Hardcovers vs. Softcovers?

Hardcovers or Softcovers?

• Total voters
Hardcovers are obviously better in terms of longevity, but it's really annoying when really recent stories (made up of only a few issues) are collected in hardcovers, instead of being released in paperback form, first.

Watchmen and Kingdom Come are perfect for hardcover format and I'm happy to pay the extra money, but it's really annoying having to fork over €25 issues of Geoff Johns' Green Lantern that I just want to be able to read for the first time.

I've seen it closer to $10.

Well, lets see here. These are all from Amazon.com

Batman and Son $16.49 for the HC, 10.19 for the SC. Difference of $6.39

Green Lantern Vol. 1: No Fear $9.35 for the SC, $16.49 for the HC. Difference of $7.14

Superman Last Son $13.59 for the HC, $10.39 for the SC. Difference of $3.20

Infinite Crisis $16.49 for the HC, $10.19 for the SC. Difference of 6.39.

Nothing past a $7 difference. Now I know that adds up, but I really think that the presentation and quicker release date make up for the few extra dollars. Its something that will last. I've got TPBs that I bought back when I was first getting back in that are done for, but the HCs I got then are still pristine.

I didn't know Hitler collected comics.

Of course he did, the only difference is his were bound in human skin.

My new sig. Thanks!

You're welcome! Stay tuned, I'll be comparing myself to Pol Pot next.

Gothamite said:
Hardcovers are obviously better in terms of longevity

Friday said:
Now I know that adds up, but I really think that the presentation and quicker release date make up for the few extra dollars. Its something that will last. I've got TPBs that I bought back when I was first getting back in that are done for, but the HCs I got then are still pristine.

What are you guys doing to your TPBs thats ruining them so easily? I've had some of my trades almost a decade and they're in just as good condition now as when I bought them. And consider that this factors in about an annual re-read, 3 moves to new places, and 10 years of shelf wear (which is virtually nothing in and of itself).

What are you guys doing to your TPBs thats ruining them so easily? I've had some of my trades almost a decade and they're in just as good condition now as when I bought them. And consider that this factors in about an annual re-read, 3 moves to new places, and 10 years of shelf wear (which is virtually nothing in and of itself).

I roll them up and use them to beat rabbits to death.

Oh, and I lend them out. When/if they come back they're never in good shape.

I voted hc, but in reality, that 'treatment' is for the books I've enjoyed the most.

Immortal Iron Fist - I got in HC's (and then omnibus when it came out)
Ultimates 1 and 2, HC's
Guardians of the Galaxy, HC's
Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest and WoK (when it comes out), HC's
Invincible, HC's
Walking Dead, HC's

Moon Knight, SC
Hellboy, SC
...etc

If someone told me my comic collection was about to catch fire, and I could only save a book or two, it would be Immortal Iron Fist (regardless of the format... thought the omnibus makes it easy :) ) first - then I'm not sure - probably Ultimates HC's or Captain America Omnibus.

So - I guess the books I'd save in a fire are the ones I 'upgrade' to HC :)

I think if I were to be completely honest about it, I'd say the reason I prefer hardcovers is because in some twisted way I feel like they validate the medium and make me feel like less of a comic-reading dork.

I think if I were to be completely honest about it, I'd say the reason I prefer hardcovers is because in some twisted way I feel like they validate the medium and make me feel like less of a comic-reading dork.

I TOTALLY get this - to people that don't share my interest, encountering a book shelf of 'graphic novels' seems to start a more legitimate conversation than a long box of 'bags and boards'.

(My own dorkiness transcends the medium though, I'm afraid)

None of mine are ruined, but some of them have irritating dog-ears and creased spines. And any of the ones I had as a child are beaten, ripped and destroyed.

Latest posts

Back