Harry Potter Discussion (spoilers)

Did you know that there was actually a man named Nicholas Flamel who lived in Paris in the 1300-1400s?

wikipedia:
The modern assertion that many references to him or his writings appear in alchemical texts of the 16th century, however, has not been linked to any particular source. The essence of his reputation is that he succeeded at the two magical goals of alchemy -- that he made the Philosopher's Stone, which turns lead into gold, and that he and his wife Perenelle achieved immortality through the "Elixir of Life".

Photo I took of a street named after him in Paris, which intersects with Rue Perenelle Flamel, named for his wife(but I didn't find out about that one until just now). It was really cool because we didn't know about the street beforehand or anything and just happened to run into it.
SDC10130.jpg

Last edited:
Y'know - and I realize I'm late to the discussion of this - I can't believe nobody has mentioned that Rowling only revealed Dumbledore's orientation when somebody ASKED her. I realize there was only like one guy here who felt she was attention-whoring, but she seemed perfectly willing to keep his preferences to herself until a fan asked her if Dumbledore ever fell in love. And then she nonchalantly said that she had always considered him to have been in love with Grindelwald, and therefore gay. It's not like she called a press conference to announce that he was gay, and she never made a big deal out of it - that was the media. Some of the reactions to it have just been perplexing.

Anyways, has anyone else checked out "Mark Reads Harry Potter"? It's a blogger who decided to start reading the books at 26, without any real prior knowledge about the plot or characters. It is, if you will excuse the term, magical to follow him chapter by chapter and watch him fall in love with the series for the first time. You can check it out here.

If you read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Century: 1969 this week, you'll get to see Alan Moore write Voldemort.

I hope the artwork makes him look cooler than in the movie. Hmm, at age 43 he was already full-blown Voldemort with five Horcruxes made but should only just be emerging as a widespread, dangerous threat with a personal army. Essentially the beginning of the First Wizarding War. I may have to go out and buy this. Probably just a cameo or something though.

He actually has quite a sizable part and will probably play a major role in the third part, 2009.

I wouldn't be surprised if some version of Harry Potter appears in that too.

I just started reading Harry Potter. I'm on chapter 9 of The Sorcerer's Stone. I hope I can keep with it but after seeing all of the movies I'm pretty into the whole story right now.

the first couple of books are pretty similar to the movies (well, vice versa actually). By the time you get to the Goblet of Fire though, the stories and character development is SO much deeper in the books.

I just finished Order of the Phoenix - it was my least favorite of the movies but probably my favorite book (so far). The last few chapters were so exciting that I found myself speeding through them and had to go back and re-read parts of it.

The books are really different than the movies and the characters are much deeper like Cap suggested. Harry in particular is a lot different - angrier and more impatient - and a lot of that was not portrayed in the movie. I was very surprised how dark it was, even at the very beginning.

My current system is the watch the movie then read the book - I'm doing this through all 7 books/8 movies. I have pretty much not watched any other movies at all while I do this, putting my movie watching project on hold and building up a big queue of movies to watch. I'm glad I haven't started to lose interest in this because it is a LONG process (I started around Halloween I think).

This was my worse complaint of the movies, they never captured the characters emotions that well.

Wait till you read the next one, and see how different the book is to it.

Goblet of Fire is my favourite book.

Latest posts

Back