Green Lantern series discussion (Spoilers!)

From yet another Morrison interview...

Grant Morrison said:
Once I had Doug on board – actually, issue 7, I think, is going to be like Back to the Future, when Marty McFly winds up playing "Johnny B. Goode" like Hendrix. That's Final Crisis No. 7. It feels kind of wild, and you know, I'm loving it, so — Doug Mahnke is perfect for that. The work he's done in Superman Beyond is just some of the best comics I've ever seen. I challenged him to do the Sgt. Pepper of hero comics and he more than delivered. There haven't been real, full-on cosmic comics since the '70s, but Doug just knocks it out of the park AND he's a fan's dream artist since he's quick! He drew the whole of Final Crisis No. 7 over Christmas and New Year with NO loss of quality. The guy's incredible.

Green Lantern is never going to be delayed. EVER.

I doubt it. Batman's return is going to be Morrison's baby, I'm sure. Batman's not dead (or rather, his death is incredibly complicated), which I take to mean as he'll steer clear of BN. I think we're still missing a big piece that will reveal to us just what the direction of BN will be, but given that Barry's just come back from the dead, and Hal has a history of rising from the grave, I think it's going to be an exploration of why and how characters return. The method of Black Lanterns resurrection will be atypical of the classic superhero journey from the underworld. I'm betting Barry will play a pretty big role.

I thought all that about Batman in BN also but then the preview for #0 seems to begin fairly "Bat centric".

Your right, Barry will be huge. Doesn't this lead into Flash:Rebirth?

Awesome. Blackest Night #0 is going to be free too so there's no reason for anyone not to get it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Batman rises from the grave and is given a Black Lantern ring at the end of this scene either.

If it was anyone besides Geoff Johns doing it, I would be rolling my eyes. But that sounds totally rad.

so i just read Green Lantern: Rebirth.

wow, that was awesome
i've never read a Green Lantern comic ever before in my life and all of a sudden i'm hooked. And I don't feel like I need a lot of back history to understand what's going on, everything was explained well without being boring.

And to be honest, I've always thought having a weakness to the colour yellow was the dumbest thing I've ever heard (i laughed hard when Green Arrow made that crack about Hal Jordan being blinded by mustard), but Johns made it make sense!

wow, Geoff Johns is amazing

wow, that was awesome
i've never read a Green Lantern comic ever before in my life and all of a sudden i'm hooked. And I don't feel like I need a lot of back history to understand what's going on, everything was explained well without being boring.

And to be honest, I've always thought having a weakness to the colour yellow was the dumbest thing I've ever heard (i laughed hard when Green Arrow made that crack about Hal Jordan being blinded by mustard), but Johns made it make sense!

:rockon: Another one!

He really is.

He has a way of taking old silly plot points and/or characters from the past, updating them and bringing them into current stories in a realistic and compelling way. You can tell he has a real reverence for the history of the DCU in how he handles stuff. He doesn't change the core of anything, he just kind of takes stuff that was cool 40 yrs ago and somehow makes it cool and relevent in his current stories.

I am going back and reading his Flash run and his earlier JSA run.

wow, that was awesome

Keep reading.

I attempted Rebirth when it came out and after 2 issues I couldn't get into it. Fast forward a few years to Sinestro Corps War (i don't even remember why I decided to try that; it might have been that TOG an Proj were talking it up) and I LOVED it. I went back to Rebirth and LOVED that too. It was so amazingly good. I've since gone back to get the other trades for the series and am slowly working my way through them.

I mentioned before that this is probably my favorite book right now.

Keep reading.

I attempted Rebirth when it came out and after 2 issues I couldn't get into it. Fast forward a few years to Sinestro Corps War (i don't even remember why I decided to try that; it might have been that TOG an Proj were talking it up) and I LOVED it. I went back to Rebirth and LOVED that too. It was so amazingly good. I've since gone back to get the other trades for the series and am slowly working my way through them.

I mentioned before that this is probably my favorite book right now.

How far are you?

Ahh. Sweet.

I was ever-so-slightly disappointed with No Fear. Actually, strike that - it's just that it wasn't at the same level as pretty much all of the others. Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War were A+s, Secret Origins & Alpha Lanterns were As, and No Fear was probably a B/B+.

I was ever-so-slightly disappointed with No Fear. Actually, strike that - it's just that it wasn't at the same level as pretty much all of the others. Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War were A+s, Secret Origins & Alpha Lanterns were As, and No Fear was probably a B/B+.

As long as you remember what happened to Black Hand...

As long as you remember what happened to Black Hand...

What he said. I liked No Fear for the reestablishing of Coast City and some of his villains.

I've been catching up as well, as mentioned on The Twitter. I'm done with the first two volumes.
I read Rebirth when it came out and loved it, but actually dropped the ongoing when it first started because I thought the first two issues were really boring. The end of the arc makes it more worth it, I think, but I'm still not surprised that I wasn't initially hooked.

And the fact that they didn't have a consistent artist for the first few issues doesn't help at all.

what about Green Lantern Corps: Recharge?
Johns co-wrote that with Dini as one of the follow-ups to Green Lantern: Rebirth, right?

He co-wrote it with Dave Gibbons. It sets up the Green Lantern Corps ongoing.

what about Green Lantern Corps: Recharge?
Johns co-wrote that with Dini as one of the follow-ups to Green Lantern: Rebirth, right?

I'd recommend it, only for the great new Green Lanterns that are introduced and of course Kyle Rayner, Guy Gardner, Kilowog, Salaak, Mogo= greatness

Latest posts

Back