DreamMOVIE #3: In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream... (Ends 15th Dec)

Just to ask, what are the rules? Do I simply have to provide a title, cast and synopsis for my film idea? I suppose I could look this up but. . . I'm lazy ;). Anyways, if that's all, I should have my entry posted in a day or two.

Just to ask, what are the rules? Do I simply have to provide a title, cast and synopsis for my film idea? I suppose I could look this up but. . . I'm lazy ;). Anyways, if that's all, I should have my entry posted in a day or two.

Pretty much.

I'm looking forward to Moony's movie. I hope he has designs again.

Without further ado, my pitch for "ALIEN: INFESTATION".

And yes, it took me ****ing forever to write this.​

A spacecraft lands on a quiet space station and a lone woman exits. The space station is like a sort of interstellar truckstop. The woman makes her way to a small diner located on the station. There she finds 3 or 4 scattered customers and a bored looking waitress. She sits down and orders something to drink. The woman says that she woke up from hypersleep nearly a month ago and this is the first time she's seen another living soul since. The other two people on her ship died in a fire while they were in stasis.

[IMGL]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/moonmaster/ALIENSV-Ripley.jpg[/IMGL]Her name is Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver, Alien, Aliens, etc.), she says.

The waitress asks her cautiously how long she's been asleep. 150 years, she estimates. The waitress seems a bit startled. Ripley asks her what's wrong. The waitress tells her she's missed a lot while she was out. Like what, Ripley asks.

30 years ago, there was a disaster. Something terrible happened on Earth. All communication lines went down within a year. The United American government - or what vestiges were left of it - quarantined the entire solar system and refused to explain what had occurred. Since then, the various Earth governments that have tried to exist in some way in space have begun to dissolve and the economy has all but collapsed. The population of human beings in the galaxy has sunk below a million.

Leaving the diner, Ripley suddenly realizes - not morbidly, put practically - that she has nothing to live for. Considering what her next move should be, she receives a distress signal from a planet at the edge of the galaxy...

ALIENSV-POSTERFINAL.jpg

The planet is dead, abandoned and decrepit. Ripley lands in the planet's largest city and explores. There are no signs of life. She tracks the signal to a transmitter deep underground. She discovers a sort of bomb shelter and enters it with great difficulty. Through a maze of tunnels she discovers facilities fit for an entire underground community numbering perhaps a few hundred. She discovers a skeleton lying in a hall, and everything becomes apparent to her.

It's the same species as the pilot whose ship the xenomorphs first came from. Ripley becomes nervous and alert. She finds a computer room with a telepathically operated interface. Information floods in at her.

The aliens engineered the xenomorphs as a self-replicating, planet-destroying weapon. When the xenomorphs got out of hand, they wiped out the aliens and began sending queens to other areas of the galaxy. The surviving aliens waited for death underground and put out a signal prompting those of other planets to transmit back what they've learned about the xenomorphs and their experiences with them. What these transmissions turned into was a massive chronicle of the deaths of hundreds of civilizations. Ripley reluctantly searches and finds a file on Earth. The file begins 30 years ago...

..........​

[IMGL]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/moonmaster/ALIENSV-Julia.jpg[/IMGL][IMGL]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/moonmaster/ALIENSV-Grant.jpg[/IMGL]Enter Julia and Grant. Julia (Marley Shelton, Planet Terror) is a writer and is known for being impressively confident. Contrasting her headstrong personality, her boyfriend Grant (Casey Affleck, Ocean's Eleven, The Assassination of Jesse James) is an extraterrestrial biologist (a relatively new field of science) filled with head-in-the-clouds aloofness. Grant has been working at a lab on Mars for months but his project is about to be dispersed to several Earth labs and he's going to take the next month off. Before he goes back to Earth with Julia, he explains that he's been researching a series of large pods that were discovered on Pluto several months back. The pods appear to be organic, but they haven't been able to open them yet.

On Earth, Julia and Grant stay with Julia's parents on their farm in Wisconsin. In the picturesque setting, Grant considers proposing to Julia. But soon, his thoughts are sidetracked by other things. There's an accident at one of the labs where the pods were sent, in Philadelphia. The goverment quarantines the lab and refuses to say what occured, but soon reports come flooding in of entire towns being sieged by mysterious creatures. Grant recognizes the reports as the beginnings of all the doomsday invasion scenarios that he and his colleagues had theorized about. He urges Julia that they need to get off-world as soon as possible. Despite her protests, Julia's parents decide to stay behind. Grant and Julia get in their car and head to Chicago, where there's a large space port that they hope is still operating.

Along the way, they pick up a hitchiker named Rob. Rob is heading to Chicago as well, and needs a ride. He seems to be ill, and recounts having been attacked in his sleep by some strange animal that attached itself to his face. By the time they reach Chicago, he's in agony.

[IMGL]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/moonmaster/ALIENSV-Stan.jpg[/IMGL]Determining that the first hospital they find is too overcrowded and dangerous, they head off in search of help, but are sidetracked when a weary, scared looking middle-age man hijacks their car. His name is Stan (Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Capote, Mission: Impossible III), as we'll soon find out. They refuse to give up the car and he doesn't intend to actually shoot them, so he tells them that he's going to leave the city and then he's going to give them back the car. Suddenly, something wet and alive bursts from Rob's chest. Julia manages to toss it out the window, but the event causes Stan to go into mild shock and suddenly he can no longer drive. At that moment, they are greeted with a horrifying sight: a mass of perhaps 50 black shapes charging towards them from two blocks away. Stan is too shaken to move, so Grant puts the car in reverse and start speeding backwards. One of the black shapes breaks from the pack and catches up with the car, chasing it down the street. Stan comes to his sense and attempts to escape the monster. But it bounds onto their car begins tearing at the roof. Stan loses control and slams the car into a wall. Grant passes out momentarily but wakes up in time to see the creature pulling Julia's lifeless body from backseat and dragging it into the shadows.

Stan and Grant pull themselves from the wreckage. Grant turns in the direction Julia was taken but it's clear that it's too late. Grant blames Stan for what's happened and a fight ensues. As Grant wrestles Stan's gun away and points it at him, a woman screams at them.

[IMGL]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/moonmaster/ALIENSV-Robin.jpg[/IMGL]She's a police officer named Robin Smith (Rosario Dawson, Sin City, Clerks II). She arrests Stan and Grant, but when she radios for someone, she gets no reply. It's clear that things are falling apart and the creatures that attacked earlier are now closing in again. Robin puts Stan and Grant in her police cruiser and speeds off.

The three get out of the city and find refuge. Robin lets Stan and Grant go, proclaiming that - as far as she's concerned - the Chicago Police Department is officially disbanded. They introduce each other and explain their stories. Stan's wife and son had been killed that morning and he'd been in a daze until the car crash. Robin explains how the aliens had swarmed the city, how they'd knocked out communication hubs in a frighteningly organized manner, destroyed the space port. They'd also killed her partner. Robin says thta she'd heard the space port in New York City is still operating. They resolve to begin heading East the next morning.

They spend the next few days driving and forming a sort of desperate friendship. They encounter more aliens, but there doesn't appear to be any way to fight them. They hear infrequent reports of communication lines being knocked out. The aliens are somehow ravaging several continents at once and they've spread across most of America.

The trio reaches Philadelphia and finds a ghost town of abandoned car and dead bodies. Grant takes the group on a detour to a lab where he'd once worked. This is also where one of the Pluto pods was shipped. At the lab they encounter a lone alien and manage to trap and kill it, suddenly gaining new confidence that they're not as invincible as they'd assumed.

[IMGL]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/moonmaster/ALIENSV-DrLaurence.jpg[/IMGL]They discover one survivor: A scientist named Dr. Laurence (David Bowie, The Prestige), who had been a mentor to Grant. Dr. Laurence tells of how the pod arrived and they promptly used their equipment to break it open. What they found inside was what they soon learned to be an alien queen. They thought they could contain it, but it escaped and rampaged through the lab, breeding the first new generation of aliens. They attempted to quarantine the lab but the aliens became too numerous to contain. This was ground zero for the invasion. The other pods opened on different continents due to the same misjudgments. Dr. Laurence tells them that he thinks the queens must be killed, but the Philadelphia queen was moved by her offspring East. Dr. Laurence tells them how the invasion is all his fault and before they can stop him, she pulls out a gun and shoots himself.

Leaving the lab, the group is ambushed and are too outnumbered to fight back. They escape, but Robin appears to be injured. Trying to tend to her injuries, Stan and Grant learn that Robin is in fact an android. Much like Call from Alien: Resurrection, she's kept this a secret, mainly due to prejudices against androids in society. Grant and Stan are mildly disturbed by this revelation but they decide to treat Robin no differently before. It's also at this point that Grant begins to acknowledge an attraction between he and Robin.

They have several more small misadventures on their way to New York and stop over in a small town a day or two from the city. While staying in town, they slowly learn that the town is ruled by a radical group that believe the invasion is punishment from god for the "unholy" acceptance of androids into human society. With this new knowledge in mind, the group tries to leave town quietly in the middle of the night but are accosted by a band of locals who quickly realize that Robin is an android. They capture Grant and Stan and throw Robin into a pit with one of the aliens. The guys escape and rescue Robin, but Stan is lost and presumably killed in the ensuing chaos.

Grant and Robin move at breakneck speed to New York City. There they find even more anarchy than in Chicago. The city is a war zone - literally - with tanks battling masses of aliens in the streets. They weave through the treacherous maze of gunfire and explosions until they get to the space port...only to find it closed. However, it's rumored that there are still operational ships, they're just being given to CEOs and politicians and other "important" people. Grant and Robin sneak in and try to steal a ship, but the facility is attacked by none other than the queen herself. Taking up abandoned military arms, they fight the approaching army of aliens, but they can't be held back long enough to board the ship. That's when Stan - Mr. Deus Ex Machina - appears, alive and well, having escaped the mob on his own accord. Together, they manage to kill the queen, but Stan tells Grant and Robin to board the ship without him, while he holds off the rest of the aliens. They board the ship and take off, knowing that they are most likely leaving Stan to die.

Leaving Earth, they contemplate the future. It's likely that the invasion will spread to other colonized planets, that it won't be stopped. At the end of mankind, Grant and Robin hold each other and feel grateful that they have someone to love.

..........​

Ripley finishes reading the last of the files and for the first time in a long time, breaks into tears. This has to end, she thinks. At that point, she discovers the last bit of information cataloged by the species that birthed the xenomorphs. It lists coordinates and vague notes about the "Mother Queen" and how she "is the source of them all". Ripley gleans enough from this information to know what she must do.

She follows the coordinates to a deep cave on the other side of the planet. At the bottom of a long series of tunnels there is a chamber, dark and huge. And in it is something old and massive and alive. The Mother Queen. The originator of the species, that still produces queens and sends them into space in pods. But it has an even larger function.

In small numbers, the xenomorphs operate like simple predators. In larger numbers, they operate as they're supposed to: in a carefully orchestrated, strategical pattern. The xenomorph species can be thought of as one organism, and the Mother Queen is it's brain, beaming signals to individual parts via a telepathic nervous system. After having seen the Mother Queen for herself, enormous and slug-like, Ripley boards her ship once more and takes off into space. Just above the planet's atmosphere, she opens the protective capsule around her ship's volatile nuclear engine. She targets the cave and points the nose of her ship in it's direction. Closing her eyes, she drives the ship straight into it, and everything is consumed in a massive mushroom cloud.

..........​

A wheatfield sits beneath the moon and the starry sky, quiet and empty. Something black and ominous moves through it, sleekly and slowly at first. But it begins to run and then to jerk itself wildly through the air. Shaking and foaming at the mouth, it falls to the ground and spasms until it's body slows and stills.

In the middle of the field it lies, brain dead and comatose.

END.

Some thoughts and notes about this:

First of all, this obviously ignores the third and fourth movies. I expect Ourchair will disapprove, but it was necessary for the purposes of the story. I didn't want Alien: Resurrection Super-Ripley and I wanted a decimated Earth, unlike the one portrayed at the end of that film. So think of this as a redux of Alien 3.

The basic concepts are an amalgam of the original "Aliens on Earth" proposal for Aliens 3 and the "Alien Homeworld" idea pitched by Ridley Scott and James Cameron for Alien 5. The movie is heavily influenced by one of my favorite genres, the apocalyptic survivor film. In fact, I'd say the main plot comes close to being a rip-off to 28 Days Later, though I think it was more subconscious than intentional.

The movie quite intentionally ignores the questions about the technological wonders of the future, because that's never been what the Alien movies have been about. I envision the cities having a stripped-down, toned-down Blade Runner style, and most familiar aspects of culture to pretty much intact.

As for the casting, it was extremely difficult. Casting original characters is infinitely harder than casting someone else's. I'm pretty proud of what I came up with, though I'd wonder if the actors I chose (who are all quite different) would have any real chemistry on screen.

And that's about all I have to say. This was the most thought I've put into a Dreamcasting/Dreammovie thing before, and I think it paid off.

Now go and vote for me before I pour my acid blood on you.

That was good moonmaster , Except Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley means it's against the rules (I only know because I asked first page and was told normal rules apply) So you might want change the actress

But besides that dude it is a great pitch

Not in dreammovie.

His cast is not based off her.

She's just part of it.

You can have her but he still built an entire plot and supporting cast.

Yeah, I'm not changing Sigourney Weaver out.

Mine's not a remake or anything, it's a sequel. Replacing the actor who's played the role for nearly 3 decades would be asinine.

Besides, I believe it's been said in past Dreamcasting rounds that exceptions to that particular rule can be made when you're talking about one or two actors.

Other than the Ripley thing, does anyone else have any comments?

Some thoughts and notes about this:

First of all, this obviously ignores the third and fourth movies. I expect Ourchair will disapprove, but it was necessary for the purposes of the story. I didn't want Alien: Resurrection Super-Ripley and I wanted a decimated Earth, unlike the one portrayed at the end of that film. So think of this as a redux of Alien 3.
I haven't gotten around to reading the whole thing yet, but I most definitely will, as the first few paragraphs have got me excited already. However, I am getting ready for a job interview.

That said, I absolutely do not disapprove. I may defend Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection, but only because I hate the haters. But that doesn't mean I'm not flexible about altering 'continuity' or whatever you call it. There are, after all, a series of well-loved Alien novels (Earth Hive, Female War, etc.) that are in a strange place of being canonical, AND non-canonical.

*excited*

Ok, so you're going to have to forgive me on this, I've been trying to get a detailed story outline done, but the only thing I've really got completed are a beginning and ending with all the middle bits still a muddle. So, I'm going to lay out my title, my cast, the beginning, all the pertinent information and events of the middle, and then the ending followed by my thoughts on the film. Ok, here goes.

LULLABY​

tagline #1
"For the disease to be treated, there must always be martyr's to the infection. . ."​

tagline #2
Even in the Abyss, there are Angels. . .

The Beginning. . .
The screen is black and there are voices.

"Are we going to sleep all the way home?"

"All the way home."

"Can I dream?"

"Yes, honey. . ."

In space, there is only the silence of the dark; a silence that is broken by the creeping shape of harsh blades and plasma engines dust-blue flames. The Sulaco. A comet of flames jets out from its side, once, then again, then again, and from its belly small piece dislodges and begins to fall towards the brown haze of an uninviting planet.

What begins to follow are scenes that are very familiar to us, that we have seen before. Experienced with Ellen Ripley. Being stranded on a prison world. The nightmare in new form and the hell of feeling it growing inside you. The fire that takes you to a glaring white before a sticky rebirth in a different form. But something is not right. These scenes are familiar to us, but they are not the same. Because the subject is not Ellen Ripley. It is a blond child with frightened eyes. Rebecca Jordan. NEWT.

The scenes occur. They end. They repeat. The child grows. The scenes stay the same. Sound begins to fade into static as the false melts away and we are slowly pulled to the real, a nightmare no better. A lab, bright and sterile in which three people lay on tables, eyes taped shut, electrodes and needles and wires and tubes protruding from all parts of their body. Around them people in white lab coats or jumpsuits move about, taking notes, monitoring equipment and the static forms into the sound of their bustle. On screens above the tables, the same scenes we have seen before are repeating over and over, each person the subject of their own nightmare. NEWT, HICKS, and RIPLEY.

It is Ripley who begins to convulse first. Above her, the screen begins to fluctuate and flicker and the scenes begin to change. She no longer plays by the scenarios, she simply screams. People panic. Emergency procedures are implemented.

"--going into cardiac arrest! Thirty CC's of--"
"--alpha patterns are spiking drastically, synaptivity is going haywire! Feedba--"
"--lining! She's flat-lining! damn--"

Next comes Hicks. Other scramble to help him, while on the screen above his head he is spraying everything madly with a pulse rifle. There are screams and commands and, above it all, the steady whine of a cardiac monitor hitting zero as the camera slowly zooms in on Rebecca, lying still and calm, and the whine of the cardiac monitor once more becomes static as the screen dissolves to dark and a single word appears--

LULLABY

--and from the static, the song "Lullaby" by The Cure begins to play.

We are taken on a tour; a tour of hell. Earth glows pristine and almost translucent in space, but in mixed into its blues and greens there are spots, a black tarnish that speaks of cancer soon revealing themselves to be cities. Not thriving cities vibrant with people and light, but desolation. Ruins. In the twilit streets a cold breeze blows rubbish and there is the sense of a fall from grace as the song continues to play. Gradually, the reason begins to present itself, first in littered skeletons with burst chest bones then in strange organic shapes and structures that are not native to this world until, finally, in the long dark halls of a library we see it. The luster of slime, the twitch of movement slowly resolving into a long, barbed tail, glinting fangs, and the jaws of a thing that should not be. . .

The song ends.

Ok, now on to the people.

The Cast

EVA GREEN as REBECCA JORDAN - Newt from Aliens, now fully grown and completely lost in the world. But wait, didn't she die in the third film? Things aren't always what they seem. We find her wandering the ruins of Boston clutching a stuffed rabbit where many things about her and her situation do not seem to add up. Eventually she meets Daniel Ripp and Michael Remar, becoming especially attached to Daniel, calling him "Ripley" and traveling with his group. Strangely, the aliens will not harm her, in fact they almost seem to defer to her, a fact she cannot account for. . .

CHARLIE DAY as DANIEL RIPP - A member of the Abbadon Righteous in Iceland, Daniel is a fervent believer in the tenets of his religion and has a hatred for the Xenomorph that is practically unrivaled. It would seem that Daniel (along with Michael Remar) was orphaned when the Incident spread to Boston 12 years ago, and they were taken in and raised by Aleister Quist, leaving him only with vague and ethereal memories of his beautiful mother (who always sang him to sleep) being torn to shreds by an Alien horror. Together with Remar, he takes command of the Righteous and manages to solicit a radical new gene therapy from the Shirab labs in Reykjyavik that gives them abilities similar to the Aliens. They then set out to destroy the Northeastern Hive, located on Breed's Hill in Boston. Like all members of the Faithful, who believe they were spared intentionally, he bears a strange mark on his forehead. A light scar that resembles an asterisk with the vertical and horizontal lines elongated to form a cross, dotted at all eight points. The Mark of the Faith. . .

WILL ARNETT as MICHAEL REMAR - Another survivor and member of the Abbadon Righteous. He was taken in by Quist along with Daniel, and is the one person who's hatred of the Xenomorh's seems to be on the same level. He also has memories of his little sister, who he found cocooned (along with her stuffed rabbit) and was unable to free. He is the co-leader of the Faithful's assault, with the more quiet and reserved Daniel acting as the brains and coordinator, and the more charismatic Michael acting as the rallying general. He too bears the Mark of the Faith. . .

JEFFERY COMBS as DOCTOR VICTOR EASTON - the head scientist at the Shirab Reykjavik research station in Iceland. Easton was a former Weyland-Yutani scientist and now employed by Shirab in anti-xenomorph research. He is responsible for several developments including anti-acid coating for armor, and is in the process of developing a genetic alteration technique. The process would endow humans with several xenomorph characteristics, including enhanced strength, speed, senses, and acid resistance. Physical alterations include the development of metallic claws and teeth, deathly pale skin and black eyes (they'd look like kinda like 30 DAYS OF NIGHT vampires). Because the process is incomplete and Xenomorph biology is so different, it also causes extreme rage and eventual insanity, with the test subjects tearing out their eyes and going completely animalistic in the final stages. Easton might be lumped into your traditional mad scientist stereotype if not for the nagging feeling that underneath the cold, man of science exterior there actually WAS a conscious.

DANIEL DAY-LEWIS as ALEISTER QUIST - Aleister Quist is, to say the very least, a mystery. He is the leader of an Icelandic community of survivors and the founder of the Abbadon Righteous. He is charismatic and shows signs of both formidable intellect and cunning. He took in both Daniel and Michael, seeming to save them from the hellstorm of the Boston Evacuation, and Daniel's hazy memories seem to reflect Aleister in Catholic priest robes. Much beyond this though, nothing is known, with him preaching a religion that the time has come for the chosen of God to rise up and overthrow the demons that have taken the Earth. . .

THOMAS JANE as COLONEL CONNOR HAWKINGS - A private forces specialist and ex-special operator in the Colonial Marines. Hawkings leads an elite troop that is under Shirab contract and in charge of exterminating hives. Our main contact with him throughout the film is minimal, seeing him in training simulations with his men, and in meetings with Isham. He and his crew are stationed at the Reykjavik research base where they seem to make sorties from. Hawkings is a cold and hard man, maybe closer in temperament to the xenomorphs than he would like to be. . .

GAVIN ROSSDALE as MANDRAKE ISHAM - a native of Earth who wants his home back and has the power and resources to try and make that wish come true. He is the owner and head of Shirab Corporations, a mega-corporation that has taken over the former Weyland-Yutani and has its fingers in all manner of soups. Isham sees the xenomorphs as nothing more than and infection on his planet that must be treated. However, despite his vast resources, the full task of taking the planet back would require government and military backing which he attempts to win daily. . .

BILL PAXTON as REPRESENTATIVE HAL OLIVER - A Representative to the I.C.H.W. (Interstellar Community of Human Worlds) and one of Isham's main opponents. Oliver was not born on Earth. In fact, he is a third generation colonist representing the Jupiter Moons. He believes Man's time and place on Earth has past and that attempting to retake it is a futile waste of resources that should be funneled into new colonization and helping those without homes (such as Earth refugees) build new ones. He is not without a large body of support, with evidence that both the ecology of the planet has already made great adaptations to the xenomorph presence, and that there are signs the xenomorphs could be developing an intelligence of their own. . .

SARAH CHALKE as MS. KENDALL - a smaller role, Kendall is Isham's right hand, his personal assistant who handles all matters for him. There are indications she might be an android but, like Bishop, one that is more human than most real people. . .

LANCE HENRIKSEN as BISHOP - shown only briefly in a few flashbacks. However, Newt calls her rabbit Bishop, and there are signs that he might have found a different place to live. . .

SIGOURNEY WEAVER as ELLEN RIPLEY - a brief cameo that reveals what happened to Ripley after Aliens. She does play a role in the story, although indirectly. . .

MICHAEL BIEHN as CORPORAL DWAYNE HICKSlike Ripley, his role is only a cameo to show what happened to him. He also plays a role in the story that is indirect.

(no images for the last three, they're minor roles and you know what they look like)

THE ALIENS as THE ALIENS - For twelve years the Xenomorphs that we originally encountered on the Nostromo have made residence on Earth, becoming the dominant lifeform in absence of humanity. Because of this, we see that perhaps the Alien is not as destructive as once thought, having already began to intergrate into the ecosystem and find its niche at record pace. They are also showing some signs that they could be beyond simple animals and have the capability for intelligence.

Ok, there's the cast. Some of the general situation has probably sunk in. Earth has been infested for around twelve years at the start of our story. Weyland-Yutani is no more, Shirab has taken over all its assets. The Interstellar Community at large is rather indifferent to Earth, believing that a hands-off approach to the Alien presence is best, both because of the dangers of the creature, and the possibility that they could be a developing intelligence.

The main mode of the story will be told in several threads that follow the plotlines and are shot in different ways. Isham, Oliver, and Kendall's battles and the wider aspects of the Earth Infection take place mainly in the halls of the I.C.H.W., and so they are shot in a very documentary way, lots of faux-news footage and clips.

Newt's story as she wanders ther ruins and eventually meets up with the Righteous is told in a very surreal manner that evokes insanity, with warped perspectives, whispered voices, sudden flashbacks and hallucinations, and jumpy editing. Despite being in her thirties, Newt still seems very young and innocent. She talks regularly with her rabbit that she calls Bishop. Through her eyes, we see how the Alien is adapting to Earth and vice-versa, as well as possible signs of its intelligence.

The story of the Righteous is one that evokes Brechtian techniques and subversive cinema such as subliminal and manipulative imagery, music, drug use, sex, expressionistic scenery and lighting, wild camera movements and angles, and lots of shots of the character's eyes that progressively lose their sanity. The overall feeling is one that is incredibly disturbing. Through them, we see the human side to living on Earth, and the drastic changes the event has caused.

A few scenes show Hawkings and his men training. Shot in a very Paul Greengrass "Bourne" action style. They utilize a holographic training center, with their armor providing them with a full-body VR emulator.

Easton's scenes are shot fairly normal, though he seems to be constantly breaking the fourth wall and speaking directly to the audience. It is through him that we find out a lot of background information, such as the fact that Weyland-Yutani had a secret expedition following the Sulaco, that they boarded it and captured the hybernating crew and, most importantly, that they recovered the Queen Ripley jettisoned from orbit. Easton almost plays as a narrator, commenting on all of our other plotlines in some way or another.

NOTE: The styles are by no means inclusive, as various scenes in one story could be shot in a different manner. They simply function as a way to give each story a unique identity outside of the script, and to provide a better emotional context to them.

Ok, like I said, the middle is really hazy. These are the things we need to see happening. Isham and Oliver dueling in the senate on Titan with Isham once again coming up short and not attaining government support. It is revealed that the Queens are too far underground in the hive structure to allow for orbital bombardment to safely eliminate them without damaging the planet. However, Isham states that "strategic assaults" by Colonel Hawkings and his men have been effective and managed to eliminate several hives around the world already. He provides footage of one such assault.

With the Righteous, we need to see how they live in a millenialistic way, a society of hellfire and brimstone that has a very tenuous relationship with the Shirab research base. Something happens to Quist, he dies in a messianic manner, and it spurs on his adopted sons to do something. Ripp is eventually able to convince Easton to provide the Righteous with his gene therapy so they can retake the Earth, which he does, providing it to nearly 2200 people and allowing them the use of several transport ships. They land near Boston and begin an advance on the hive. Along the way, the therapy kicks in and we see that a treated human is actually a match or maybe even superior of a full-grown warrior, with an aggression that is nearly unmatched. Along the way, Ripp and Remar discover Newt and the three seem to form some kind of bond, the two men because she in some way reminds them of their past loved ones, and Newt because she feels a safety with them. In a frontal assault on the hive, the wave of the Righteous fight their way through swarms of Xenomorphs (and trust me, this footage would be BRUTAL. I have one image in my mind of a man grappling with an alien, both clawing and screaming at each other, the man being impaled on the aliens tale, but forcing himself forward to take the creatue to the ground and batter its head, the secondary jaw tearing off several of his fingers that he doesn't even notice are gone as he goes on to keep pulping the creatues skull with his hammering fists) with Ripp, Remar, and Newt managing to make it to the Queen's chamber. The two of them kill the Queen at the cost of their own lives.

This is where the ending begins, and everything comes together. First, while the Righteous are attacking the Hive, we see Hawkings and his men suiting up and boarding ships.

We cut to Isham and Kendall, who informs him that the assault is about to begin.

We cut to the Queen's death, and we see that the aliens begin acting incredibly erratic without her presence. The shadow of dropships and suddenly armored special forces are killing haywire drones and remaining Righteous left and right. We see Hawkings giving out orders, telling his men to fan out, begin nuclear placement and to recover the girl.

We again cut to Isham and Kendall, where Hawkings voice tells them that the test-tube wave was effective and hive will be killed within two hours. He also confirms that the girl has been recovered. Isham signs off and he and Kendall stand looking at Earth and having a very heavy conversation about the morality of what they are doing. Isham seems very torn up about it, but says that the planet is sick and for sickness to be treated, there must be martyr's to the infection. Kendall does not seem comfortable about this, but makes a call and tells whoever answers to begin the next batch.

In Easton's lab, the camera is panning about. Panning about to show rows upon rows of tanks in which naked humans float, cords leading into their foreheads and monitors above the tank showing various scenes of devastation and life in a survivors community. We keep panning and tracking until we come to two very specific tubes, tubes in which bodies that very much look like Daniel and Michael float, the screens above their heads playing back the memories of dying mothers and cocooned sisters. In front of the tank stands Quist, looking at the screens somewhat sadly and next to him stands Easton making notes. Quist asks where the next batch is going to be sent. Easton says he thinks Japan. Quist then asks why these two are always so special, gesturing to Michael and Daniel. Easton replies that they have a very special pedigree and then points to a separate screen that displays genetic information, revealing that Michael is genetically derived from Hicks and Daniel is derived from Ellen Ripley. Easton then tells Quist he had better go rest while he can.

The camera continues following him as he walks towards a station and addresses someone named Bishop. He asks who it was the completed the matricide. A pan over reveals Newt's stuffed rabbit plugged into a monitor that displays its answer in text, informing the doctor that Michael and Daniel completed objective. He then says that they always complete the objective. Easton agrees with him. A further pan over reveals Newt once again in a catatonic state and secured like she was at the beginning of the film, a monitor above her head displaying the Queen's death. Easton says that it always ends the same and suddenly we cut back to inside the hive.

In the damp darkness, we see the body of Michael lying still, impaled on the dead queens claws, as Daniel stumbles out from underneath the body and into Newt's arms. The fall to the ground. She holds his head in her lap. He is gasping for breath, practically hyperventilating, showing little control of himself and struggling not to laugh. She strokes his hair absent-mindedly still not sure what is dream and what is reality. He desperately looks at her and she to him and he speaks.

"Please, please, sing me to sleep, sing me to sleep, sing me to sleep, sing me t--"

The spasming and seizures becoming more intense, his head bouncing around fanged teeth straining and gnashing together, grunting, then growling and finally screaming. And screaming, and screaming, until any trace of humanity disappears and becomes it becomes the shriek of the Xenomorph and his clawed hands lung up towards his eyes. . .

With a twist of her hands and a sharp crack, he dies, hands going limp, and any light of sanity that once existed in her eyes goes out as well. Dreamily she gets up, stumbling away, leaving him lying there with arms splayed out and wanders away into the dark of the hive. We stay with his body, unmoving and martyred, until suddenly the screen flashes into a blinding white.

The credits roll without music.

Misc.

Ok, so that's all I got. Now, some other thoughts. With this, I was trying to go for a different type of horror than the first two films, mainly an apocalyptic horror. However, apocalypse means revelation, and THAT is the central theme, discovering things. Nothing is as it really seems in the movie, it's all a large and designed illusion. So, even though I'm sure there would be a number of BOO! type moments, the main horror is psychological.

I really want to play with the idea of humanity's reaction to monsters and how we are capable of becoming them ourselves.

I didn't want to discard the last two films (even though I do not like them) but I also didn't want to be constrained by them, which is how the whole matter of the manipulated reality came about. Originally it was just going to focus on the survivors on Earth who had been developing the gene therapy themselves. Adding in the other elements came later.

Another thing that I'd like to clear up in the ending is that the gene therapy is simply another illusion. The Righteous are grown as hybrids and the "therapy" simply awakens their dormant traits when they've reached the end of their education.

With the Abbadon Righteous, I was going for a very scary, cultish and milleniarian vibe. They take the view that the Rapture was humanity's exodus into space and that those left behind must suffer the Tribulation that is the Infestation. Lots of dark and disturbing imagery involved. A crucifix where a chest-burster is exploding from Christ, a last supper where everyone is cocooned with face-huggers attached to them, and scenes of angels that resemble vampires battling bloodily with xenomorphs.

Some of you might wonder a little bit of my casting of Charlie Day and Will Arnett in serious roles, but I believe it makes a lot of sense. They've both always come off to me as being able to do "unhinged" well, and I think it would be very interesting to see them in such a different role that I think they could channel well. As for my other choices, I think they are pretty self-explanatory.

While the main musical inspiration was "Lullaby" by The Cure, some others were the song "Baleen Sample" by Animal Collective, "The Supermen" and "Saviour Machine" by David Bowie, "World Full of Nothing" by Depeche Mode, "Where is My Mind" and "Havalina" by Pixies, and the albums Heaven Up There by Echo and the Bunnymen, Psychocandy by The Jesus and Mary Chain, and Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen.

The movie deserves its title for several reasons. Sleep and forced dreams are a main concern, so that's one. Also, I imagine several characters making references to lullaby's at one point or another. Finally though, I think this movie would be dark and depressive enough to really put the franchise to bed for good.

Ok ladies and gentlemen, you've just been treated to the massive ramblings of a warped and demented mind. Please forgive me, I just wanted to get this out there.

Last edited:
Too many good movies... I can't do this!

and in reverse order...

1st place: Ultimate Houde.
1st place: Marvelman
1st place: Moonmaster
1st place: Entropy

Yes, its a 4-way tie, with ONE vote each.

The only fair way to resolve is to follow the example of the Holy One in the previous game, and put it down to who has won the least games... who is it?

Moonmaster, your plot was well thought out. I enjoyed it.

However, Entropy's masterpiece of a genuine mind**** blew me out of the water. I loved it. He will be receiving my vote for this round. Even though it's wordy, it's a great idea.

Latest posts

Back