Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

So, I'm a bit confused about Dumbledore-
Since he had The Elder Wand, was he really not as powerful as everyone thought? I mean, he was the rightful owner, so the wand might have been giving him the power he had.

So, I'm a bit confused about Dumbledore-
Since he had The Elder Wand, was he really not as powerful as everyone thought? I mean, he was the rightful owner, so the wand might have been giving him the power he had.

Well, seeing as he beat Grindelwald when he had the Elder Wand, and Grindelwald was the most powerful Dark wizard before Voldemort, I'd say he was still pretty damn powerful. Probably still even with Voldemort.

Also, I think I've finally realized the reason for the inconsistancy with the Cloak:

The Hallows were items of legend. Dumbledore explains to Harry that its very unlikely that the Perevell Brothers really obtained the Hallows from Death. More likely was that they were just very gifted wizards, each making one of the Hallows. So, while they are more powerful than other magical items of their type, their power has been exaggerated through stories handed down through the generations. It's also why Dumbledore says Harry is wiser than him: Harry went for the foolproof way of defeating Voldemort, rather than relying on the mythical Hallows. The Elder Wand is powerful, but not unbeatable. The Resurrection Stone doesn't bring people back to life at all but rather acts as a medium into death. And the Cloak of Invisibility lasts forever and repels standard detection, but not the more powerful kinds, like Mad-Eye's eye, Dumbledore's intuition, or Mrs. Norris' other senses.

Which means the only thing I'm still really irked about is
the lack of importance of non-verbal spells.

Last edited:
Get over the non verbal spells thing, would ya? And focus on the more important thing that should irk you? What happened to the entire cast afterwards, OMGWTFBBQTHANX!

Get over the non verbal spells thing, would ya? And focus on the more important thing that should irk you? What happened to the entire cast afterwards, OMGWTFBBQTHANX!

No. It was a waste of plot development.

And we're getting what happened to the entire cast afterwards. You'll just have to buy another book to see it. :p

I know, it was a joke

And who cares if it was a wasting plot development, it's not the only plot line that was dropped

****ing Owl

I guess.

But hey, if its the only thing that bugs me about the book, that says something. :wink:

I have about 300 pages left. If I ever had two frickin' seconds to myself I'd be done by now.

But I should totally finish by Wednesday at the latest.
Me too.

The Today show is doing a big interview with J.K. Rowling on Thursday and Friday, where she'll discuss why she decided to kill of certain characters, etc., and I really want to be able to watch it with out being spoiled.

Well, seeing as he beat Grindelwald when he had the Elder Wand, and Grindelwald was the most powerful Dark wizard before Voldemort, I'd say he was still pretty damn powerful. Probably still even with Voldemort.

Also, I think I've finally realized the reason for the inconsistancy with the Cloak:

The Hallows were items of legend. Dumbledore explains to Harry that its very unlikely that the Perevell Brothers really obtained the Hallows from Death. More likely was that they were just very gifted wizards, each making one of the Hallows. So, while they are more powerful than other magical items of their type, their power has been exaggerated through stories handed down through the generations. It's also why Dumbledore says Harry is wiser than him: Harry went for the foolproof way of defeating Voldemort, rather than relying on the mythical Hallows. The Elder Wand is powerful, but not unbeatable. The Resurrection Stone doesn't bring people back to life at all but rather acts as a medium into death. And the Cloak of Invisibility lasts forever and repels standard detection, but not the more powerful kinds, like Mad-Eye's eye, Dumbledore's intuition, or Mrs. Norris' other senses.

Which means the only thing I'm still really irked about is
the lack of importance of non-verbal spells.

If all of what you said was emphasized better in the book, it would have been incredible.

This book is just incredible and everytime I think about it, I get sad because Harry Potter, the series is...gone. :(

Anyway, the line about Snape in the Epilogue is the greatest line in the SERIES, and everytime I read it (on here or otherwise) I get goosebumps. Thats how much I loved this series. Incredible ending to an incredible series. 10/10

Epic. Although I do wish the epilogue was longer.

This book is just incredible and everytime I think about it, I get sad because Harry Potter, the series is...gone. :(

Anyway, the line about Snape in the Epilogue is the greatest line in the SERIES, and everytime I read it (on here or otherwise) I get goosebumps. Thats how much I loved this series. Incredible ending to an incredible series. 10/10

Epic. Although I do wish the epilogue was longer.

I agree about the line about Snape. Definitely awesome.

You also still have the Encyclopedia to look forward to. :D

If this'll tell us where the Wizarding World went after all was said and done, aside from the Epilogue, I'm on board. That would be the best part, honestly. The Epilogue didn't really do it for me.

I hope to write a bit more later, when I get more time, but for now... just spectacular. I mean... totally, 100% satisfying. Rowling found a way to give just about every character and key locale a curtain call, and yet found a way that felt perfectly natural and unforced. I was sorry to see some of the characters die, but for most, their deaths had meaning and substance ("good" deaths apart from pointless ones... with the exception of
Hedwig. That bothered me a lot more than is reasonable, I think...*S*

Loved it.

Something that has really impressed me as the series has progressed... the books have not simply gotten darker, in that oh-so-common sense (more violence, more despair) but DEEPER and more nuanced. Not only did Rowling manage to actually AGE the characters over the series, but the series itself deepened and broadened. At the start, in general, "good" people were almost uniformly "good", "nice" and always right... but as the series progressed, and Harry aged, the series made it clear that the fact that good people can have flaws, make mistakes, succumb to temptations, doesn't mean they are not, still, fundamentally and importantly, GOOD people. in the end it is about people in the BALANCE, taken as a WHOLE. Good people can fail, and falter, and have moments they are not proud of, but... they are no less good for it. And people CAN grow, change, better themselves.

And the
final revelations re Snape...bravo. *S* I have talked to a few younger Potter fans who read it a bit differntly... who found Snape STILL mightily unsympathetic, thinking him motivated wholly by an unwholesome fixation with Harry's Mom... (YIKES!)... but I thought the final revelations about him, and Harry's reaction to them, as revealed in the epilogue, to be masterful. Kinda wish he could have gone down fighting, but...*S*

I have very mixed feelings at the moment. The book was great, enormously satisfying, and I feel a real sense of pleasure at a long journey well-ended. But, at the same time, a bit sad that it IS over. *S*

Shadow

PS - Sorry for the perhaps over-enthusiastic use of the SPOILER bars. Even in this thread, I would HATE for anyone to accidentally stumble across anything accidentally. *S*

PPS - I enjoyed the Epilogue. A lot. Overly sentimental of me, maybe, I admit. But I did.

Last edited:
Entertainment Weekly's going to have a feature about unresolved burning questions in their new issue, and I might just get a mention for a question I submitted. I'll let you guys know if I make it in the magazine.

Latest posts

Back