How many members here are Christians?

With which you can buy more decorations for December. :D

On a somewhat different topic: given the nature of the discussion on this thread, I think it might be a good idea to move it to the Lounge, since we're basically talking about various aspects of Christianity and how it's perceived and practiced in real life, not about how it's potrayed in comcs. Perhaps a general "Religion in Comics" thread would be more useful in this forum.

If there aren't any objections, I'll move this later today.

On a somewhat different topic: given the nature of the discussion on this thread, I think it might be a good idea to move it to the Lounge, since we're basically talking about various aspects of Christianity and how it's perceived and practiced in real life, not about how it's potrayed in comcs. Perhaps a general "Religion in Comics" thread would be more useful in this forum.

Sounds good.

I got this one. I didn't even notice where it was.

Bingo.

Well, first it was a "seeking fellow Christians" thread, and then I suspect it was merged with a "Christians in Comics" thread, so it's been searching for identity. :D We'll see about putting up a more general thread on the subject in the General Comics Discussion forum.

One request I have here: please tread lightly in this thread. Keep in mind that you may find somene's religious practices amusing or irritating, but to many of us, the beliefs stated here are very personal and meaningful. That, along with the fact that no one really has "The Answer", makes this a loaded topic with a lot of potential for disaster. A little sensitivity will go a long way.

Well, first it was a "seeking fellow Christians" thread, and then I suspect it was merged with a "Christians in Comics" thread, so it's been searching for identity.

That's exactly what happened.

One request I have here: please tread lightly in this thread. Keep in mind that you may find somene's religious practices amusing or irritating, but to many of us, the beliefs stated here are very personal and meaningful. That, along with the fact that no one really has "The Answer", makes this a loaded topic with a lot of potential for disaster. A little sensitivity will go a long way.

And we have this entire thread to show exactly how not to conduct this discussion from now on! :D

Personally I'm Lutheran. All Christians are pretty much the same to me, Catholics, Methodists, whatever. I think Chris Rock put it best in Dogma, "people shouldn't have a belief system, they should have a really good idea." Idon't know, that's my two cents.

How does Christianity even work? I get the Protestant/Catholic thing... sort of... but I don't understand stuff like Mormons or Lutherans or Methodists.

Lutherans are Protestants. It's all pretty much the same but with a few changes made here and there. It's like how women aren't priests in the Catholic church (unless they changed it) but my church has a husband and wife pastor team. My church is pretty loose on all of the hard core rules.

The Eastern Orthodox Church would not agree to the Primacy of the Pope in Rome over the Patriarch in Byzantium. There was also disagreements about the use of idols.

Protestant Churches split off from the Roman Catholics when they decided that they wanted to adhere more closely to the bible than to tradition... These churches are where modern day Lutherans and Methodists are derived. Modern day Born-Again Christians have descended from the Anabaptist sects which rejected infant Baptism... These churches sent missionaries around the world and the religions formed and reformed... Any non-Catholic, non Eastern-Orthodox Christian church is a Protestant Church. Some are Evangelical, some aren't.

The pope wouldnt let Henry VIII get divorced, so he decided to create the Anglican Church (known as Episcopalean outside of the ). The Episcopals are the closest in their beliefs to the Catholic Church... Sometimes jokingly referred to as Diet Catholicism...

Mormons believe that Jesus stopped by America on the Way to Heaven, and that there was a Tribe of Israel around here who left their writings, and that Joseph Smith found them in the nineteenth century, and that's what became the Book of Mormon.

If I say anything else about the mormons I will probably get de-modded and exiled from the site.

Mormons believe that Jesus stopped by America on the Way to Heaven, and that there was a Tribe of Israel around here who left their writings, and that Joseph Smith found them in the nineteenth century, and that's what became the Book of Mormon.

If I say anything else about the mormons I will probably get de-modded and exiled from the site.

They live in Utah, have to wear special underwear, can't drink tea, coffee, or booze, don't like boobs, and sometimes have lots of wives.

Say what!?

I mean I don't know my mormon history that well. But technically I am mormon and have been to my fair share of church before.

Any questions, ask away.

I mean, i've done a fair amount of research on the Mormon Church too... Did I get anything wrong in my mini-summary?

The Eastern Orthodox Church would not agree to the Primacy of the Pope in Rome over the Patriarch in Byzantium. There was also disagreements about the use of idols.

Protestant Churches split off from the Roman Catholics when they decided that they wanted to adhere more closely to the bible than to tradition... These churches are where modern day Lutherans and Methodists are derived. Modern day Born-Again Christians have descended from the Anabaptist sects which rejected infant Baptism... These churches sent missionaries around the world and the religions formed and reformed... Any non-Catholic, non Eastern-Orthodox Christian church is a Protestant Church. Some are Evangelical, some aren't.

The pope wouldnt let Henry VIII get divorced, so he decided to create the Anglican Church (known as Episcopalean outside of the ). The Episcopals are the closest in their beliefs to the Catholic Church... Sometimes jokingly referred to as Diet Catholicism...

What he said.

I mean, i've done a fair amount of research on the Mormon Church too... Did I get anything wrong in my mini-summary?

I'm not sure about the believing that Jesus stopped here, but I may be wrong. I thought he found the plates and someone else just bought them here a lot earlier.

Zombipanda said:
They live in Utah, have to wear special underwear, can't drink tea, coffee, or booze, don't like boobs, and sometimes have lots of wives.

That's not all true. The special underwear thing, I never heard that at all. Tea and Coffee are iffy. Some think you shouldn't drink caffeine at all. Which is not bad considering how bad it can be for you, but it's not a rule. More of a guideline.

No booze, drugs is a definitive. And no premarital sex is a huge rule.

No mormon is allowed to have more than one wive. That was erased back in the early church days. Like dozens of years ago.

There are a group of polygamist's that live in thier own special city. Which I couldn't describe how crazy these people are or how they look. There town is equally scary. I delivered furniture there.

When it comes down to it the Mormon church is basically the exact same as most other churched I seen, just with different systems and small differences.

They also have grown a lot less strict in the last decade. The older people are the scary Mormons. The bad thing about some of them are that they are so judgmental. They always thing they are better that you. A lot of people I know absolutly hate Mormons. But I have really good friends who are active Mormons, went on missions and everything. Most of what you hear is probaly and rumor or exaggeration.

Last edited:
toggy said:
That's not all true. The special underwear thing, I never heard that at all. Tea and Coffee are iffy. Some think you shouldn't drink caffeine at all. Which is not bad considering how bad it can be for you, but it's not a rule. More of a guideline.

No booze, drugs is a definitive. And no premarital sex is a huge rule.

No mormon is allowed to have more than one wive. That was erased back in the early church days. Like dozens of years ago.

There are a group of polygamist's that live in thier own special city. Which I couldn't describe how crazy these people are or how they look. There town is equally scary. I delivered furniture there.

When it comes down to it the Mormon church is basically the exact same as most other churched I seen, just with different systems and small differences

I was just being hilarious. My second best friend when I was growing up was a Mormon. I don't think he is anymore, but he was the whole time we were growing up together. They had to wear special underwear, but I don't know the specifics of it. Maybe it was a modesty thing, and they weren't allowed to wear boxers? Honestly, I don't know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back