How "Kewl" is it when Nick Fury gets his *** handed to him by the up and coming hero

Re: How "Kewl" is it when Nick Fury gets his *** handed to him by the up and coming h

evil said:
These people think rules shouldn't apply to themselves.

Obviously this is true for the villains, however, the heroes usually have a strict moral code that they follow and obeying the law is usually included in that code.

sskento said:
People actually embrace authority.

This is probably more true when you talk about groups of people instead of 1 vs 1 informal encounters.

bass said:
The guy is head of SHIELD. He doesn't take **** from teen Reed.

Perhaps it is the wrong time to slam cuffs on Reed and throw a hissy fit. I assume he didn't become head of SHIELD because he couldn't prioritize.

Re: How "Kewl" is it when Nick Fury gets his *** handed to him by the up and coming h

Korinthian said:
Obviously this is true for the villains, however, the heroes usually have a strict moral code that they follow and obeying the law is usually included in that code.

We want them to be that way and that's why author usually write them this way.

UU has strayed a bit from that template to reflect reality a bit more closely.

By Heroes in a comic book, we mean the characters who risks their life by fighting the villains to defend the innocents. But that only demonstrate bravery, skill and possibly a high regard for human life. Nothing more. It's admirable on its own, but it doesn't follow that such people have a strict moral code. Beside, strict moral code defined by whom?

In real life, such people could be atheist or pious, cheat on their spouse or be faithful, cheat the IRS or scrupulously declare every income, be pro-life or pro-choice, consider white lies to be harmless or always tell the truth even if it hurts people, be patriots or consider themselves citizens of the world, pro-war or pacifist. And obviously, they can be respectful of authority or rebellious. There is no contradiction whatsoever with any of these behaviors and being a hero as the term is understood in a comic book. UU recognize that a bit and so we have a wide array of character acting heroically without automatically being white knights.

I just wonder how long it's gonna take for a writer to pick up on this and not let someone get away with backtalking Fury. I don't mean death either. What if Fury lost his cool and started screaming at Reed. You think Reed would've been all tough then? Like I said the only reason Fury looks like he's getting his *** handed to him is because he wants it to look that way.

Last edited:

evil: I don't want them to be that way, really, I like my faulty heroes.

But I think that I was correct, even though you make some good points. Most heroes are basically law enforcers or a part of military (basically) it seems. And considering that they don't fall into temptation and abuse their powers, prove that the code (concerning the law) is very central to them (you know you'd be using your phasing powers to "borrow" stuff). And the heroes do think the laws of society should apply to themselves, if they didn't they would be villains (there are lots of gray area characters of course).

TheManWithoutFear said:
I just wonder how long it's gonna take for a writer to pick up on this and not let someone get away with backtalking Fury. I don't mean death either. What if Fury lost his cool and started screaming at Reed. You think Reed would've been all tough then? Like I said the only reason Fury looks like he's getting his *** handed to him is because he wants it to look that way.
Yeah. Fury ain't no dumb***. He knows when to stay cool and when to strike back. And he'll strike back. And when he does...it won't be pretty.

I bet you he won't strike back for that.

TheManWithoutFear said:

Fury did that with Peter in that issue of Ultimate Six didn't he? I liked that. But I also like seeing people face up against Fury. It only makes sense.

sskento said:
People actually embrace authority. Read up on some psychology.

....you mean like....hugging policemen?

I took Psychology a while back and don't remember anything truly definitive to say that this was the case. And I've certainly never encountered it that often either. In fact, most of the people I know/knew, either rebel against, casually disregard, blatantly ignore or just don't give a toss for authority. And I'm not just talking petulant, self righteous teenagers, I'm talking adults too. Not that they're criminals though....

To be honest, I'm surprised there hasn't been more questioning of Fury's actions.

UltimateE said:
The saddest part about that was not that Harry was so screwed up, but that Poor Pete considered him his best friend.

I don't think Bendis handled that friendship properly.
They ended it too early to really see, in issue one or two you did see they were pretty good friends

Random said:
They ended it too early to really see, in issue one or two you did see they were pretty good friends

Harry was totally using him for homework help.

Korinthian said:
Perhaps it is the wrong time to slam cuffs on Reed and throw a hissy fit. I assume he didn't become head of SHIELD because he couldn't prioritize.

That's a good point, but it's not what I think should've happened. I think, when Fury says, "Reed, you're doing this" and Reed starts to tell Fury to "**** off", Reed doesn't make it through the sentence. As he starts yelling at Fury, Fury just *looks* at him, and Reed trails off and backs down mid-rant, without Fury saying or doing anything.

I just don't believe Fury can't keep teen-Reed in line.

I guess you are harder to faze when you've fought giant underground monsters and zombie super heroes (gay).

TheManWithoutFear said:
What if Fury lost his cool and started screaming at Reed. ... (T)he only reason Fury looks like he's getting his *** handed to him is because he wants it to look that way.

I'm not 100% sold on how you said it, but I'm pretty sure this is more-or-less it. Fury tries to look hip, charismatic and easy-going — but remember when bruce banner and hank pym are talking and fury's listening in? Remember that look on his face that fills a whole page? THAT'S Nick Fury. STONE COLD.
He's not going to lose his cool around Reed Richards. He's just NOT going to, and if he did, it would be a fake loss of cool designed to get some sort of desired response. And if RR has a valid point - like he did in UE - Fury's not going to get in his face just to get in his face.
Nick Fury plays it cool — til the Triskellion falls over and he gets an arm hacked off while fighting an army of foreign supermen. At that point all bets may well be off...

plungingforward said:
I'm not 100% sold on how you said it, but I'm pretty sure this is more-or-less it. Fury tries to look hip, charismatic and easy-going — but remember when bruce banner and hank pym are talking and fury's listening in? Remember that look on his face that fills a whole page? THAT'S Nick Fury. STONE COLD.
He's not going to lose his cool around Reed Richards. He's just NOT going to, and if he did, it would be a fake loss of cool designed to get some sort of desired response. And if RR has a valid point - like he did in UE - Fury's not going to get in his face just to get in his face.
Nick Fury plays it cool — til the Triskellion falls over and he gets an arm hacked off while fighting an army of foreign supermen. At that point all bets may well be off...
WEEEEELCOME!!! :D

oh, yeah, hi everybody.

plungingforward said:
oh, yeah, hi everybody.
Hi.

Whale-buying is right around the corner. Follow me, please. :)

plungingforward said:
but remember when bruce banner and hank pym are talking and fury's listening in? Remember that look on his face that fills a whole page? THAT'S Nick Fury. STONE COLD.

Yeah, real hard to maintain your cool while staring at a video screen.

Hey, you should see my face as I am alone in my room. No emotion whatsoever. STONE COLD!

Face it, Fury is tough but he's not that laid back. He's briefly lost his temper often enough now that you'll have to accept that it's part of his character.

Last edited:

E.Vi.L. said:
Hey, you should see my face as I am alone in my room. No emotion whatsoever. STONE COLD!

Face it, Fury is tough but he's not that laid back. He's briefly lost his temper often enough now that you'll have to accept that it's part of his character.

My point wasn't that he was emotionless, it was that he was very, very different than his public "happy guy" persona. He's a COLD man trying to appear Jovial - sometimes succeeding better than other times. He looked like a guy with a big, grim secret plan and a big, grim secret job to do. He likes to pretend, maybe even think, he carries his burdens lightly - but the face behind all of it, when he's by himself mulling over the master plan, is THAT face. Not just a "lost his temper briefly" face. The term I used was STONE COLD ... not cool, COLD. Deep down, Fury's a very nasty fellow, I'm sure.
That's like the day you see a person you thought was your friend giving you that look that says "I'm not your friend at all..."

TheManWithoutFear said:
Not all adults are right. But the ones who are carefully picked to be the head of America's number 1 security force usually would know what he's talking about.
*glances over in the direction of Rumsfeld and Ridge*

*coughs*

plungingforward said:
My point wasn't that he was emotionless, it was that he was very, very different than his public "happy guy" persona. He's a COLD man trying to appear Jovial - sometimes succeeding better than other times. He looked like a guy with a big, grim secret plan and a big, grim secret job to do. He likes to pretend, maybe even think, he carries his burdens lightly - but the face behind all of it, when he's by himself mulling over the master plan, is THAT face. Not just a "lost his temper briefly" face. The term I used was STONE COLD ... not cool, COLD. Deep down, Fury's a very nasty fellow, I'm sure.
That's like the day you see a person you thought was your friend giving you that look that says "I'm not your friend at all..."

I agree with all of it.

But none of it has anything whatsoever to do with Fury being able to retain or not his cool when challenged by a punk kid like Reed (or Peter).

You remember that what we are debating originally is whether or not it was in character for Fury to Snap at Reed like that and then complied with his demands (Getting his *** handed to him was the eaxct terminology used, I believe)? And whether or not shouting and then backing off was a deliberate decision like MWOF suggested and you sort of approved?

Reread my post in that perspective.

Whether or not he's an evil jerk with a secret agenda underneath it all has nothing to do with it. I say there is nothing unusual for Fury to be aggravated at Reed's attitude. And it's not the first time he snaps at the target of his irritation. He did the same to Peter in Ultimate Six. And there is no Master plan in backing off and acceding to Reed's demand. He really wanted Reed closer at hand. But he was shown that power is a fluid notion ; he was the one who needed Reed, not the other way around. Since arresting the world's best scientific mind with Gah Lak Tus on the horizon was inconceivable, he had the back off. He had no choice.

Reed got his way because he had more leverage than Fury in this situation. And Fury sure as hell wasn't faking his irritation over it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back