Fantastic Four #554-569 (Millar/Hitch) discussion (Spoilers!)

Re: Fantastic Four #554-570 (Millar/Hitch) discussion (Spoilers!)

Okay, serious Bass, for the last time, WHY AREN'T YOU WRITING COMICS!!!???

Seriously you should practically own the medium by now!

I just felt like re-tooling the Doom/Richards prison scene. This is off the top of my head, and while it's not Shakespeare, I really kinda like it. :D

That's good.

Very nice rewrite, Bass.

I'm hoping that Doom at least tries to turn on his master. Teacher or not, one dosen't order Doom around and not expect to be bitten back.

That would of been a much better scene.

Okay, serious Bass, for the last time, WHY AREN'T YOU WRITING COMICS!!!???

Seriously you should practically own the medium by now!

That's good.

Very nice rewrite, Bass.

I'm hoping that Doom at least tries to turn on his master. Teacher or not, one dosen't order Doom around and not expect to be bitten back.

Hee hee! Thanks. I just like the "Fantastic" bit. Oh! That and the ludicrous "everyone will die from my flowers" bit. :D

Now I want Doom to kill people with flowers.

Damn you, Bass.

It's totally something Doom would do.

FANTASTIC FOUR #566
Written by MARK MILLAR
Pencils & Cover by BRYAN HITCH

THE MASTERS OF DOOM Part one of four. It begins here! The final storyline of the Millar/Hitch run on FANTASTIC FOUR, culminating all of the plot threads they've set up so far! From across the universe they come, returning to the Earth after a twenty year journey of genocide and sadism. They're the men who tutored Doctor Doom in the ways of villainy—and their re-emergence signals the greatest conflict the Fantastic Four have ever been party to!

ff566_cov.jpg

Sounds interesting, but I'm not going to read it.

I've been thinking about the whole Masters of Doom thing and feel like doing a rant on it.

In all honesty, I think it's a neat idea. Doom's a talented guy, but he had to learn from someone during those years.

People keep complaining that the idea just ruins Doom as a character. It's a legitimate complaint. I remember that Return of Superman story where Mongul is forced to toady to the Cyborg Superman, and I've never been able to take the character seriously since. the fact is, Doom is a bigger name villain then Mongul could ever hope to be. So even if the Masters wipe the floor with everyone and act as the next big threat to shake up the status quo (which Marvel should really leave alone for a while, the poor quo's taken such a beating the past few year it can't find its liver. But I digress.) Doom wil come out intact. I also have enough faith in Millar that he'll realize Doom has to at least try to defeat his Masters. The man took on the Beyonder, a godlike being that affect entire multiverses, and won. There is no way a well written Doom would toady to anyone for long without trying to take what he wants.

As for the Masters themselves, I could easily see them becoming the Fantastic Four equivelents of Apocalypse or Vulcan. That's not really a good thing. But seeing as they've yet to really appear, it all comes down to what happens when they do. (I kind of doubt they'll be a part of Dark Reign or the "next big event", mostly based on the lack of publicity I've seen for them.)

If Millar can tell a good story with these Masters without screwing Doom, then good for him. But if he dosen't...well, my condolences to Mr. Millar and Doom.

Doom and Reed will figure out a way to defeat them.

Surely, Doom will usurp his masters and be the 'big bad'.

What annoys me is the shallowness of it. The idea is, "If DOOM bows down to these guys, they MUST be tough!" But it just feels contrived and forced to make these guys seem 'big'. I think it would be FAR more substantive and meaningful if through the COURSE of the story, Doom went from being an arrogant villain to their dutiful subordinate. But to do that requires REALLY creating villains that would IMPRESS DOOM. Which gets to the root of it for me: all these antagonists in this run so far have been shallow, false jeopardy. Villains Millar hypes as being super-tough and undefeatable, but turn out to be easily defeatable. The Cap robot can defeat the Sentry and all the X-Men, but is beaten by, essentially, a large robot suit. The future Defenders can capture and kill Galactus, but are quite happy to not actually fight at all. So, these masters of Doom seem to be able to eradicate alternate Earths and make Doom bow, but inevitably, they will be defeated with a strategy that is tantamount to, "You think you're tough? Well, actually, I'm tougher! I was just holding back until it was dramatically appropriate to beat you!"

Last edited:

I just read the entire Millar run thus far and I totally admit that I love it.

Its actually inspired me to do a personal dreamcast. I've done it...and despite a few odd choices, I love it so.

So nyah.

I just read the entire Millar run thus far and I totally admit that I love it.

I do too. This is the best the FF has been since the first 2 Mark Waid arcs, which were phenomenally good.

Did anyone else notice how the image of Franklin walking through the huge forest at the end of #564 was taken right out of Roald Dahl's The Minpins? I wish I still had that book...

Hitch draws some badass tentacle monsters:

cthulhuahoy.png

Also, I didn't even notice any statements or rhetorical questions in the dialogue. Either I'm used to it now and I don't notice it or Millar's actually improved his dialogue.

Last edited:

I liked Reed examining the body of an alternate Uatu that had washed up on the beach.

Doom's Master looks like the Mouth of Sauron from Lord of the Rings.

I'm actually looking forward to Immonen finishing the final issue instead of Hitch just because I'm kind of bored of Hitch at the moment and Immonen rules.

I liked Reed examining the body of an alternate Uatu that had washed up on the beach.

Doom's Master looks like the Mouth of Sauron from Lord of the Rings.

I'm actually looking forward to Immonen finishing the final issue instead of Hitch just because I'm kind of bored of Hitch at the moment and Immonen rules.

The alt. Uatu thing was cool. Very gross looking.

I don't get who/what/why Doom's master is supposed to be. Is this a new character? Am I supposed to recognize him?

It's very weird to see Doom have such reverence for someone else like this. He must have something up his sleeve.

The alt. Uatu thing was cool. Very gross looking.

I don't get who/what/why Doom's master is supposed to be. Is this a new character? Am I supposed to recognize him?

It's very weird to see Doom have such reverence for someone else like this. He must have something up his sleeve.

I think he's a new Millar creation.

I believe the guy that trained Doom was only hinted at but never shown back in the Silver Age so Millar decided to bring him back as the new villain. The guy that's hanging around with him is the guy from 1985.

The new issue showed Doom fight back and win and end up living with Sue as his wife and Ben as his friend... only that this is all a dream the Master conjured up for Doom so he could take it away from him. He then destroyed Latveria.

Latest posts

Back