Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I fail to see how that contradicts anything.

The last part does. According to an earlier interview by Rowling (As in. . .last week), Ron became
an Auror
, not
co-owner of Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes.

I like it better the second way, though. Ron never seemed
Auror material
, while it'd make sense if he
went into business with his brother George

Last edited:
The last part does. According to an earlier interview by Rowling (As in. . .last week), Ron became
an Auror
, not
co-owner of Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes.

So? None of that stuff's been written yet anyway. Even she's still just speculating.

I imagine
Percy tried to help the Twins' buissness in Fred's absence...key word tried...but Ron makes more sense.

I always figured it would be Lee Jordan who would end up going into business at Weasley Wizarding Wheezes...

I like it better when she said that Ron would be an Auror... And that Hermione would become a Wizarding Lawyer at the Dept. of Magical Law Enforcement... Although I guess she could be pushing for rights in that role...

I don't like the implication that Harry, at Age 17, was offered the role of Head of the Auror office... Despite his great skill, I suspect there is complex magic he didn't know that would come in handy, and that there is some sort of Training Program he'd have to complete... Sure, he might become the youngest head of the Aurors, but not until he was in his 20's at least.

And what happened to Luna getting together with Neville??

*shrug*

The other little thing I'd like to think that would happen in Post-DH continuity would be Hagrid completing his schooling through private classes, and getting a real wand from Ollivander (I have to say that the one disapointment I had with Deathly Hallows was that he didn't have a moment of recognition that Voldemort was Tom Riddle, whom he knew when he was back at school)... They know that he wasn't the one who opened the Chamber of Secrets, and that he was wrongfully accused... And that Pink Umbrella's caused a great deal of trouble over the years.

(no need for spoiler text now, I think)

I always figured it would be Lee Jordan who would end up going into business at Weasley Wizarding Wheezes...

I thought so too. . .

I like it better when she said that Ron would be an Auror... And that Hermione would become a Wizarding Lawyer at the Dept. of Magical Law Enforcement... Although I guess she could be pushing for rights in that role...

Eh. . .I still can't see Ron as an Auror. I just don't think he'd be good at it. Even Tonks, who was horribly clumsy, had the whole Metamorphmagus thing going for her. As for Hermione, I think she did become a Wizarding Lawyer, when she joined the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.

I don't like the implication that Harry, at Age 17, was offered the role of Head of the Auror office... Despite his great skill, I suspect there is complex magic he didn't know that would come in handy, and that there is some sort of Training Program he'd have to complete... Sure, he might become the youngest head of the Aurors, but not until he was in his 20's at least.

I'm pretty sure she meant he became Head Auror around the time of the Epilogue, not immediately.

And what happened to Luna getting together with Neville??

Blah, this I never liked. It would have been "too neat", I think. I like that not everyone hooked up.

I have to say that the one disappointment I had with Deathly Hallows was that he didn't have a moment of recognition that Voldemort was Tom Riddle, whom he knew when he was back at school)... They know that he wasn't the one who opened the Chamber of Secrets, and that he was wrongfully accused... And that Pink Umbrella's caused a great deal of trouble over the years.

I think Hagrid knew Voldemort was Tom Riddle. He just didn't make a big deal about it. As for him getting a wand. . .yeah, I hope she addresses that in the Encyclopedia.

Last edited:
*SPOILERS FOR THE WHOLE BOOK*

Finished it last night(this morning) at around 5am. I actually did manage to make it last for a full 10 days, reading only 2-4 chapters a day for most of it. This also means I finished it on July 31st, Harry's Birthday.:)

I'm also delighted to say this is the first time since Goblet of Fire where I got to read the whole thing without a single spoiler.:D

Anyway, most of it's been said before, mostly by DSF. It really was great, and the ending was perfect.

Really, I have only two flaws with the thing:

- I really, really, really wanted to see Neville kill/cruciate the hell out of Bellatrix Lestrange.

- I thought we'd finally get to see Dolores Umbridge get her final, ultimate come-uppance after all these years. In my mind, Kingsley sent her straight to Azkaban upon being named Minister for Magic, but I would've liked to see that in print.

Anyway, everything else that happened was pretty much perfect. If I could choose one person to have not been killed, it would be Fred.... especially since we don't see George after that.

One of my absolute favourite parts of the book was whole story with the Diadem. Not just both of its hiding places(J.K.'s amazing ability to plan years ahead with the tiniest of name-drops never ceases to amaze me), but the amazingly satisfying origins of the Gray Lady and the Bloody Baron. That was incredible.

One the the best things about the whole book for me was that out of nowhere, Grindelwald suddenly becomes a huge part of the story. I'd always been fascinated with the brief mention of him back in "Philosopher's Stone", so having him get fleshed out here was just another level of total satisfaction from the book. I'd also like to mention that I picture him, young and old, looking exactly like Malcolm McDowell. He has my vote for the 7th movie, even though he's a Brit and the character is presumably German.

I was also thrilled that Harry didn't die. I was really worried there for a while. On that note, I'm equally thrilled to read this thread because I was afraid I'd see a handful of members complaining that it would've been better if he'd actually died for some reason. Hooray for happiness!

:D :D :D

Welcome Back...

I pictured the elderly Grindelwald as Sir Ian McKellan doing his german accent from Apt Pupil... But I guess I could see McDowell...

Also: You won a Dreamcasting Remake game, might want to take care of that.

Finished last night. And i'm conflicted. I LOVED the elegantly drawn expanded characterizations of Dumbledore and Snape in this. I was more surprised by D's youthful transgressions than i was about Snapes faithfulness to the cause.

But i gotta say, i found the ending anticlimactic. Maybe it's the comic book geek in me, but i wanted to see Harry himself kick some more ***. Yes, it was very appropriate for him to succeed by self-sacrifice, which is certainly core to his selfless character. But the final battle came down to just the one blow, and the book did NOT adequately explain why he won. It was confusing. I shouldn't need the Entertainment Weekly article to spell it out for me after the fact. And even if i understood what was happening, in that battle, as in many others, he survived, in a way, by pure luck at having Malfoy's wand with him. He only put all the pieces together long after he realized his unbelievable fortune in winding up with it. I just felt that after 7 or 8 years of anticipation for that very battle, i was left wanting more out of it. I applaud Rowling for her imagination, wit, meticulous plotting, and attention to detail, and all that. The ride up to that point was super compelling. It just fell a little short for me.

I can't wait to see Maggie Smith in this movie.

Finished last night. And i'm conflicted. I LOVED the elegantly drawn expanded characterizations of Dumbledore and Snape in this. I was more surprised by D's youthful transgressions than i was about Snapes faithfulness to the cause.

But i gotta say, i found the ending anticlimactic. Maybe it's the comic book geek in me, but i wanted to see Harry himself kick some more ***. Yes, it was very appropriate for him to succeed by self-sacrifice, which is certainly core to his selfless character. But the final battle came down to just the one blow, and the book did NOT adequately explain why he won. It was confusing. I shouldn't need the Entertainment Weekly article to spell it out for me after the fact. And even if i understood what was happening, in that battle, as in many others, he survived, in a way, by pure luck at having Malfoy's wand with him. He only put all the pieces together long after he realized his unbelievable fortune in winding up with it. I just felt that after 7 or 8 years of anticipation for that very battle, i was left wanting more out of it. I applaud Rowling for her imagination, wit, meticulous plotting, and attention to detail, and all that. The ride up to that point was super compelling. It just fell a little short for me.

I can't wait to see Maggie Smith in this movie.

I liked the one shot fight. It had a very "Duel at High Noon" feel to it.

That and there was no way in hell Harry could have beaten Voldemort on skills alone.

Welcome Back...

I pictured the elderly Grindelwald as Sir Ian McKellan doing his german accent from Apt Pupil... But I guess I could see McDowell...

Also: You won a Dreamcasting Remake game, might want to take care of that.

I won? Hee hee! I need to think about this one.

McKellen would be just fine for Grindelwald too, but I mainly pictured him looking like McDowell for the younger scenes, perhaps by CGI/motion capture with stock footage from A Clockwork Orange or If....

And catch up on the Roundups.

Forgot about those! Great idea, thanks!:)

Welcome back, Planet-man!! :D

I was thinking the other day, what if Michael Gambon had had enough of the Potter films by now, but then he took a look at the seventh book and thought, "Oh ****, I've got to do another one of these? :roll: "

Now I'm pretty sure he doesn't think that, but I thought it would be funny.

Also, do you think they'll use the guy who played Aberforth for oh, like 2 seconds in OotP for the seventh movie? I doubt it. Unless the filmmakers were told to cast an actual actor for the part since he becomes integral to the seventh book's plot.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gambon play him as well, as long as he spoke differently and had a completely different make-up done as well.

Also, do you think they'll use the guy who played Aberforth for oh, like 2 seconds in OotP for the seventh movie? I doubt it. Unless the filmmakers were told to cast an actual actor for the part since he becomes integral to the seventh book's plot.

They probably will, if he's not a horrible actor. Have they replaced anybody who wasn't dead? A lot of characters have gained prominence over the course of the series and they kept all of those actors.

They probably will, if he's not a horrible actor. Have they replaced anybody who wasn't dead? A lot of characters have gained prominence over the course of the series and they kept all of those actors.

I don't think so, but do you really think that, if they keep Griphook in the seventh film, they'll get this guy to come back and play him again?

He's the only American actor in the films with a speaking part, as far as I know.

"Lamp, please."

"Key, please."

I don't think so, but do you really think that, if they keep Griphook in the seventh film, they'll get this guy to come back and play him again?

He's the only American actor in the films with a speaking part, as far as I know.

"Lamp, please."

"Key, please."

That guy was Mini Me? Small world.

I'd love to see Verne come back to play Griphook.

The whole Flitwick issue with the movies bugs me. In the first two he almost looks like a goblin, which I'm not crazy about, but could live with, then in PoA, they had the completely different conducter character so Warwick could be in the movie, which again was fine, but now they've kept using that character and are crediting him as Flitwick.

They should've just used Warwick with no makeup other than long, whispy white hair and beard from the start. That's exactly how I picture him in the books, even after having seen the films.

Latest posts

Back