Film Club - Currently: Oldboy

Re: Movie Club (Idea/Suggestions)

so what are going be the rules for this gig? are we sticking with SSJ's or what?

Basically. Depending on how well it works, I think we should be able to do a movie every two weeks - one week to find the movie, another to watch it. If we find this is too short a time or too long, we can change it.

I'll choose a movie on Monday and everyone can go and track it down then. You can also watch the movie and post about it in the first week if you want to.

Alternatively, if we find two weeks is too long, then we can either do one movie per week or I could just select 3-5 from the list (making sure a movie from everyone gets chosen) and then give everyone a month to watch those few?

Last edited:

Since I don't think I'm going to receive any more lists, why don't we start this now?

The first movie for the Comic Board Movie Club is...

Adaptation._film.jpg

Adaptation (Spike Jonze, 2002)
A lovelorn screenwriter turns to his less talented twin brother for help when his efforts to adapt a non-fiction book go nowhere.

This was chosen by ProjectX2.

You have the next two weeks to find, watch and comment on this film. If you have any difficulty finding the film (it's on Megavideo) PM me and I'll give you the link.

Last edited:

it had to be a Nic Cage movie (shudder).....but i guess i'll give it a try, since its part of the rules. If anyone would like a copy I "have" a copy. send me a PM and i'll tell ya how.

questions:
1) I am also going to assume that this is open to any one in the public, not just those of us that sent in a movie list.
2) Are we going to post our reviews in this thread?
3) any format to the review?

ex:
Movie Name:
Seen it Before:
Rating (1-10):
Review:

Last edited:

it had to be a Nic Cage movie (shudder).....but i guess i'll give it a try, since its part of the rules. If anyone would like a copy I "have" a copy. send me a PM and i'll tell ya how.

questions:
1) I am also going to assume that this is open to any one in the public, not just those of us that sent in a movie list.
2) Are we going to post our reviews in this thread?
3) any format to the review?

ex:
Movie Name:
Seen it Before:
Rating (1-10):
Review:

Don't be put off because Nicholas Cage is in it. It's so completely different to most of his other roles.

Yes, anyone can post their thoughts. You can post your reviews in this thread to start with. If we get a lot of posts, maybe I'll split it off. And no, there's no format for the review. It's whatever you want to write.

Movie Name: Adaptation
Seen it Before: No
Rating (1-10): 2.5
Review: 2 hours of my life i will not get back.

Hey I'll be down for this. I'll PM you some movies.

Last edited:
Re: Movie Club - It's on now!

Count me in too guys... Right before I go to bed each night, I put on a movie. I'll just follow what you guys are doing.

The current list has 35 movies on it... this could last for quite a while.

Remember everyone, the current movie is Adaptation. You have about a week and a half still to watch it and post your thoughts.

Last edited:

Movie Name: Adaptation
Seen it Before: No
Rating (1-10): 7.5
Review: I actually didn't know how they were going to do this one and seeing Being John Malkovich and Where the Wild Things Are I had high hopes. I actually thought Nic Cage was good in it but I think Chris Cooper was my favorite. I actually felt sad at the end which isn't usual for me. Good Movie.

Adaptation.

I've never seen it before, but heard nothing but good things about the movie and Nic Cage (which these days is a rare thing, amirite!) I very much enjoyed the movie. Cage was very weird in the movie, but a good kind of weird. The type that keeps you interested and wanting to invest in the character to see where he goes. I also liked peering into the world of a writer. Seeing what he goes through to try to make an adaptation he had trouble with was well done. And yes, Cooper as Laroche was great casting. The ending was definitely sad. Don't know what else to say about it.

I'm not sure exactly what I didn't like about it. Not much to dislike. If anything, the scene with the agent seem somewhat pointless, I suppose, albeit funny. Didn't really seem like he *had* to be shown to help, but I digress.

Still, very much enjoyable. 4/5

Last edited:

I think I connected to it so much because I want to become a screenwriter when I'm older. It was a good look into that life.

Re: Movie Club - Currently: Adaptation

I love that some of you hate the movie. It would be boring if everyone liked it.

I'm going to try and watch it and write a couple of paragraphs about it next week.

Here are my thoughts on Adaptation but be warned: there are spoilers.

THE COMIC BOARD FILM CLUB #1: ADAPTATION (SPIKE JONZE, 2002)

tumblr_l1enkdpeUA1qzla78o1_500.png

Adaptation (2002) is a film directed by Spike Jonze about a screenwriter and his attempt to adapt a book into a screenplay. The screenwriter is Charlie Kaufman (played by Nicholas Cage), critically acclaimed screenwriter of Jonze's previous film Being John Malkovich (1999). Adaptation is the result of the real life Kaufman being hired to adapt Susan Orlean's The Orchid Thief. Just like his fictional counterpart, Kaufman had trouble in adapting the book and ended up writing a screenplay about his trouble to adapt the book. And so the film Adaptation was born.

The first two halves of the film are fairly accurate representations of what really happened apart from the character of Donald Kaufman. In the film, Donald Kaufman is Charlie's twin brother (also played by Nicolas Cage). Donald Kaufman does not exist in the real world. In the film, Donald has moved in with Charlie and is also trying to write his own screenplay, with a bit more success than his brother. Donald Kaufman is the key to the film.

The actual screenplay for Adaptation was credited as being written by both Charlie and Donald Kaufman, despite the latter being a fictional character. Both of them were awarded the Academy Award for Best Screenplay. However, Donald deserves the award just as much as Charlie, as in a way, he basically writes the third part of the film.

In desperation, Charlie turns to Donald to ask for his help in writing his screenplay. Donald, having recently finished a very popular screenplay himself, motivates Charlie to follow the author of the book, Susan Orlean (played by Meryl Streep). Susan is going to Miami to visit the subject of her book, John Laroche (played by Chris Cooper) and Charlie and Donald hope to get to the bottom of their relationship in attempt to finally piece together the screenplay.

The third part of the film becomes something that would appear in a movie written by Donald Kaufman and not Charlie; characters being pursued by a gunman through a dark swamp filled with alligators. It ends with Donald being shot accidentally by Laroche and eventually dying, leaving Charlie in great despair… but finally giving him the motivation to finish his screenplay.

Adaptation is less an adaptation of The Orchid Thief and more a film about writing itself. As an aspiring screenwriter, I recognised and understood Charlie Kaufman's struggles to even start the first page. I think this is why I like this film so much; it shows that the harder you struggle, the greater the finished product will be. If I could write a film that was anything like Adaptation, I would be extremely proud.

If you liked Adaptation, I would recommend watching any film by Spike Jonze or Charlie Kaufman, especially Synecdoche, New York (2008), the first film Kaufman directed himself. It is quite similar to Adaptation, with a theatre director attempting to create a show about himself… but like Adaptation, it becomes something much more.

tumblr_l1enokiUsu1qzla78o1_500.png

Finished it.

The movie is a movie about itself.

I hated the fact that Nic Cage played Charlie and Donald. For about 90% of the film I Thought Donald was merely a projection of Charlie's subconscious that only Charlie saw.

The ending was eh.

The wasn't my bag. I played video games during it.

Latest posts

Back