DreamMovie #10 "Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You..."

I know the answer to this is one IMDB/Wikipedia search away, but in what movie? And in what context? And who was Fiennes' character supposed to be?

I'll probably get crucified for this, but Lee (or at least the characters he played) struck me as somebody lacking a sense of humor, and he *seems* to appeal to the same type of [strike]no nosense[/strike] no-nonsense, combat-obsessed folks, at least in the "Western world".

So I'm honestly kinda surprised that somebody as entertaining and goofy as Chow would be a huge Bruce Lee fan. But then again, he's from Hong Kong, where people (quite understandably) regard Lee as a kind of home-town hero.

Still, I can't imagine him doing a much worse job at playing Lee than Jason Scott Lee in the biopic from the mid 90s.

:lol:

I find this casting somewhat odd, because Ifans decidedly has a reputation for over-the-top, scenery-chewing performances (like in Little Nicky, from which that still was taken), while Fiennes has a track record for playing charming dreamers (Shakespeare in Love) and sociopaths (Running With Scissors).

Meanwhile, by all accounts, Mercury was the more flamboyant drama king (both in terms of stage persona AND real life), while May was the (literal) straight man, who eventually went on to a successful post-music-biz academic career.

That makes the casting feel a bit off. I'm not disputing that either actor could play the roles competently and entertainingly; they just don't strike me as obvious choices.

That's cool dude. The choices may of been off.

QUESTION: When does this round end?

I hope it's open until next week. I won't be able to finish mine until then.

I don't know if I'll do it, but I want to do The Adventures of Dean Allen Olson.

220px-RainnwilsonOct07.jpg

Rainn Wilson as Dean

WOW.

can you PM it to me? I find myself interested in this very much.

And you don't have to worry about me stealing or sharing it. That's not my thing, and I don't know anyone anyways who would want to go into film.

And moony, post your darn movie!

And moony, post your darn movie!
Don't rush me.

I've got most of the graphics done and I'm writing the "story". (More of a career overview really.) I'm having a hard time with the casting, though. Basically, casting real people is pretty hard.

DayInTheLifePoster.jpg

DayInTheLifeBeatlesCast1.jpg

DayInTheLifeSupportingCast.jpg

DayInTheLiferefhamburg.jpg

The Beatles perform their first show under the name at the Indra Club in Hamburg, Germany. Over the following months, they play a series of grueling gigs at various spots in Hamburg. In December George is deported because of his age and Paul McCartney and Pete Best are kicked out of the country for pinning a condom to a wall and lighting it on fire. The band heads back to Liverpool.

The next year, they return to Hamburg and begin playing as Tony Sheridan's backing band. Meanwhile, The Beatles appearance in "Mersey Beat" magazine catches the eye of Brian Epstien, who is working at one of his family's music stores in London, after having tried and failed at many careers. He goes to see them at the Cavern Club on several occasions and finally offers to manage them in December. He immediately begins reforming the band's wild and unkempt image, while trying endlessly to land them a record contract.

At the beginning of another stay in Hamburg, the group is informed of Stuart Sutcliffe's death from a brain hemorrhage. After being rejected countless times, they finally sign a deal with small EMI label Parlophone. Producer George Martin suggests that they fire Pete Best, perceived as the weakest part of the band. The group asks Rory Storm and the Hurricanes drummer Ringo Starr to join the band and he accepts.

John's girlfriend, Cynthia, learns she is pregnant. Though Lennon has abused her in the past and their relationship is far from perfect, they decide to marry. The marriage is kept a secret from the public. Paul intends to marry his girlfriend, also pregnant, in the summer, but she miscarries and their relationship falls apart.

DayInTheLiferefwiththebeatles.jpg

In Manchester, the Beatles make their first television appearance and in several months time they release their first album, Please Please Me. The album is an immediate success and The Beatles quickly garner a horde of teenage fans. The Beatles are not exported to America until December of 1963, where fame comes just as quickly as it did in the U.K. In February of 1964, they travel to the United States as a group for the first time.

DayInTheLiferefHelp.jpg

The Beatles arrive in New York to massive fanfare. Two days later, they perform on the Ed Sullivan Show and two days after that, they perform their first American concert. Though they are welcomed by young fans, the media is quick to dismiss them as a fad. In August of that year, journalist Al Aronowitz introduces the Beatles to Bob Dylan, and Dylan introduces the Beatles to marijuana. The band stars in two successful films, "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help!". Ringo gets married and begins a family in 1965, once again to the dismay of Brian Epstein. George is married in early '66.

The Beatles tour the rest of the world and continue to record, culminating in a concert for over 55,000 people in New York and the release of Rubber Soul at the end of 1965. For the first time, the group is given total creative control over their music and the result is a massive advancement in the band's maturity and talent.

With fame comes trouble, particularly for John. Trapped in an unhappy marriage, he becomes depressed and puts on weight. In 1966, he causes a huge backlash when he criticizes Christianity. He later apologizes.

DayInTheLiferefGettingBetter.jpg

The highly ambitious Revolver is released in August of 1966. That same month, The Beatles perform their last real concert at Candlestick Park in San Francisco and resolve to focus their efforts solely on recording. Meanwhile, John meets Yoko Ono at the Indica Gallery in London.

The Beatles start recording their next album that same year. Paul meets photographer Linda Eastman in May of 1967. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is released to once again excellent reviews that summer and The Beatles perform "All You Need Is Love" via satellite in front of 400 million viewers.

DayInTheLiferefTheEnd.jpg

Brian is found dead in his apartment after accidentally overdosing on prescription drugs. The band is in shock. Their UK TV special later that year is a disaster and the group heads to India to study meditation.

They begin recording their self-titled album (The White Album) in the summer of 1968. The sessions are fraught with tension, with pressures relating to personal and business issues keeping everyone on edge. Ringo walks out on the band briefly in August, during the recording of "Back In the USSR".

John begins a musical and romantic relationship with Yoko Ono, openly cheating on Cynthia. When she learns of this, she files for divorce. Yoko's constant presence during the recording of The White Album is another source of problems. Another problem is the rest of the band's refusal to acknowledge George as a serious songwriter.

The White Album is released in November. The album's style clearly reflects how disjointed the band has become. On the first day of 1969, The Beatles begin recording their next album while being followed by a film crew for what would later become "Let It Be". The tension from the recording of The White Album continues on and George leaves the band for a week in January. The group famously performs on the roof of the Apple Building at the end of the month.

Paul and John both get married to their respective girlfriends in March. John focuses even more on recording with Yoko. Though it would later be salvaged by Phil Spector and released as Let It Be, The Beatles abandon the January sessions and pull together once more, at this point knowing that they're about to break up.

They spend the summer of 1969 recording Abbey Road. While recording "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" in August, The Beatles work together in the studio for the last time ever as a complete group.

Some notes: I envision "A Day In the Life" as being done in a sort of documentary style. Yes, I know it's overused nowadays and yes, I know it would look a lot like "Let It Be" but I think that with all the sentimentality attached to The Beatles, a biopic could very easily become very corny. I want a fly on the wall perspective in order to portray things objectively and let the natural drama come out.

The film would only cover the events detailed and would ignore everything past when The Beatles stopped recording with each other. That's a story for somewhere else.

Thank you to marvelman for his brilliant casting. I love having mostly actual musicians in the roles, even though I would prefer to use as much of the original music as possible. (As opposed to people trying to do imitations.) The supporting cast was not easy to put together, but I'm happy with what I've got. The only choice that I feel I need to explain is Bai Ling: Unfortunately, other than what's-her-face from Grey's Anatomy, Hollywood doesn't seem to care for any Asian woman who doesn't look like a supermodel or a cute schoolgirl. Bai Ling may not strike you as an obvious choice for Yoko Ono, but I think she has similar features and would just have to go all Charlize Theron in "Monster" on it and "ugly" herself up a bit.

Last edited:
I was going to put in an entry for a biopic of Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, but for one, I can't find any good pictures of the two to base my casting decisions on, and two, I think Moony's pretty much got this one in the bag.

i'm not sure if i gave you george martin or not, but bill nighy is PERFECT. SERIOUSLY.

wow.

also, dude. sufjan as sutcliffe woulda been awesome, but i can't fault you too much with your choice.

good job though. your epstein is perfect too.

also, john was the oldest (before ringo came), and i'm pretty sure, as a result, it was George who was deported, as he was youngest... but i might be wrong.

Last edited:
i'm not sure if i gave you george martin or not, but bill nighy is PERFECT. SERIOUSLY.

wow.
I think you suggested Michael Cain.
also, john was the oldest (before ringo came), and i'm pretty sure, as a result, it was George who was deported, as he was youngest... but i might be wrong.
You're right. Fixed.

So . . . When is this supposed to end?

Latest posts

Back