Fantastic Four general series discussion (spoilers)

Re: Fantastic Four series discussion (spoilers)

Why would T'Challa want to assemble a team with Dr. Doom?

Oh wait, Hudlin.

In an article on the FF post Civil War, the editor states that Black Panther and Storm will be a part of the team. And after reading the latest Black Panther, a mention is made of T'Challa setting up his own Frightful Four with Dr. Doom, Namor and Storm. Could this be the team?

Wait... do you really mean Frightful Four? Because I don't think Reed acting like a dick would necessitate the creation of a supervillain team and working with Dr. Doom.

Wait... do you really mean Frightful Four? Because I don't think Reed acting like a dick would necessitate the creation of a supervillain team and working with Dr. Doom.
I dunno. I got that from MW. I forgot to put that in a quote bubble before.

Today I figured out an almost indisputable example of why psychohistory does not work.

Days of Future Past.

Reed, you just got pwned.

The entire planet was gonna end up as a dystopian hell where mutants are hunted down like animals within the lifetime of the current heroes. Also, I don't own that particular comic, but I'm guessing that at least a few mutants were shown with powers in that future who ended up depowered by Wanda.

However, the actions of ONE PERSON (time-traveling Kitty Pryde) saved ONE PERSON (Senator Kelly) and ended that timeline forever. Her actions could not have been predicted. The murder of Senator Kelly by a SMALL GROUP of mutants commanded by ONE PERSON sent the world down a completely different path.

Also, psychohistory won't save Val, Franklin, or the Fantastic Four from a horrible and untimely death. Just because it makes the world and human society a better place doesn't mean that they won't be screwed over--Reed said so himself. However, it's a moot point, because PSYCHOHISTORY DOESN'T WORK.

So, with #543 out it's official - Storm and Black Panther are replacing Sue ad Reed.

It's an idea so profoundly bad that I can't help but stay on and see how on earth someone can try to make it good.

The last 6 or 7 issues of this book have been so bad though, I have no idea why I keep reading it. These issues are bad on par with Tom DeFalco/Aron the Rogue bad. And those were, like, some of the worst comics I've ever read.

The issues with Thing in France were boring pap. The Reed/Sue fight was almost interesting but "resolved" way to soon to be anything close to meaningful.

Maybe I won't keep reading after all.

The last 6 or 7 issues of this book have been so bad though, I have no idea why I keep reading it. These issues are bad on par with Tom DeFalco/Aron the Rogue bad. And those were, like, some of the worst comics I've ever read.

Yeahbutwhat. . .

I just read #542, and I have to say I'm impressed. I'm not sure that I've ever ready anything by McDuffie before, but he hit a couple of home runs this issue.

If the new members end up being Black Panther and Storm I'm going to be disappointed, because this run is off to a great start.

I strongly recommend trusting McDuffie. He might even help Hudlin become just a bad writer, instead of a terrible, terrible one.

Anyway, it's not like the FF never had alternate members before. At least they're keeping the married couple dynamic.

Last edited:

Black Panther and Storm are oficially on the team replacing Sue and Reed.

Looks like 3 members of the Fantastic Four are the part of 12 forgiven heroes, Johnny and The Thing doesn't seem to be hiding, and Sue is back with his pro-reg husband (such a shame, I thought they would build up a little love-tension with Namor after CW #6).

She-Thing!! I don't know if they had to do that to us, rest of the issue was kinda nice.Reporters have better intelligence than the pro-reg apperreantly, because they do talk to spider-man, while shield can't even locate where he is.

Yeahbutwhat. . .

The only interesting thing that has happened recently was the psychohistory bit. I liked that.

Unfortunately it was shadowed by Thing going to France and the Reed/Sue thing, which would have been a lot more interesting if a) it had lasted longer and b) would have been resolved by something other than them leaving the team and replaced by C-listers. I don't have a problem with alternate members. But removing a plot that had potential to be interesting is stupidity.

With McDuffie's first issue I thought he might clean up the dreck that JMS left behind, but no such luck. I *loved* JMS's first story, but it's been pretty much crap since then.

Marvel failed when they didn't put Grant Morrison and Jae Lee on Fantastic Four after the 1234 mini series.

So...I read this against my better judgment. This is the first issue with Black Panther and Storm as the new members.

The cover reads "New Fantastic Four". Strike 1. The New Fantastic Four was a few years ago when they had Hulk, Spider-Man, Wolverine, & Ghost Rider take the place of the regular FF for about 3 issues. This is not the New Fantastic Four.

Then a reporter asks Black Panther why he's here...doesn't he have a country to run? Good question. I was wondering the same thing. BP's answer? His responsibilities to Wakanda are best served in the US because the hero reassignment has disrupted the balance of superpowered beings across the globe.

What?!

And worse, McDuffie seems to be working a tie in to his Beyond mini as hard as he can. Why? What's the point? Who even read that? Not enough people to tie a major book into it.

This sucks. I want the real FF back with a good writer.

I think McDuffie's a great writer, E. At least for this title. MUCH better suited for the book than JMS.

The three parter with Gravity could've been great except for the fact that part 3 hit the reset button on everything that changed during the arc; that and the fact that Galactus was being nice to the FF.

And this new story with the Frightful Four is even better. I'm loving the artwork on this book, and I especially like the way the panels are laid out in all sorts of interesting shapes and such.

Despite it being 20 short pages, the writer manages to put a great balance of story development, humor, and most importantly, scenes with all six of the current team members. Ever since the FF split up, Reed and Sue have had appearances in every issue. And it's not like McDuffie was the one who decided that Storm and BP were going to move in, but just like Peter David did on FNSM after the unmasking, he's adjusting very well to the new status quo and is still able to tell very entertaining stories with the new plethora of characters. (There's even a She-Hulk cameo in this one!)

So, sorry E, but we're on completely opposite sides when it comes to this title. I think, too, that because I read this with my 10 year old brother, I also like to see that the "9 and up" rating on the front is applied well (unlike Mighty Avengers, with the Tigra sex and naked Ultrons everywhere), and it wasn't so accesible to him during JMS' run -- he still got everything, but he wasn't catering to both young and adult fans reading the title. McDuffie's doing just that.

Thumbs up from me.

Last arc: 4/5

#547: 4.5/5

Latest posts

Back