Fantastic Four general series discussion (spoilers)

Re: Fantastic Four series discussion (spoilers)

And now it looks like that Storm & Black Panther might not be (possibly) the new FF team-mates.

Possibly, but I'd be inclined to think that that this was a semi-generic cover created when the new team was secret, so as to not spoil anything.

I thoiught the living planet had died.

So did I...

Possibly, but I'd be inclined to think that that this was a semi-generic cover created when the new team was secret, so as to not spoil anything.

So did I...

Yeah but the dead planent isnt as catchy...

I dislike Turner's art, but I admit that Galactus is amazing. But the rest of the cover seems a bit off.

I dislike Turner's art, but I admit that Galactus is amazing. But the rest of the cover seems a bit off.

Same here.....although I love Turner's art. But the rest of the art seems off. Like it was a bunch of sketches photoshopped together and then colored in.

I haven't been reading Civil War stuff, but I had to read the most recent Fantastic Four after seeing what happened in it being discussed elsewhere.

Reed reveals that he's created a new type of science called "psychohistory", where he can predict societal trends and the evolution of human politics. He claims that he's predicted the end of humanity will come soon unless certain horrible events come to pass, such as the Registration Act. During this issue, the Mad Thinker is brought in to check his math and Sue sneaks into the Baxter Building to observe Reed's conversation with the Thinker.

That's right, Reed says that he can calculate THE FUTURE OF HUMANITY. With MATH. To such a degree he's willing to CLONE THOR.

This is stupid on two levels.

Within the story, it's stupid because it's ridiculous. There are too many variables. Reed says his formula can't calculate individuals' actions, but in the MU, the actions of individuals change the fate of the world. Think about the Scarlet Witch and Galactus and the Silver Surfer. There are countries like Atlantis or the Inhumans or Latveria whose leaders are absolute and have no Congress or Parliament to dictate their policy. The actions of these incredibly powerful countries are determined by their DICTATORS, not by the people. Even if he did manage to factor in cosmic entities, he can only factor in the ones he knows about. What about the Sentry, a being of incalculable power who appeared out of nowhere? What's he gonna do when Hulk returns? Shouldn't he have had to rewrite all his equations when Wanda said "No more mutants"? Or maybe the writers are saying that Reed predicted "around this time, a bunch of mutants will be wiped out", which seems to contradict his explanation of what he's done.

Within the context of the MU and this being a comic book, it's ridiculous. First of all, it completely redefines Reed's role. He shouldn't be a scientist or a superhero anymore, since he's taken it on himself to manipulate the choices of all of humanity. I find the idea that he would simply return to being the leader of the Fantastic Four laughable, but with a movie coming up, that's exactly what will happen. The status quo is a cruel mistress. Plus, the fact that this is even possible means that every ancient, antigravity-having alien empire should have their own psychohistorian predicting every little uprising for them. It means that Reed's attempts to manipulate the world should affect every corner of the MU, and that's not going to happen.

Maybe, MAYBE, the sun will rise in the west and this will be handled well. Maybe pigs will fly and the title will be given to a good author who will make this work. Maybe hell will freeze over and it will be remembered without taking all the fun and/or logic out of the book. Maybe the earth will spin backwards and this won't be retconned into oblivion within the year.

But I doubt it. The only good thing I can think of is that it provides a logical reason why Sue might accept a pardon: she's hoping to keep Reed from doing anything too evil until he gets over this psychotic god complex.

Well see it is theorically possible to predict almost anything with math (but its way to complex for anyone to do) And consider he is taking into account people like Sentry, Wanda, Galactus are showing up and that could mean being of such power are growing more and more threatening Earth's existence and that the Registration Act could prevent these powers from growing out of control. And equations like that would only work on the big picture, like Social Trends and politics, growing rate of Superheroes and mutants and how often the Earth is threaten.

I haven't been reading Civil War stuff, but I had to read the most recent Fantastic Four after seeing what happened in it being discussed elsewhere.

Reed reveals that he's created a new type of science called "psychohistory", where he can predict societal trends and the evolution of human politics. He claims that he's predicted the end of humanity will come soon unless certain horrible events come to pass, such as the Registration Act. During this issue, the Mad Thinker is brought in to check his math and Sue sneaks into the Baxter Building to observe Reed's conversation with the Thinker.

That's right, Reed says that he can calculate THE FUTURE OF HUMANITY. With MATH. To such a degree he's willing to CLONE THOR.

This is stupid on two levels.

Within the story, it's stupid because it's ridiculous. There are too many variables. Reed says his formula can't calculate individuals' actions, but in the MU, the actions of individuals change the fate of the world. Think about the Scarlet Witch and Galactus and the Silver Surfer. There are countries like Atlantis or the Inhumans or Latveria whose leaders are absolute and have no Congress or Parliament to dictate their policy. The actions of these incredibly powerful countries are determined by their DICTATORS, not by the people. Even if he did manage to factor in cosmic entities, he can only factor in the ones he knows about. What about the Sentry, a being of incalculable power who appeared out of nowhere? What's he gonna do when Hulk returns? Shouldn't he have had to rewrite all his equations when Wanda said "No more mutants"? Or maybe the writers are saying that Reed predicted "around this time, a bunch of mutants will be wiped out", which seems to contradict his explanation of what he's done.

Within the context of the MU and this being a comic book, it's ridiculous. First of all, it completely redefines Reed's role. He shouldn't be a scientist or a superhero anymore, since he's taken it on himself to manipulate the choices of all of humanity. I find the idea that he would simply return to being the leader of the Fantastic Four laughable, but with a movie coming up, that's exactly what will happen. The status quo is a cruel mistress. Plus, the fact that this is even possible means that every ancient, antigravity-having alien empire should have their own psychohistorian predicting every little uprising for them. It means that Reed's attempts to manipulate the world should affect every corner of the MU, and that's not going to happen.

Maybe, MAYBE, the sun will rise in the west and this will be handled well. Maybe pigs will fly and the title will be given to a good author who will make this work. Maybe hell will freeze over and it will be remembered without taking all the fun and/or logic out of the book. Maybe the earth will spin backwards and this won't be retconned into oblivion within the year.

But I doubt it. The only good thing I can think of is that it provides a logical reason why Sue might accept a pardon: she's hoping to keep Reed from doing anything too evil until he gets over this psychotic god complex.

So...Reed's becoming Dr. Doom?

So...Reed's becoming Dr. Doom?

To be fair, it seems like he doesn't always think the end justifies the means, he just thinks this is a special situation where any action is okay, no matter how evil, because it means life or death for the human race.

I don't think this is a bad story, I just don't think a 616 Fantastic Four comic is the place for it, because doesn't make sense and it won't be dealt with properly. After all, Reed says in the story that he was inspired by an Isaac Asimov novel, and Asimov is almost incapable of sucking, so that book is probably pretty good (though I've never read it).

I liked what one of the critics over at Line of Fire Reviews said. Dwayne McDuffie's a great fit for Fantastic Four, but in order to really shine, he has to get past all this - as The Thing so rightly put it - "Freakin' Civil War!" Unfortunately, it looks like it'll be more than a little while until the team - the original four - gets back together. And by then, who knows, McDuffie'll probably be off the book. :?

TwilightEL, I like the fact that you're someone who starts some really interesting discussion points about the Fantastic Four (especially with regards to Reed), and really try to dissect what's going on, especially because I feel it's the most misunderstood of the Marvel properties.
Reed reveals that he's created a new type of science called "psychohistory", where he can predict societal trends and the evolution of human politics.
The notion that Reed has created/invented psychohistory is complete balderdash. True, McDuffie owns up to this by saying that Reed was inspired by a work of Asimov's, but as a Psychology major I can tell you that the discipline does exist outside of fiction , even if it is not consistently named as such.

In Civilization and its Disconcents, Sigmund Freud applied his psychoanalytical theories to history, and therefore proceeded to look at history as something shaped by the underlying urges. (Which is exactly what it sounds like --- a history of Oedipal complexes and other famous Freudian-coined phenomena). This was in 1929, by the way, which would have been long before our 21st century Reed would have been born.

Erich Fromm also wrote about the psychological motivation of politics, and Erik Erikson (best known for his identification of multi-staged developmental theory of personality) used to make calls to examine the impact of personality on history, and he called this hypothetical discipline "psycho-history". There are more examples of 'psychohistory' in the real world, but I've chosen only to mention those I've learned from my college lessons.

Regardless, Reed is completely daft in saying he created this discipline because any scientist with half the brain that Reed has would tell you that the development of sciences (soft fuzzy social ones and hard empirical ones) is one that is an overlapping process, not something that spontaneously comes out of nowhere.
TwilightEL said:

Within the context of the MU and this being a comic book, it's ridiculous. First of all, it completely redefines Reed's role. He shouldn't be a scientist or a superhero anymore, since he's taken it on himself to manipulate the choices of all of humanity. I find the idea that he would simply return to being the leader of the Fantastic Four laughable, but with a movie coming up, that's exactly what will happen.
Reed is a cold, insensitive jerk who sometimes forgets that people have feelings, but he's not some kind of interventionist wingnut.

In fact, Reed has always been consistently portrayed as some kind of Star Trek:TNG-type who tries to avoid interfering in the natural course of events or culture, and forcing himself only to change things if it spells cosmic disaster (usually when someone else tells him to like say, The Watcher).

You know how Doc Brown invented a time machine in Back To the Future because he wanted to see "What does it all mean? Where is humanity going"? Reed's not interested in that and all. For all his inventiveness and explorer spirit, Reed is rarely shown intentionally looking into the future, jumping forward in time just for the curiosity of it and back to use the information, he'd rather let history unfold in its natural course.
TwilightEL said:
I don't think this is a bad story, I just don't think a 616 Fantastic Four comic is the place for it, because doesn't make sense and it won't be dealt with properly.
I agree.

The need to maintain status quo for the characters --- for better or for worse --- limits what you can do with The Fantastic Four and other comic book characters. This is why promotional event-writing is very difficult because if you try to make stories expand their reach and scope and try to become more sophisticated, because that means you can't go back again to a 'simpler' time.

Reed can't suddenly become aware that there is a world larger than his intergalactic hijinks, trying to play with the course of humanity and conveniently go back to discovering man-eating flowers in the nanoverse (because it's interesting and fun and hey it's a great place to have a family picnic). It doesn't work on ANY character without proper plot motivation.

TwilightEL said:
Strangely enough, I'm beginning to think this psychohistory (at least the version Reed has conceived) works BETTER in the real world (to an extent) than it does in the Marvel Universe.

Here's why: In the real world, most of us don't have a say in the way the world changes. Sure we vote, we affect the way markets are shaped and we YouTube and blog and Friendster each other to death and we are now Time Magazine's Person of the Year. But that's demagoguery and not hyperindividualism.

In the Marvel Universe, anyone with superpowers is a hyper-individual --- a miniature political, ideological and social faction all his own aligning himself with slightly like-minded individuals who are their own miniature political ideological social faction. From a writing standpoint, they've exaggerated factionalism to a point where one superpowered person asserts their individuality to a greater extent than say 100,000 people with one ideology.

That's why psychohistory CAN'T work in the MU the way it would in the real world. Individualism is exaggerated and pumped up with elastic superbrains, and goblin hulk physique and mutant laser death ray eyes. Every action carries such enormous superpowered weight as to cause enough chaos to make disaster possible every 18 months.

The difference between the Marvel U and our world is that both have scales of balance that even out back to normal for the most part, but the Marvel U's just tips heavier and swings wilder than our world because Scarlet Witch can rewrite history and god-like beings like to 'beta test' humanity and thus chaos becomes the status quo that cancels itself out.

I just read #542, and I have to say I'm impressed. I'm not sure that I've ever ready anything by McDuffie before, but he hit a couple of home runs this issue.

First - the dialogue between Reed and Johnny at the beginning was GREAT. Johnny as the mature one is very powerful because it's not like him, but it's not a departure from the character. I thought Waid established that well early in his run - this actually seems to build off that whereas JMS (as far as I remember) didn't go anywhere near it. And he had Reed pegged perfectly too. Here's a genius with a great family and friends, and he just doesn't know how to act around them. I loved how he was the weak one in the scene with Johnny.

The psychohistory idea is a little out there but it worked. The room full of Reeds equation was cool to see, and the way he recruited Tinkerer, basically on is knees begging, was very well done. It might have been a little more powerful if it had been Doom, but how many times can you retell that story?

If the new members end up being Black Panther and Storm I'm going to be disappointed, because this run is off to a great start.

TwilightEL, I like the fact that you're someone who starts some really interesting discussion points about the Fantastic Four (especially with regards to Reed), and really try to dissect what's going on, especially because I feel it's the most misunderstood of the Marvel properties.
The notion that Reed has created/invented psychohistory is complete balderdash. True, McDuffie owns up to this by saying that Reed was inspired by a work of Asimov's, but as a Psychology major I can tell you that the discipline does exist outside of fiction , even if it is not consistently named as such.

In Civilization and its Disconcents, Sigmund Freud applied his psychoanalytical theories to history, and therefore proceeded to look at history as something shaped by the underlying urges. (Which is exactly what it sounds like --- a history of Oedipal complexes and other famous Freudian-coined phenomena). This was in 1929, by the way, which would have been long before our 21st century Reed would have been born.

Erich Fromm also wrote about the psychological motivation of politics, and Erik Erikson (best known for his identification of multi-staged developmental theory of personality) used to make calls to examine the impact of personality on history, and he called this hypothetical discipline "psycho-history". There are more examples of 'psychohistory' in the real world, but I've chosen only to mention those I've learned from my college lessons.

Regardless, Reed is completely daft in saying he created this discipline because any scientist with half the brain that Reed has would tell you that the development of sciences (soft fuzzy social ones and hard empirical ones) is one that is an overlapping process, not something that spontaneously comes out of nowhere.

I hadn't heard about any of this. I'm just going by what I read in the book. I'll definitely have to check that stuff out, though.
Reed is a cold, insensitive jerk who sometimes forgets that people have feelings, but he's not some kind of interventionist wingnut.

In fact, Reed has always been consistently portrayed as some kind of Star Trek:TNG-type who tries to avoid interfering in the natural course of events or culture, and forcing himself only to change things if it spells cosmic disaster (usually when someone else tells him to like say, The Watcher).

You know how Doc Brown invented a time machine in Back To the Future because he wanted to see "What does it all mean? Where is humanity going"? Reed's not interested in that and all. For all his inventiveness and explorer spirit, Reed is rarely shown intentionally looking into the future, jumping forward in time just for the curiosity of it and back to use the information, he'd rather let history unfold in its natural course.

I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying here. I think you mean that Reed is only behaving this way because it's a special circumstance.

But the development of civilization is always important. Besides, couldn't you argue that Reed is being greedy by not applying these equations?

In some places in this world (and I think you know which ones I'm talking about), one of the greatest reasons for war is hate. People simply hate each other so much that it's become a part of their culture and they can't stop fighting each other because it'd be like admitting that two plus two is five. Psychohistory as it is described here could predict ways to manipulate cultures and societies to get rid of this hate. Couldn't it arguably predict which countries could foster terrorists? I just think there are so many different applications for this, that once Reed starts relying on it to make decisions, he's going to get caught up in it or go insane, especially without Sue, Johnny or Ben (especially Sue) there to act as his moral compass and common sense. Although I did say earlier that I could see this being used to explain why Sue would take a pardon... in order to look out for Reed while he's being crazy and *****slap him if he tries anything too Doom-ish.

I agree.

The need to maintain status quo for the characters --- for better or for worse --- limits what you can do with The Fantastic Four and other comic book characters. This is why promotional event-writing is very difficult because if you try to make stories expand their reach and scope and try to become more sophisticated, because that means you can't go back again to a 'simpler' time.

Reed can't suddenly become aware that there is a world larger than his intergalactic hijinks, trying to play with the course of humanity and conveniently go back to discovering man-eating flowers in the nanoverse (because it's interesting and fun and hey it's a great place to have a family picnic). It doesn't work on ANY character without proper plot motivation.

Strangely enough, I'm beginning to think this psychohistory (at least the version Reed has conceived) works BETTER in the real world (to an extent) than it does in the Marvel Universe.

Here's why: In the real world, most of us don't have a say in the way the world changes. Sure we vote, we affect the way markets are shaped and we YouTube and blog and Friendster each other to death and we are now Time Magazine's Person of the Year. But that's demagoguery and not hyperindividualism.

In the Marvel Universe, anyone with superpowers is a hyper-individual --- a miniature political, ideological and social faction all his own aligning himself with slightly like-minded individuals who are their own miniature political ideological social faction. From a writing standpoint, they've exaggerated factionalism to a point where one superpowered person asserts their individuality to a greater extent than say 100,000 people with one ideology.

That's why psychohistory CAN'T work in the MU the way it would in the real world. Individualism is exaggerated and pumped up with elastic superbrains, and goblin hulk physique and mutant laser death ray eyes. Every action carries such enormous superpowered weight as to cause enough chaos to make disaster possible every 18 months.

The difference between the Marvel U and our world is that both have scales of balance that even out back to normal for the most part, but the Marvel U's just tips heavier and swings wilder than our world because Scarlet Witch can rewrite history and god-like beings like to 'beta test' humanity and thus chaos becomes the status quo that cancels itself out.

I completely agree.

I love how Reed thinks he can predict an increase in superhumans. Now, I'm going to assume that he's somehow calculated in hyper-individuals (neat phrase, by the way) and the probability of Galactus getting the munchies. How does he know that something even weirder won't show up? Nobody would think that a random bomb test would lead to the rise of an antihero that would kill thousands and destroy cities and save billions by saving the world, but it happened. Running pure math when Galactus arrived, he'd probably conclude they were all screwed, but then Uatu showed up and saved their asses faster than you can say deus ex machina. Again, it's not a closed system.

Also, I really want to know what his desired effect is. So far, all we've gotten is that registration is necessary. But the way he and the other Pro-Regs have been trying to force it is absolutely moronic.

For example, the Anti-Regs in prison and the Thunderbolts keep their costumes. Doesn't he realize how creepy that is? Costumes mean something. Masks mean something. What does it say when you have bright and shiny heroes with their underwear on the outside rotting in jail, while the Green Goblin is riding around laughing his *** off? Are they really going to stick the red, white and blue in the Negative Zone along with Captain America? The symbolism in that makes my skin crawl.

That was kind of off topic, but the point is... Reed is acting irrationally, both in the conclusions he's reached, and how he's approaching them. If you go from the angle of his formulas being wrong... he's wrong. If you go from the angle of his formulas being right... he's still wrong.

Unless, of course, he's calculated that not only is registration necessary... Civil War itself is. Now that would be screwed up.

If the new members end up being Black Panther and Storm I'm going to be disappointed, because this run is off to a great start.
From MW poster, taken from Wizard:
In an article on the FF post Civil War, the editor states that Black Panther and Storm will be a part of the team. And after reading the latest Black Panther, a mention is made of T'Challa setting up his own Frightful Four with Dr. Doom, Namor and Storm. Could this be the team?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back