Dreamcasting: The Remakes # 22: Fighting Evil By Moonlight...

ourchair

...winning love by daylight.
Never running from a real fight.
She is the one named...

SAILOR MOON

I'm not kidding.

This is Dreamcasting, and the rules of engagement are:

1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the round, and thus gets to choose the property or story in question to be adapted. Winner has the option of declaring whether this property is to be an animated film, a TV series or a live-action feature. He must also name the core characters to be cast, which should be at least 4, but no more than 9.

2) You may not use actors who have played the role before in the same medium before. Voice talents may not reprise their role, nor can film ones.

3) After ten days, the round is declared closed. People will vote via PM and send it to the moderator, who will count the votes and declare winner. Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself.

4) The winner declared gets to choose the property in the next round.

For this round, you MUST cast:

Usagi Tsukino, Sailor Moon, the whiney heroine to be.

Mamoru Chiba, The Tuxedo Mask, enigmatic source of encouragement.

Ami Mizuno, Sailor Mercury, fannish hydrokinetic with an IQ of 300.

Rei Hino, Sailor Mars, resolutely self-serious pyrokinetic.

Makoto Kino, Sailor Jupiter, nature loving tomboy with the power of electrokinesis.

Minako Aino, Sailor Venus, perky soldier of love with ambitions of fame.

Go forth and cast! You have till April 19, 2008 3PM GMT to do it!

Last edited:
And I don't even LIKE Sailor Moon.

I hope this'll encourage some of our non-Dreamcasting manga-reading demographic to participate.

Hmmm.....this'll be challenge for me just because my knowledge of young Hollywood starletts in the age limit (or that at least look like they could pass for 16-17) is limited.

I admit that I know nothing of the manga, so if I do decide to do a cast, it'll be based on the English-dubbed anime.

This of course would go back to what Houde mentioned and would exclude Neptune, Uranus and Saturn....but I would include Rini and Queen Beryl.

Well my cast will be a little older.

Maybe 20's.

She is perfect more than any other role. But than again I didn't watch Sailor Moon.

Sailor Moon X

This version of Sailor Moon takes place 10 years after the American dub ended, hence the "X" in the title. It would be a feature-length animated movie, with updated character designs, influenced more by the "Diniverse" and DCAU style, particularly JLA/JLU.

The big idea is that the core group will be voiced by actresses who first made a name for themselves during the 90s. Basically, these are older, perhaps wiser versions of the original characters, who have since moved on beyond their initial youthful exploits, so I wanted to use a cast whose professional experiences mirrored that aspect. It's sort of a Fables or American Gods approach to the Sailor Moon mythos.

Given that it's all voice acting, I won't bother including any pictures for this round.

Please note also that I will be using the American naming system, to match the continuity it's set in.

THE BASIC PLOT

It has been a decade since the core Sailor Senshi last banded together to take on the forces of the Negaverse. The Senshi are now scattered across the country, leading their own very different adult lives, having mostly lost touch with each other. They are forced to regroup when an old enemy resurfaces.

THE CAST

Serena/Sailor Moon (Sarah Michelle Gellar) and Darien/Tuxedo Mask (David Boreanaz) have long settled down into a comfy routine, unwilling to admit their relationship has lost its initial spark. Despite taking on infrequent odd jobs (substitute teacher, piano instructor), Serena has mostly resigned herself to being a stay-at-home Mom to their young daughter, Rini. (NOT the same Rini from the future; her destiny is never properly addressed). Meanwhile, Darien has been stuck in the same unforgiving middle-management position at a tech company, for the past few years, making him increasingly cynical, bitter, and withdrawn.

Of all the Senshi, Serena is the one who feels most nostalgic about her magical past, a cruel irony, in light of her initial reluctance to take on the role.

Amy/Sailor Mercury (Claire Danes) is now a well-respected scholar, articulately defending "low culture" (romance novels, video games, comics, manga, anime) from snotty detractors, having gotten over her own initial shame about pop entertainment. She is more than happy with her current life, and if she never saw another city-wrecking space creature again, it will be too soon. Happily unattached, she lives in an apartment near the university campus where she teaches, with feline pals Artemis, Luna, and their children, who never allow her to lose sight of the hero she used to be. Luna is voiced by Gillian Anderson.

Raye/Sailor Mars (Christina Ricci) has converted to Judaism, and is currently enrolled in a rabbinical studies class. She is eagerly learning about the Torah and Kaballah, in the pursuit of becoming a holy woman. Raye is in a state of denial about ever having been a Senshi, and has blown off all her former team-mates' efforts to get in touch.

Lita/Sailor Jupiter (Brittany Murphy) has settled down with her radical ecologist husband, seldom leaving the rural cabin, from which they grow organic crops, and practice sustainable farming methods. They run a business from their home, selling mail-order "herbal supplements" but it is strongly implied that this is a front for something less legitimate. They are depicted being visited by stoners from a nearby university, who remark at the quality of Lita's produce, even off season. But what exactly they're dealing is never stated outright.

Mina/Sailor Venus (Kirsten Dunst) is an over-protective, demanding stage-mother/manager to her daughter Vanessa, a successful child actress, whom Mina is grooming for eventual pop stardom. Mina is secretly resentful of her own child's success, and longs for the attention she once commanded, in her previous double-life as a Senshi.

The former Senshi must get over their differences, and save the universe one last time, when the vengeful Queen Beryl (Lucy Lawless) escapes the prison dimension in which she was trapped, at the end of the original "Dark Dimension" arc.

Dunst, Danes, Boreanaz, Anderson, and Lawless all have actual experience doing voice acting work (including English dubs of Japanese properties like Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service).

Honestly, since i'm really basing this on the events of the first arc/season/cycle, I don't feel the inclination to cast the remaining characters. If that makes my entry invalid, then so be it.

Last edited:
Sailor Moon: Retirement Era

Things have settled down in the Sailor Moon-verse, for about 60 years, THEN EVIL STRIKES AGAIN! Emerging from their retirement home, only after they took their meds, and with their life alert alarms, the Sailor Moon Team springs, well some of them limp, and a couple use a walker, and Mercury needs a wheelchair but for a concise definition, THEY SPRING INTO ACTION! They fight crime, not at night time because they can't miss Ghost Whisperer, but during the day time, but not between noon and two, that's nap time at the home they all live in now.

Playing our hero Usagi Tsukino, aka Sailor Moon, is none other than, Beatrice Arthur! In her old age, Tsukino has become more bitter at life. She's divorced her former lover Mamoru Chiba 40 years ago, but as their fate has it, they are living together under the same roof in the retirement home, Beryl's Home for the Old.

Playing Mamoru Chiba (Tuxedo Mask) will be Brian Doyle Murray, who can play the bumbling romantic easily.

Next up is the Wheelchair bound Ami Mizuno, who will be played by Betty White. Betty White will nail the part of the still shy Sailor Mercury, who, due to Alzheimer's, falls in love with a new guy everyday.

Sailor Mars, Rei Hino, is a firecracker, and still showing it in her old age. She will be played by Grumpy Old Men star, Sophia Loren. Oh yeah, she's a cougar.

Moving on, well because there are only so many old woman who likes to do younger man jokes, we have the illustrious Sailor Jupiter, the tomboy herself, Makato Kino, which will be portrayed by Vanessa Redgrave. She boasts on how she continually defeats Chiba in arm wrestling.

Next up is Sailor, wait, what planet are we on? That's right, Minako Aino, who had aspirations of fame, is so delusional in her old age that she thinks she is actually a pop star, a teenage popstar. Ann-Magaret will portray this nutcase. Her stuffed cat she believes is still her familiar Artemis.

And finally, the everpresent villain is also the owner of the Reitrement Home that the Sailor Squad finds themselves at. This person is Queen Beryl, played by Dame Judi Dench.

Last edited:
I hated Sailor Moon so I will not be doing this round. But still cool idea

My cast is done and final. I even found all the pics I'm gonna use.

Now all I gotta do is justify the actresses and group the pics.

It should be up by this weekend.

Sailor Moon: Retirement Era

Things have settled down in the Sailor Moon-verse, for about 60 years, THEN EVIL STRIKES AGAIN! Emerging from their retirement home, only after they took their meds, and with their life alert alarms, the Sailor Moon Team springs, well some of them limp, and a couple use a walker, and Mercury needs a wheelchair but for a concise definition, THEY SPRING INTO ACTION! They fight crime, not at night time because they can't miss Ghost Whisperer, but during the day time, but not between noon and two, that's nap time at the home they all live in now.

Playing our hero Usagi Tsukino, aka Sailor Moon, is none other than, Beatrice Arthur! In her old age, Tsukino has become more bitter at life. She's divorced her former lover Mamoru Chiba 40 years ago, but as their fate has it, they are living together under the same roof in the retirement home, Beryl's Home for the Old.

Playing Mamoru Chiba (Tuxedo Mask) will be Brian Doyle Murray, who can play the bumbling romantic easily.

Next up is the Wheelchair bound Ami Mizuno, who will be played by Betty White. Betty White will nail the part of the still shy Sailor Mercury, who, due to Alzheimer's, falls in love with a new guy everyday.

Sailor Mars, Rei Hino, is a firecracker, and still showing it in her old age. She will be played by Grumpy Old Men star, Sophia Loren. Oh yeah, she's a cougar.

Moving on, well because there are only so many old woman who likes to do younger man jokes, we have the illustrious Sailor Jupiter, the tomboy herself, Makato Kino, which will be portrayed by Vanessa Redgrave. She boasts on how she continually defeats Chiba in arm wrestling.

Next up is Sailor, wait, what planet are we on? That's right, Minako Aino, who had aspirations of fame, is so delusional in her old age that she thinks she is actually a pop star, a teenage popstar. Ann-Magaret will portray this nutcase. Her stuffed cat she believes is still her familiar Artemis.

And finally, the everpresent villain is also the owner of the Reitrement Home that the Sailor Squad finds themselves at. This person is Queen Beryl, played by Dame Judi Dench.

EpicWin.jpg

Latest posts

Back