Hollywood Stock Exchange

ourchair

I just joined this yesterday after literally years of putting it off. Has anybody tried this? I'm basically hoping to see if I can really put my (virtual) money where my mouth is and see if I know how to gamble on the box office scene.

It's basically a virtual stock market where you invest in stars and movies instead of precious metals and currencies. You start with 2 million dollars and buy starbonds and moviestocks and keep trading aggressively to make money.

Obviously, playing the blockbuster market is really challenging cause the stocks cost more, but the rewards are also bigger. So I think the strategy should be to balance small films with big films.

It's a fascinating game, truly.

I sold all my default ones and bought stock in

movies
Spider-man 3 (alot in that one)
Simpsons (alot but not as much as spider-man)
Turtles
transformers
shrek the third

Actors

Bill Murray since ghostbusters 3 was not on the site

This is intriguing. I might have to play around with this.

I sold all my default ones and bought stock in

movies
Spider-man 3 (alot in that one)
Simpsons (alot but not as much as spider-man)
Turtles
transformers
shrek the third

Actors

Bill Murray since ghostbusters 3 was not on the site
Spent a lot on the blockbusters. :D Can't blame you, that's probably where a good chunk of rewards could be had, but the hard part is that you need to worry about having the money to really play in that arena.

I'm going to be constantly shuffling shares of smaller films with oncoming release dates in an effort to earn the money needed to make huge investments on larger films to come out at much later times.

I mean, IRNMN won't be out until next year, but I'm crossing my fingers that I can make a good chunk of change off it. There's not much time-room left for the value of FOUR2 to grow, since it'll only be a few months, but I'm hoping I can still cash in on it to some degree.

Oh, and Strangefate, I too invested in AECKH. Because he was THAT cool in Thank You For Smoking.

I have $1 left :lol: but I shall sell my movies just before they come out and enjoy my profit

but all the other stocks including bill murray have gone up yet transforms has gone down. hmmmmmm I still have faith it'll go up but still.

I joined and made a few picks, but I'm saving a little cash and waiting a few days so I can look over the vast amount of choices. So far, I've picked...

Dark Knight (Batman 2)
Aaron Eckhart (I agree heartily with ourchair)
Black Snake Moan (I think it's a guaranteed sleeper hit)
Captain America (way off, but should pay off)
Samuel L. Jackson (duh)
Kate Hudson (that was a freebie)

My username is Dolph Savage, in case you're interested in trades or checking out my portfolio. This looks like it should be a fun timekiller.

IRNMN wasn't moving for more than a quarter per day, but then suddenly it went down by two whole dollars, which was enough to subtract almost all the gains I made since I started yesterday. GASP!

I'm trying not to have a heart attack. I'm pretty sure it'll fix itself when a trailer comes out or something.

IRNMN wasn't moving for more than a quarter per day, but then suddenly it went down by two whole dollars, which was enough to subtract almost all the gains I made since I started yesterday. GASP!

I'm trying not to have a heart attack. I'm pretty sure it'll fix itself when a trailer comes out or something.

:lol: :lol: I'm not worried about it going down I just wondered how they come up with it going up or down. your Iron Man and my transformers to me should not go down till they come out.

I joined, and gave Willverine the friendshipo nod since his username was the only one I could find.

I bought several shares, but mainly I got some of AMOLI and AGOLD

Let's see how this pans out. We should post our earnings at the end of every week.

Nice, my two actors are kicking ***, as well as a movie known as The Walker.

Booya
Yeah, I'm finding I have more confidence in investing in actors than I am in films.

I think the challenge of playing this game is that there's more patience necessary to play the movie game. I put quite a bit of money on random actors and they're ALL tracking positive results.

But investing in films? Not so much. I made a tidy sum off Reno 911, but pulled out of it too soon. I'm hoping to get back in by re-investing on Saturday (which is when there is no 1% commission) but it might be too late by then.

Otherwise, I'm taking quite a hit watching two blockbuster films I invested in heavily as they begin to correct themselves a little bit. I'm hoping that'll change when they get closer to release, which is quite a while from now.

Incidentally, is there anyway to view other people's portfolios? Also, what's your username, Houde?

Cool, I was going to use Houde, but it wouldn't let me, so I reverted to my favorite name for a fictional character

And I can't find a way to search for other users...

Last edited:
Found it

Click on portfolio, then at the top there is a link for my league, and add user names there.

I got ourchair and Willverine added, and I need some user names

Willverine, your username isn't working...

Last edited:
I just joined. Bought a whole lot of crap and added ourchair and Houde to my league.

Username: McCheese

Bought mostly comic book movies and video game adaptations. That's where the $ is *****es.

Also bought me some stock in Natalie Portman.

I :heart: Natalie.

Latest posts

Back