Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I don't care how long they make this movie, I want them to cram every single detail into it. This was the perfect ending to Harry Potter. Though I still feel sad about
Lupin and Tonks.

100 pages left.

One the one hand I can't wait to be able to read this thread, on the other hand I know I'll have nothing to add and you guys won't want to talk about it anymore when I'm done.

Information pertaining to the character's after the end of Deathly Hallows, straight from JKR herself:

Harry, Ron and Hermione
We know that Harry marries Ginny and has three kids, essentially, as Rowling explains, creating the family and the peace and calm he never had as a child.

As for his occupation, Harry, along with Ron, is working at the Auror Department at the Ministry of Magic. After all these years, Harry is now the department head.

"Harry and Ron utterly revolutionized the Auror Department," Rowling said. "They are now the experts. It doesn't matter how old they are or what else they've done."

Meanwhile, Hermione, Ron's wife, is "pretty high up" in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, despite laughing at the idea of becoming a lawyer in "Deathly Hallows."

"I would imagine that her brainpower and her knowledge of how the Dark Arts operate would really give her a sound grounding," Rowling said.

Harry, Ron and Hermione don't join the same Ministry of Magic they had been at odds with for years; they revolutionize it and the ministry evolves into a "really good place to be."

"They made a new world," Rowling said.

The wizarding naturalist
Luna Lovegood, the eccentric Ravenclaw who was fascinated with Crumple-Horned Snorkacks and Umgubular Slashkilters, continues to march to the beat of her own drum.

"I think that Luna is now traveling the world looking for various mad creatures," Rowling said. "She's a naturalist, whatever the wizarding equivalent of that is."

Luna comes to see the truth about her father, eventually acknowledging there are some creatures that don't exist.

"But I do think that she's so open-minded and just an incredible person that she probably would be uncovering things that no one's ever seen before," Rowling said.

Luna and Neville Longbottom?
It's possible Luna has also found love with another member of the D.A.

When she was first asked about the possibility of Luna hooking up with Neville Longbottom several years ago, Rowling's response was "Definitely not." But as time passed and she watched her characters mature, Rowling started to "feel a bit of a pull" between the unlikely pair.

Ultimately, Rowling left the question of their relationship open at the end of the book because doing otherwise "felt too neat."

Mr. and Mrs. Longbottom: "The damage is done."

There is no chance, however, that Neville's parents, who were tortured into madness by Bellatrix Lestrange, ever left St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies.

"I know people really wanted some hope for that, and I can quite see why because, in a way, what happens to Neville's parents is even worse than what happened to Harry's parents," Rowling said. "The damage that is done, in some cases with very dark magic, is done permanently."

Rowling said Neville finds happiness in his grandmother's acceptance of him as a gifted wizard and as the new herbology professor at Hogwarts.

The fate of Hogwarts
Nineteen years after the Battle of Hogwarts, the school for witchcraft and wizardry is led by an entirely new headmaster ("McGonagall was really getting on a bit") as well as a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. That position is now as safe as the other teaching posts at Hogwarts, since Voldemort's death broke the jinx that kept a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor from remaining for more than a year.

While Rowling didn't clarify whether Harry, Ron and Hermione ever return to school to finish their seventh year, she did say she could see Harry popping up every now and again to give the "odd talk" on Defense Against the Dark Arts.

More details to come?
Rowling said she may eventually reveal more details in a Harry Potter encyclopedia, but even then, it will never be enough to satisfy the most ardent of her fans.

"I'm dealing with a level of obsession in some of my fans that will not rest until they know the middle names of Harry's great-great-grandparents," she said. Not that she's discouraging the Potter devotion!

"I love it," she said. "I'm all for that."

Last edited by a moderator:
That's all great and Im happy to know it, but since it spoils the ending completely, i spoilerized it.

Also: After this Sunday, No more spoilertext in the thread. Is that alright?

That's all great and Im happy to know it, but since it spoils the ending completely, i spoilerized it.

Also: After this Sunday, No more spoilertext in the thread. Is that alright?

Aww crud, I had originally posted it with spoiler text but then edited it, as I figured this thread was made for spoilers in the first place.

You're the boss-man.

Why the hell wasn't any of that at the end of the book? So much *****ing and moaning could have been avoided if she had explained all of that.

Last edited:
Why the hell wasn't any of that at the end of the book? So much *****ing and moaning could have been avoided if she had explained all of that.

Because it would have felt like she was listing facts off, and it wouldn't have read nearly as well as what she did put in. I think the actual epilogue did what it needed to as the final chapter in the series- let the rest of the cool details come out through J.K.R. or the encyclopedia.

Besides- she needs something special to sell the encyclopedia.:wink:

I love that the hints to all this stuff really did add up, but not in a "oh, I totally expected that to happen" kind of way... but in a "HOLY ****! IT DOES ALL ADD UP" kind of way. I was thrilled through the entire book...

I like the Epilogue, though I wanted more. And Albus Severus Potter isn't that great of a name for a kid (I would have thought that Sirius would have a namesake... but then again, Ginny's a Weasley, she probably will pop out a few more in time). I loved that Draco got through it all... Scorpius Malfoy's attendance at Hogwarts really hammers home the cyclical nature of the book... And It took a second reading to figure out that the girl with the french name had to be Fleur and Bill's daughter.

I hope she does an Interview soon to talk a little more about the intermediate 19 years from the end of the book to the beginning of the Epilogue.

I loved the Parallels to Nazi Germany... I Love the fact that Voldemort WON the War in the first third of the Book, and that the second third was reaking of this sheer HOPELESSNESS... The complete shift of tone made everything terrifying, and made it feel impossible that Harry could win all of this...

I loved that Dumbledore's Army had been continued at Hogwarts, with Neville at the lead.

I loved that we finally got the real story behind Dumbledore, that proved he was just as human as any other man, and that he had dark shadows in his past...

I loved that we got more Ollivander.

I loved the underground radio, run by Lee Jordan...

I loved Harry arguing with Lupin about him abandoning his wife and son.

I loved the redemption of Kreacher.

I just absolutely loved this book.

My favorite Chapter was definitely Harry's trip through Snape's memories in the Penseive... I plan on rereading it probably tomorrow.
It would take me forever to gather up all my thoughts, so I'm just going to say that I completely agree with everything DSF said above.

It was just excellent. I loved every bit of it.

I was appropriately saddened and satisfied with all of the deaths, thought I thought that having Lupin and Tonks both get killed was a little overboard.

The ending was excellent, with Harry nearly dieing. In the interview Rowling did on the Today show this morning, she said that the chapter where Harry is going to the forest to confront Voldemort was the hardest part of the book to write. I barely ever cry, but that chapter had me teary-eyed, especially the part where Harry sees his mom.

I'm glad to see that everyone kind of got they're moment to shine and I thought that the final stand-off between Harry and Voldemort had a very Old West shoot out feel to it.

The action was magnificent. Breaking into the Ministry, escaping the Malfoys, busting out of Gringotts on a dragon, the battle of Hogwarts...it was all great. I can't wait to see the movie version.

And the epilogue was sweet. It's good to see Harry get such a happy ending.

I'm so satisfied with this.

On a much ****tier note, I'm currently without my copy of the book. My sister's friend is going on vacation and she wanted to borrow the book. Now, I won't be getting it back for nearly two weeks. And I couldn't say no, or else my sister would've turned into a colossal *****.

I'm very sad now. :(

This. . . was the best book I ever read.

If not technically, than emotionally for sure.

I can't think of a better ending to anything ever.

My only question about the series in general, and it's a total nothing of a question is
what was the point of Scrimgouer? He basically gets introduced, does nothing and has no distinct qualities, then dies. Is there some reason Fudge couldn't've done everything he did? In fact, his death would've given Fudge a redemptive quality he could've used.

Okay, now that Joe's finished, it's time to close the thread.

He reflected the mood of the wizarding community in general, as they got scared, and outed one Minister for another.

But they did it too late, and the year that Fudge did nothing, Voldie gained loads of power.

Hooray for already fudged up continuity, courtesy of Rowling's ideas for the future of the primary Potter characters:
Harry Potter, who always voiced a desire to become an Auror, or someone who fights dark wizards, was named head of the Auror Department under the new wizarding government headed by his friend and ally, Kingsley Shacklebolt.

His wife, Ginny Weasley, stuck with her athletic career, playing for the Holyhead Harpies, the all-female Quidditch team. Eventually, Ginny left the team to raise their three children -- James, Albus and Lily -- while writing as the senior Quidditch correspondent for the wizarding newspaper, the Daily Prophet.

Harry's best friend Ron Weasley joined his brother, George, as a partner at their successful joke shop, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. Hermione Granger, Ron's wife and the third person of the series' dark wizard fighting trio, furthered the rights of subjugated creatures, such as house elves, in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures before joining the magical law enforcement squad. The couple had two children -- Rose and Hugo.

Luna Lovegood, Harry's airily distracted friend with a love for imaginary animals who joins the fight against Voldemort in the Order of the Phoenix, becomes a famous wizarding naturalist who eventually marries the grandson of Newt Scamander, author of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them."

And what Muggle, or non-wizard, song would have been played at the funeral of Albus Dumbledore, the most brilliant and talented wizard the world had ever known?

"Surely 'I Did It My Way' by Frank Sinatra," Rowling told her fans, referring to the song "My Way," written by Paul Anka but popularized by Sinatra, among other singers.

So...what happened to Ron
becoming an Auror?

Latest posts

Back