Fight Club

Entropy said:
I gotta agree. Get "Doolittle" and then get the rest of their albums, the are all great. I can feel pretty confident in claiming that the Pixies are the most influential band of the past 25 years. Everybody after them has been touched or affected in one way or another.

Absolutely.

Get the albums in this order:

Doolittle
Surfer Rosa
Trompe La Monde
Complete B-Sides <- one of the best B-side albums ever compiled
Come On Pilgrim
Pixies (Purple Tape)
Bossanova

And if you have access to iTunes, get "Bam Thwok".

To back Houde - I saw the twist coming too. But that didn't bother me. As I say - it was the shift from a story of anarchy and isolation, of characters from members of the systems of western society to rebellious revolutionaties, of characters from door-to-door cogs in communities to insane people unable to communicate with themselves, into a "catch the villain and stop the bomb before it blows up the world" movie.

I dunno. I don't think such a deeply delving story should've turned into James Bond.

Ultimate Houde said:
Make love to me

Again? From the front or behind?

But seriously, where else had I said this?

I don't remember.

I didn't know who the fourth man was in Planetary.
I didn't figure out Clue till the ending.
I thought there was a major twist to Sign, but I was wrong in that.
I did guess Bruce WIllis was dead, but halfway through I changed my mind in the Sixth Sense, and I was wrong with that.

I like beef jerky.

And sometimes I **** out my *** too.

I **** beef jerky out of my ***...well, digested beef jerky anyway, and no one I'm sure wants to snap into one of those Slimjim's.

E said:
Goody - do yourself a favor and pick up the Pixies "Doolittle". It will change your life.

"Surfer Rosa" is also a classic - that's where "Where is My Mind" appears. You could also get their greatest hits disc, but the albums are too good to pass up.

I just might do that. Oddly enough, I had been getting into the Cure and the Pixies before I watched Flight Club... When I saw the movie and I heard "Where is your Mind" I nearly died. Epiphany. :) I definitely like how dreamy their music is.

Also, here's an interesting fact... Chuck Palahniuk actually thought the modified ending the movie offered was better than his in the book. That's definitely humbling for Fincher, huh?

Lastly, the movie was supposed to have taken place in Delaware. That's where I'm from...! And, by the way, no movie has ever taken place in Delaware before... At least to my knowledge. :) How friggin' cool is that?

I hated this so much the first time I saw it, partially because it was so ethically bankrupt, partially because I felt the twist was fairly obvious and cheap, partially because it seemed to be trying way too hard to be cool and even emo.

I saw it again recently during a period of intense Calvin and Hobbes reading and liked it quite a bit more, mainly because I was prepared for the general lack of goodness.

Speaking of C&H/Fight Club stuff: http://metaphilm.com/index.php/detail/fight_club/

Good article.

I disagree and I know you're not saying anything to the contrary but I think this is one of Fincher's best movies. I agree with P-Man, Narrator/Jack is far more interesting than Durden himself which isn't to say Durden isn't an intriguing character. It does the book pretty good justice but I wouldn't watch the movie without reading the book.

EDIT: I didn't think anyone would post so soon. that first part was meant towards Ourchair and the second was to planet man comments in another thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back