Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Chapter 2​

How could Rita Skeeter write a book about Dumbledore like that without Hermione putting an end to it?

She had a one year ban. that's it

I loved it, but I found the epilouge incredibly anticlimatic.

The only thing that bugged me about the epilgoue was the fact they mentioned Teddy. It was ninteen years later, why was he on the Hogwarts train still?

I'm really bummed about the deaths of Lupin and Tonks.:(

The only death that bugged me was the death of Hedwig. It seemed to me she didn't know how to use Hedwig in the story, so she killed him at the beginning to basically, write him out

No .
and
He survives and, from what I can tell, now respects Harry, which is implied in the Epilogue as Harry saves his life twice during the Battle of Hogwarts.

Implied, you saw it? Once in the Room of Requirement, and the other time in the hallway when a Death Eater was going to kill him because he was helping out some students.

Almost every wizarding family is related in some way. This was revealed in Order of the Phoenix.

Yup

Four things that kind of irked me a bit:

1. About Mad-Eye
Why the hell could his eye see through the Cloak?

Always could, he did it in the Fourth Book as well. It's implied he created that object for the sole purpose of being able to see who is coming after him.

2. About Herminone
How the hell had she modified her parents' memories when she later says she never used a Memory Charm before?

Shye never used Obliviate before. She can Confound, not Erase.

3. About Snape's DADA class in Book 6
Why the hell did Rowling make such a big deal about non-verbal casting. . .when it was never brought up again??

It's essential in dueling. Think about it, did you hear Moly ever utter a word?

4. About Ron
He can FAKE Parseltongue!? Um. . .what?

Ron's been faking voices throughout the series.

Last edited:
Well, I did it. Didn't catch wind of what might happen in the least bit. Finished the book and got to enjoy it thoroughly... That is, for what good there was in it.

First things first - I didn't hate it. I thought towards the middle it meandered a little, wasting too much time on dialogue that is uninteresting and irrelevant to all of the things that should be better emphasized, but the ending more than made up for it, I think. Not the epilogue, the ending. The epilogue was just stupid, I thought.

Anyway...

When we can discuss without spoiler tags in a thread marked "spoilers", I'll be back.

yeah i agree with goodwill, it dragged a bit in the action during the middle portion...

...but thats okay, because there was a lot of good character moments between the three main characters.

I enjoyed how the poop hit the fan right away, and it was very intense for quite a while then, and then it became a mystery, with horcruxes and dumbledore in the middle, and then we learned about the deathly hallows, which was very interesting...

and then the last third kicked back into high gear and didnt let up. and that was AMAZING. so yeah, i was very happy with this book. the epilogue coulda been longer, but whatever. maybe she'll elaborate, maybe not, but it was a fun read.

The only thing that bugged me about the epilgoue was the fact they mentioned Teddy. It was ninteen years later, why was he on the Hogwarts train still?

I don't think he was. I think he was on the platform just to see his sweetheart off.

The only death that bugged me was the death of Hedwig. It seemed to me she didn't know how to use Hedwig in the story, so she killed him at the beginning to basically, write him out

This is just me guessing, but I think it was to show that Harry needed to grow up. No more writing to friends to help him.

Implied, you saw it? Once in the Room of Requirement, and the other time in the hallway when a Death Eater was going to kill him because he was helping out some students.

Was he helping out students? I thought he was just begging the Death Eater to recognize him. I was really tired when I read that part, though, so I may have missed it.

Ron's been faking voices throughout the series.

True. I've forgiven that and the Hermione part, I think.
Erasing one's memories and modifying them may be two separate things. The other two don't make sense, though.

I meant I loved the names for it.

Ah ok. It's funny, though, because A LOT of people on the intarwebz hated them,
the Deathstick
in particular.

And what's with the hate for the Epilogue? I thought it was a great
And They Lived Happily Ever After
. I guess people just don't like those types of endings? And for those who wish it were longer, I disagree. If there's one thing I HATED about Return of the King, it's how it never seemed to end.

I agree with Lynx on the Epilouge, I just wish we'd seen
the fates of a few more characters, like Luna and Hagrid

I agree with Lynx on the Epilouge, I just wish we'd seen
the fates of a few more characters, like Luna and Hagrid

I agree,
especially about Luna. Hagrid, I think, is probably still gamekeeper at Hogwarts. But for other characters, I don't think it'd be necessary.

Do you think
Harry, Ron, and Hermionie spent the next year finishing their studies at Hogwarts? Mostly because that would be a fantastic example to kids if three literary role models became drop-outs.

I'd prefer if the Epilogue
was a list of people like Hagrid, Neville, Luna, the Weasleys etc. and just gave a short blurb about what happened to them afterwards. I need to see what happened to George Weasley!

The two realest mother****ers in the whole book were Ron and Aberforth.

Let me explain.

Ron addressed my biggest problem with the book - it was going nowhere. Most of it consisted of dialogue, all of that based on Harry's speculation as to where the Horcruxes were. Rowling should've taken advantage of that time and those pages to write out and explain more thoroughly what was going on with the Order. To take the attention off of Harry would have made the book tremendously more enjoyable. It was Harry's end as well as all of the other characters we knew and loved... I wanted more Neville. I wanted more Hagrid. I wanted more Snape most of all. That wasn't there.

Then, there was Aberforth. He was throwing in the towel because all was lost by the point we met him at. That was, in large, true. The Death Eaters were portrayed too powerfully... Did the Order do nothing but run? Apparently.

The two realest mother****ers in the whole book were Ron and Aberforth.

Let me explain.

Ron addressed my biggest problem with the book - it was going nowhere. Most of it consisted of dialogue, all of that based on Harry's speculation as to where the Horcruxes were.

I'm pretty sure that was the point, though. It was supposed to instill a sense of hopelessness.

Then, there was Aberforth. He was throwing in the towel because all was lost by the point we met him at. That was, in large, true. The Death Eaters were portrayed too powerfully... Did the Order do nothing but run? Apparently.

It wasn't the Death Eaters that were too powerful. The Order were more than a match for the Death Eaters. It was that the Order lost their uber-powerful leader while the Death Eaters still had theirs. And Harry wasn't a match for Voldemort until the very end.

You think "effing" is bad? Just wait. This is the definitive "Not a Kid's Book" kid's book. :twisted:
Yes. This hasn't been a "kids' book" series since somewhere around the end of Goblet of Fire. I deliberately placed the last three books in our Young Adult section instead of in the Juvenile Room.

Halfway through.

Lotta effing swearing in this book.
"In the name of Merlin's saggy left testicle!" (Ron didn't finish the phrase but I assume that that was what he was going to say) is my new favorite exclaimation. I'm going to start using it in general conversation.

Latest posts

Back