Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Holy ****ing **** *******it... I could not be more happy with this. I really couldn't be. Everything came together beautifully, and it worked beautifully, and I have NEVER been more satisfied with the ending to a series than I was with this. Honestly, I think its the best of the series... By a long shot actually.

I got my book at midnight with a group of my friends (including the mysterious Shade), listened to the first chapter with Shade before having a smoke and dropping him off... Then I drove around for an hour or so, listening through Chapter Six. Came home. Read until 6AM, slept till noon, sat up in bed and read there for the next four hours, drove over to the parking lot of the Borders where I worked and finished the damn thing TWO MINUTES before my shift started... I was practically glowing the entire evening, only wishing I could talk to other people about it.

COMPLETE BOOK SPOILERS

Also - Here's a Handy Dandy List of ALL the things I predicted Correctly:
- That Dumbledore's History would play a big part of the book
- That Dumbledore would have left things to Harry in his Will
- Dumbledore Knew That Snape Was Going to Kill Him, and had planned it
- The Ring was already killing Dumbledore before he died
- Snape Loved Lily, and that is the Reason he defected
- That Snape Loving Lily would be revealed via the Pensieve (albeit I predicted that it would be Lupin's memories rather than Snape's own)
- Harry's Scar as the final Horcrux (although I was wrong about Nagini being a Red Herring)
- The Final Battle at Hogwarts, and all the creatures that would take part in it (Although I was wrong about Inferi and The Giant Squid, and that there would be a big showdown between the Malfoys and the Weasleys, and the Lupin and Bill showdown with Greyback)
- That one, but not both, of the Twins would die
- That Harry would be able to meet up with his dead loved ones (though I was completely wrong about how that was going to happen)

This is ALL from my predictions in the HP thread. I also have been discussing Molly vs. Death Eaters ever since JK mentioned that Fabian and Gideon Prewitt had been her brothers... And when somewhere in the series she mentioned that Molly was fantastic at Charms. But I had only expected it to be wishful thinking, and yet there she was, killing the second most powerful Death Eater. But since I didn't mention that in the other thread, I won't push my luck TOO hard

But I just wanted to point that all out and declare myself KING OF PREDICTIONS! Because I rock so hard.

I love that the hints to all this stuff really did add up, but not in a "oh, I totally expected that to happen" kind of way... but in a "HOLY ****! IT DOES ALL ADD UP" kind of way. I was thrilled through the entire book...

I like the Epilogue, though I wanted more. And Albus Severus Potter isn't that great of a name for a kid (I would have thought that Sirius would have a namesake... but then again, Ginny's a Weasley, she probably will pop out a few more in time). I loved that Draco got through it all... Scorpius Malfoy's attendance at Hogwarts really hammers home the cyclical nature of the book... And It took a second reading to figure out that the girl with the french name had to be Fleur and Bill's daughter.

I hope she does an Interview soon to talk a little more about the intermediate 19 years from the end of the book to the beginning of the Epilogue.

I loved the Parallels to Nazi Germany... I Love the fact that Voldemort WON the War in the first third of the Book, and that the second third was reaking of this sheer HOPELESSNESS... The complete shift of tone made everything terrifying, and made it feel impossible that Harry could win all of this...

I loved that Dumbledore's Army had been continued at Hogwarts, with Neville at the lead.

I loved that we finally got the real story behind Dumbledore, that proved he was just as human as any other man, and that he had dark shadows in his past...

I loved that we got more Ollivander.

I loved the underground radio, run by Lee Jordan...

I loved Harry arguing with Lupin about him abandoning his wife and son.

I loved the redemption of Kreacher.

I just absolutely loved this book.

My favorite Chapter was definitely Harry's trip through Snape's memories in the Penseive... I plan on rereading it probably tomorrow.

For those of you who are IDIOTS and want to be spoiled about the important characters that die:
- Hedwig
- Dobby The House Elf
- Severus Snape
- Rufus Scrimgeour
- Fred Weasley
- Remus Lupin
- Peter Petigrew
- Nymphadora Tonks
- Mad-Eye Moody
- ALL of the Death Eaters, except Lucius, Narcissa, and Draco Malfoy
- Voldemort

Hope I'm Not Forgetting Anybody...

It lived up to every single one of my expectations. Period.

I'm going to be happy about this for a LONG time.

10/10

Last edited:
Rock on.

Also, Grindelwald is a pimp.

I fully agree with Dr. Strangefate's post. Might not be my personal favorite of the series but it is up there. There were points I had to stop reading to just say Holy $%^& out load. There were so many scenes in the book I just like going back and reading over agian they were so good

END OF BOOK SPOILERS:
I certainly would have liked to see how more people turned out in the future. And, even though we don't see him they told what happened to Neville, who truly came into his own with all he did this year. I really wanted to know what happened to Luna in the future. She has been one of my favorite characters and I liked the part she played in this book. I also really liked that visit to her house and that painting she did on her ceiling that was cool.

We were never told James Potter's middle name. I have a feeling if it was going to be anything he'd be James Sirius Potter.

Last edited:
List of the Dead:

Not quite as major a character, but you did forget
Colin Creevy, Grindlewald, and Gregorovitch

Last edited:
I like the Epilogue, though I wanted more. And Albus Severus Potter isn't that great of a name for a kid (I would have thought that Sirius would have a namesake... but then again, Ginny's a Weasley, she probably will pop out a few more in time).

I actually teared up when
Harry tells Albus that "You are named after two Headmasters of Hogwarts, one of which was a Slytherin and was the bravest man I ever knew.
That REALLY got to me.

It lived up to every single one of my expectations. Period.

I'm going to be happy about this for a LONG time.

10/10

Agreed. One of the best endings to a series ever.

Does anyone think Umbridge knew she was working for Voldemort? She had so many opprutunities and Mad-Eye's namesake.

You know, as much as my name (VFD) alludes to a series that I liked all around better than Harry Potter, I thought the conclusion to this series was much better than the conclusion to A Series of Unfortunate Events. The following contains spoilers for pretty much the whole book, not a singular chapter.

First off, let me just say that I was deathly afraid of my favoirte character- Luna- dying throughout the book, so when she was still alive at the end, I was exceedingly happy. I love that J.K. Rowling gave her a (somewhat) substantial role here, and that she just kept turning up at the oddest times.
Also, am I the only one who now imagines Evanna Lynch as Luna? Not necessarily the look- although Evanna was strikingly similar to what I imagined Luna as anyway- but more in the voice; I didn't realize just how perfect she was for the part in the movie until I read the book and her voice kept popping up in my head.
I liked that the Deathly Hallows didn't take away the spotlight from the Horcruxes, which really were more important. I also liked that Harry didn't technically kill Voldemort; instead, the spell he shot at Harry kind of bounced back at him.
As has been noted, quite a few people died, although none of the big three bit it. I was probably saddest about Colin Creevey and Lupin's deaths, as neither of them really needed to die (especially Colin). I also didn't appreciate how Rowling kind of "glossed over" Lupin and Tonks; they really didn't get the proper sendoff.
My favorite parts were the awesome duels. McGonagall completely owning up on Snape was wonderful (even when you do take into account that he was never evil, and had been working on Dumbledore's orders all along), but the best was Molly vs. Bellatrix. As much as I hate Voldemort, the character that I despised the most was Bellatrix, and I was very fearful that Rowling would let her escape or something. But when Molly Weasely came out shouting: "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU *****!" I lterally got goosebumps.

All in all, the best in the series, and a worthy ending to a series that has been so long in the hearts and minds of people across the world.

List of the Dead:

Not quite as major a character, but you did forget
Colin Creevy, Grindlewald, and Gregorovitch

He also forgot
Crabbe

So, the final Death list:

SPOILER!
- Hedwig
- Dobby The House Elf
- Severus Snape
- Rufus Scrimgeour
- Fred Weasley
- Remus Lupin
- Peter Petigrew
- Nymphadora Tonks
- Mad-Eye Moody
- ALL of the Death Eaters, except Lucius, Narcissa, and Draco Malfoy
- Voldemort
- Crabbe
- Colin Creevy
- Grindlewald
- Gregorovitch

two questions , not read book (I wont either) but I always get forced to see films. Since this will be a film here go

Does harry die?

What happens to Draco? (the only charracter I like in the films even after the third he was more of a *****)

Does anyone think Umbridge knew she was working for Voldemort? She had so many opprutunities and Mad-Eye's namesake.

At that point, she clearly had to know who she was working for, and what sort of work she was doing... But Under the new regime she could write each and every one of her personal prejudices into Law... I doubt she would have been a death eater, though I think she's smart enough to know who's work she's doing, and just accept it with a nudge and a wink... What she cares about the most is subjugating the muggle born and half-breed wizarding folk.

It was strange how, though even in just a chapter or so, Umbridge radiated with evil... Down to having Mad-Eye's Eye.

I just realized something interesting. In HBP, Marvolo talks about how the ring is a family possession, Probably way back from the Peverel brother Cadmus. If Harry is descended from Ignotus than that means Voldemort is a distant relative of Harry.

SPOILERS UP TO END OF BOOK

So the Weasley family must be pretty hot **** right now, huh? I mean, every last one of them fought against the Death Eaters at some point. Fred died a martyr. George and Bill were scarred by Death Eaters. Ginny is married to Harry. Molly killed Bellatrix.

Death spoiler.

Poor Fred. I wish we still got more in the Epilogue, even if it was just a list of people and a basic summary of what they did afterwards.

Last edited:
two questions , not read book (I wont either) but I always get forced to see films. Since this will be a film here go

Does harry die?

What happens to Draco? (the only charracter I like in the films even after the third he was more of a *****)

No .
and
He survives and, from what I can tell, now respects Harry, which is implied in the Epilogue as Harry saves his life twice during the Battle of Hogwarts.

I just realized something interesting. In HBP, Marvolo talks about how the ring is a family possession, Probably way back from the Peverel brother Cadmus. If Harry is descended from Ignotus than that means Voldemort is a distant relative of Harry.

Almost every wizarding family is related in some way. This was revealed in Order of the Phoenix.

Four things that kind of irked me a bit:

1. About Mad-Eye
Why the hell could his eye see through the Cloak?

2. About Herminone
How the hell had she modified her parents' memories when she later says she never used a Memory Charm before?

3. About Snape's DADA class in Book 6
Why the hell did Rowling make such a big deal about non-verbal casting. . .when it was never brought up again??

4. About Ron
He can FAKE Parseltongue!? Um. . .what?

Last edited:
2. About Herminone
How the hell had she modified her parents' memories when she later says she never used a Memory Charm before?

Baseball bat to the head...... Hey , it works in cartoons.

Only being about 200 pages into the book, I hate this thread.

Your spoiler text is taunting me!!!

HOLY ****ING ****

I can not express how good this book was. Every other book was nothing but set-up for this one. I mean I have never been happier with an ending, as Doc so well put.

If this movie even comes close to adapting the book. It might be the most epic thing ever made.

END OF BOOK!

The duels were all fantastic. Every character was fantastic. Poor Lupin and Tonks.

I loved the final Harry and Voldemort fight, I knew he would insult him by calling him his real name before. I loved how tied together they were. Bloody brilliant.

I loved the memories of Snape. He might be my favorite HP character. It was so tragic and I really felt his pain.

And Neville. I always connected with him. He was so badass. I was disappointed that he didn't defeat Bellatrix. I was so hoping it would be him.

I am so excited and giddy.

The Deathly Hallows were bloody genius. The Elder Wand, The Deathstick, The Wand Of Destiny. Bloody brillant.

Harry's fake death and his re-appearance was so cool.

And Dudley giving some respect to his cousin was touching. And the twins were awesome every

And the line at the end about Snape, was the best in the book.

"One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew."

Last edited:
The Deathly Hallows were bloody genius. The Elder Wand, The Deathstick, The Wand Of Destiny. Bloody brillant.

But. . .those three were the same thing. You mean the Elder Wand, Resurrection Stone and Cloak of Invisibility?

And the line at the end about Snape, was the best in the book.

"One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew."

That was the best line in the series, not just the book.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back