Fantastic Four Reboot

But can the general audience tell the difference between movies made by Marvel and movies that are made by other studios that are using Marvel's licenses?

I don't think the GENERAL audience cares one iota about that. It's a vocal group of Marvel fans that care about it.

And yes, Marvel has done mostly well in adapting their own properties, but at this point I think there is so much Fantastic Four fatigue that if they DID adapt it no one would care.

And yes, Marvel has done mostly well in adapting their own properties, but at this point I think there is so much Fantastic Four fatigue that if they DID adapt it no one would care.
I don't think no one care. There'll certainly be those who would and do. I certainly care.

I don't think the GENERAL audience cares one iota about that. It's a vocal group of Marvel fans that care about it.

If they make a great film preceded by an exciting and appealing trailer, people will care. A lot of the buzz (positive or negative) surrounding comic book films starts due to hardcore comic fans.

I was listening to the Daredevil Joe Quesada Fatman on Batman episode and he was talking about how important it is that they get the comic audience because if the comic audience likes it then they know the general audience will like it.

I was listening to the Daredevil Joe Quesada Fatman on Batman episode and he was talking about how important it is that they get the comic audience because if the comic audience likes it then they know the general audience will like it.

Exactly. Comic fans really do act as a sort of barometer for superhero movies for the general public. It's not an exact science, but as Quesada said, if you've got the hardcore comic fans on board and you've impressed them with your approach to adapting the material, their positive word of mouth goes a long way online, in conversation with friends, etc (especially after the first trailer hits and buzz it at its height until release).

Comic fans are like Gandalf on the bridge facing the Balrog, telling which superhero movies shall pass and which shall not.

Fantastic Four shall NOT pass!

I think it's the opposite. I think that comic fans will tolerate and like a lot more than the general audience. There are things that comic fans will accept that general audiences will think is stupid.

I think it's the opposite. I think that comic fans will tolerate and like a lot more than the general audience. There are things that comic fans will accept that general audiences will think is stupid.

True, but in my experience comic fans are probably the most critical and demanding microcosm of society, so I'd say that's an important thing to factor in.

Point is, if they were to make a good film based on the property and market it smartly, I doubt it wouldn't do well commercially and critically.

True, but in my experience comic fans are probably the most critical and demanding microcosm of society, so I'd say that's an important thing to factor in.

I agree, and in my experience they will paradoxically buy and consume things they don't like - things that other more mainstream audiences would not like either but because they have no affinity for the properties they will will not consume them.

I agree, and in my experience they will paradoxically buy and consume things they don't like - things that other more mainstream audiences would not like either but because they have no affinity for the properties they will will not consume them.

Right, but how many times has that happened with a Marvel Studios film? That's an important factor of this hypothetical equation you seem to be overlooking. General audiences and comic fans alike flock to MS films, and I'm sure that would hold true for a theoretical MS production of a FF film.

Right, but how many times has that happened with a Marvel Studios film? That's an important factor of this hypothetical equation you seem to be overlooking. General audiences and comic fans alike flock to MS films, and I'm sure that would hold true for a theoretical MS production of a FF film.

I guess I'm missing the argument here. I don't think you can compare because the Marvel Studios films have been widely considered to be very good for the most part.

If Marvel put out a FF film, I think many comic fans would see it no matter what, but with the general audience I think there would be a fatigue factor, especially if the reviews are average. And there's a whole lot more general audience than comic fans.

I guess I'm missing the argument here.

I'm more responding to this than anything:

I don't think you can compare because the Marvel Studios films have been widely considered to be very good for the most part.

Right... that's my point. You can easily compare them, based on the fact Marvel knows their properties and characters and aren't afraid to adapt them without forcing unnecessary changes (like this reboot FF did), while still retaining those over the top elements... and general audiences AND comic fans both generally enjoy the results, at least overall.

I don't think that fatigue (which certainly exists currently, don't get me wrong, especially after the stinker they just released... it really is as bad as they say) would last if it were announced Marvel got the rights back.

We have a perfect thing to compare this to with the Sony Spider-Man thing. Amazing Spider-Man 2 was a major disappointment and something of a financial loss when factoring in marketing costs. The FF reboot is treading in the same waters, but is viewed far more harshly.

There was certainly an element of fatigue to the Spidey property after ASM2. But that became almost non-existent when the Sony/Marvel deal was struck.

Not only were comic fans psyched beyond belief, but once they'd "explained" the circumstances to their general audience friends, and how Spidey would be crossing over with the Avengers, well, even the general audience is hyped about the Spidey reboot. Definitely far more so (and viewed more favorably overall) than the ASM reboot a few years back. Once a trailer hits for the new Spidey film (especially riding the coattails of his debut in CA-Civil War), the general audience will likely be very interested.

Undoubtedly that turnaround of the fatigue is due to comic fans generally trusting Marvel to do well with their properties, and that fatigue, undoubtedly, would become non-existent for most were such a deal to happen with the FF.

If Marvel put out a FF film, I think many comic fans would see it no matter what, but with the general audience I think there would be a fatigue factor, especially if the reviews are average. And there's a whole lot more general audience than comic fans.

True... if the reviews are average. I doubt Feige would put a less than stellar script and production team behind a theoretical Marvel Studios FF film.

So, I'd expect were that to happen (a big if), it'd result in a pretty spectacular movie.

I guess my point is, it'd be very unlikely for Marvel not to largely redeem the FF film franchise if they got their shot, based on Marvel Studios history.

General audiences will flock to it in droves if they produce a great film. It only takes a good trailer to get the general audience interested and comic fans locked in, for the most part.

Last edited:
Daaaaammmnnnn that's half the budget. I don't think this sequel talk is true.

Daaaaammmnnnn that's half the budget. I don't think this sequel talk is true.

It's not. They're just attempting to try and save a little face while its still in theaters.

I mean, Fox can be dense at times, but how could they possibly justify a sequel in any of their own minds?

They're just saying that now, part of their BS public relations game while the film is still in theaters in any attempt to salvage what they can financially domestically (which is a lost cause, really) but especially internationally (there are still a few international markets they might be able to profit a little bit from before it's officially a dead duck).

But seriously, as Fox figures out what it's doing with the X-Men franchise a few years from now: Jackman leaving, them trying to do the X-Men TV show with Marvel owning the TV rights to the X-franchise (live action and animated) and the lynchpin obviously being trading back the FF rights to Marvel, all that stuff...

Has anyone here (besides Wyo - he already mentioned he saw it) seen this yet?

Latest posts

Back