Harry/Hobgoblin speculation

break ups to make ups (spoilers..i think)

I dont know if anyone has read the solicits for the upcoming months, but based on them, do you think pete and mj will break up..again (during the hobgobling arc) and we all know pete will end up beating this hobgoblin guy...but what do you think the ramifications will be.....sorry for the speculations, but thats what im good at.

That's what this board is here for, man! Feel free to talk our ears off, alright? ;)

Anyway, I hope that if Peter and MJ break up it will be for a while. If Harry is going to come back in, I want him to give Peter hell for a good amount of time; we'll need something that spans more than one arc this time around, you know?

I think that the Hobgoblin will get away. With Green Goblin out of the picture for a while, I'm hoping the Hob will take his place as his most sinister villain.

I'd rather a best friend be his nemesis than a best friend's father, you know? There's more of an emotional impact.

Goodwill said:
I'd rather a best friend be his nemesis than a best friend's father, you know? There's more of an emotional impact.

True... but I don't know Harry is already a good guy at his core that was shown in the first arc... so if he was really gonna be evil then I woulda liked them show him being less friendly and have a little more immoral behaviors...

Have you read Ultimate Six? I think that pretty much explains where his hostilities are coming from; at the end, anyway. I would like to see more of his attitude change, too, it WOULD seem off he just came around angry and Peter.

Goodwill said:
Have you read Ultimate Six? I think that pretty much explains where his hostilities are coming from; at the end, anyway. I would like to see more of his attitude change, too, it WOULD seem off he just came around angry and Peter.

oh yea totally read ultimate six and when he says (*Spoiler*) "All of you...I'll kill all of you for this" (*end Spoiler)

One of the most emotional and greatest moments in Ultimate Universe History. I'm just saying though that at the core of it all he's not all bad... unlike Norman

That's why I'd love to see Green Vs. Hob at the end of it all... with Harry not making it...

Goodwill said:

The problem as I see it is that they aren't really best friends. In 616 and in the movie there's a definite friendship there, but in Ultimate it's like Harry just sticks up for him because Peter does his school work for him. The impact won't be the same. If Harry becomes HG or GG it won't mean as much.

Well, you've got a point. That would be a problem, except MJ and Peter regarded Harry nicely in the second GG arc. Bendis COULD use this as the friendship.

Ultimate Hobgoblin origin speculation...

Hey all...quick question. At Osborn's lab, the night of the explosion during Norman's self-experimentation with the OZ formula from the first USM arc, wasn't Harry at the lab? I mean, the explosion/OZ had some undeniable side-effects on both Norman and Octavius, but Harry seemed to survive it unscathed...besides some moderate psychological trauma (this is a recurring theme in his character, due both to his own choices and his father's lack of concern...don't forget, Norman now thinks of Peter as his son...not Harry. Obviously, this will piss Harry off. DING DING DING, more fuel for the fire!!) Perhaps, now that he's returned to Midtown and finds out Peter and MJ are dating (#72), even though I'm not sure how he didn't remember talking to Peter about how he and MJ were dating in the "Legacy" arc (#22-27). Whatever, the obvious character motivations and abilities all work for Harry being Hobgoblin. I'm almost 100% possible Harry is Hobgoblin, though I suppose its possible Bendis might throw in a surprise ending revelation which kills all our speculation. Thats my theory though.

Well, if that explosion had anything to do with Harry becoming the Hob, Bendis has some explaining to do... Harry should've turned all Hob in Ultimate Six if that was the case, right? I mean, unless Norman's plans for Harry say otherwise, I think Harry would've done something.

Goodwill said:
Harry should've turned all Hob in Ultimate Six if that was the case, right?

I don't see why. Admittedly, its been a long while since I read Ultimate Six but I don't recall any reason where he would suddenly have turned
Goblin-esque except for stress/trauma. If your going with stress or trauma being the explanation for his transformation, why didn't it happen earlier (personally, if this is it, I'd say hypnotherapy held it off or something) but you could just as easily say that the stress coupled with the trauma of finding out about good old Norm stopped the transformation happening at that time. Now he's recovered from that stress and the transformation is happening.

Let's keep it plain and simple...

1. Harry loves his father and will do anything to impress him or live up to him.
2. Harry said that it was unfair Peter got powers and he did it (not exactly his words but it's what he was getting at).
3. Harry is crazy. No doubt about it. The artist drew it in the kids eyes, he's blood thirsty and he's on the verge of breaking down.

put them together and Harry will turn himself into the Goblin because he wants to be powerful.

When you say crazy, do mean not aware of what he means? Because he's got a very temperamental attitude, but I think he's got a head on his shoulders, if you know what I mean. He's no lunatic that doesn't know what he's talking about...

not yet...Point is, the explosion at Osborn's lab had direct psychological and physical effects on both Norman and Octavius. It also gave them superhuman powers, undoubtedly a side effect of their exposure to the OZ. Norman, who had injected himself with OZ directly already, became this super-strong, hulking Goblin who could throw fireballs from his hands and leap miles into the air. Doc Ock, who didn't have a direct exposure to the OZ, yet was obviously still in some way exposed and affected by it, maybe inadvertently through the explosion, then came out of the explosion in a coma for three months and awakens to find out he has a mental connection to his metal arms...another obvious superpower. Maybe Harry was affected by the blast in some way as well, but his powers have remained dormant. Or...maybe they have already surfaced, and we, as readers, just haven't been privy to the Hobgoblin's/Harry'y backstory yet. After all, Harry's been living God-knows-where for the past ("only?") 9 months, with a few visits back to Pete's life, most notably in the Legacy arc, and Ultimate Six. And those words he spoke to Peter at the end of the fight in Ultimate Six would surely make sense if Harry was indeed the Hobgoblin. Perhaps SHIELD has been housing Harry all this time, aware of a "genetic modification" in him as a result of the explosion at his father's lab, keeping an eye on him and his powers while they keep his father in cryo-stasis. Now Harry's returned to New York and Bendis is building up more motivations for his hatred of Peter/Spider-Man with this new MJ as Harry's secret girlfriend before she started dating Peter twist we got in #72. Thats my theory on the upcoming arc.

DIrishB said:
not yet...Point is, the explosion at Osborn's lab had direct psychological and physical effects on both Norman and Octavius. It also gave them superhuman powers, undoubtedly a side effect of their exposure to the OZ. Norman, who had injected himself with OZ directly already, became this super-strong, hulking Goblin who could throw fireballs from his hands and leap miles into the air. Doc Ock, who didn't have a direct exposure to the OZ, yet was obviously still in some way exposed and affected by it, maybe inadvertently through the explosion, then came out of the explosion in a coma for three months and awakens to find out he has a mental connection to his metal arms...another obvious superpower. Maybe Harry was affected by the blast in some way as well, but his powers have remained dormant. Or...maybe they have already surfaced, and we, as readers, just haven't been privy to the Hobgoblin's/Harry'y backstory yet. After all, Harry's been living God-knows-where for the past ("only?") 9 months, with a few visits back to Pete's life, most notably in the Legacy arc, and Ultimate Six. And those words he spoke to Peter at the end of the fight in Ultimate Six would surely make sense if Harry was indeed the Hobgoblin. Perhaps SHIELD has been housing Harry all this time, aware of a "genetic modification" in him as a result of the explosion at his father's lab, keeping an eye on him and his powers while they keep his father in cryo-stasis. Now Harry's returned to New York and Bendis is building up more motivations for his hatred of Peter/Spider-Man with this new MJ as Harry's secret girlfriend before she started dating Peter twist we got in #72. Thats my theory on the upcoming arc.

That's a damn good theory

Okay, so its pretty much written in stone that harry is the goblin, but yet no one has suggested anything about his appearance? Which issue? and What will he look like? will he be an light brownish version of his father? or will he have his own look?

The Captain said:
Okay, so its pretty much written in stone that harry is the goblin

I wouldn't say that at all.

The Captain said:
What will he look like? will he be an light brownish version of his father? or will he have his own look?

Hobgoblin is on one of the upcoming covers that have been released in the solits. Check the solits on the main page here; I can't remember what month it was.

I know what you are talking about, cause i posted it here also, but that doesnt mean its him. The cover has harry standing in the middle and it could be a flashback....look at how the picture looks...

Honestly i think Bendis doesnt want to have him on the cover so people will read to see how he looks.

Latest posts

Back