DreamMovie #10 "Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You..."

I want to do this on Dean Allen Olsen.

Progress update:

Alright, things are going well. Quite well. I think this might be the best dreamMovie I've worked on yet. I was at first a little disheartened when I learned that Paul Giamatti (the obvious choice for the role) was already planning on playing Dick in a film. Then I decided, "no, wait, that's awesome" because it forced me to be creative, and I think I came up with someone who will fill the role terrifically (but I won't be spoiling that yet).

As for the rest of the cast, we're looking at a very small one as I intend this film to be both very personally about Dick, as well as told from a perspective that could have been his. I'm thinking it'll be divided into four primary segments (and two intermezzo's) that will go as such:

The Beginning. . .
Exegesis Intermezzo One: "The Empire Never Ended"
Two-Us
2-3-74
Exegesis Intermezzo Two: "The Android Cried Me A River"
Daylight

The segments will be (roughly) chronological and told in different methods. I'm shoring up the rest of the cast, as well as building up some visual cues to help visualize certain elements, and refreshing myself on a works that I intend on referencing.

One thing that I do have completely done (well, maybe 98% ;)) is the musical soundtrack, which I will be sharing as well, since it will be playing a crucial role to the film. I won't be keeping it period proper but drawing from a number of different sources.

In short, I intend on going all out for this round and really just wanted to talk about it ;). It should be fun.

Last edited:
Liam Neeson would make the perfect Abe Lincoln, but that movie's already happening. Has Morgan Freeman played Nelson Mandela in a movie yet?

Has Stephen Chow played Bruce Lee in a movie yet?

Last edited:
Has Morgan Freeman played Nelson Mandela in a movie yet?
No, but Dennis Haysbert has, opposite Robert Fiennes.

Langsta said:
Has Stephen Chow played Bruce Lee in a movie yet?
No, but he's on record for being a psychotic Bruce Lee fan (hence the yellow tracksuit from Shaolin Soccer) so he probably would first chance he gets.

No, but Dennis Haysbert has, opposite Robert Fiennes.
I know the answer to this is one IMDB/Wikipedia search away, but in what movie? And in what context? And who was Fiennes' character supposed to be?

No, but he's on record for being a psychotic Bruce Lee fan (hence the yellow tracksuit from Shaolin Soccer) so he probably would first chance he gets.
I'll probably get crucified for this, but Lee (or at least the characters he played) struck me as somebody lacking a sense of humor, and he *seems* to appeal to the same type of [strike]no nosense[/strike] no-nonsense, combat-obsessed folks, at least in the "Western world".

So I'm honestly kinda surprised that somebody as entertaining and goofy as Chow would be a huge Bruce Lee fan. But then again, he's from Hong Kong, where people (quite understandably) regard Lee as a kind of home-town hero.

Still, I can't imagine him doing a much worse job at playing Lee than Jason Scott Lee in the biopic from the mid 90s.

I know the answer to this is one IMDB/Wikipedia search away, but in what movie? And in what context? And who was Fiennes' character supposed to be?
Goodbye Bafana. Do a search on that.

compound said:
I'll probably get crucified for this, but Lee (or at least the characters he played) struck me as somebody lacking a sense of humor, and he *seems* to appeal to the same type of [strike]no nosense[/strike] no-nonsense, combat-obsessed folks, at least in the "Western world".

So I'm honestly kinda surprised that somebody as entertaining and goofy as Chow would be a huge Bruce Lee fan. But then again, he's from Hong Kong, where people (quite understandably) regard Lee as a kind of home-town hero.
I doubt anyone would crucify you for that opinion. It's been noted by those acquainted with Lee, that he DID have a sense of humor, but it's unsurprisingly not manifest in any form, since after all public tomfoolery wasn't ubiquitous and the self-deprecating interview and/or DVD commentary didn't exist during Bruce Lee's time.

Regardless, I'm sure Chow as Lee would play the role the respectfully jokey way. Comedians sometimes make better dramatists than career dramatists themselves.

Goodbye Bafana
I doubt anyone would crucify you for that opinion. It's been noted by those acquainted with Lee, that he DID have a sense of humor, but it's unsurprisingly not manifest in any form, since after all public tomfoolery wasn't ubiquitous and the self-deprecating interview and/or DVD commentary didn't exist during Bruce Lee's time.
The expected crucifixion wasn't because of my observation about Lee himself, but his US/Europe fans. I have no doubt their ranks include many light-hearted, or otherwise well-balanced people. But there *does* seem to be a persistent cliche (perhaps deservedly so) that it's the mullet-haired mooks-who-swing-practice-nunchucks-in-the-schoolyard-and-befriend-lonely-war-vets-to-hear-them-share-horrific-memories types who make up Lee's fanbase, in those countries. That, or skull-****ers. [/relatively off-topic]

Last edited:
But there *does* seem to be a persistent cliche (perhaps deservedly so) that it's the mullet-haired mooks-who-swing-practice-nunchucks-in-the-schoolyard-and-befriend-lonely-war-vets-to-hear-them-share-horrific-memories types who make up Lee's fanbase, in those countries. That, or skull-****ers. [/relatively off-topic]
Stop talking about Wade Wilson like that, compound!

Freddie Mercury – Joseph Fiennes
Brian May – Rhys Ifans
I find this casting somewhat odd, because Ifans decidedly has a reputation for over-the-top, scenery-chewing performances (like in Little Nicky, from which that still was taken), while Fiennes has a track record for playing charming dreamers (Shakespeare in Love) and sociopaths (Running With Scissors).

Meanwhile, by all accounts, Mercury was the more flamboyant drama king (both in terms of stage persona AND real life), while May was the (literal) straight man, who eventually went on to a successful post-music-biz academic career.

That makes the casting feel a bit off. I'm not disputing that either actor could play the roles competently and entertainingly; they just don't strike me as obvious choices.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back