Essential X-Men (Vol. 2)

All right, once again, its time for ME!

-"New York, New York
Nothing to add here…"
Then why add it? Strange self-reference person

-"The mothership and the rest of the armada left Earth's atmosphere, but only to outer space, out of range of the X-Men. "
Doesn't leave Earth's atmosphere and outer space imply the same thing?

-"Cyclops was taking the situation the worst. As the others were too scared, shocked, or just didn't know what to do, Cyclops grew angrier. He turned around and yelled at the team.

"You wonder why I put you through so much training?! Look at this!! LOOK!!! Thanks to everyone's inability to do their job the way they're supposed to, now Jean's been taken away!""
You should combine these two.

-"Wolverine was furious. He didn't for one second approve of Cyclops blaming them for something they weren't even prepared for; something that wasn't their fault. Grabbed Cyclops by the neck and pushed him up against a wall. He put his fist in front of Cyclops's face, keeping it a few inches away, and then released his claws.

SKNIT!

"Listen, bub. NO ONE was ready for that! NO. ONE. I can tell yer pissed that you never had time to tell her about the love you have for her. I can smell on you. But that ain't an excuse to go blamin' everyone for somethin' they couldn't stop. Yer supposed to be better than that, remember?""
:) :) :) :shock: :) :) :) :) :D

-"Thank you. You look so much like her," Xavier told her girl.
Huh?, Xavier's a who now?

-"Quit your struggling, Earther. This will happen whether you like it or not."
OMG, RAPE!

-"trying to get a sense of where she was at[where she was]." , and "The fire quickly began to take shape around Jean as she slowly got up from where she laid [lay"
I assume you just missed this in editing.

-"The Phoenix took flight through the ship and into space. She incinerated the armada before flying back into the mother ship. "
YEAH! 8) Dead Rapists!

-Still not enough Beast.

All right, once again, its time for ME!

-"New York, New York
Nothing to add here…"
Then why add it? Strange self-reference person
It was supposed to be a joke. Failure 1. Humor Found 0.

-"The mothership and the rest of the armada left Earth's atmosphere, but only to outer space, out of range of the X-Men. "
Doesn't leave Earth's atmosphere and outer space imply the same thing?
Well, the way I thought of it was that when I say atmosphere, I mean within the earth, like the sky and what not. And outer space is above the earth, far from it.

-"Cyclops was taking the situation the worst. As the others were too scared, shocked, or just didn't know what to do, Cyclops grew angrier. He turned around and yelled at the team.

"You wonder why I put you through so much training?! Look at this!! LOOK!!! Thanks to everyone's inability to do their job the way they're supposed to, now Jean's been taken away!""
You should combine these two.
Now, don't you start a new sentence when someone talks?

-"Wolverine was furious. He didn't for one second approve of Cyclops blaming them for something they weren't even prepared for; something that wasn't their fault. Grabbed Cyclops by the neck and pushed him up against a wall. He put his fist in front of Cyclops's face, keeping it a few inches away, and then released his claws.

SKNIT!

"Listen, bub. NO ONE was ready for that! NO. ONE. I can tell yer pissed that you never had time to tell her about the love you have for her. I can smell on you. But that ain't an excuse to go blamin' everyone for somethin' they couldn't stop. Yer supposed to be better than that, remember?""
:) :) :) :shock: :) :) :) :) :D
Yay, a happy camper!

-"Thank you. You look so much like her," Xavier told her girl.
Huh?, Xavier's a who now?
Um...not sure what you mean? :?

-"Quit your struggling, Earther. This will happen whether you like it or not."
OMG, RAPE!
HA!

-"trying to get a sense of where she was at[where she was]." , and "The fire quickly began to take shape around Jean as she slowly got up from where she laid [lay"
I assume you just missed this in editing.
I'm not the only one who missed it. Hehe...

-"The Phoenix took flight through the ship and into space. She incinerated the armada before flying back into the mother ship. "
YEAH! Dead Rapists!
Haha!

-Still not enough Beast.
There's lots more Beast to come! Look for #38 when it hits the boards!

EXM38.jpg

Essential X-Men #38

Plot by Ultxon & Ice
Written & Cover by Ice

"For Richer or Poorer" Part 1 of 2

It's time to meet the Hellfire Club! They hold a secret that will shock the team, but what sinister plot are they cooking? Can the X-Men hang on long enough to figure out before it's too late?

Release Date: 6/29/07

My name is Charles Francis Xavier. I founded the X-Men because I believe this world can co-exist with both humans and mutants alike. I searched for those were able to help me in my cause that would one day rid of the hatred that fills the hearts of those who wish ill against us. I brought together six mutant outcasts to do just that.

Cyclops. Iceman. Jean Grey. Colossus. Beast. Wolverine.

And then we found Storm during a mission in Africa.

Now if only the world can see the good that can come from this…

PREVIOUSLY IN ESSENTIAL X-MEN:

The X-Men took a big hit when the Brood came to Earth and in the end kidnapped Jean. After her capture, the Phoenix that has been within Jean was at last reborn and destroyed the Brood armada by crashing the Brood mother-ship into New York's Hudson River.

With no life signs, not even Jean's, the X-Men hang on by a very thin thread…

EXM38.jpg

ESSENTIAL X-MEN #38

FOR RICHER OR POORER

PART 1 OF 2

"INVITATION OF A LIFETIME"

Somewhere in the U.S.A.
Area Undisclosed-

Voice Session Journal Entry #54763-A59B

So far I'm getting great results with the testing of the Time Displacer. Hmm. I really do need to come up with a better name. At the moment, I can only view a few days into the past from the current day, but I hope to change that by dinner tonight…if I don't get distracted…again. But hey, this version is only the 15th prototype after all.

I begin today with looking into the events that occurred two days ago. I have no particular reason for choosing two days into the past, just a random choice. This invention is just amazing. It's as if I was really there, without actually time traveling. And that's a whole different project!

Two days ago
The Hudson River
New York, New York-

I see the Ultimates are here as well as the X-Men. They seem to be looking for something or possibly someone? I've been keeping track with what the X-Men have done since I first started using this machine. Anyways, I see Iron Man and Colossus are pulling a spaceship out of the river with the help from Giant Man as Nick Fury talks with Charles Xavier. Cyclops watches on, disappointed. Hmm. Jean seems to be missing. Could something have happened to her? I'll have to check back further at another point. It has been a day or two since I last checked on them. The other X-Men and Ultimates are helping to clean up and rebuild the part of the city damaged by the tidal wave.

I would have thought Iceman would have returned by now, seeing the kind of person he is. He and his sister seem to be doing fine in- bzzzt-…-bzzzt-…

Damn voice recorder. I forgot I had to make a new one today. So many distractions. I think it's time for a break now.

End Voice Session Journal.

Xavier Institute for Higher Learning
Today-

Scott sat in his room, sulking. He sat on his bed staring at nothing with his mind wandering off. A gym bag was packed and lay next to a packed suitcase, waiting for him at his door.

"You cannot actually be thinking of leaving." Ororo surprised Scott, who jumped quickly from his bed. Ororo was flying outside and came up to give Scott a little visit.

Scott yelled back, "I'm not going to take this anymore! What hope can the professor actually have if we're all just going to end up leaving one way or another?! Bobby walked out on us! And now Jean's dead! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT TO ME TO DO?!"

"You already know," Ororo simply said as she flew off.

Xavier's Office-

"I don't think another night out would actually help, but thank you for the thought, nonetheless," Xavier told Peter. Peter and Hank sat across from Xavier in his office as they tried to come up with a solution to bring the team together again.

"Of course this has hurt Scott the worst among us all," Hank mentioned as he fixed his glasses. Hank was wearing his lab coat as he pulled out a small notebook from his front chest pocket. He opened the notebook and flipped through some pages. He stopped at one and looked at it with a puzzled face.

"Is there something wrong, Hank?" Xavier asked, wondering what Hank was doing and what confused him.

"Oh, no, it's…it's nothing to fret about. I think I'll go and check for the mail," he answered back as he stood up and left the office. He came back with lots of letters and a small thin package.

As he looked through the mail he said, "Bill, bill, bill, misc., bill, b-oh. Well, this is fascinating."

"What is it, Hank?" Xavier asked as he looked for a pen from his top desk drawer.

"There's a correspondence here addressed to you…from the Hellfire Club," Hank answered as he sat down in the same chair as before. But as soon as Xavier heard the name of the place, he quickly looked up at Hank.

"Did you just say Hellfire Club?"

"Yes sir. What do you think they want? Don't they just deal with the riches of the estate? Oh! Peter, forgive me. I almost forgot. This package here is for you. It's from your sister, Illyana."

Peter took the package with excitement to see what his sister had sent him. He opened it up to see a newly taken picture of his family and a note from his sister in Russian.

"What does it say, Professor?" Hank asked, curious to know what the Hellfire Club wanted with him.

Xavier sighed before answering, "It's an invitation, Hank. We've been invited to join the club's open house this evening."

"That gives us a few hours to prepare. Come, Peter. We'll tell the others."

"Dah."

Hank and Peter left to tell the others what they perceived as good news. Smiles graced their faces as they laughed on their way out of the room. But as Xavier's face showed dismay, this was not a sign of good faith. He looked at the note again and saw a number he had to call as soon as he read the invitation. Xavier picked up the phone and reluctantly called the number provided.

"Thank you, Charles Xavier. I was hoping you would call."

"Sebastian, why do you insist on inviting me? Do you really think I'm going to attend?"

"Ha-ha-ha! Oh, Charles. Just make sure to be here tonight with your precious X-Men. That is, if you have any by then. After all, you have your reputation to keep up, do you not? 'Headmaster' of a fancy prep school? If only the world knew…"

"How-"

"Oh, don't be stupid. I have eyes and ears all over this city. Word can travel fast through the…grapevines. Tonight, Charles. Not a second later."

-CLICK-

Xavier hung up the phone, worried about what could go wrong. Just then, Hank came barging back into the office.

"Apologies, dear professor. I had taken the bills with me. Here you go," he said as he was leaving yet again.

"Hank. Wait a second."

"Yes, Professor?"

"Call everyone to the War Room, please."

"May I ask why?"

"Just do it. And make sure Scott comes, whether he wants to or not."

Stunned for a second, Hank said, "Yes, sir."

10 minutes later
Sub-basement Level
War Room-

Everyone gathered in the room as Xavier had requested. Even Scott was there, but he wasn't too happy about it. He stood up against the wall with one foot on it and his arms crossed. Hank, Ororo, Peter, and Logan sat at the available seats.

"Everyone, please listen carefully. Tonight we are attending the Hellfire Club's open house. While we are there, you are to keep a low profile. Everyone is to have their uniform under your tuxes and dresses in case of an emergency," Xavier explained to the group.

"And you call us down here for this?" Scott asked.

"Not exactly. The Hellfire Club is not just a fancy country club society for the richest of the state as the world sees them to be," Xavier answered.

Hank chimed in, "As we are not just a school for gifted in intelligence?"

"Precisely. For the past seven weeks, they have kept sending invitations for us to attend their club."

"Why do those snot-nose punks want with us?" Logan wanted to know.

"Us. They want us," replied Xavier. Everyone stood in confused silence.

"Could you elaborate, please?" Hank politely asked.

"The Hellfire Club has an inner circle that truly runs the place. Who they are, no one knows for sure, but it is known Sebastian Shaw is the ringleader. I met him once when I was eighteen and about to enter the army. My step-father was a newly accepted member at the time and they had a special eye for my step-brother, Cain Marko, who is the Juggernaut."

"But what does that to with us, exactly?" Hank still wondered.

"That is what we will find out."

The Hellfire Club
New York, New York
7:56 p.m.-

A black limo pulled up in front of the large building with an 'Open House' banner across the front. Two men stood on each side of the front door wearing white tuxedos and white black bow ties.

"Mike, you slumbering fool! Stay awake! Do you wanna get fired from this job as well?"

"Huh? Oh, sorry, Craig. I was just up all night last night readin' up on how WoW affects the minds of the weak minded. It's a quite interesting take if you ever want to check it out."

"Yeah, no thanks. Now come on. Mr. Shaw's special guests are here. We're supposed to get them to him right away."

As the limo's door opened, the first to step out was Scott. He straightened the tie on his tux and turned around to help take the wheelchair out and prepare it for Xavier. A hand came out of the limo as Scott grabbed it and pulled. It was Xavier's hand as he got out of the limo and then into his chair. Ororo followed, dressed in a red gown that covered her from neck to feet. Peter, Hank, and Logan then finally exited the limo as well- all of them dressed up in tuxedos like Scott.

"Ugh. Couldn't there be somethin' better for me to be in?" Logan asked, not liking the tuxedo he had to wear.

"Can't you show some sign of class just this once, Logan? It won't kill you," Scott said as he pushed Xavier and headed towards their guides.

"Welcome to the Hellfire Club. Please follow us. Mr. Shaw would like to see you," Craig said as he and Mike brought the guys into the club.

Sebastian Shaw's Office-

Sebastian Shaw stood in his office as he looked out the window and talked to someone on his cell phone. "Yes, yes. Trust me, they will accept the offer. And once they're out of New York City, then, and only then, will we go after our target. Otherwise, we will have too many obstacles in the way of our prize. One way or another, we're going to get back that gem."

KNOCK. KNOCK.

"I have to go. They're here," he said as he closed his cell phone. "Come on in." He turned around to greet his guests, Xavier and all.

"Ah, Charles. How nice of you to finally come," he said as he sat at his desk.

Xavier wasted no time and went straight to the point, "What do you want with us, Sebastian? No more games."

"Charles, Charles. Such hostility. Can't we be friends here?"

"I got six reasons for sayin' no. You wanna know 'em?" Logan interrupted.

"Logan! No! I will handle this. Now Sebastian, you wanted us here for a reason. What is it that you seek from us? What is so important that you had to have all of us here?" Xavier kept trying to find out. His face showed distrust. Scott's did as well.

"To be honest, I actually would have only needed Mr. Summers there. But this is something that does concern everyone here."

"Me? Why me?" Scott curiously asked.

"Because, Mr. Summers. I know where you can find Jean Grey."

TO BE CONCLUDED...

And it returns! The conclusion to the HFC story!

My name is Charles Francis Xavier. I founded the X-Men because I believe this world can co-exist with both humans and mutants alike. I searched for those were able to help me in my cause that would one day rid of the hatred that fills the hearts of those who wish ill against us. I brought together six mutant outcasts to do just that.

Scott Summers, a.k.a. Cyclops tries to cope with Jean's death by planning to leave the mansion, but not before the X-Men receive an invitation by none other then Sebastian Shaw, leader of the Hellfire Club.

A bombshell was dropped on Scott and the crew as Shaw revealed to them that he knows where they can find Jean Grey. But is this true? And if so, what would Shaw want in return? Would Scott or anyone believe the information?

The X-Men are about to find out…

EXM39.jpg

ESSENTIAL X-MEN #39

FOR RICHER OR POORER

PART 2 OF 2

"THE HUNT FOR JEAN GREY BEGINS"

The Hellfire Club
New York City, New York
8:05 P.M.-

"Yes, you heard me correctly, Mr. Summers. I know where you can find Jean Grey. Believe me, I know everything," Sebastian revealed to Scott, who was shocked by the news.

"That's...that's impossible! J-Jean's body was never found! She's dead!" Scott insisted]=, not believing a word Sebastian told him. Everyone else stood in silence, not knowing what to say.

"Sebastian," Xavier intervened, "if you think you can toy with us by belittling our loss, you'd best be prepared to deal with the consequences. I do not take this very lightly."

"And the hostility ensues. I am not lying about knowing the whereabouts of your precious Ms. Grey, Summers. You see, while I run this Hellfire Club here in New York, it is not the only club at all," Shaw explained, pulling out a file from his desk. He opened it and then threw it on the desk, [so it faced Xavier.

"Look through it, go ahead," he told him. Charles took the file. He opened it to see the photo of another building. The words "Hellfire Club" were engraved over the front door. Under the picture was a little biography of the place, but the fact that stood out the most to Xavier was the location of the second club was at.

"London, England?" Xavier questioned.

Shaw answered, "Yes. London, England. It is the second of three clubs in the world. The third being in Paris, France, that is. A new location just recently opened."

"What does this club in England have to do with anything? What does this have to do with Jean?" Scott spoke up.

Shaw let out a little laughter and asked, "Well, I thought you didn't believe me, Mr. Summers? Curious, no?"

Scott didn't reply, but instead stared angrily] back at Shaw giving him an angry look.

"Why, Sebastian?" Xavier spontaneously asked.

"Excuse me?"

"Why? Why are you doing this? You say that you invited us tonight because you know where to find Jean, but you've been trying to get me and my team here for the past seven weeks, which lead to no avail. So suddenly the time we accept is the same time a member of ours goes missing…and you know where she is. I'm afraid to say this for you, Sebastian, but this does not appear too well for your health…"

SNIKT!

Elsewhere
Area Undisclosed
Yesterday-

Voice Session Journal Entry #55285-B32T

Well, what do you know? So Jean disappeared right when that ship had crashed. That explains her being absent from the team. Things aren't looking well for the X-Men. Especially now.

I wish I could help them. But being that I'm stuck here, that isn't a possibility. Well, maybe when they…nah, I still can't, as much as I'd loved to. I should finish up with the Time Displacer. Getting it to work to see a few days ahead into the future was great. Didn't get much time to eat, but that's not a big deal when you've made things like this!

Hard times are coming for the X-Men. I just hope they're ready. I don't think that…bzzzt….bzzzt…save….bzzzt…th…bzzzt…

CLUNK! CLUNK!

I guess that serves me right for trying to fix the damn thing instead of just replacing the battery pack. Oh well. I need to finish the repairs on another item anyways. I hope I can get it done soon. It's going to be very useful in a few days.

End Voice Session Journal.

Back at the Club-

"Charles, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you're accusing me of kidnapping poor Ms. Grey to blackmail you into coming here," Sebastian said.

"That is exactly what I'm saying," Xavier countered back.

"Hahaha! Oh, rest assured that I didn't have anything to do with her disappearance. A man like me has no reason to stoop to a level like that to get what I want."

"Bub, you best start makin' some damn sense soon or yer gonna see how I gut a fish," Logan threatened Sebastian, demanding answers.

Sebastian began to explain, "As I had told Charles before, I have eyes and ears all over this city. I was told everything that had happened, including the disappearance of your friend. That is how I know of you all and your…school."

"That still leaves us with how you know where she is and why you have wanted us to come here," Hank finally chimed in.

"That is quite simple. As everyone knows, the Hellfire Club is for the…important people. I've been wanting Charles to be a part of this club for quite a long time, but I've been waiting for the right opportunity. I truly want you to be part of a glorious thing here, Charles. I want you to be a member of not just the Hellfire Club, I want you to be a member of the Inner Circle."

"No."

"Charles, I think it's time we talk in private now. Everyone else can wait in the ball room," Sebastian suggested. But no one budged an inch and stayed put.

"They can stay," Xavier said back.

"No, they will not. Trust me. If any of you want to find your friend I suggest they leave. Now."

And so, seeing no other choice, Scott left first. The others soon followed. As the door closed behind them, Xavier kept watching Sebastian closely.

"Charles," Sebastian began, "I know you want to know why this is all happening, truly. You wonder why I, out of nowhere, decide to help you. Simply put, I want you and X-Men out of New York for a few weeks."

"What?!"

*​

The Hellfire Club
2 days ago-

Three figures sit at a round table in the dark with little light shining from a dying light bulb that hung over directly over the middle of the table.

"Sebastian, are you sure about this?"

"Yes, Wyngarde. The only way to get them out of New York is to give them the information that was sent over from England."

"But even if we give them that information, what guarantee do we have that their leader won't leave with them or elsewhere?"

"No worries, Selena. We simply invite him to be part of the Inner Circle. After Roberto's leaving, the spot is wide open."

"Yes, and to someone better! Do not invite that fool! He is not like us!"

"Calm yourself, Selena. Charles will accept. He won't have any other choice."

Today-

"You cannot possibly think I will leave here on your whim!" cried out Xavier, still reeling from what Sebastian just told him.

"I have business to conduct, Charles. And you and your X-Men will only get in my way," Sebastian calmly replied.

"You have to be crazy to think we'll just leave. What do you think will stop us from even attacking you now?"

"Simple. This," he said as he threw another file at Xavier. Xavier opened it to find revealing images and notes that made his jaw drop and eyes widened. He was left speechless by what he saw.

"Yes, Charles. That is your father. And yes, everything I'm doing now is blackmail. Why? Well, it goes with the fact that I'm the Black King, don't you think? I told you, Charles, kidnapping is not the way I work. I am honest with people and I never loose."

"You're willing to put these lies out? About my father supposedly being a mutant? You think that will stop me from stopping you?" Charles asked as he grew angrier by the second.

"Oh no, no. I do not expect you to go away with just that. That was the tip of the iceberg. The reason why you will disappear, Charles…is because if you fail to, I will reveal to the world who you and your students truly are…"

The Hellfire Club
2 days ago-

"I still don't understand. You want him to go away, but you're inviting him to join?"

"Yes, Selena. We only need him and the X-Men gone for a while as we search for Cain and kill him."

"Why? And how will we do all this?"

"We blackmail him with lies about his father and threaten to reveal what he really does with the students."

"So let me get this straight. We're inviting the X-Men, blackmailing them into leaving and for Charles to join us, all while we search for Cain?"

"Correct, Wyngarde."

"Why exactly do you want Charles? You could do all this without getting him to join."

"Charles is a mutant himself. He is a very powerful telepath. That makes him very useful."

"This seems like a lot of trouble just to get that Cytorak gem back."

"Selena, everything in life that one truly wants costs a lot of trouble to get. But in the end, it will all be worth it."

Today-

"You bastard," Charles called Sebastian.

"No need to stoop to petty name calling. It's just…business. Let me warn you now, Charles. If you don't do this, I will destroy everything you have worked for up to now. I will reveal all your secrets and lies."

Xavier stood silent for a moment, contemplating the possibilities that he could use to get out of this. But there were none. He didn't want the world to know that he or his students were really mutants. At least not yet. So he was left with no choice. Charles had to accept Sebastian's offer.

"Let me warn you now, Sebastian. I will find a way. I will stop you," Charles said as he left the office. Sebastian stood watching, smiling. As Charles was leaving and heading down the hallway, a dark shadow stood in place, one like that was at the mansion once before.

"Almost…time…" it said as it then disappeared.

Moments later, Charles arrived in the ballroom, where he met up with the X-Men.

"Professor, is everything alright? You look ill," Hank wondered.

"I've decided to take Sebastian's word. We're going to look for Jean," he told the group.

"R-really? What does he want in return?" Scott asked.

"Nothing for you to worry about, trust me. And Scott, even with your dire attitude as of late, I want you to lead the team still."

"To where?"

"To England. To find Jean Grey. To meet…"

EXCALIBUR!

X—END—X

Next: You read right, folks! The X-Men meet Excalibur!!

EXM40.jpg

Essential X-Men #40
Written & Cover by Ice

"Excalibur Unite!" Part 1 of 3

LET THE ROAD TRIP BEGIN! This issue officially starts "The Hunt for Jean Grey" saga! And first off is London, England where the X-Men are going to meet Excalibur-- England's finest! But this isn't any normal meet and greet. What's that? You wonder why? It's simple! Excalibur has something the X-Men want, but they won't give it up. Excalibur versus X-Men…ROUND ONE!

The X-Men were invited to the Hellfire Club's open house and met the leader of the club, Sebastian Shaw. He presented them with Jean Grey's location, much to the group's surprise. In return, all he asked for – or rather, blackmailed Charles Xavier for – was a promise that the X-Men would leave New York for a couple of weeks.

And who exactly is the mystery person who's been following the X-Men via inventions he's created? First things first, though. It's time the X-Men found out who Excalibur are!

EXM40.jpg

ESSENTIAL X-MEN #40

EXCALIBUR UNITE!

PART 1 OF 3

"THE MIGHTY EXCALIBUR"

Buckingham Palace
London, England-

Down in the underground of the palace a guard carried a metal pod with a window on top and wires all around it down the dark, barely-lit hallway. He was accompanied by a tall man whose costume dons the British flag.

"Captain Britain, forgive my rudeness, but what exactly are we bringing down to the vault?" the guard asked. He took a quick look at the captain, who ignored the question and kept walking down the hallway alongside the guard and didn't bother to even give a look. The guard rolled his eyes and kept walking, too.

As soon as they entered the vault room, Captain Britain opened the hatch and waited for the guard to enter. When the metal pod was placed safely inside the vault, the guard walked out, and wiped his forehead after taking off his hat.

"So I guess I'm not supposed to know what that is?" the guard asked again.
Captain Britain finally looked at him and said, "You did your job. Let's go." And with that, Captain Britain locked the hatch and both men returned to the upper floors of the palace.

The Blackbird
Flying over the Atlantic Ocean-

Cyclops and Storm sat at the helm, co-piloting the aircraft. Wolverine and Beast occupied the passenger seats; Colossus sat with the professor in the rear seats.

"Hey, Slim, you think you could pick the speed a bit? That is if you don't mind," Wolverine quipped.

Cyclops replied, "Because I don't want us to be detected, that's why. I'd rather not have the British Air Force all over us, thinking we're some kind of invaders."

"And if they still catch us on their radar?" Wolverine continued.

"Then they deserve to capture us."

"Why did we not simply call ahead to avoid such problems?" Colossus wondered as he looked at the front of the jet.

"Comrade, consider first our reasons for traveling to England. Now ask the question again," Beast told him as he intervened for Cyclops.

"So if we do not have any clearance for landing, where will we actually land the Blackbird?" Colossus continued his line of questioning.

"Don't worry," Cyclops said as he smiled.

Buckingham Palace
2nd Floor
Meeting Room-

Captain Britain walked into a small room that held a long table. The people sitting at the table were shrouded by a looming shadow overhead. The captain walked to the head of the table and sat down. People turned their attention to him as he began to speak.

"The item is now locked away. I made sure of it myself. What is contained within the metal pod is too powerful to keep it out in the open, as our scientists told us in our briefing yesterday afternoon. That is why we took the extra precaution to lock it up where it can do no damage."

"Or so we hope," one of the other attendees said.

"We'll take care of things as they happen. There's nothing else to do at the moment," Captain Britain said.

"So now what? What if someone comes looking?" somebody else asked.
"If that happens, then-"

Captain Britain was interrupted by a British soldier who came bursting in the room yelling for the Captain's attention.

"Captain Britain, sir! I need you to come with me, sir! It's an emergency!" The Captain quickly sprang up from the table and followed the soldier back to the Command Room on the other side of the floor.

As soon as they arrived, the soldier pointed to the radar. When Captain Britain looked, he yelled at the soldier for wasting his time.

"What is this?! I don't have time for games, you idiot! Why are you showing me an empty radar?!"

The soldier, stunned and confused, look back at the radar to see nothing on the screen.

"No…no…I swear! I swear there was something on there! Just wait a second, please!" the soldier cried out. Captain Britain ignored him. Before the captain could return to the meeting, however, a faint beeping drew his attention back to the radar screen. He turned around to see a giant dot appearing then disappearing as quickly as it came. The dot was heading towards the palace.

"Tell everyone to prepare for immediate action. I'll take a look at this myself," the captain told the soldier as he dashed out to check what was heading towards them.

Back with the X-Men…

X-Men landed the Blackbird, fully cloaked, in a river a few miles from the palace. When the walking platform came down, they left the jet one by one. Only Professor Xavier stayed behind.

"So what's our next step, Slim? You ain't exactly fillin' us in on the whole plan," Wolverine asked. He picked his teeth with one of his claws as he waited to see what Cyclops was going to tell them to do.

Cyclops took a deep breath and began his long explanation, "I read the file that Shaw gave us from cover to cover. We'll have to trust this information, no matter how he got it. This is our only lead to finding Jean's whereabouts. We're going to have to go to Buckingham Palace. Shaw's information says that something connected to Jean landed there five days ago. Our only problem is Excalibur, England's prime guard team. According to Shaw's file on their leader, Captain Britain, this will not be an easy mission."

This is exactly why we have set up a diversion. Xavier had told the X-Men, telepathically. As we were reaching our destination here, a dummy missile was sent out. It will not do any damage, but as a means of distraction to take their attention elsewhere as we safely land and you get into the palace.

"We're about three miles away from the palace," Cyclops said. "We're leaving now. The professor is staying behind and guiding us when necessary from there. Let's move."

At the "Crash Site"-

Captain Britain flew to where the radar had shown there to be something going on. He landed in a field of corn and searched the skies to see what exactly was coming. Finally, he noticed something buried deep in the ground. Pulling it out, he saw that it was a fake missile. The captain threw it down in disgust. Someone had toyed with him and he didn't like it. He flew back to the palace to see what had happened while he was gone.

He tried to contact the rest of his team. "Excalibur, come in. This is Captain Britain."

Silence.

"Excalibur. Come. In. This is Captain Britain," he tried once more.

Not a sound still.

"What is going on?!"

Minutes later
Back at Buckingham Palace-

Captain Britain hurried back into the command room to find answers. Unfortunately for him, no one was there. He left the room and began to search for the missing personnel. As he moved silently through the hallways, he was suddenly blasted in the back and hit the wall at the end of the hall.
Cyclops had attacked him from behind. Before Captain Britain could get to his feet, Colossus grabbed him and flung him towards Cyclops. Beast caught the captain by the shoulders and whirled him around a few times before kicking him toward the ceiling. Captain Britain smashed through into the floor above.
The X-Men quickly get above through the whole to find Captain Britain is lying unconscious. As the X-Men followed through the hole, they found Captain Britain unconscious. Then the lights went out.

Elsewhere in the palace-

Wolverine and Storm were walking on the floor right below the others, with Wolverine following a familiar scent.

"I swear to you, 'Ro, I know this damn scent is familiar…I just can't remember from where it came from…" Wolverine remarked. And then Wolverine stopped dead in his tracks. His eyes widened. He quickly turned around as something just bamfed and grabbed him by the throat with one hand.

And then, it spoke. "Remember me, Herr Wolverine?"

To be continued…

Latest posts

Back