Gambit--Was there substance to his reappearance or was he just there to shut fans up?

Kinda going back to the Topic. I thought the most significant thing we saw in regards to Gambit was that when Rogue touched him we saw Nathaniel Essex (Sinister) testing on him. Which means Gambit probably is indebted to Sinister, but instead of using the Maurauders to Slaughter the Morlocks, I'd bet Sinister would use him to break out of the Triskelion.

Then there is the whole deal with how powerful Gambit CAN get (from his separate series in the late 90's, early 00's). Maybe when Gambit's not wearing that suit his powers are unstable, but if he learns to use them, the full extent of his powers involve igniting things with his mind rather than Contact, and being able to ignite organic material. But that's unlikely, since that older series wasn't the best comic to hit the stands exactly....

The other important thing that people don't seem to notice is that Gambit can deal with touching Rogue if he's expecting it and bracing himself. I wished that had been explained more.

Also, with the Von Struckers and Fenris we may see the rise of something very similar to the 616 Hellfire Club (which, in it's day, was pretty damn powerful).

Other things that Vaughn built up in this Arc was Iceman's bitter resentment of everyone (one of the character's more interesting qualities in 616) begin now that he's had his first girl stolen by another guy. In 616 it was Polaris first, but Rogue makes it a little more interesting. There's also Rogue's Name, Marian, which fits if she's running off with the good-natured Thief (a la Robin Hood).

Dr.Strangefate said:
Kinda going back to the Topic. I thought the most significant thing we saw in regards to Gambit was that when Rogue touched him we saw Nathaniel Es<a target="_blank" href="http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=Sex">sex</a> (Sinister) testing on him. Which means Gambit probably is indebted to Sinister, but instead of using the Maurauders to Slaughter the Morlocks, I'd bet Sinister would use him to break out of the Triskelion.

Then there is the whole deal with how powerful Gambit CAN get (from his separate series in the late 90's, early 00's). Maybe when Gambit's not wearing that suit his powers are unstable, but if he learns to use them, the full extent of his powers involve igniting things with his mind rather than Contact, and being able to ignite organic material. But that's unlikely, since that older series wasn't the best comic to hit the stands exactly....

The other important thing that people don't seem to notice is that Gambit can deal with touching Rogue if he's expecting it and bracing himself. I wished that had been explained more.

Also, with the Von Struckers and Fenris we may see the rise of something very similar to the 616 Hellfire Club (which, in it's day, was pretty damn powerful).

Other things that Vaughn built up in this Arc was Iceman's bitter resentment of everyone (one of the character's more interesting qualities in 616) begin now that he's had his first girl stolen by another guy. In 616 it was Polaris first, but Rogue makes it a little more interesting. There's also Rogue's Name, Marian, which fits if she's running off with the good-natured Thief (a la Robin Hood).

Sinister doesn't have it in him to do the stuff you're talking about. I would love for Essex to have enough strength to do that, but he's not and will be staying in that prison cell with the rest of the genetic freaks for a long while until someone else breaks him out to use him. ;)

Well it seems that Essex was quite the piece of work prior to messing with his genes and going "crazier than a bag of ferrets" to quote Fury. From the first Gambit 2-parter we know he had connections to Silvermane and him being an Oscorp employee doesn't exactly fill you with confidence about his morals. Most likely he was a great deal more impressive, at least on a mental level, before he changed himself.

But realistically, he's still gone "crazier than a bag of ferrets" and he's locked up. How could Sinister get a message out? Just remember, he's a nutcase and he's hardly even the most rational of crazies.

XTFLyons said:
Essex is workin' for Apoc. so any made plans wouldn't come from Essex but from Apoc.

As far as we know Apocalypse may be just a creation of Essex's crazy head. Maybe there is something more to it; Apoc could be an astral being like the Shadow King or something. But even if Apoc really existed (I think it's very unlikely) it seems he has no more uses to Sinister (therefore wouldn't bother rescuing him). After all, he told Essex to choke himself.

Last edited:
I've got to agree. I still reckon poccy is a voice but he certainly could be a little more but mutantfreak's got the idea. He's not comin back for a while

Vaughan made it clear that he didn't intend to change the good story lines and, rather, change the ones that he thought could've been better. Maybe doing away with Apocolypse like this is doing away with a story to open up a much better one with Sinister. Who knows. I think Vaughan knows what he's doing with Apocolypse, Sinister, and the X-Men.

XTFLyons said:
Sometimes u guys amaze me with your views... yea let's just write off apocolypse as a figment of Sinister's imagination we no longer have use for one of the biggest villains the X-men have to battle who would u rather they throw in there?

Have you read Vaughan's notes in the Tempest TPB?

I can't afford TPB's so i too want to know of these notes of which you speak.

Aside from that, i really do trust Vaughn knows what he's doing with Poccy and Sinister. But i should probably have said that Poccy is a voice so far.

Yes, there are notes. It's like an overview of his plans for the arc and what he hopes to accomplish. I'll put them down here tonight if I can remember.

UltimateE said:
Have you read Vaughan's notes in the Tempest TPB?

I forgot that I read those notes a while ago... but we're exactly do the notes point us in the direction that Sinister is insane and Apoc. (by the way I'm not callin' him poccy ever...) is just a figure of his imagination... if anything I think it's leading us to believe Sinister is going to be the toughest villain they've faced and the arc didn't really make him that difficult so there's probably gonna be more with him...
and if Apoc isn't real where'd Sinister get the powers??

XTFLyons said:
I forgot that I read those notes a while ago... but we're exactly do the notes point us in the direction that Sinister is insane and Apoc. (by the way I'm not callin' him poccy ever...) is just a figure of his imagination...

That's not what I was arguing. Your post indicated that they just tossed him aside, and clearly that wasn't the intent at all. He took a screwy character with a screwy background and "fixed" him.

XTFLyons said:
for the most part the guys who posted in this thread are saying that Apoc doesn't even exist

He doesn't. :D

Latest posts

Back