Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I agree there should've been more, better-handled emotion in several of the scenes(although I thought Harry and Ginny was really well done because it was so off-beat compared to what I expected, and really charming).... but that has been the case in many of the scenes in almost all the Potter films so far, so I've come to expect and be numb to that. I still think it's the best one.

I also agree that the addition of the entire Burrow-burning sequence was retarded, and filled with wall-bangers, the #1 one being like you said, the Burrow not having the same shield charms as Hogwarts, but also Harry just taking off into what is so obviously a trap for no reason. And then the trap utterly failing for no reason. The only thing it really did for me was surprise me with the fact that they're now willing to do big, completely original sequences, and I hope they do more, much better ones in Deathly Hallows.

You guys are acting like the previous films haven't also cut out huge chunks of the plot. At least this one still made sense afterwards.

Still think it's the best one.

I enjoyed it. There were obviously a lot of stupid bits (the main flaw is the fact that Harry just watched Snape killed Dumbledore at the end and then chsaed them after they escaped - very out of character, I think) but every Harry Potter movie has had those so far.

I am surprised at how much I like most of the cast. Alan Rickman as Severus Snape is one of the best casting decisions ever. I really like Michael Gambon as Dumbledore (I keep wanting to type Dumbledore because I've been thinking about a wizard duel between the two all day). Jim Broadbent as Slughorn was a delight. Helena Bonham-Carter is obviously having a lot of fun as Bellatrix. And I think whatshisface as Draco Malfoy finally come into his own in this movie.

The main three are as enjoyable as always. They're not great actors but they're charismatic - you like watching them. I still find Ginny really boring but I guess that's part of why Harry wanted her.

I missed Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort in this movie. I really like the casting choice as well. :(

Man... special effects are pretty awesome these days, aren't they? Even though they're everywhere now, it's easy to tell which ones are using them well and which ones aren't. I thought this movie made a great use of special effects and I liked how most of them added to the overall style and feel of the movie.

If anything, watching these movies is a fun way to see the different filmmaker's visual interpretations of Hogwarts and the entire Harry Potter mythology, and I like that. They're not great movies and I find it hard to watch any of them more than twice but they're a good way to sample a bit of the Harry Potter story without rereading any of the books.

I've been away from Harry Potter for quite some time (I sort of went off it after Order of the Phoenix came out and only read the last two books once each and was pretty disappointed with Deathy Hallows) but as each movie comes out, they remind me of how much I used to like the series. And I think Half-Blood Prince has succeeded in making me want to read the whole series again now that it's finished and look over it with a fresh eye. So kudos for that, filmmakers.

Still don't think Deathly Hallows should be split into two but I guess it's too late now.

Pretty much all spoilers for the movie --->

Does anyone else feel that because Dumbledore:

didn't go into horcrux details with Harry
didn't discuss the idea that individual items from the founders would be ideal horcruxs
didn't show him the goblet via pensive
didn't explain that the locket with slytherins
didn't even confirm the idea that there are seven horcruxs

that it kind of crippled the whole horcrux idea, along with the fact that:

Harry didn't hide the potions book under the tiara with turnips
Harry never noticed that impossible to move locket in the Black's house
Harry never met Mudungus Fletcher, who can never now sell said locket
Harry doesn't need to break into the MoM to retrieve the locket, because it was never sold

crippled the horcrux hunt even further.

And now with the Weasly house destroyed (besides the fact Dumbledore has told Harry it was protected multiple times) how can their be a wedding? Well, thats easy, the bride/groom never got together.

So where are the Trio going when the escape the Malfoy Manor in movie 7/8?
How is Bill now going to tell them about the danger of dealing with goblins/Gringots.

Ohh yeah, Harry won't have any reason to go to Gringots, he doesn't know the Horcurx is there.

So they needed to split book seven into two movies? Why? they already cut the majority of the movie...

Why not include the small things in the previous movies to make sure that the series will run together smoothly. Hermoine can only deus ex machina the story so much before its stupid.

Last edited:
Maybe they're saving all the horcrux talk for the next movies. But then again, maybe not...who knows. I'm sure that they'll have the horcrux's though.

I can easily see them doing the Deathly Hallows two-parter as a huge Horcrux/Mystery Of Voldemort epic where they discover the memories of the Gaunts and Hepzibah Smith and all that throughout the adventure.

This could actually turn out very well, and have a lot more cohesion than trying to fit all that stuff into the HBP film which was already 3 hours long.

They can get around the wedding scene by opening the movie with the funeral and having the Death Eaters attack that instead. And they win and forcibly take over Hogwarts.

As for the Horcruxes, it really does leave them in a bind about how the trio are going to find out about them. The best way, though, would be for them to insert scenes of them researching what they could be and where they are. It's not hard to figure out that Voldemort was obsessed with Hogwarts, so it'd make sense if the trio found out that three of the Horcruxes are Hogwarts items. Nagini is another no brainer once they discover that Gryffindor's sword isn't one.

As for them adding scenes like the Burrow. . .I really can't see them adding action scenes. I can see them adding scenes about how they figure out what the Horcruxes are, but there's plenty of action in the final book. The wedding (Or whatever it's replacement is) and it's aftermath, Godric's Hollow, Malfoy Manor, Gringotts and Hogwarts itself, which should be appropriately epic.

As for this movie. . .I really have no desire to see it immediately. I'm such a fan of the books that it's hard for me not to criticize the movies compared to them, especially with them removing so many important scenes just to shoehorn in more teen romance. I'll check it out on DVD.

As for this movie. . .I really have no desire to see it immediately. I'm such a fan of the books that it's hard for me not to criticize the movies compared to them, especially with them removing so many important scenes just to shoehorn in more teen romance. I'll check it out on DVD.

It's really not like that though.... they fit in about as much as they could without either making a four hour movie or eliminating most of the character drama. Nothing was cut out to make room for the teen romance, which itself was cut down from the books.

Basically, if you felt the other movies were worth seeing on the big screen, you'll probably think this one is too. It's has some of the best stuff they've done yet.

It's really not like that though.... they fit in about as much as they could without either making a four hour movie or eliminating most of the character drama. Nothing was cut out to make room for the teen romance, which itself was cut down from the books.

Basically, if you felt the other movies were worth seeing on the big screen, you'll probably think this one is too. It's has some of the best stuff they've done yet.

I absolutely despised the fourth and fifth movies. Would I still enjoy it? Because, from everything I've heard, it sounds like I wouldn't.

I really enjoyed. Not as much as the last movie, as it had that pacing problem that Goblet of Fire had. but still amazing.

so i JUST got back from watching this. It was LONG...and nothing happened!

Ron snogs a girl that isn't Hermiony and so Hermiony thinks she's a whorecrux. Harry wants to snog Ginny, but she's snogging some guy in the tavern. Draco has no one to snog, so he considers going into the closet. There's a new prof and Harry finds a textbook with all the answers in it (it belongs to 'The Halfblood Prince')

two hours go by...

more snogging...

horcrux...

A bunch of death eaters come out of the closet

Draco with his friends that have recently come out of the closet tries to
kill
Dumbledorf, but "he's only a boy".

So Snape
kills
Dumbledorf instead.

oh, and by the way..."I am the half blood Prince!"
(let's stop for a second...it seems to me there is some back story there that would have been interesting to explore. His dad snogged a muggle (or maybe his mom did...i don't know), why is that important? I'm sure there's got to be more there. I'm sure it would have added a little something to the story that I like to call plot).

Tacked on scene at the end setting up for the next movie

THE END

Did I miss anything?

I've never read the books, I've seen each of the movies once. This was the worst of them all. It felt like they were trying to balance the darkness with some humour, but they sort of went overboard. At first the awkward romance stuff was kind of funny, but it became old pretty quickly. And after 2.5 hours it was painful.

Luna was the best part. Probably b/c se didn't snog anyone.

Last edited:
so i JUST got back from watching this. It was LONG...and nothing happened!

Ron snogs a girl that isn't Hermiony and so Hermiony thinks she's a whorecrux. Harry wants to snog Ginny, but she's snogging some guy in the tavern. Draco has no one to snog, so he considers going into the closet. There's a new prof and Harry finds a textbook with all the answers in it (it belongs to 'The Halfblood Prince')

two hours go by...

more snogging...

horcrux...

A bunch of death eaters come out of the closet

Draco with his friends that have recently come out of the closet tries to
kill
Dumbledorf, but "he's only a boy".

So Snape
kills
Dumbledorf instead.

oh, and by the way..."I am the half blood Prince!"
(let's stop for a second...it seems to me there is some back story there that would have been interesting to explore. His dad snogged a muggle (or maybe his mom did...i don't know), why is that important? I'm sure there's got to be more there. I'm sure it would have added a little something to the story that I like to call plot).

Tacked on scene at the end setting up for the next movie

THE END

Did I miss anything?

I've never read the books, I've seen each of the movies once. This was the worst of them all. It felt like they were trying to balance the darkness with some humour, but they sort of went overboard. At first the awkward romance stuff was kind of funny, but it became old pretty quickly. And after 2.5 hours it was painful.

Luna was the best part. Probably b/c se didn't snog anyone.
...snog?

captaincanuck65 said:
Ron snogs a girl that isn't Hermiony and so Hermiony thinks she's a whorecrux.

Post of the Day.

Latest posts

Back