How many members here are Christians?

Yes, Mavericker's gone for good this time. Thank you, Dr. Strangefate.

Compound, you posted a message several pages back about Vatican II and Catholic Church practices. I promise I'll post a reply in the next day or so, but I have to keep editing my remarks. I'm trying to keep the message under three pages. (Because honestly, no one wants to read that much of my take on the subject. Besides, I want to avoid turning this thread into the "Roman Catholic Gripe Subforum.)

How many threads were started with "How Many Members Here...?" lol.

Anyway, on a more on-topic note, I am in fact a card-carrying Catholic.

I don't have a problem with Christian comics-as long as there are portraying Christians the right way, and it doesn't conflict with the Word of God and what it says.

I have a problem when people made things like:

Evangelyne
Preacher
Jesus vs. Zombies
Oh boy...
I think those types of comics are produced by atheists, for atheists. I think that's the reason why tv shows like Morel Orel exist.
...*sigh*...
Dogma is a sacrilegous farce about the Catholic Church, that Kevin Smith directed.

Kevin Smith-a man who uses the F-word 106 times in this film.
...Here it comes...
I think "darn you" is a euphanism for "d**m you".

You do you keep bringing up the Catholics?

I'm not a Catholic-Catholics are Pagans and idol-worshipers. No where in the Bible does it say that Christians are to worship the Virgin Mary.

It is written in Psalms 97:7:

Let all those be ashamed who serve graven images, Who boast themselves of idols; Worship Him, all you gods.
...And he's gone.
I, too, was raised Catholic.

However, unlike McCheese, I don't find it offensive to be called a "pagan" by a narrow-minded fundamentalist like Mavericker.

In fact, the Second Vatican Council (Vatican II) -- which Seldes brought up and I commented on earlier in this thread -- went a long way towards accepting so-called "pagan" rituals, or folk Catholicism (e.g nature worship, the use of totems) as acceptable ways of practicing the Apostolic Tradition -- assuming, of course, it does not contradict or warp the 'mainstream' of Scripture and Tradition, in its teachings. So, if anything, I have nothing but respect for "pagans".
Aren't most Christian "traditions" derrived from "pagan" beliefs?

I believe Christmas is just a Roman winter festival with the story of Jesus' birth attached to it. (If that episode of "The Boondocks" is correct...) Which would technically mean that all Christians - Catholic and Protestant - practice "pagan rituals". :p
Um, yeah, technically, we *do* worship her -- every time we pray the "Hail Mary", or say the Rosary: "... Blessed are you amongst all women/ And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus/ Holy Mary, mother of God/ Pray for us sinners"... "Holy" and "Blessed" are undisputably words of worship.

"Worshipping" her, I should point out, does not mean we (i.e. Catholics, in general) regard her as divine. We believe her Virgin Mother status was an act of God's intercession, and thus regard her as the sacred vessel of God's human incarnation. To me, personally, that's enough reason to have a special prayer dedicated to her, and to seek her help (or, to use the technical term, intercession) in letting our prayers/devotions reach the Lord.
I suppose it's similar to how Muhammed is worshipped in Islam, but only as a great prophet and not as God himself.
She's way cool. My next door neighbor dated her in middle school.
[MOONEY'S SACRILIGE OF THE DAY]Did he get to third base?[/MOONEY'S SACRILIGE OF THE DAY]
And that's over.
I'm not going to celebrate Mavericker's perma-ban (Well, at least not here. :wink: ) but I think most of us here are very...supportive of this decision.

I'm also not going to try and start some big argument about this, especially because this is entirely the wrong place, but I'd like to point out that this is quite honestly overdue. I respect the mods' ability to make decisions, but I think that Mavericker got away with a lot more than most people have for a lot longer than most people get. I'm still a bit baffled by why this didn't happen sooner, but I suppose that we should just put this mess behind us and relegate it to the halls of obscure UC reference, in order to be called upon to confuse the n00bs of the future...

...Aaand, we're back on topic.

For quite a while now I've thought that Buddhism and Christianity, in terms of core beliefs, seem to be very similar religions. Lately I've become really interested in the idea that Christianity may have been heavily influenced by Buddhist beliefs, which is backed up by some surprisingly strong evidence.

For one thing, there's the idea that Jesus may have actually travelled East, accounting for some of those missing 18 years in the gospels and maybe explaining why they were taken out. There are even references to Jesus in Buddhist writings dating back to the first century. Buddhism shares a lot of structural and symbolic similarities with Christian tradition, to the point that missionaries who encountered Buddhists for the first time thought that Satan was trying to fool them with a "knock-off" version of Catholicism.

Aren't most Christian "traditions" derrived from "pagan" beliefs?

I believe Christmas is just a Roman winter festival with the story of Jesus' birth attached to it. (If that episode of "The Boondocks" is correct...) Which would technically mean that all Christians - Catholic and Protestant - practice "pagan rituals". :p

Yeah, the dates for Easter and Christmas were both derived from pagan holidays. I believe that this was in order to make the pagans have an easier time with conversion to Christianity.

I have nothing to add to this discussion, except here's a picture of Cubs centerfielder Angel Pagan meeting famed televangelist President Bush:

angel.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the dates for Easter and Christmas were both derived from pagan holidays. I believe that this was in order to make the pagans have an easier time with conversion to Christianity.

Doesnt makes Cathilocs "less christian" or believe in multiple gods. It was just a way to make it more accessible to more people. Non-Cathiloc christians still celebrate X-mas and easter on the same dates right?

Doesnt makes Cathilocs "less christian" or believe in multiple gods. It was just a way to make it more accessible to more people. Non-Cathiloc christians still celebrate X-mas and easter on the same dates right?

Personally, I celebrate Christmas everyday of the year

Try singing 'Deck the Halls' in August ont he beach, and man, do you get odd looks.

And Strangely enough, five dollars...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back