Gambit--Was there substance to his reappearance or was he just there to shut fans up?

Goodwill

It's an interesting question now that the arc is over, isn't it? Was he just there or did he have more meaning than one would want to admit? I mean, c'mon, when you have an oppurtunity to knit-pick, you do so!

Personally, I think that he was in there for a reason and that reason was to shake things up with the team. He's been given a more significant role than an ally or a villain and it seems that wherever his heart is, he'll always be a thorn in the X-Men's side. That to me is going to be very interesting, especially since he's got Rogue by his side now, someone who could also fit that role. We don't have many characters who aren't heroes and aren't villains having a lasting role in the series and I hope that Gambit stays like this. I hope that Rogue stays like this. I don't think that it was a waste at all.

What do you guys think?

Yes, he was there to 'shake things up'. I believe, if I remember correctly, someone wanted to use him to write a good story about him. I'm not surprised that he still didn't join the X-Men. The only reason why he didn't join before was because he's hated by Millar and Bendis.

No, Bendis said himself that he intended to use Gambit when he was first put on the title. Along with Shadowcat, Gambit was going to be an original X-Man. Bendis doesn't hate him.

Gambit was utilized well in this arc, yes. As I said, you don't have to be on a team to be a big character and that was proven by our boy, Gambit! :)

I see. I had read somewhere that both Bendis and Millar didn't like Gambit. Guess it's just Millar. Or am I wrong there too?

I got a feeling that bendis does not hate any character but there are characters that he thinks should be completely overhauled.

It is the fans who create these vicious rumors, Ice. Yes, Millar said that he never intended to use Gambit because his first appearance in that title was not needed and Millar wasn't impressed with that at all. Millar saw that Gambit was there just to be there and wanted no part in the Ultimate version of that character. What's to hate about Gambit anyway? I mean, this arc proved to me that he's a less annoying Wolverine-like character that has a questionable past and has an attitude.

I loved it when he actually beat Wolverine, as in he could have probably killed him for good if he really wanted to. I didnt see it coming at all, I mean, I've never even realized that admantium can be charged up just like anything else thats not organic. I loved Vaughns take on him and hope for him to stay in the series as an outsider type charchter with good intentions.

I'm not so sure of the Ultimate character's hair cuts.

Gambit looked like the lead singer of Toploader, Longshot has gone from Limahl to the lead singer of Flock of Seagulls and as for Prof X... don't get me started on him.

But maybe gambit will catch his hair on fire or something whilst pulling an Ace from behind his ear. I'd like to see him play a more Maverick type role, hence his name.

gambit was there for no reason other then to make him knew and that he is around.

okay, well on that basis why write a whole story arc around him? Also, How would you kill Gambit, or any other X-man in such a way that he was completely dead - never to return, unlike Beast.

Ultimate Gambit has no purpose except to appease fanboys and fangurls. Neither of his appearances were really necessary, they were just there to show off how kewl he is. "Omg, Gambit soooo kicked Wolverine's butt. He's the awesomest." "Aww Rogue and Gambit ::wub::"

Millar was completely right.

Well, why do you have a character introduced in a Universe like the Ultimate Universe? To please fans... There's really no need to bring in Magneto because there are others around that someone could use, but since Magneto is a figurehead in the X-Men lore, he'll be around.

Is there a need to invent new characters fr the Ultimate universe?

No.

Marvel are doing this to make money out of old franchises.

Goodwill said:
Well, why do you have a character introduced in a Universe like the Ultimate Universe? To please fans... There's really no need to bring in Magneto because there are others around that someone could use, but since Magneto is a figurehead in the X-Men lore, he'll be around.

But see, a character like Magneto doesn't exist solely to please fans. He has a purpose in the universe, and in fact he has practically molded the entire Ultimate X-Universe. The only reason Gambit has ever showed up in the Ultimate universe is to simply appease Gambit fans. That's it. He's surved no purpose that couldn't have been filled by anyone else. He's pretty much Ultimate Plot-Device.

I'm no crazy Gambit hater, I just feel that you shouldn't shoe-horn him into a storyline just to have him. Something interesting should at least be done with the character. Or in the very least a good story should be told. I guess most of my problems with his recent appearance are mostly with BKV and not the character himself. Believe me, if you think anything I've said about Gambit is harsh, you obviously haven't seen any of my rants against BKV that I've posted elsewhere.

UltimateCharlieSheen said:
But see, a character like Magneto doesn't exist solely to please fans. He has a purpose in the universe, and in fact he has practically molded the entire Ultimate X-Universe. The only reason Gambit has ever showed up in the Ultimate universe is to simply appease Gambit fans. That's it. He's surved no purpose that couldn't have been filled by anyone else. He's pretty much Ultimate Plot-Device.

This is true.

Well, yes, I'll admit Gambit's appearance was unnecessary but I'm sure you'll agree with me that Vaughan has, at least, made an attempt to bring him into the mix a bit more and rather than just having him there put him in a position that will contribute to his character's growth. From here, I think Gambit will have more of a reason to come around than before.

Latest posts

Back