Hollywood Stock Exchange

A secret stock i wish i had invested more in went up 101%

I'm hoping hoping hoping that Zodiac shoots up this weekend, otherwise I'm just going to have to accept that as a loss.

Was that Wannabe? Because I invested a lot in that. :)

Shhhhhhh

It's a secret (that you pointed out to me last night)

Heh.

Does anyone else have any stock that's being held? I guess this is what happens when the movie is released or something... how long is it before we're allowed to buy/sell it?

I jumped the Ices and settled in at 6th for now.

I'm coming for you next McCheese.

At least, if 300 would ever stabilize. Geeze. If the movie's half as exciting as the stock. . .

I just finally bought something today.

Dane Cook and Bourne 3.

Still have to get used to this and learn the ways.
If you're worried about 'learning the ways', I recommend you make your active trading day be on Saturday 1PM EST to Sunday 1PM EST, which is when the HSX does not charge the usual 1% commission fee for trading.

If you're worried about 'learning the ways', I recommend you make your active trading day be on Saturday 1PM EST to Sunday 1PM EST, which is when the HSX does not charge the usual 1% commission fee for trading.
It's not so much about being worried, but just that I know what I'm doing.

It's not so much about being worried, but just that I know what I'm doing.
That's exactly what I mean.

Those hours are basically the best time to invest in something, change your mind two minutes later, then change you mind again and buy it back, because you won't get charged thrice.

If it wasn't for "Mr. Hollywood" ourchair, I'd be in first place. Damn my picks are good. Ourchair, meaning yourchair (but not my chair because I have a favorite chair already), we should have a meeting of the minds about HSX stocks. We could rule the HSX world with this information.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

If it wasn't for "Mr. Hollywood" ourchair, I'd be in first place. Damn my picks are good. Ourchair, meaning yourchair (but not my chair because I have a favorite chair already), we should have a meeting of the minds about HSX stocks. We could rule the HSX world with this information.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Haven't you added me yet? I'm first. :D

ProjectX2 is my name.

It isn't all about knowing movies and actors and stuff, you also have to know about trading and things like that, and that's what most of us are having trouble with so far I think. If it was just about guessing box office we'd all do pretty good, I think, although we might have a tendency early on to buy our favorites instead of what will make us money.

I don't think I'll be in first place for much longer.

So wait, you can't sell after a movie's released? Does that start the day it's released?

Does the price change as the movie is out then? And they just cash you out after a certain amount of time?

Am I understanding any of this right?

It's commission free zone right now, so I reshuffled the portfolio.

In the past 24 hours I have bought: Jim Belushi, Jessica Biel, Dan Aykroyd, Josh Hutcherson, James Woods, Jeff Bridgers, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jon Voight, Jon Turturro, Tyrese Gibson, Scarlett Johansson, Laura Linney, additional shares of Steve Buscemi, Torso, Jinx, Paprika, additional shares of Sunshine, Danny Boyle, and Jenna Fischer.

In the past 24 hours I have sold: Aaron Eckhart, Eddie Izzard, Andre Braugher, Elias Koteas, Michael Gambon, Michael Chiklis and Chow Yun-Fat

It isn't all about knowing movies and actors and stuff, you also have to know about trading and things like that, and that's what most of us are having trouble with so far I think. If it was just about guessing box office we'd all do pretty good, I think, although we might have a tendency early on to buy our favorites instead of what will make us money.
I've pointed this out before.

The most important thing is that you are not trying to invest in the 'best'. It's not about the most profitable movie. Or the most critically acclaimed. It's also not about the most successful actor. Or the most respected actress.

It's about CHANGE. All stock profit is made from change.

When an actor has a small independent film coming up after having done a highly promoted blockbuster, SELL. It's just going to bring down his value no matter how well received it is, and regardless if it's box office grosses exceed its cost.

When you have only a $100,000 to invest, spending it all on a $100 per share actress would be silly as it's a rare exception for ANY share to go up by more than $3 a day, and that's only a 3% gain on a $100,000 investment.

IMHO, the closer a film gets to release the closer it has come to capping its potential for positive change. In fact, it's riskier because there's really not much time left for marketing to really actively promote it, save for word of mouth.

That's why I didn't invest in 300, by the time I joined HSX, it was already $100 per share, and the cost of investment wasn't worth it IMHO. That would involve tying up a huge amount of capital for such limited change.

Oh, and I think I'll be going down to third place at the very least this week. One of you guys are going to kick my ***. I can feel it. My gains aren't so good today, and I feel more uncertainty in my investments now.

Last edited:
Well, all that is a given. I just want to know if we know what happens after a movie is released. I haven't had one yet, but Proj says it's frozen. Does that mean we're committed to it for four weeks as it goes up and down? Does it cash out after that at the stock value?

300's turned into my best investment so far, though it's fluctuating quite a bit it hasn't lost me money. How do they judge the stock price on these things? How can one movie, like 300, go from being up 3.14 or whatever one minute then drop to 1.89 or something an hour later?

After 300 my biggest moneymakers are Watchmen, which I foolishly sold off more than half of my stock of earlier this week, and the Nanny Diaries. I just bought some Kung Fu.

Topher Grace and Bill Nighy are the only actors I own.

Last edited:
i ****ing hate bill nighy
Like that ****ing matters.

I have never seen anything he's done prior to Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest, but investment decisions shouldn't have anything to do with how you feel about them.

In fact, a very small percentage of my investment decisions are based on movies I've seen and liked or performers who I follow enthusiastically.

Latest posts

Back