How many members here are Christians?

Mavericker

Banned
Hello. I'm a Christian and I would like to know how many other members here are Christians? I'd like ot discuss the Bible and have discussions on issues concerning Christians.

Please introduce yourselves. :D

I'll say what I would say for any religion-based thread - stay on topic, no bashing, and no insulting. That goes for everyone who chooses to participate.

Re: Comics and Christianity

Do we need two threads about this?
In fairness to Maverick, the answer is yes. And I would prefer to keep it that way.

This thread relates to the representation of Christians and Christianity in comic books, specifically. This is a topic that interests me, as long as the conversation is not too one-sided.

Meanwhile, the other thread is a more multi-purpose one, for discussing the faith, in general, including opinions/interpretations about Scripture, dogma, the Apostolic Tradition, etc.

That is a much broader subject, and it (potentially) opens up a much larger can of worms. So I have no intention in participating in it -- despite the fact that I'm a baptized Catholic, who actually has a general interest in certain aspects of Christian theology.

EDIT: Okay, now that it's been merged, I no longer feel like contributing to this discussion any further. I will dutifully ignore any responses to this post.

Last edited:
I've been born and raised a Muslim, but decided that I was an Atheist very early on in life.

So, no. I have nothing further to contribute.

Being that this is a primarily a comic discussion site, prove that there is enough discussion for comics as they relate to Christianity (or anything else), and then we'll see about splitting the threads according to where the discussion goes.

As it is now, you've shown me that you are unable to actually discuss topics, even for threads you start yourself.

I've been looking at some of the Christian comic books/graphic novels, and have actually read (and liked) the following:

Spirit Warriors: this is a black-and-white GN that features a group of teens fighting evil forces, using the power of prayer and a lot of God-given, non-religious abilities. One of the best points of this title is the use of some unconventional characters, including one fellow who may be confined to a wheel-chair who is far from helpless. A couple of the Spirit Warriors look at first like the kind of guys you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley, but turn out to be decent sorts after all. The only real problem I had with the book is that some of the action is confusing -- it's a little difficult to tell what's going on in a few panels, and the book has several lengthy sections with no words. I've only read the first volume, but I expect to pick up the second and third soon.

The other series I've read are the Eye Witness graphic novels. I really like this series, as it deals with an archaeological find that sheds new light on the gospels. The first volume is Eye Witness: a Fictional Tale of Absolute Truth; the second is Eye Witness: Acts of the Spirit, and both are written by Robert James Luedke. Two archaeologists are called to Israel to decipher a text that turns out to be a commentary on the life of Jesus. The narration of the ancient text takes us back for a look at the crucifixion and the events leading up to it. In the present, there is a plot afoot to cover up this mind-boggling find and make the two archaeologists "disappear". Kudos to Luedke for his believable and sympathetic portrayal of Judas (yes, that Judas) that doesn't make the guy sound either totally evil or like something out of the gnostic movement. Both books have a lot of exposition in which characters explain backgrounds or concepts, but I personally found that that added to the story, rather than detracted from it.

A couple of other Christian GNs that I thought sounded interesting but have not yet read: Marked, by Steve Ross; David's Mighty Men, by Javier Saltares; and David, the Shepherd's Song, by Royden Lepp and Darren Brady. If anyone has read them, I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of them.

Veering slightly off-topic, there's a series of DVDs that may someday make the transition to graphic novels, Angel Wars. Again, not something I've seen myself, but a young fellow in my local Christian bookstore pointed them out to me, and they look interesting. (I gravitate toward books that use angels as actual characters. Frank Peretti did some of that in his This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness. I must say that I disagree with his portrayals of Catholics in these books, but that's only a minor portion of the novel.)

I've been looking at some of the Christian comic books/graphic novels, and have actually read (and liked) the following:

Spirit Warriors: this is a black-and-white GN that features a group of teens fighting evil forces, using the power of prayer and a lot of God-given, non-religious abilities. One of the best points of this title is the use of some unconventional characters, including one fellow who may be confined to a wheel-chair who is far from helpless. A couple of the Spirit Warriors look at first like the kind of guys you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley, but turn out to be decent sorts after all. The only real problem I had with the book is that some of the action is confusing -- it's a little difficult to tell what's going on in a few panels, and the book has several lengthy sections with no words. I've only read the first volume, but I expect to pick up the second and third soon.

So, I just wanted to point out something.

I went to the link suggested by Seldes. I perused it. And I was shocked. and horrified. Shocked and Horrified. It's written by Stephen Baldwin, widely regarded as the craziest of the Baldwins. I'm ordering this book. The premise of it sounds like the quintessential PC Saturday morning cartoon from the 80's with a pinch of Jesus. Does anyone remember the gang of kids who used to show up on the Burger King kid's meals? That's what this looks like. Plus, it's written by a Baldwin.

Temper this by the fact that Seldes recommends it, which means it's bound to be a genuinely good book - a genuinely good book written by Stephen Baldwin, who is widely regarded as the craziest of the Baldwins. It's bat **** insanity + retro-Christ goodness + good.

I'm Christian but I don't like God being brought up in the media or in most stories. It rings hollow and it seems to cater to the lowest common religious denominator, which I can assure you...gets pretty low.

I like my entertainment and politics quite separate from my belief in metaphysical concepts.

I'm Christian.

Wanna discuss?- you go first.

EDIT: o wait, im on his ignore list... this probably won't work.

Last edited:
There are many "types" of "Christians", and many of them don't consider other types to truly be "Christians".

I would bet that if asked, most people would consider themselves Christians, whether they adhere to or practice a specific religion, grew up in a church, or closely follow the teachings of Christ.

Personally I am an atheist, but I do enjoy discussing religion in all forms, be it Christian, Muslim, Hindu or Satanism (which actually holds a certain facination for me - due to its non belief in an actual deity, and more a worship of the self).

Catholics are the Classy Christians.

They're also the original. :D

Anyways, I'm a minimalist Roman Catholic. I grew up Catholic and, generally, I try to follow the teachings. There's A LOT I don't believe (Such as. . .the Old Testament or the divinity of the Bible), hence the minimalist designation.

But, technically, I'd be considered a Christian because I believe in the divinity of Christ and try to follow his example. . .or I try to at least, but hey, I'm only human. :wink:

Latest posts

Back