Guardians of the Galaxy by Brian Michael Bendis (spoilers)

E

Excelsior Club
It would be good to have a thread about this since it sounds like it is going to be a huge project.

I just read the .1 issue and while it was not anything especially special, it was a good intro (and background on Starlord) and the end with Tony Stark was surprising, indicating that he is playing a role in supporting this team or bringing them together.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be afraid that like with most Bendis comics the very unique "voices" of each of the characters will be lost and everyone will talk and act the same. Going into this, I don't think Bendis should be trusted with team books.

The Marvel digital comics app (as well as ComiXology) has a free Infinity comic up today, the first of several Infinity comics though I doubt they will all be free.

I want more Rocket Raccoon and Grout! Drax is awesome though! I also am nervous about the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie that is coming out. In fact, that is why I think they are putting Iron Man in this comic. I believe when the movie comes out Iron Man will be apart of it in some way. Since the movie version of Iron Man is linked to like every Marvel movie lately it seems.

And I read .1 also, I thought it was pretty good. I just hope it turns out as epic as the last run!

This is one movie I am looking forward too most of all I love rocket raccoon. However the fact that iron man may be in it does worry me a little as he had nothing to do with them beginning. We'll see what happen

Last edited:
This is one movie I am looking forward too most of all I love rocket raccoon. However the fact that iron man may be in it does worry me a little as he had nothing to do with them beginning. We'll see what happen

This thread's about the comic, which Iron Man has a prominent role in.

The director has made it clear that Iron Man won't be appearing in the movie, so don't worry about that. They seem to be settled on developing GotG mostly independently of their major superhero franchises.

The director has made it clear that Iron Man won't be appearing in the movie, so don't worry about that. They seem to be settled on developing GotG mostly independently of their major superhero franchises.

Ok that's good. I mean as much as I think iron man is a great character, I also think he has had a bigger role than he needs in some cases.

Last edited:
And a good start it has. The art is amazing and still will be when Pichelli comes on for the arc starting in June.

This thread's about the comic, which Iron Man has a prominent role in.The director has made it clear that Iron Man won't be appearing in the movie, so don't worry about that. They seem to be settled on developing GotG mostly independently of their major superhero franchises.
Yeah, cuz we haven't been misdirected before. :lol:

Last edited:
And a good start it has. The art is amazing and still will be when Pichelli comes on for the arc starting in June.

Yeah, cuz we haven't been misdirected before. :lol:

True dat so many secrets in the marvel universe

The first issue wasn't as grand and epic as I would have hoped but I think it's a decent start.

I'm still kind of surprised at the push behind this to be big. I'm still not sure the characters are strong enough to accomplish an Avengers-level story. I like them, I just don't think they are "big" enough.

The first issue wasn't as grand and epic as I would have hoped but I think it's a decent start.

I'm still kind of surprised at the push behind this to be big. I'm still not sure the characters are strong enough to accomplish an Avengers-level story. I like them, I just don't think they are "big" enough.

Well that's kinda true. They are definatly big enough to get their own movie but I don't know how popular they would be in comparison to everything else in the marvel universe.

I thought the first issue stunk. The only character that got any kind of introduction was Star Lord, the rest being faceless murder machines that follow him. Iron man is pulled in pretty much by just walking by which makes no sense thanks to them being in space. Peter's dad being "king of the galaxy" makes no sense since we've never heard of him, or at least not since the seventies. They're using him like he's a big time player when he's not. Bend is is doing exactly what I was afraid of here. He's ignoring the last six or seven years and doing what he wants to.

I am ashamed I read it.

But I agree with Baxter completely. All the way down to the made up swear word they were using, cause it's space, and space needs made up swear words! And the whole one line to address the fact he's not suppose to be around anymore. And the fact it looks like they are going to be base around Earth, cause nothing else happens in the universe unless it's centered around EARTH!

Bah! I read one issue. I'm going to go back and read the DnA error and assume it ended back there.

I thought the first issue stunk. The only character that got any kind of introduction was Star Lord, the rest being faceless murder machines that follow him. Iron man is pulled in pretty much by just walking by which makes no sense thanks to them being in space. Peter's dad being "king of the galaxy" makes no sense since we've never heard of him, or at least not since the seventies. They're using him like he's a big time player when he's not. Bend is is doing exactly what I was afraid of here. He's ignoring the last six or seven years and doing what he wants to.

As great as star lord is my favorite is rocket raccoon. Hopefully the movie turns out better than the comics.

I am ashamed I read it.

But I agree with Baxter completely. All the way down to the made up swear word they were using, cause it's space, and space needs made up swear words! And the whole one line to address the fact he's not suppose to be around anymore. And the fact it looks like they are going to be base around Earth, cause nothing else happens in the universe unless it's centered around EARTH!

Bah! I read one issue. I'm going to go back and read the DnA error and assume it ended back there.

Made up swear word huh? Interesting

Last edited by a moderator:
There already was a swear word all the space characters used in the previous series so I'm not sure why Bendis felt like he had to invent a new one.

All the other complaints are accurate. Star-Lord had one of the coolest costumes in the entire Marvel universe and now it looks like a generic spacesuit (and Iron Man's new suit is still awful). I can't believe he suddenly has daddy issues now - I guess it really is the only way to make a character seem truly flawed. I can only imagine how he's going to mess with the other characters.

I was really excited for this and now I'm very disappointed.

Last edited:
I enjoyed this comment over on CBR: "Like going to see a good old friend after a long time, only to discover they have developed dementia."

There already was a swear word all the space characters used in the previous series so I'm not sure why Bendis felt like he had to invent a new one.

Yep. If you're going to criticize this at least hold the more esteemed recent issues to the same standards.

All the other complaints are accurate. Star-Lord had one of the coolest costumes in the entire Marvel universe and now it looks like a generic spacesuit

YES. I'm under the impression that this is temporary, but yeah, I was extremely disappointed with that. The mask, specifically looks really cool.

I didn't hate it but aside form the made up swear word issue (which I always hate, but like I said this isn't anything new) I do agree with Houde, especially about it being centered around Earth. There's so much out there they can explore.

On the other hand, in other books like Avengers and New Avengers it looks like Earth's status in the universe at large is going to be a major ongoing theme.

On the other other hand, if I thought Bendis was a clever writer I would trust him to use a team that travels the GALAXY to show us the implications of Earth's role in the GALAXY or universe throughout the rest of the galaxy/universe. But he isn't, never has been, and never will be.

All the other complaints are accurate. Star-Lord had one of the coolest costumes in the entire Marvel universe and now it looks like a generic spacesuit (and Iron Man's new suit is still awful). I can't believe he suddenly has daddy issues now - I guess it really is the only way to make a character seem truly flawed. I can only imagine how he's going to mess with the other characters.

I was really excited for this and now I'm very disappointed.

Oh srry to make you sad

So now half the team look like space knights. The previous costumes were definitely way better, especially Star Lord's.

Latest posts

Back