Fables series discussion (spoilers)

compound

I haven't read the "Homelands" arc, as well as the latest issue, but I know what happens, and I've already been spoiled about the major revelations.

What i'm curious about is how exactly Sinbad and the Arabian Fables end up in the Mundy world. Did they escape with Boy Blue? Why did they only arrive in Fabletown immediately after Blue learned about Gepetto's plans for "global" domination?

It would be too much of a coincidence to have them show up in New York, right after Blue returns, if they had no connection to his journey.

Could somebody please clarify this?

I have yet to read Arabian Nights, so I have no clue, I get this book via trades, and I can't wait for Homelands, even though I already know of Gepetto, which isn't the real Advesary in my mind, I think even he is being controlled by someone.

Ultimate Houde said:
I get this book via trades.
Same here. Are you complete? Up to what point have you read?

Ultimate Houde said:
I already know of Gepetto, which isn't the real Advesary in my mind
That would be a shame -- most reliable accounts insist that Gepetto has been written as such a complex, sympathetic villain that readers can understand why exactly he became a world-conquering megalomaniac and STILL sympathize with him, as a flawed human being.

Last edited:
compound said:
I haven't read the "Homelands" arc, as well as the latest issue, but I know what happens, and I've already been spoiled about the major revelations.

What i'm curious about is how exactly Sinbad and the Arabian Fables end up in the Mundy world. Did they escape with Boy Blue? Why did they only arrive in Fabletown immediately after Blue learned about Gepetto's plans for "global" domination?

It would be too much of a coincidence to have them show up in New York, right after Blue returns, if they had no connection to his journey.

Could somebody please clarify this?
It does appear to be coincidence - the Arabian Fables have only recently had their homelands invaded, and fled to Earth, arriving in the Middle East.

compound said:
Same here. Are you complete? Up to what point have you read?

I have read up to the point where Prince Charming wins the elections, as for the name, I forget it, maybe Mean Seasons? Cinderella had the litter of pups and Father showed up to train them, and the seventh one was killing people by accident.

That would be a shame -- most reliable accounts insist that Gepetto has been written as such a complex, sympathetic villain that readers can understand why exactly he became a world-conquering megalomaniac and STILL sympathize with him, as a flawed human being.

Well, from what I skimmed, he did it to get rid of all bad rulers in the world, but there was a plothole the size of Kansas if I remember correctly, dealing with the Blue Fairy. But, I haven't read the issue other than skimming it, so I get tell for sure, just had a gut feeling.

Ultimate Houde said:
Well, from what I skimmed, he did it to get rid of all bad rulers in the world, but there was a plothole the size of Kansas if I remember correctly, dealing with the Blue Fairy.
Yeah, heard about that, as well. From what I understand, he captured the Fairy, once she became uncooperative, left her "breaindead" in some kind of comatose state, and ran experiments on her, to drain whatever magickal properties she had, using it to keep building up his troops.

It does sound like a bit of a stretch of the imagination, even for a series that's built primarily on the idea of magic and the make-believe.

But then again, I have yet to read the actualy story, too. It might read better, once I've already got the open book in front of me.

Stuart said:
It does appear to be coincidence - the Arabian Fables have only recently had their homelands invaded, and fled to Earth, arriving in the Middle East.

Yep - not all of the Fables lived on the same world, and the Adversary (or his troops, anyway) have been marching their way through all the "worlds" (probably "dimensions" is a better word). We just met them last issue, though, so we'll know more about them fairly soon - like next week.

I think Willingham said he was going to make an effort to bring Fables from other places in - he was aware he'd been a bit Western European-centric and was going to start using others as well.

I want to know what Bigby's been up to. By far my favorite Fable, though Jack is one too (however inconsistently he's been written).

There's also a great preview up on Buzzscope right now - it's not very spoilery. Prince Charming is now the much-beleagured mayor of Fabletown and Beauty is his deputy. Her husband, Beast, has taken Bigby's old job - and has learned by making mistakes. But this scene is between Price Charming and Beauty: preview

Ultimate Houde said:
Nice, I liek to see that, too many writers let the girl be taken, it's nice to see this happen

Yeah, the expected ending would be that either she gives in or that she completely slaps the Price down, and Willingham didn't let it end either way. They both come out of that without a halo.

curiouser and curiouser

Sweeeeeeet! Solicitation for the upcoming issue:
Part 2 of the 4-part "Arabian Nights (and Days)." The arrival of the Arabian Nights Fables have plunged Fabletown into a culture clash of dire proportions. Can Prince Charming's secret weapon — a Fables character we haven't seen in some time — diffuse the situation before much blood is spilled?​
I wonder who the secret weapon is. Bigby would be too obvious, and I seriously doubt he would cooperate on Charming's behalf. Oh, the suspense!

Last edited:
HOT DAMN, the new issue was good.

"He promises to respect your venerable custom to keep slaves.
In return, he trusts you'll respect our venerable custom to hang slavers wheresoever we find them."
-King Cole, proving why he was a statesman to begin with, and not just a symbolic figurehead​

If only ALL diplomatic disputes could be resolved with such tact!

And the obvious comparison between Genies and Weapons of Mass Destruction? Classic. Willingham's plotting is absolutely brilliant.

Last edited:
I love this series so much, although I must say I jumped onto it rather late (which did mean however that I had 40 issues to catch up on in a couple days:D ).

Anywho, I love how unpredictable this book is, and how the seeds for future storylines are placed many issues ahead, seemingly unimportant at the time. THe only gripe I have with it is the fact that half of the Fables I've never heard of, or only vaguely recollect. Boy Blue and Weyland Smith (RIP) being two characters I couldn't quite place.

Can't wait to see how Sinbad interacts with others.

Ultimate Houde said:
Was King Cole the secret weapon?
Yup! The man is a genius negotiator! He's got awesome diplomatic skills that he never showed until this point.

Fuzzy Birds said:
THe only gripe I have with it is the fact that half of the Fables I've never heard of, or only vaguely recollect. Boy Blue and Weyland Smith (RIP) being two characters I couldn't quite place.
Have a look at the Characters section of Into The Woods, which is the most comprehensive Fables fan site on the web. It epxlains which stories each of them originated form, even the minor supporitng cast.

As Boy Blue, he is meant to be Little Boy Blue, from a nursery rhyme by Mother Goose. As the Black Knight, he was the lead character from Lewis Carrol's Jabberworcky.

Weyland Smith is adapted from a Norse/viking legend.

Last edited:
Fables series discussion (Spoilers!)

I could have sworn there was a discussion thread already, but it's not in the DC Forums.

I read the first arc today. It's really good. The art is bland, and the writing it okay, and the story starts off a bit boring.

But the ending was great. Bigby kicks ***. I will read Animal Farm next, and if I continue to like it, will collect it.

Does this have an ending like most Vertigo series?

Re: Fables series discussion (Spoilers!)

He has an ending in mind whenever it needs to happen...

But has no plans to end the series... I mean, there is simply so much out there to explore.

There are now two series:

Fables, and Jack of Fables (starring Jack of the candlestick fame)

Re: Fables series discussion (Spoilers!)

ProjectX2 said:
I could have sworn there was a discussion thread already, but it's not in the DC Forums.

I read the first arc today. It's really good. The art is bland, and the writing it okay, and the story starts off a bit boring.

But the ending was great. Bigby kicks ***. I will read Animal Farm next, and if I continue to like it, will collect it.

Does this have an ending like most Vertigo series?
I tradewait this and it consistantly improves as it goes on. No idea if it has a planned ending.

And yeah, i thought we had a thread for this too

Latest posts

Back