Hawkeye: Human, Mutant, technology?

Is Hawkeye a . . . .

• Human, who is really good at what he does

Votes: 48 75.0%
  • A near-mutant/mutant whose ability helps improve his shot

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • SHIELD Technology (weather it be targets in the eyes or a 'grafted' suit)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Magic (the guys from Iowa, maybe ancient Native American spiritual stuff)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hawkeye101

Okay back to my man Hawkeye. What do people think he is? Just a 'really good human', a near mutant/mutant, SHIELD technology grafted into his eyes? Somethings to consider, In Ultimate War that SHIELD chick asks him if he's that good and he responds, "That good and then some." In Ultimate Six, Fury say that Norm and the boys are failures and Hawkeye responds "As opposed to us?" and Fury says exactly. Next we look at him getting 'dropped' in his kitchen and he explians to the 'bad guys' that they shouldn't "Drop me in the kitchen!" and the man uses not only knives and forks to nail them, but blunt ends of spoons! There are never any stry arrows anywhere after a fight. Is Ultimate Hawkeye another Bullseye? Any object is a deadly tool if projectiled? If so why not use a gun? Are his hands required to help 'aim'? Perhaps he has a grafted suit undernieth his skin kind like the Fenris deal? Let's hear some thoughts.

DIrishB said:
i chose "human who's really good at what he does". I figure if he was a mutant there'd be some mention of it, just as how Wasp was discovered through her blood tests.

It is just as good to remember that he has been with SHIELD black ops for a long time and could have already had his files of mutantry hidden away. SHIELD may know he's a mutant, but hiding it from the public so he could be entered on the initial nine super-hero team with out objection from the general populace.

Hawkeye101 said:
files of mutantry

Is that a technical term?

Anyway, while I will say that the most likely chance is he's simply a really good human, it's possible he's technologically enhanced like Black Widow.

And as for your gripe with all these 'really good humans'..... well, it makes sense when you think about it. Somewhere in the world there's gonna be someone who has near perfect aim, someone who is a master spy, someone who is technological genius. All SHIELD is doing is putting them on the payroll. I mean, you notice why you don't see anybody with 'pretty good aim, at least when his arthritis isn't playing up' in the Ultimates? SHIELD hires the cream of the crop for this team, that's why see so many characters who are the best at what they do.

Hawkeye101 said:
It is just as good to remember that he has been with SHIELD black ops for a long time and could have already had his files of mutantry hidden away. SHIELD may know he's a mutant, but hiding it from the public so he could be entered on the initial nine super-hero team with out objection from the general populace.

Possible, but I doubt it. I think it would've at least been revealed to the reader. I mean, besides her teammates/SHIELD, the public has no idea Wasp is a mutant. Why wouldn't the same apply to Hawkeye?

I'd say peak-level human aided by technology (but not implants or any freaky tech like that, just more advanced versions of the technology that real life Delta Force-types use today).

As long as the Green Arrows, and 616 Hawkeye are all simply "really good", I have no problem believing that this guy just knows how to do what he does.

I mean, he was an Olympic Gold Metalist, I -doubt- they would allow someone with lumps of cybernetic aiming technology, or a mutant for that matter (since they do know how to locate the X-Factor Gene), to take the prize.

dont quote me on this, because I dont have the book yet...but when Prof. Xavier froze everyone in the Ultimate War, Hawkeye was also effected, correct? If he was, then he certainly isnt a mutant.

So, effectively people have ruled-out mutant. The entry about Ultimate War and Xavier freezing every non-mutant and Hawkeye being frozen kinda hits it. But How about the line from Ultimate Six, where Fury explains how Normy and the boys are mistakes and it is Hawkeye who says "As opposed to us?". And lets say Hawkeye is a really good archer, I suppose that gives you the ability to throw kitchen utensils like deadly weapons. Look at everthing here. Fury was creating a 'Super Soldier' team. What's so super about him. We Know Black Widow is somewhat super-human due to the conversations she and Captain America have in the Russian facility in Ultimate Nightmare. So what qualified Hawkeye on the team?

Maybe the fact that he was Fury's mate in the early days of SHIELD? Maybe he has compromising pictures of Fury and an octopus, and he's blackmailing him? Maybe the Sentry wasn't answering his phone, so Fury had to settle for Clint? Or, maybe Hawk is just the greatest aim in the world, so he qualified for a position on the team?

He's not a mutant. Charlie froze him in Ult. War.

He doesn't have enhancements. He tells Widow that she thinks the raid is easy with her million dollar enhancements, but he can't talk and fight at the same time.

He's just a guy. A guy who is ultra good at what he does. A guy with tons of experience. A guy who is excellently equipped. But just a guy.

And yeah, I think in Ult. universe his accuracy has expanded to general awesomery. I mean, he was a Gold-Metalist how long ago? I'm sure he's had time to practice throwing silver-ware.

Hawkeye101 said:
But How about the line from Ultimate Six, where Fury explains how Normy and the boys are mistakes and it is Hawkeye who says "As opposed to us?".
I thought he was just referring to the Ultimates as a whole, possibly expressing his contempt for super powered people.

Just human.

For now anyway.

Who knows if someone will come along to ruin him like Orson Scott Card is doing to Tony Stark.

Hawkeye doesn't have any powers except that amazing power to remain completely inanimate and slowly decompose.

So far I've hear nothing that convinces me. We are talking about the Ultimate Universe. The version of Marvel that doesn't say, 'just because', or 'he's just really good' or whatever. Cop-outs don't work here. It's realistic, an average joe who never misses in the heat of battle? With a bow and arrow? Bows and arrows aren't too terribly accurate in the first place, as opposed to bullets. Not one of you has taken what has been given to you. The only entry using and Ultimate Referance was Hawkeyes million dollar enhancements line in Ultimates #8. Yes he did complain about having to concentrate, but that line can be refuted just as easily as the "as opposed to us?" line in Ultimate Six. Black Widows enhancements seem to make her, an exceptional athlete. She knows what to do and exactly when to do it, yet I've heard little refutement about her new-found Ultimate abilites. She has references to the fact she does have abilites that are super human, and so does Hawkeye. I'm curious as to why you throw his out the window and not hers. The Ultimate Universe was set up to block out any doubt that could be generated from a character. Hell, they've even come up with a way to explain Tony's ungodly intelligence.

UltimateE said:
Just human.

For now anyway.

Who knows if someone will come along to ruin him like Orson Scott Card is doing to Tony Stark.

OSC did not ruin Iron Man. I found it absolutely brilliant with what he did with Iron Man, I like a better explination than just 'he's one of those smart kids'. Like hell. The youngest person to date to take college classes was eleven. Tony had is doctorates at age eleven. I'm so sick of those 'they're just good enough' stories. They're cop-outs.

Hawkeye101 said:
OSC did not ruin Iron Man. I found it absolutely brilliant with what he did with Iron Man, I like a better explination than just 'he's one of those smart kids'. Like hell. The youngest person to date to take college classes was eleven. Tony had is doctorates at age eleven. I'm so sick of those 'they're just good enough' stories. They're cop-outs.

It's....a....COMIC BOOK!

Why do people have to have an explanation for everything?!?!

Latest posts

Back