Fantastic Four general series discussion (spoilers)

Re: Fantastic Four series discussion (spoilers)

Dwayne co-created Static.

Darwyn Cooke did the storyboards for the animated series of both Batman and Superman.

New FF???

(MAYBE)

newff.jpg

Anyone else heard anything?

I found this on UncannyXMEN.NET

Last edited:

I was under the impression that DC: The New Frontier writer/artist/graphic designer Darwyn Cooke co-wrote/co-plotted the majority of JLU , though admittedly I have no idea what gave me that impression.
To be precise, Darwyn Cooke's involvement with the DCAU was only as storyboard artist for Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series. He did do the title design for Batman Beyond, but otherwise he has had almost no story involvement with JLU save for a story credit on "Task Force X", a pretty interesting heist episode that was more of a meta-plot advancement episode than the usual glory-service-for-B-listers fare that the series is known for.

While Dwayne McDuffie had major involvement with JLU, I wouldn't automatically use it as a promise of excellence from him for Fantastic Four. He's had some forgettable work and some excellent work, but clearly some of his forgettable work would include the writing for the videogame Justice League Heroes, which is surprising considering that one'd expect he'd work better with the team he's had a hand in popularizing in animated format.

To be fair, that's a videogame and I've yet to see a memorably handled videogame plot written by someone whose experience lies in non-videogame work. Another example of this would be Zak Penn (X-Men: The Last Stand, the hack who did the Fantastic Four videogame which didn't even HAVE a coherent plot.

Most people regard McDuffie's shining work to be JLU. He is credited as writer/producer, and that's largely a TEAM role. I remember listening to J.M. DeMatteis on WordBalloon, and the way he described the writing process, it works like other television shows where there's an overall mission for each episode and writers collaborate and the one gets teleplay credits is merely the one who puts all the pieces together into a 22-page script. Stylistic things like dialogue are shaped and hammered by the team, which is why the Warren Ellis-written "Dark Heart" sounds like Ellis and does not sound like Ellis all at the same time.

Fantastic Four #541 is my vote for Best Comic of the Week. It's also JMS' final issue on the title. *tear*

Thing in France. 'Nuff said.

5/5

Did anyone else see the cover for #544 on New Joe Fridays? It looks fun.

Am I the only one looking forward to McDuffie's run? :?

Am I the only one looking forward to McDuffie's run? :?

I don't know, but I'm not.

This book hasn't been good since Unthinkable.

I think it's stupid for Marvel to do that, after they already revealed who the new members are about a month and a half or so before putting out that cover...

Eh, I'm think I'm only going to enjoy it if I think "Okay, Lil Brother, this is only temporary. The original Fantastic Four are going to be back. Hell, this new one probably won't even last a year. Just sit back and try not to think about it too much."

But I am really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really sick of the Black freakin' Panther and his random marriage to Storm. I don't even like the character, which is something rare for me. If anything's bothering me with this new F4, it's this over-exposed Kitty Man.

Eh, I'm think I'm only going to enjoy it if I think "Okay, Lil Brother, this is only temporary. The original Fantastic Four are going to be back. Hell, this new one probably won't even last a year. Just sit back and try not to think about it too much."

But I am really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really sick of the Black freakin' Panther and his random marriage to Storm. I don't even like the character, which is something rare for me. If anything's bothering me with this new F4, it's this over-exposed Kitty Man.

Agreed.

I will not even be reading this - forget buying in trades.

And I take back what I said earlier. The first JMS arc was very good.

I vaguely recall seeing a cover for Silient War with the original FF on it so this probably wont last until then

Semi-off-topic, but will the lineup change be reflected in MK 4 as well?

And now it looks like that Storm & Black Panther might not be (possibly) the new FF team-mates.

NewFF2.jpg

Fantastic 6?

And now it looks like that Storm & Black Panther might not be (possibly) the new FF team-mates.

NewFF2.jpg

No. Alternate Rotating members would be an awesome idea until Sue and Reed make the comeback. I like that a lot better than just Storm and Black Panther. I have to admit I'm very partial to Silver Surfer since the movie will focus on him a bit. Good show.

I don't even collect this...

Latest posts

Back