Havent bought a comic book in years...

marksels

Hello,

I personally havent bought a comic book in years, lost interest long time ago. However, after i went into a comic book store recently i saw how in 10 years comics have changed. I asked the clerk "So, what is good these days," and he mentioned the Ultimates. Stating them as retellings of Marvel franchises (well not exactly his words, but something to that extent) Therefore, i was wondering what Ultimate series is worth getting into? He told me about the Ultimates(Avengers?) and how they are pretty popular these days. I also notice spiderman and x-men ultimates.

So then which one would be good to get started on? And if can, what story arc(s) should i look for? Maybe a graphic novel or two?

Thanks,

Mark

The Ultimates vol.1, vol2 and now Ultimates 2 are here. They are ****ing great check 'em out. But we aware that not only Ultimate title's are good. 616 Spider-man are great, so are x-men and all other titles. Check em out !

First tell us what you like. The characters are (as far as I have read in the Ultimates line) only very loosely based on their regular Marvel counterparts. The names are usually the same, origins are similar but often not exactly the same, groups work differently, costumes are different, often personalities are quite different.

Do you like dark, adult thrillers with mystery and politics thrown in, and a dash of superheroes? That would be Ultimates. Do you like pseudo-science based semi-cosmic adventure stories? That would be Ultimate Fantastic Four.

Someone else will have to fill in the rest of the Ultimate titles, as I haven't read those.

Well, i do enjoy some dark atmosphere, plus i also enjoy a hero or two(superheros). If it is group of heros, i always liked the development of relations between others and how they work together (from the sound of the ultimates are good for that?) I used to read some x-men, but just collected them more since i got tired of the different stories they tossed around, and spin offs. Im also a science fiction fan, so really im broad ranged in taste, in other words, im still trying to create my personal taste.

marksels said:
Well, i do enjoy some dark atmosphere, plus i also enjoy a hero or two(superheros). If it is group of heros, i always liked the development of relations between others and how they work together (from the sound of the ultimates are good for that?)
Mmmm.... kinda. They are sort of more famous for how they DON'T work together. There isn't really the feel of them coming together as a team, the way there was in Avengers, that isn't the point of the title. It's edgier, darker, much more violent and action-packed than a regular universe Marvel title. The familiar characters of Nick Fury, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Giant-Man, Wasp, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are re-introduced and we get an idea of who they are in the Ultimates universe. If you are familiar with the characters, it's a great deal of fun to see how and where they've changed. In many cases (Thor, for example), the changes are very marked. The team of Millar (the writer) and Hitch (the artist) are often compared to a wide-screen movie, a summer action blockbuster - a more appropriate analogy for the first volume than the second, which is much more twisty plot and mystery based. The writing in Volume 2 tightens up considerably (not that it was bad in the first volume), and you find yourself weighing every scene and every sentence for what it could mean. The art was ALWAYS tight.

And the whole "volume" thing gets confusing - Ultimates V1 is thirteen issues, collected either in one hardback or in two trades, V1 Super-Human (issue 1-6) and V2 Homeland Security (issues 7-13). That run ended and then Ultimates V2 started up, and we're currently on issue #7. The first trade for that will be out late August, I believe, and will collect issue 1-6.

Hello, Marksels. Welcome to Ultimate Central! If you get a minute, stop over to the Site News forum and introduce yourself on the Who is Who thread.

Thoughts on the Ultimate titles: Ultimate Spider-man has the underlying theme of a teen trying to survive his high school experience and do the costumed hero thing at the same time. Peter does a fair amount of soul-searching, interacts with his peers, and struggles with being a lone super-hero. In the early issues he fights to get respect as Spider-man; in later issues he's become recognized by many people as a hero, even if some of the "professional" hero-types think he's still a kid.

Ultimate X-Men plays on the team member interaction; a few of the characters are quite different from their 616 versions. For one thing, Charles Xavier isn't nearly as saintly here as he is in New X-Men.

A lot of what we're seeing in the Ultimate line is the updating and re-defining of characters' origins and abilities. Part of the point to the Ultimate titles is to re-introduce the franchise to new fans, or to people who don't want to deal with 40+ years of backstory and continuity. The authors seem to be re-using a lot of characters from the regular Marvel universe, as opposed to introducing completely original characters. As I haven't read the regular versions of the titles in years, this doesn't bother me, since I haven't even heard of some of the characters they're "ultimizing". I was never a fan of the Avengers, but I really like the Ultimates, which seems to be the title most changed from its 616 counterpart.

I work in a public library; we have most of the Ultimate titles in trades, and many of them circulate very well. There are a limited number of "spin-off" titles, mostly some limited run mini-series like Ultimate Iron Man and Ultimate Galactus. Wolverine does not appear in every title every other month. It's pretty easy to keep track of "cross-overs" and guest appearances at this point. This would actually be a good time to get into the Ultimate Universe, as there are enough issues of the four "big" titles to get a feel for the books, but not so many that it's overwhelming.

Wecome my friend, I got into comics because of the Ultimate Universe also. I think the Ultimates in the best of it all. As the others stated there are two trades right now and a hardcover that collects both of them. Then there a new one coming out soon.

Well thanks for the welcomes :)

Anyways, Rhyo, how hard would it be for someone not very familiar with the characters to get into the ultimates? I know most of them, but not to well (my sister and i were more into x-men as kids. So much so my sister tried to write stories, but never finished. I however, was not as into, just more into wolverine, hey i was 12 and followed what the masses liked :p ) So they dont work together? Hmmm... interesting, someone told me that the Ultimates also based stories around the real word, ie iraqi war? Really sounds like i need to check that one out myself then. I do have to say, Captain America is cool, just never read his comics (i dont think his movies counts)

Seldes Katne, Ultimate Spider-man is kinda doing what teh new movies are? Starting with the strugle starting off as Spider-man? And then being accepted by the people? Also when you say X-men characters are quite different, how so? Personality? I dont think i heard of 616 versions, was that the versions back in '92, since thats the last time i even read a comic book.

Also, when you say hardbook vs paper back, you mean that they have multiple issues on hardbook so you dont have to search for say issues 1-12. Instead you just get the hardbook? If so thats pretty cool.

BTW, thanks all for answering my questions, considering i seem to come up with a lot. I will search the back post for more info, since you all probably heard this stuff before. I just havent been into comics for so long, but now my friends keep talking about comics it has peaked my interest. Also i have been growing into a collector of figures, mostly transformers, and such. I appreciate any advise you all give me. Guess i should go to my comic shop, or amazon and start looking some. Thanks again.

Mark

Welcome.

616 is the Marvel universe that began in the 60s and continues today. The purpose of the Ultimate Marvel universe that began at the turn of the century is to draw in new readers.

I'd pick up the first Ultimates trade paperback called "Superhuman". You don't need to know anything about anything when you get it. It's absolutely brilliant and exciting, and self-contained. Its good supehero fare.

marksels said:
Anyways, Rhyo, how hard would it be for someone not very familiar with the characters to get into the ultimates? I know most of them, but not to well (my sister and i were more into x-men as kids.
Not hard atall. My exposure to 616 x-Men was mostly just from the old cartoon that was on FOX. Not the best primer by any imagination. All the books containt the set-up needed so that even the purest comic virgin can follow along.

Hmmm... interesting, someone told me that the Ultimates also based stories around the real word, ie iraqi war? Really sounds like i need to check that one out myself then. I do have to say, Captain America is cool, just never read his comics (i dont think his movies counts)
No. No the movies do not count. And yes, the begining of Volume 2 of The Ultimates, handilly called Ultiamtes 2, has Captain America doing operations in the middle east.

Seldes Katne, Ultimate Spider-man is kinda doing what teh new movies are? Starting with the strugle starting off as Spider-man? And then being accepted by the people?
Sort of. The movies and the comic have a very similar tone.

Also when you say X-men characters are quite different, how so? Personality? I dont think i heard of 616 versions, was that the versions back in '92, since thats the last time i even read a comic book.
616 is the mainline Marvel Universe, dubbed so by Alan Moore in an old story of his. The Ultimate Universe is a wholely seperate continuity from that. The general personalities of characters stay the same, but thats about it. For example Ultimate Wolverine starts out as a member of the brotherhood and initialy makes contact with the X-Men on a mission to assasinate Prof. X.

Also, when you say hardbook vs paper back, you mean that they have multiple issues on hardbook so you dont have to search for say issues 1-12. Instead you just get the hardbook? If so thats pretty cool.
Exaclty sir, the Hardcovers contain about a years worth of storyline to each of them, normaly 11-13 issues. The softcovers contain mostly a single storyarc, normaly going from 4-6 issues.
Also i have been growing into a collector of figures, mostly transformers, and such. I appreciate any advise you all give me. Guess i should go to my comic shop, or amazon and start looking some. Thanks again.
Transfans unite my man. :wink:

marksels said:
Anyways, Rhyo, how hard would it be for someone not very familiar with the characters to get into the ultimates?

Well, if you start with the first tradepaperback, everything you need to know about the characters will be explained, or at least hinted at. It was really more of a problem for people who DID know the characters well, because the Ultimates versions are enough different that is you assume that they will do/say something because of the version you DO know, you could be in trouble.

My other piece of advice is NOT to read the threads here on Ultimate Central until AFTER you've read the issues, because we tend to spoiler the heck out of the issue, and there is much that is best a suprise. But if you start with the two trades of Volume 1 now and pick up the first trade of Volume 2 at the end of next month, you'll be exactly where the rest of us are for issue #8 in September.

marksels said:
So they dont work together? Hmmm... interesting, someone told me that the Ultimates also based stories around the real word, ie iraqi war? Really sounds like i need to check that one out myself then. I do have to say, Captain America is cool, just never read his comics (i dont think his movies counts)

This is not your standard Captain America, this is a much more fiercely loved AND hated character by a lot of the readers of the comic. He is a much more hard-line version of a soldier than the "regular" Cap.

There is a lot more politics in Ultimates than in regular Marvel comics - but it's not that the war in Iraq is center-stage, where the Ultimates spend all their time in the desert, fighting the war. In the first volume there is a more standard villain/supervillain threat. In the current volume 2, it's more like: you are a nation with supersoldiers and you are involved in this international conflict. What are the ethics of using supersoldiers? Under what conditions is it acceptable?

Ah, didnt realize they had a name for the universe, 616, always thought it was marvel universe with little changes once in awhile (different writers and artist giving their twist).

Baxter,

Good info, thanks alot. Good to see a transfan here. I just recently, as in a month ago, started to collect the figures again myself. Lost all my original toys... think my mom sold them :( I am trying to collect teh Binaltech series, cant wait for my Grimlock, and Ravage to come into the shop.

I really like the idea of hard cover beinga previous year. Can help those newbies like me get into it, and catch up for the new stuff. So just to clear it up entirely, Hardcover contains 11-13 issues, or story arcs fromt eh previous year. Softcovers are single story arcs, containing 4-6 issues, but is that 4-6 issues put into one? Or is that the name you give an normal issue for example, Ultimates #1? Or is taht a paper back? I guess i really want to know, buying a hard copy, softcopy, or paperback is there any benifit to either?

Mark

Edit: Ok just read Rhyo reply. Now i am gona feel stupid, but i noticed some talk about trade Volumes, but yet im unsure what you mean.

Last edited:
The hardcovers cover 13 or 13 issues.
Softcovers 4 to 6 issues, usually one story arc.

Ultimate X-Men has four hardcovers (Vol 1-4) covering the first, uh, bunch of issues. 48 or so.

The Ultimates, volume 1, usefully covers the first 13 issues, aka Ultimates Volume 1.

I recieved Ultimate Fantastic Four volume 1 hardcover today from Amazon.ca - its just like the movie, only well written, exciting, coherent and witty.

Other things to look out for:

- The Ultimate Galactus Saga, a trilogy of mini-series, starting with Ultimate Nightmare (available in softcover trade paperback), and Ultimate Secret, ongoing - and much delayed.

I've heard nice things about Ultimate Spiderman - next time I have more money than sense, I'll get the first hardcover! :D

Gavin

Like I said, it's confusing, especially if you are trying to order on-line. The hardback covers issues #1-13 and is titled "The Ultimates Vol. 1" and is about $30 new (ISBN 0-7851-1082-8 ). It has the SAME cover illustration as the first of the two tradepaperbacks that covers only issue 1-6. That trade is titled "The Ultimates Vol. 1: Super-human" and the second trade, issues 7-13, is titled "The Ultimates Vol. 1: Homeland Security" - the best way to tell what you're are getting is by the number of pages. The hardback that collects #1-13 is 376 pages, whereas the two trades are 150 pages and 200 pages, respectively.

For Ultimates V2, there is neither a trade nor a hardback out yet - the first trade, titled "Ultimates 2 Vol 1.: Gods and Monsters" is supposed to be out the end of August, and covers issues #1-6 of the second run. The second run is supposed to wrap up in Feb 2006 and presumably a hardcover collecting the whole thing will be released a few months after.

At this point there are plans for an Ultimates V3, but no artist or writer has been named yet.

Rhyo, i started to put that together after looking at amazon and barnes and noble. I think i understand the difference now, atleast enough :p just wish they say how many issues one covers in the descriptions.

marksels said:
Rhyo, i started to put that together after looking at amazon and barnes and noble. I think i understand the difference now, atleast enough :p just wish they say how many issues one covers in the descriptions.

It surprises me what they do and do NOT put on the covers. I tried to buy the Starman trades in order - but they aren't numbered, and they don't say on the covers which issues they collect. There are 11 of them, or something like that. They ARE numbered on Amazon, though, thankfully.

I suggest you buy the first trades of each title, and then pick up the ones you like regurley.

Latest posts

Back