Fight Club

I bought the movie today and watched it again... When he shoots himself in the mouth and it slows down you can see the bullet leave the back of his head. I kind of buy him surviving the shot now, however, it's still a stretch. I think Brad Pitt explains it, though - Marla is there to tie up the loose ends. Him surviving is tying up a loose end with Marla, the catalyst.

SeAcoW said:
In the book Tyler (Edward) dies with "Tyler" when he shoots himself. I'm not sure why they didn't put this into the book.

Stupid time travel.

Planet-man said:
The first rule of Fight Club is: It's a s**ty movie.

The second rule of Fight Club is: It's a S**TY movie.

What's "s**ty"?

"Fight Club" is a sweet-*** movie.

I got a super kick when all of my friends thought I'd be the one to start a fight club... but then again, that might not really be a compliment.

E said:
****ing emo kids.

:lol:

Thats Goody for you.

Ultimate Houde said:
I have to agree

I saw the secret of this movie within 30 minutes, and from then on, it was stale to me.

The movie, to me, was uninspiring.

I actually left the theater after one hour, so I never caught the ending.

And I don't care

Houdey, you must be ****ing psychic, or a total liar, because you say the same thing whenever a big "twist" is involved in something we're discussing.

DIRISHB: "Holy ****, Bendis just killed off Spider-Man out of nowhere!"

ULTIMATE HOUDE: "I saw that happening thirty issues ago."

DIrishB said:
Houdey, you must be ****ing psychic, or a total liar, because you say the same thing whenever a big "twist" is involved in something we're discussing.

Make love to me

But seriously, where else had I said this?

I didn't know who the fourth man was in Planetary.
I didn't figure out Clue till the ending.
I thought there was a major twist to Sign, but I was wrong in that.
I did guess Bruce WIllis was dead, but halfway through I changed my mind in the Sixth Sense, and I was wrong with that.

And sometimes I **** out my *** too.

Last edited:
In the book, Tyler Durden (Edward Norton) does end up surviving the gunshot wound... Marla checks him into a mental institution, where the employees assure Durden that there will be a resurrection of Fight Club in due time. ;-) I checked it up on Wikipedia.

Goodwill said:
In the book, Tyler Durden (Edward Norton) does end up surviving the gunshot wound... Marla checks him into a mental institution, where the employees assure Durden that there will be a resurrection of Fight Club in due time. ;-) I checked it up on Wikipedia.
Yeah? I actualy read the book. That's what happens. :D

On a general commentary on Palahniuk's writing style, the man writes an amazing begining, a great middle, and total **** for endings. Its like he can't figure out how to end his stories and most of the time they just stop. Like in Chuck, one of the characters actualy says "well, I'm still here. I must be crazy". Then everyone walks off. After one guy ****s himself.

Or Survivor, wich had the most wonderfuly ****ed up premise and middle, but fell apart as it went on with psycics and whores. And psycic whores. Yeah.

His short stories are excellent though. I'd deffinatly reccomend Stranger than Fiction. The weakest part in that book was his Celebrity Pieces and I think that came more from me not knowing/caring about the people. Good little bit on Manson though.

As for the novelization of Fight Club, while I think that the movie did a better job of handling the story in the book Marla was a 3 dimensional character, and reading it gave me a much better feel for her and how she could live instead of the charicature that was made out of her in the film. I don't blame Helena Baunam-Carter for it either, I think the screenplay pretty much did that. Some of the changes worked out much better though, such as where they were initialy getting fat (stealing it from Marla's mother) and the Mechanic in the last third, who was swapped over with Brad Pitt (since the line "Tylers words from his mouth" had to be in there a dozen times I think this was a decent desicion. It simplifies things and removes an unnessicary character taht would ahve confused people in the long run)

Goodwill said:
I bought the movie today and watched it again... When he shoots himself in the mouth and it slows down you can see the bullet leave the back of his head. I kind of buy him surviving the shot now, however, it's still a stretch. I think Brad Pitt explains it, though - Marla is there to tie up the loose ends. Him surviving is tying up a loose end with Marla, the catalyst.
No, you see the bullet leave through the back of his jawbone. Theres a nice featureette on how they did that effect, going through half a dozen diffrent attempts. Now it does leave the back of "tylers head". He dies because he though he did. It was the narrator turning the effects of earlier back onto durden, who untill then had more or less been in control of preception vrs reality.

Anyway, if you can't tell I love this movie. It was the first DVD i ever bought, long before I had a proper player that could be hooked up to a TV and struggled through re-watching it on a computer that could barely handle it. Infact if I wasn't so damn tired I'd go watch it right now.

Planet-man said:
The first rule of Fight Club is: It's a s**ty movie.

The second rule of Fight Club is: It's a S**TY movie.
Get his balls. Our best time it 2:46 right now guys!

I love Fight Club. Any movie that ends with buildings getting blown up too the tune of a Pixies song gets a pass from me. That it is a great, bleak and dark as my socks comedy makes it even better. Loved Norton in it.

On the subject of the car scene, where Tyler and Jack have an argument, I believe (and I could well be wrong, I haven't watched the flick in a few months) that there are a few cuts to the guys in the back looking nervous and kinda like "what the **** is going on?" They just aren't saying anything though because of the fanatic/cult of personality thing Tyler has built.

As good as this movie was though, I got to agree with Bass. Se7en was by far Fincher's best flick, not to mention one of my favorite flicks period. I hate it when morons jabber at me about how good the "Saw" movies were and I just ask them if they've ever seen Se7en. "No." It's a miracle I haven't been arrested for assault.

"Where is my Mind" is currently my favorite songs. By itself the song is just ok, but to have it in the end of Fight Club where buildings are toppling and creating mass chaos breathes new life into the song. I downloaded it immediately. :)

Goodwill said:
"Where is my Mind" is currently my favorite songs. By itself the song is just ok, but to have it in the end of Fight Club where buildings are toppling and creating mass chaos breathes new life into the song. I downloaded it immediately. :)

Goody - do yourself a favor and pick up the Pixies "Doolittle". It will change your life.

"Surfer Rosa" is also a classic - that's where "Where is My Mind" appears. You could also get their greatest hits disc, but the albums are too good to pass up.

E said:
Goody - do yourself a favor and pick up the Pixies "Doolittle". It will change your life.

"Surfer Rosa" is also a classic - that's where "Where is My Mind" appears. You could also get their greatest hits disc, but the albums are too good to pass up.

I gotta agree. Get "Doolittle" and then get the rest of their albums, the are all great. I can feel pretty confident in claiming that the Pixies are the most influential band of the past 25 years. Everybody after them has been touched or affected in one way or another.

Goodwill said:

Oh i got that wrong. I thought he was in heaven, and they got to him reporting :roll: He says he dies with Tyler, but then he says "liar". Does that mean he survive ?

Latest posts

Back