Fight Club

Goodwill

I saw this movie last night for the first time... It was one of those movies that will change your life when you first see it. Like, I'm so compelled to go and blow something up after seeing this movie. Probably my favorite movie currently.

Who hated this movie?!??!? by the way if you like Fight Club you should check out other david fincher fiilms like "The Game"

You just saw it for the first time? I remember my first time... Sweet memories.

But yes, definitely one of my top 5 movies of all time. One of these days I might actually get around to reading the book.

Film's great until it turns into a stupid manhunt thing.

The Game is superb, I love it.

But my favourite David Fincher film is Seven, which is just unbelievably good. It's one of the best films I've ever seen. You know how harshly I judge films. It's a ****ing amazing film.

i only caught the end (last 30 mins) of fight club and it was killer even tho i missed so much it looked great. i`ve been meaning to watch it ut never got round to doing so

Goodwill said:
Like, I'm so compelled to go and blow something up after seeing this movie.

****ing emo kids.

I still haven't seen it all. Everytime it's on I miss it.

E said:
****ing emo kids.

Funny you should bring this into this thread... A lot of "emo" bands have taken a lot from Fight Club. A band, named Forgive Durden, not only borrows the lead character's name, but, in one of their songs, you can hear Brad Pitt say, "I want you to hit me as hard as you can". Taking Back Sunday based the video for "Cute Without the 'E' (Cut from the team)" on the movie, too. I can think of other bands, too, like Emery, I am Jack's Broken Heart, Panic! at the Disco and Midtown who also reference Fight Club. With all of this going on, you would think Fight Club perpetuated the emo trend.

I'm actually going to make time to read the book. If you've ever read anything from the auther, Chuck Poloniuk (Spelling?), he's fantastic. For those who have strong stomachs, I urge you to try "Guts", a short story about the dos and don't's of masturbation... E, I'm putting that nicely, too. Just see for yourself. Seriously, he's the only author that can make me physically react to what I'm reading... I'm almost threw up reading "Guts" and that means it was good. I saw if anything out of the bounds of reality can touch you, it's been successful. Fight Club was a successful movie in that respect.

I have a few questions, though... In the end, does Tyler Durden (Edward Norton) die with Marla? I thought their building was going to blow up, too. Also, was his neck just blown to pieces at the end? He survived THAT?

E said:
****ing emo kids.

I have to agree

I saw the secret of this movie within 30 minutes, and from then on, it was stale to me.

The movie, to me, was uninspiring.

I actually left the theater after one hour, so I never caught the ending.

And I don't care

Bass said:
Film's great until it turns into a stupid manhunt thing.

The Game is superb, I love it.

But my favourite David Fincher film is Seven, which is just unbelievably good. It's one of the best films I've ever seen. You know how harshly I judge films. It's a ****ing amazing film.
The first time I saw the game I thought it was amazing I was on edge the whole movie. i saw it a second time and realized it's one big plothole.
My favorite Fincher films go like this
1.Seven
2. Fight club
3.The game
4. Alien 3
5. Panic Room

I actually just saw this movie for the first time a few weeks ago. Somehow I thought this movie was just about a bunch of guys beating the hell out of each other and that's why so many people liked it. I was quite pleasantly surprised.:D
Goodwill said:
I have a few questions, though... In the end, does Tyler Durden (Edward Norton) die with Marla? I thought their building was going to blow up, too. Also, was his neck just blown to pieces at the end? He survived THAT?
For some reason, I'm perfectly willing to accept that he shoots himself and survives, but I can't wrap my head around how he had a conversation with himself in the car (just before he crashed it). Were the guys in the back just playing along?

I actually just saw this movie for the first time a few weeks ago. Somehow I thought this movie was just about a bunch of guys beating the hell out of each other and that's why so many people liked it. I was quite pleasantly surprised.

Me too.

The movie is great. It is the perfect colabaration of 3 great minds. David Fincher, great director. Brad Pitt, great actor. Chuck Palahnuik, Best Writer.

If you haven't read any other books by him, I would suggest picking up Choke, or Lullaby. Also Invisible Monsters, or Diary or Haunted or well any of his books. His writing will change your outlook on life.

moonmaster said:
For some reason, I'm perfectly willing to accept that he shoots himself and survives, but I can't wrap my head around how he had a conversation with himself in the car (just before he crashed it). Were the guys in the back just playing along?

I think that's the case. I mean, the guys basically worship Durden, and probably thought he was testing them. That's how I rationalized it, anyhow.

I think people underestimate Edward Norton as an actor. Sure, Brad Pitt was really good in this movie, but his role seemed to come naturally to him. Edward Norton on the other hand seems to have the more difficult role and I think he does it just as naturally as Pitt does, despite the more obvious difficulties. He has to play a guy who is essentially a victim to the fast-paced society that aims towards perfection who has a tendency to lose objectivity in his life because he travels a lot. He begins to crumble and, as a result begins going to support groups for certain malfunctions to make himself feel better... By seeing those people in their miserable moods, he figures his life's not that bad. Add in the fact that all along he has been talking to himself and... Well, you must know where I'm going with this. I think Edward Norton was much more of a standout actor in this movie than Brad Pitt... NOT saying that Brad Pitt was bad.

Also, my friend and I were having a discussion about the inconsistencies of the movie. For instance, when Edward Norton actually called Brad Pitt up I thought that was kind of showing that there was a fault... HOWEVER my friend pointed out that Brad Pitt never picked up the phone. Norton hung up the phone only to get a call back. Also, that car scene is troubling, too, however you have to wonder whether or not those people in the backseat were real, too. Much to my friend's dissatisfaction, I thought Norton may have made up the members of the Club, too.

Finally, is it possible if Norton hadn't met Marla Brad Pitt would've never shown up?

In the book Tyler (Edward) dies with "Tyler" when he shoots himself. I'm not sure why they didn't put this into the movie!.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back