Ricky Gervais – The bread and butter of my cast. All the main jokes and witty banter would come from the Master of Snide Backtracking Comments. I'm envisioning him much like his character from "Extras". Make a brave comment behind someone's back….then backtrack and sidestep the issue once confronted. I am in love with this choice.

Glinda The Good WitchJulia Roberts – I believe someone picked this before already…but isn't that always the case in these Dreamcasting projects? Who better to play the epitome of goodness than America's Sweetheart?

Wicked Witch of the WestSharon Stone – The former Queen B herself. I don't really have a strong reason for this choice…I just know it'll work.

The WizardRobert Duvall – I know people want this wild, kooky, omnipotent being to play the Wizard…but you have to remember that he's just a sweet old scientist who landed in Oz by accident many years ago. For this reason, I want to see Duvall play a scatterbrained old man who is just hiding behind a giant floating head in order to cover up the small statured senior scientist. The floating head would of course be CGI….voiced by Hugo Weaving.

Cowardly Lion Ricky Gervais – The bread and butter of my cast. All the main jokes and witty banter would come from the Master of Snide Backtracking Comments. I'm envisioning him much like his character from "Extras". Make a brave comment behind someone's back….then backtrack and sidestep the issue once confronted. I am in love with this choice.

This maybe my favourite pick this round if not then it's Willverine's Christopher Lloyd as the prof but either way ****ing awsome pick dude , nice job.

You Cannot Vote For This Cast!

Oz.jpg

The WizardRobert Duvall – I know people want this wild, kooky, omnipotent being to play the Wizard…but you have to remember that he's just a sweet old scientist who landed in Oz by accident many years ago. For this reason, I want to see Duvall play a scatterbrained old man who is just hiding behind a giant floating head in order to cover up the small statured senior scientist. The floating head would of course be CGI….voiced by Hugo Weaving.

Robert Duvall bears a faint resemblance to the Cowardly Lion in that pic.

He had my vote.

'Twas a damn fine cast.

There were a lot of great choices to choose from. Some....not so much. But I think people's votes will depend on what kind they'd prefer to see. Scary Creepy Oz? Disney Fantasy Oz? Weird Magical Harry Potter Realm Oz?

I'm particularly proud of myself for not using any former Whedon casting staple that these games seem so prone to do. Go me.

Latest posts

Back